As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Selling a house

GavinGavin Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm selling my house in Kirkland, WA pretty soon, and we're having an agent come out and look at it thursday.

What sorts of things do these people look at when they're inspecting it?

What can I do to help myself out?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

Gavin on

• Options
    CooterTKECooterTKE Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    what it looks like outside, anything that has been updated. My father is law is an agent so i will ask him what he looks like.

CooterTKE on
  • Options
    skyybahamutskyybahamut Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You might need to look at a lot of your fixtures, drawer handels, etc. if they are older than 10 years, you might need to change them to make the house sellable.

you will need to take out alot of your knick-knacks and personal effects, like family photos, kids drawings on the fridge, etc so the prospective buyers can imagine their stuff there.

You may need to move some furnature around. Walls will need to be painted a Nutral color (off-white, beage, a light grey, etc.) No bolds like blue, green, or red.

I am going thru this right now and I feel your pain.

Edit: Apparntly "Bronze" is in for fixture color. Brass is out like a shit you took 2 years ago. themoreyouknow.org

skyybahamut on
    This signature is for SCIENCE!
  • Options
    Sentinel XIVSentinel XIV Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    As far as the construction of your house goes, make sure your foundation is in good shape. This means properly ventilated and plenty of clearance between the ground and the floor of the house. I believe the clearance required is 18 inches on newer houses. Also, you'll want to make sure the vapor barrier is in good shape. Look to see that there is no "wood-to-ground" contact, which basically means you want concrete from house to ground all the way around.

Be sure you know the ins and outs of your roof as well. Knowledge about glacier paper (I'm not sure how much snow Kirkland gets, but we get a ton up here in Tonasket) and the angle of the roof is invaluable.

Other things, like the condition of the siding (if sided), ventinlation for the attic, whether or not there are a bunch of open areas in the eves where bees and wasps can build homes, are important as well.

Sentinel XIV on
    F**K C*N**RS**P!!*!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Thanks all.

I don't know what the fuck I'm supposed to do with all of this Brass now.

BTW my roof is completely level.

Aka retarded.

Wish me luck, I guess. =/

Gavin on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Gavin wrote: »
    Thanks all.

Aka retarded.

Your roof is level? What kind of roofing do you have? Hopefully not shingles.

Sentinel XIV on
    F**K C*N**RS**P!!*!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Thanks all.

Aka retarded.

No, I don't know what the fuck it is.

This house is old.

This house is really old.

Gavin on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thanks all.

Aka retarded.

This house is old.

Its probably a asphalt built up roof also known as a tar roof and they're perfectly fine assuming you maintain them.

khain on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    khain wrote: »
    Thanks all.

Aka retarded.

This house is old.

Its probably a asphalt built up roof also known as a tar roof and they're perfectly fine assuming you maintain them.

And as long as it doesn't get really cold. If it does get cold there, you have to watch for ice dams.

Sentinel XIV on
    F**K C*N**RS**P!!*!