As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rock Band 2 Hits September -- Timed Exclusive for Xbox360

BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/885/885168p1.html
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/885/885167p1.html

To no one's surprise, Harmonix, MTV and EA are preparing an encore for Rock Band later this year. Rock Band 2 is now official -- and it's coming to Xbox 360 this September, with "other platforms" releasing later in the year.

Before you start deleting the dozens of tracks you've downloaded for the first Rock Band, know that RB2 features ground-breaking cross-title compatibility. There is no distinction between Rock Band 1 and Rock Band 2 DLC. Any DLC you've previously downloaded will instantly work with Rock Band 2 and all DLC will continue to work with the original game from here and into eternity. While Harmonix has yet to reveal the number of tracks included on the RB2 disc, with the inclusion of all the previously released DLC, the set list at launch may top 300 songs.

"As successful as the original Rock Band continues to be, we've now had the benefit of the last eight months to listen to our fans' requests and to build upon that foundation," said Alex Rigopulos, co-founder and CEO of Harmonix. "Rock Band 2 is a second-generation band game that will elevate the music game experience to the next level."

As with Activision's recently announced Guitar Hero World Tour, Rock Band 2 features all master recordings on disc. You can also expect major improvements to online functionality and a more "party friendly" set-up so it's easy to get guests rocking out faster.

While all RB1 peripherals will work with the sequel, upgraded versions will be available in a bundle pack. Harmonix isn't revealing what these upgrades are just yet

I didn't see this coming. I wonder how many bajillions MS had to pay to secure the timed exclusive.

Bamelin on

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    But will we have to buy a new drum kit for it, or will we just buy it because it's awesomer than the backwards compatible drum kit from RB1?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    God damnit the first one hasn't even hit over here yet.

W2 on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I guess Australia isn't going to get RB1 at all, then.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is anyone else sensing Beatles for this thing? Like, maybe they even planted the story about the bidding war and being close to a deal and so on?

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Fuck Aerosmith, if there's a band you can make a whole game out of with just their catalog, it's the Beatles.

So... maybe on-disc tracks AND lots of DLC?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Rock Band 2 I expected.

Improvements to the instruments I expected.

Timed exclusive to the xbox 360 however.... I did not.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Awesome! The crappiness of the Rockband Guitar is the only thing that held me back from actually buying the first game myself. Now I'll buy RB2 with the instruments, and gnab RB1 on disc. Sa-weet.

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
  • Options
    AirswoopAirswoop Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    MC Mystery wrote: »
    Awesome! The crappiness of the Rockband Guitar is the only thing that held me back from actually buying the first game myself. Now I'll buy RB2 with the instruments, and gnab RB1 on disc. Sa-weet.

You don't have to use the RB guitar, the GH guitars are compatible.

Airswoop on
    Airswoop.jpg
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    From the interview on IGN.

IGN lady offers these 10 bands saying she wants them in rock band.

Agent Orange
    The Beatles
    Built to Spill
    The Buzzcocks
    Journey
    Led Zeppelin
    Modest Mouse
    Pavement
    The Replacements
    Tool

And HMX's reply
    "Not only have you named some of my favorite bands, but you've also named some of the bands that are on the Rock Band 2 disc. "

so, woot? Speculate on.

Edit: I'm just a smidge surprised that we didn't even get 1 band or a tease of an artist thats going to be on it.

Zephos on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Awesome sauce on making the DLC carry through.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Boy am I glad I picked up a 360 with my stimulus check

I think I'll just get the full package of this one and pick up the Rock Band 1 disc

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Zephos wrote: »
    Edit: I'm just a smidge surprised that we didn't even get 1 band or a tease of an artist thats going to be on it.

Both sides are being quiet now on tracklists....

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Ah this is true, the GI article at least mentions a couple that are likely to be in GHWT

Zephos on
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What's the point? Just gradually ship out improved instruments and milk DLC.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'd gladly pay for a better structured BWT.

Zephos on
  • Options
    MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Airswoop wrote: »

True, but they don't have the sweet effects.

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    What's the point? Just gradually ship out improved instruments and milk DLC.

Online is still not that prevalent.

As an example on 360's flagship game, Halo 3. About 10 million copies sold, only 1.3 million went/are online.

While they've had great DLC sales, releasing a sequel on disc will still bring in a majority of their money.

And hey, people new to RB by buying RB2 will already have the sizable store to buy songs from.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    And for the consoles that DON'T get DLC (PS2, Wii) this is probably how they will get more songs, period.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    FrostyFrosty Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I hope there's a way to add the default setlist from Rock Band to RB2 + DLC

Frosty on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hooray, finally confirmation that the game exists, even though we all knew it was coming eventually. However I certainly did not expect it to launch on 360 only first, in September no less. Nothing better than a new game announcement thats less than 3 months away, as opposed to a certain other big name sequel that was announced this weekend.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Airswoop wrote: »

Only on 360.

I think I'll probably wait before picking this up, then.

