As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragons vs Dinosaurs - Pages on page 5 - (let me show you them)

• Options
    mr0rangemr0range Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Okay. one more edit and I have to move on. damn this digital world. I guess I could tweek this forever. I need to move on.

Page2and3splashNEW.jpg

and you can now help shape the look of the comic (more than has already been done)

I'm sketching out the other dragon ... I don't know if I want him to be so "sentient" looking. Standing upright ... I'm not sure. But when I drew it on all fours, it looked like a dog or horse.

dragon1.jpg

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I think I like this one more. This is more the direction I'm looking for.

dragon2.jpg

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    ok. I think I'm getting close.

dragon3.jpg

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Necks. The examples of dragons have long necks. That's probably the main thing that makes them dragony, minus the wings and general impossibility of existence thing. I guess if you don't distinguish these species enough enough it's just going to be DINOSAURS VERSUS DINOSAURS WITH WINGS. Maybe the neck will do it.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i Don't think long necks matter, because that first sketch of the new dragon is awesome, love particularly the head and neck. Wings could do with some more beef where they meet the body though.

Jake! on
  • Options
    The Man with No NameThe Man with No Name __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    A dragon should definitely have a long neck, its a serpent creature, it uses its long neck to better guide itself through flight and eat objects off the ground. Dragons evolved in a world where they were the largest creatures around and thus don't need short stubby necks because their food sources were always much smaller than them, such as humans and cows.

I also don't think the bipedal dragon looks very good. Looks very unnatural.

And the reason the four legged dragon looks like a dog or alligator is because the legs and neck aren't long enough.

That first dragon looks like a balor.

The Man with No Name on
    :whistle:
  • Options
    ACsemperfiACsemperfi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I kinda like it. it looks like a komodo dragon with wings.

ACsemperfi on
    If you wait til the last minute to do something, it only takes a minute to do.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    A dragon should definitely have a long neck, its a serpent creature, it uses its long neck to better guide itself through flight and eat objects off the ground. Dragons evolved in a world where they were the largest creatures around and thus don't need short stubby necks because their food sources were always much smaller than them, such as humans and cows.

I also don't think the bipedal dragon looks very good. Looks very unnatural.

And the reason the four legged dragon looks like a dog or alligator is because the legs and neck aren't long enough.

That first dragon looks like a balor.

Surely with a dragon being a mythical creature he can choose to portray them in any way he wishes, as long as it's differentiated enough from the dinosaurs to be easily recognisable as a dragon in his mythology. I'd agree the dragon in the first image is too close to being a tyrannosaur with wings, but there's no reason a dragon should conform to your very strict anatomical or ecological definition. I'd imagine most people would accept any large reptilian flying creature as one, especially if it also breathes fire.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Wow, I should have made a comic called Long necks vs Short necks!

Haha, anyhow ... I guess I'm partially basing my dragons off of "real life" dragons.

65002414.JPG

komodo-dragon.jpg

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    The Man with No NameThe Man with No Name __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    You know you have drawn a dragon when you could cut off all four of its legs and its wings and have the resulting creature look like a giant fat snake.

The Man with No Name on
    :whistle:
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    And here the editor said I needed to worry about people picking apart my dinosaurs.

I didn't know there were rules to fantasy creatures.
    *trashes black-skinned unicorn concepts*

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You know you have drawn a dragon when you could cut off all four of its legs and its wings and have the resulting creature look like a giant fat snake.

Good god this guy was relentless. I'm loving the concepts personally Mr. OJ

Prospicience on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Just an opposing point of view here, I like the logo. It's goofy, so you know you're not to take the subject matter too seriously.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Mustang wrote: »
    Just an opposing point of view here, I like the logo. It's goofy, so you know you're not to take the subject matter too seriously.

That was sort of the intention of the logo .... but apparently, dragons fighting dinosaurs is serious bizness.

anyhow, I better make with the pages.

next page is guaranteed to be 98% dragon free.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    there's always too many humans in these versus-style books.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Agreed. I had 2 ways I could go, a pretty silent comic with just action and sound effects ... or a story.

I personally would love just a full out action comic of exactly what it's titled.

I do have at one point, I simply scripted "20 pages of dragons and dinosaurs fighting"

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Just for extra kicks, here's the first DvD drawing I did back when it was a joke.

dvd_pic.jpg

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited June 2008
    stuff about dragons

You're bloody hilarious, mate. Welsh dragons and European dragons? You do realize that both of those pictures are from a D&D creatures handbook right? Those are pictures of green and red dragons. This just goes to show that you don't know what you're talking about. They're mythical creatures. They can look however the artist interprets them.

However, if they don't have four legs then they're technically drakes.

Grifter on
  • Options
    primedapeprimedape Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What makes a dragon a dragon (imo):
    • it should have some "lizardy" features (scales, structure of the head, whatever)
    • it should have leathery wings (even if they are small, crippled ones), or at least ones w/o feathers

As to the welsh, european, chinese dragon topic:
    I live in Germany and i have NEVER EVER IN MY LIFE seen a dragon around here. So go figure!:P

primedape on
    Germany - done raiding since 1945!
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    All i have to say is that this thread has made up for the lack of crazy awesome dragons.

h5s all around, sir. I enjoy your rough sketch style a lot too, like the stuff on the last page.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Seriously dude, don't listen to this bullshit about what a dragon should look like. Awesomness comes from originality, in my opinion doing the stereotypical' dragon would lessen your work.

Mustang on
  • Options
    misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Grifter wrote: »
    stuff about dragons
    However, if they don't have four legs then they're technically drakes.

I thought they be wyverns, and Drakes were the lil' piddly dragons.

but yeah, I agree, draw the dragons however the hell you want, otherwise all fantasy art will forever look the same. DnD people do tend to throw tantrums if anything is slightly wrong though, might be something to bare in mind if thats your audience, but I'm guessing the general concensus will be "Dragons killing dinosaurs, I need to go to the toilet"

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Oh yeah. It's an awesome idea. :D But I do think that dragon in the OP just looks like a flying T-Rex.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    so, I was working on a new logo.

I may have gone a bit overboard. I feel like it needs some sort of wailing guitar playing while reading it.

dvd_logoNEWa.jpg

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Hell, if you're gonna go cheezy, have dinosaurs written in dinosaur bones, and dragons written in some wacky bronzed fantasy script.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    NO!!!
    The dragon king has contacted me via telepathy and has informed me that they do not appreciate their name being depicted in stone for the title.
    Traditionally it is man and dwarven kind who have their names forged in stone, and it typically has to be granite.
    The dragon kind prefer a kind of scaled motif or brushed bronze.
    brushed bronze scale motif will put you on their good side.

Of course I was talking to Peruvian dragons, I haven't spoken to Chinese dragons in years, we are sort of at odds right now as I painted one with chin whiskers shorter than the standard 10.8 feet once.
    :P HERE BE DRAGONZZZZ

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    that gave me a good laugh this morning. Which is hard to do.

damn chinese dragons.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The old logo was better. This one would look more at home in the world of movies.

supabeast on
  • Options
    Castle_BuilderCastle_Builder regular
    edited July 2008
    JUst had to say ...

The guy that says dragons are serpents and not dinosaures with wings is a moron.

Dragons come in all shapes ans sized ... essentially the only things they need are scales and wings and a tail ... thats it ... lizard with wings ... short stocky or snake thin and long as hell ... 4 legs 2 legs 8 legs no matter ... every culture has interpreted them differently ... some of the most successful dragon sculpters are nothing more then a raptor with wings and a naked lady riding them ...

i think this are is great and look forward to seeing more ... good job man and congrats on getting the gig

Castle_Builder on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    ok, originally I had my "dino riders" riding t-rexes, but then I saw these guys and said fuck that. Plus. they looked more ridable. This is a drawing from a picture (I'll admit I worked off a picture for this) so I could get the size correct and "interpret" the look in my style.

dinosize.jpg

and this gives an idea of the look of the riders themselves. My next page (in the comic) shows them in clear detail.

dino_rider.jpg

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This looks so cool.

That is all.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Something keeps throwing my eye off on the dinosaurs head....but I can't work out what it is.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Something keeps throwing my eye off on the dinosaurs head....but I can't work out what it is.

The dinosaur in question (Eocarcharia) has a very unusual head/skull "design", which may be throwing off how it looks. The jaw is quite thin. Basically it's a much more leaner t-rex with forearms that actually have use.

anyhow, I've been told my new logo design is something I should reserve for the movie, by multiple people. So I went a tightened up the older logo. People said they liked the 2 fonts distinguishing the "factions".

Now, I just don't know which way the coloring should go.

dvd_lgo2.jpg

dvd_lgo2a.jpg

Just to let you guys know, you're the only forum molding the shape of this comic. I mean that in the sense that the suggestions here have valid points and I trust a lot of opinions here because no one really holds back.

just saying is all.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I dont know how you came up with these fonts, but they dont look that "legit".

I think you should hand draw out your own title/logo and then digitize it up back in the computer. I don't know what you're going for, but these feel too commercial/coloring book/shitty webcomic.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I dont know how you came up with these fonts, but they dont look that "legit".

I think you should hand draw out your own title/logo and then digitize it up back in the computer. I don't know what you're going for, but these feel too commercial/coloring book/shitty webcomic.

I haven't solidified anything yet. I'll keep poking at it. Most people like it but even I am not 100% sure if this is what I want in the end. This is the first "harsh" critique on the logo besides the few comments on the earlier page.

Always enjoy all input. thanks.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008

The dino in question is too AWESOME for you comprehend, that's the problem!

But in that sketch it does almost look like the jaw is dislocated or something, like the jaw wouldn't close flush. That's the only thing I could think that you might be referring to. But it is still totally awesome.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

The dino in question is too AWESOME for you comprehend, that's the problem!

But in that sketch it does almost look like the jaw is dislocated or something, like the jaw wouldn't close flush. That's the only thing I could think that you might be referring to. But it is still totally awesome.

Haha, the cool thing is, this dinosaur was only discovered this year ... maybe 2007. There is very little info and drawings of it, so I have to base the look on 2 pictures on the whole interwebs that I could find.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Which, of course, get's you off the dino-nerd hook. Genius! And sort of ironic that all the criticism has been levelled at your depiction of mythical creatures.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    With the logo, I think the best colour choice would be

Dinosaurs: green
    Dragons: red

as they're the most strong colour associations I have for each creature.

Personally I think the first logo (the movie one) was really weak, particularly the background silhouette. The new (old) one is an improvement over that, but it's still not a great logo. If you are ever using it on a white background then you'd be much better with a full colour gradient rather than fade to white. Also, I'd agree that the typefaces aren't that good. I think you can get away with the bottom face, perhaps with a thinner outline, but the dragon face is just poor.

As is, I don't think this does your work justice.

Jake! on
  • Options
    Popped CollarPopped Collar __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    If you're going to make custom dragons then I don't see why you shouldn't make custom dinosaurs too. Like T-Rexs with horns or spiked tails, saber teeth and stuff. Feathers and frills. A triceratops would also make a cool dinosaur to ride.

Also, try making your logo in a version that uses one solid color. Two colors is distracting and hard to balance.

I also think the logo would look a lot better if it was actually Dinosaurs versus Dragons.

Popped Collar on