I wonder with all their cross-platform stuff if RB1 players will be able to play with RB2 players.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I think it depends on how Live is setup, if different 'games' are allowed to cross-communicate.

If they don't change how Score Duel and Tug of War work, then I could see it being possible to do (although unless that 120 possible tracks includes Rock Band's 54 tracks, it'd be a weird split of songs). I really hope they come up with another competing mode, though.

Score Duel only works across the same difficulty, and I'm the only person around that plays on Expert, and if I drop down to Hard or Medium I'll easily win, everytime.

Tug of War favors the lower difficulty too much. I think out of the 50 games I've played of it against my youngest brother (me on expert or hard, him on medium), I've won once or twice because once you mess up, it's impossible to get the arrow back over to your side, even if you FC the rest of the song.

The only idea I have for revamping Tug of War is that there is no multiplier, and you are graded on how well you complete your segment. I'm pretty sure they could make it so they don't have to retweak RB1 dlc to do that.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wooooo

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You guys are going to get Rock Band 2 before we get Rock Band 1.

WHAT THE HELL?

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    JoJoHoraHoraJoJoHoraHora ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    squirly wrote: »

WHAT THE HELL?

Seriously, and what about the rest of Europe?

JoJoHoraHora on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

WHAT THE HELL?

What? It was only certain parts of Europe?

That's weird.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pearl Jam albums as DLC or we fucking riot.:x

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It'll be pretty ironic if this get's released in Australia before the first one.

Whoop-de-fucking-doo.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If I were a PAL gamer, I'd just get a region 1 console and import everything. You guys get fucked a whole lot, on prices and on releases. I really don't see how you just let this happen, I wouldn't stand for it.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is it too much to hope that Rock Band 2 gets released on PC?
    I think it might be. :|

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoJoHoraHoraJoJoHoraHora ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Willeth wrote: »

WHAT THE HELL?

That's weird.

It's out only in England, France and Germany for the 360.

JoJoHoraHora on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Willeth wrote: »

WHAT THE HELL?

That's weird.

It's out only in England, France and Germany for the 360.
    But wouldn't it be easy enough to export?
    Or is xbox region locking in europe just that crazy?
    ..oh and language...yeah

Hearthjaw on
    steamid: sewersider
  • Options
    crazyjah2003crazyjah2003 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was actually going to buy rock band this afternoon; I already rented a car to get to the closest big city to where I live in order to get it.... They've just ruined the rest of my summer by forcing me not to get rock band 1 now because 2 will be out in just 2 effin months..... Anyway... I'm pissed

crazyjah2003 on
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh god, Agent Orange? Modest Mouse? Built to Spill? Led Zeppelin?!?! D:

So awesome.

Now I'm only left wondering what happens to the songs on my RB1 disc. Will we somehow be able to rip them to the HD or are we going to have to swap discs to play those songs?

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    They did the main thing I wanted: BC with RB1. They stuck by their line, which is: RockBand is a platform. My faith in them remains strong. If I choose, I can just kep RB and continue to get plenty of regular DLC, or I can get RB2, get more songs and more functionality. It's win win. At worst, everything stays the same for me. At best I get more songs, more play options, and more instruments!

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    360 timed exclusive isn't one I was expecting, that's quite a surprise.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ROCK BAND TWOOOOOOOOOO
    Monkeydrye wrote: »
    They did the main thing I wanted: BC with RB1. They stuck by their line, which is: RockBand is a platform. My faith in them remains strong. If I choose, I can just kep RB and continue to get plenty of regular DLC, or I can get RB2, get more songs and more functionality. It's win win. At worst, everything stays the same for me. At best I get more songs, more play options, and more instruments!

100 percent agreed. The fact that they didn't add new instruments or change up the gameplay mechanics enough to warrant purchasing new equipment (...at least based on what we know so far) is what I expected, but I'm still glad to see it affirmed. Despite all of the goofy people saying they wanted a fifth instrument like keyboard or such.

As of this point I have two SG's, an Xplorer, a Les Paul, a Strat and the RB drums and mic; I'm not really interested in picking up new instruments, so I'm glad I'll be able to hook straight into RB2 and hopefully play everything but drums on GH World Tour if I end up getting the latter. The only way I'd buy a newer drumset is if my old one kicks the bucket, but it's doing solid right now. (Guess I should start saving money now :()

I'm quite surprised that they're releasing RB2 in the West ahead of GH World Tour, but I guess that means HMX has been working on the new featurelist this entire time while also streaming out DLC. To me, anyway, the DLC has been coming at an awesome rate, so the bar is set pretty high for the RB2 disc setlist.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It is my belief that it is actually a matter of having the 360 version further completed. As a PS3 person I am a bit disappointed, but waiting 1-2 months won't kill me. Especially since I will still be getting DLC for RB1 :)

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This.... is unexpected. Rock Band 2 less than a year after the original?

It looks like they're doing most things right (BC DLC and peripherals, online BWT) but I'm still a bit wary. I'll have to see what they add.

And the 360 timed exclusivity is weird.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I hope they kill off Tug-of-War mode altogether.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen