As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(Interesing) Video Game reviewers

l0rcal0rca Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
I was wondering what some of the choice video game reviewers you guys know of were.

I like watching Zero Punctuation and Angry Video Game Nerd. I was wondering if there's anyone else of their caliber.

I also tend to like when 1up reviews games, though they're basically generic. What do you guys suggest for us?

l0rca on

• Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I love me some Zero Punctuation, I'll watch certain reviews over again just for a good laugh.

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I always liked Tim Roger's review of Earthbound and James Howell's Metal Gear Solid 2 essay.

They're both a little full of shit, but I like them anyway.

Duki on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I generally like reading Ellie Gibson's reviews on Eurogamer, because she usually gets given crappy games and gets to spout vitriol and abuse for a page or two. Also read anything written by Charlie Brooker, because he wrote the best reviews for PC Zone.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Duki wrote: »
    I always liked Tim Roger's review of Earthbound and James Howell's Metal Gear Solid 2 essay.

Driving Off The Map?

Something about that essay just doesn't sit right with me, though I would recommend everyone who likes MGS/disliked MGS2 to read through it.

Igort on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Igort wrote: »
    Duki wrote: »

Driving Off The Map?

Something about that essay just doesn't sit right with me, though I would recommend everyone who likes MGS/disliked MGS2 to read through it.

That's the one.

Duki on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So am I the only one that really doesn't like Zero Punctuation? I mean, it's not just that I disagree with a lot of his opinions, and he blows lots of stupid things out of proportion in order to have something to be angry about, it's that I don't find it funny at all.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I really like Tim Roger's stuff on [insert credit]. I used to talk to the man himself all the time, which probably makes me a bit biased.

If you read all the way through some of his stories, and how they relate back to the game in question, they are pretty hilarious.
    Especially the one where he was living in a 24/7 internet cafe/game store/restaurant.

EDIT: Also, poor Yahtzee was on G4 once a few months ago, and he seemed so awkward.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Video Gaiden check it out

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So am I the only one that really doesn't like Zero Punctuation? I mean, it's not just that I disagree with a lot of his opinions, and he blows lots of stupid things out of proportion in order to have something to be angry about, it's that I don't find it funny at all.

I don't think those are seperate. I mean, his whole schtick is becoming violently angry about inconsequential things -- and expressing it in odd ways, but still. If that's the kind of thing you find irritating rather than amusing, then there you go.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    yahtzee and angry video game guy because they have a shtick that makes them interesting

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I might be more inclined to think it was funny if it/he wasn't becoming another internet meme.

FanciestWalnut on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Yeah, he's not really all that funny. At all.

AVGN on the other hand... Has made me cry from lauhing multiple occasions.

urahonky on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Same here. I love AVGN but I hate Zero Punctuation. Doesn't help that I prettty much disagree with everything he says, always.

Djiem on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think Yahtzee is hilarious, even when I don't agree with him. Not everyone has the same sense of humor I do though, so meh.

aBlank on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like ZP, though I can certainly understand the positions of its detractors. Can't stand AVGN, though; maybe it's because he rips on such easy targets, or the fact that he often (rather lazily) uses curse words in place of jokes. Or maybe it's that awful fuckin' theme tune.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    I like Kieron Gillen, because he's one of the very few who treats "game reviewing" as criticism - which is to say, he doesn't just write "should I buy this stereo"-style consumer reporting, but works as part of an established tradition that includes Lester Bangs in music, Pauline Kael in film, and Harold Bloom in literature, asking questions like "what is this trying to say and how well does it say it?" and "what does this do to move the medium forward?"

I like him because those are the questions I think about when I think about games. The games that have affected me most deeply were, as often as not, plagued with kludgy controls (System Shock), subpar graphics (Thief), crazy tech issues (Ultima VII/eight million others), bad translations (FFII), stupid design choices (the Infinity Engine games) or whatever. But at the end of the day, if they delivered a memorable enough experience, I'll have forgotten that shit five minutes after playing, and the essence of the game - its soul - will stay with me for years to come, and I'll still be digging those games out of the pile while perfectly competent but generic titles like F.E.A.R and Crysis gather dust in the corner.

And the thing is, that essence can't be measured in a numerical review score. The only way to spot it ahead of time, without shelling out the money on what could just as easily be a frustrating pile of wank, is to read a well written piece of criticism - not a review, necessarily, but criticism - and see the degree to which that critic has been stimulated by the experience he or she has had.

For example: when Deus Ex came out, it had some serious compatibility problems with certain brands of 3D card and took up an ungodly amount of hard drive space for the time - and those were issues that might have given me pause, had not several reviewers (including Gillen, and some of his cohorts at PCG and Edge) come away from it waxing philosophical about the issues it raised and what it all meant. I figured anything that could stimulate those sorts of discussions had to be worth a look, and it turned out to be my favorite game ever.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    AVGN fan myself.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    Same here. I love AVGN but I hate Zero Punctuation. Doesn't help that I prettty much disagree with everything he says, always.

Haha yes, I agree as well, hes a bastard on many levels and it annoys the hell out of me, but a lot of people do like his horrible reviews. I try to find them funny but I cant, I just hate people that bitch about things that arnt true or are so very inconsequential to the actual game. :( On the other hand to appease the people that love him, my friends like him quite a lot. :)

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    I like Kieron Gillen, because he's one of the very few who treats "game reviewing" as criticism - which is to say, he doesn't just write "should I buy this stereo"-style consumer reporting, but works as part of an established tradition that includes Lester Bangs in music, Pauline Kael in film, and Harold Bloom in literature, asking questions like "what is this trying to say and how well does it say it?" and "what does this do to move the medium forward?"

I like him because those are the questions I think about when I think about games. The games that have affected me most deeply were, as often as not, plagued with kludgy controls (System Shock), subpar graphics (Thief), crazy tech issues (Ultima VII/eight million others), bad translations (FFII), stupid design choices (the Infinity Engine games) or whatever. But at the end of the day, if they delivered a memorable enough experience, I'll have forgotten that shit five minutes after playing, and the essence of the game - its soul - will stay with me for years to come, and I'll still be digging those games out of the pile while perfectly competent but generic titles like F.E.A.R and Crysis gather dust in the corner.

And the thing is, that essence can't be measured in a numerical review score. The only way to spot it ahead of time, without shelling out the money on what could just as easily be a frustrating pile of wank, is to read a well written piece of criticism - not a review, necessarily, but criticism - and see the degree to which that critic has been stimulated by the experience he or she has had.

For example: when Deus Ex came out, it had some serious compatibility problems with certain brands of 3D card and took up an ungodly amount of hard drive space for the time - and those were issues that might have given me pause, had not several reviewers (including Gillen, and some of his cohorts at PCG and Edge) come away from it waxing philosophical about the issues it raised and what it all meant. I figured anything that could stimulate those sorts of discussions had to be worth a look, and it turned out to be my favorite game ever.

Good because that gave is fucking awesome, if they, say, turned you OFF of Deux Ex, I was about to spout angryness from my fingers and be all roar, but they didnt, so good, cause seriously, I had a dumpster full of dead bodies as well as an apartment full of dead bodies that kept relighting on fire so I had a big burning pile of bodies, it was fucking awesome, AWESOME.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think I just realized this, but the difference between a movie review and a game review is that a movie review is pointed towards the people who haven't seen it. It's kind of hard to write a good review when your target audience has already made up its mind.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm not crazy about AVGN, but I watch Yahtzee regularly for its humor value.

I'm also a big fan of Tim Rogers and read every review he writes on actionbutton.net. I don't always agree, but I find his reviews very entertaining.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Tom Chick is the best reviewer.

His Rome Total War essay is the best thing ever.

Also, he doesn't sugar coat anything. IIRC his Haze review was, in as many words 'this is shit : avoid'

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Djiem wrote: »

You're either argumentative or insane as he has said a number of things that are basically universal truths.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Name a single one.

Djiem on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The thing with Zero Punctuation is he's a very shitty reviewer..and not very funny..So i'm not entirely sure how the "shitty reviews + horrible humor = pure gold" formula works..but many people here seem to swear by it.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well, he does talk very very fast.

Djiem on
  • Options
    NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ahem subjective issues like humor Ahem.

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I haven't heard from anyone who's disliked Yahtzee's reviews and hasn't basically loved all the games he hates. He expresses his opinion so violently that I think people pretty much have to love or hate him depending on whether or not they agree with him. I enjoy his reviews because I can find them funny even when I have no idea what he's talking about, never having played (or sometimes even heard of) the game he's reviewing.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yahtzee is hit or miss. So is AVGN.

AVGN is funnier when he actually reviews the games though, with actual footage and whatnot. His skits are less so.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I tend to agree 99% with what Yahtzee has to say.

As for other reviewers, things have been so stale for the past couple of years in terms of presentation that I usually just rent or buy something that may or may not interest me.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    LaCabra wrote: »
    I haven't heard from anyone who's disliked Yahtzee's reviews and hasn't basically loved all the games he hates. He expresses his opinion so violently that I think people pretty much have to love or hate him depending on whether or not they agree with him. I enjoy his reviews because I can find them funny even when I have no idea what he's talking about, never having played (or sometimes even heard of) the game he's reviewing.

I don't love all the games he hates, though. As I said, I disagree with "pretty much" everything he says. He just isn't funny to me. He chooses an opinion, expresses it as violently as possible and that's it. And then, yes, add the fact I usually disagree with him. And it's not even like "Oh, that's his opinion, and here's mine, we disagree." The way he explains his opinions make me go: "Ok, he doesn't know what he's talking about here. That's not even how it actually is." It's hard to express, but it's more than just disagreeing on a small opinion. I just find him deeply wrong about almost everything.

Of course, both AVGN and him are hit-or-miss, and I can perfectly accept that someone finds AVGN to suck ass. It just happens that I love his vids and think he's hilarious.

Djiem on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Subjective humour is subjective.

That said, Yahtzee > AVGN in my opinion. While they might both get their Rage on at time, Yahtzee at least manages to stay (mostly) composed and sound intelligent (probably helped by the accent) while doing it. AVGN just goes ape and starts ranting about buffalo ejaculate and how he'd rather swallow rather large vessels of it.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    No, Yahtzee does pretty much always speak the truth and call things as they are, but does draw out and exaggerate the negatives and spend less time on the positives. He does that for everything. Like the Mario Galaxy review? He makes it clear that he's only drawing out the few negatives there actually are with the game.
    Then of course he did diss Brawl, so he's obviously not a reviewer.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    No, Yahtzee does pretty much always speak the truth and call things as they are, but does draw out and exaggerate the negatives and spend less time on the positives. He does that for everything. Like the Mario Galaxy review? He makes it clear that he's only drawing out the few negatives there actually are with the game.
    I never said he wasn't raising valid points when he gets angry, and sometimes there's no better way to drive home the point than getting pissed. For example, the "return to main temple" in PHourglass can, in fact, fuck right off and I'm glad he didn't water it down.
    Then of course he did diss Brawl, so he's obviously not a real reviewer, so I need to get back to filling his email inbox with hatred.

Edited. ;)

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    That wasn't directed at you!
    It was for the others saying he's not a real reviewer and he just spins lies about their favourite games.
    I'm a huge Halo nerd, and I thought his review of Halo 3 was spot on. Some people just need to learn that it's okay to disagree.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    That wasn't directed at you!
    It was for the others saying he's not a real reviewer and he just spins lies about their favourite games.
    I'm a huge Halo nerd, and I thought his review of Halo 3 was spot on. Some people just need to learn that it's okay to disagree.

This is why some people think he spins lies, and you think he points out truths.

Djiem on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't read reviews. At all. And I have enjoyed pretty much every game I have purchased for the last five years or so.

I listen to podcasts, where people's tongues are looser and their tone of voice apparent, and their true feelings about the game can be expressed. I gauge reactions and read discussion on message boards after release. And when it's finally released over here, I buy it if I'm still interested.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I do love the P-A podcasts.

Djiem on
  • Options
    juxtafrasjuxtafras Registered User new member
    edited June 2008
    i've grown tired of the predicable large site reviews and find i disagree with their inflated scores often and end up dissatisfied with games i get by relying on their reviews. i really like yahtzee's reviews. he's hilarious! i also starting searching for more non-biased reviews and found a smaller site named pors. i am starting to like themfor similar reasons to yahtzee: ([URL="http://www.podex.html[/URL]) as well.

both reviewers actually cite problems with games rather than just saying how great the next super-hyped game is (GTAIV, MGS4, etc). nothing gets a free pass. i find that i can predict that the large sites such as gamespot, ign, and gamespy will give the highly hyped games perfect 10s because they are paid off with large advertising budgets. yahtzee and mers seem to be more objective to me. i may not always agree, but i know i'm getting an objective opinion.

i mean check these reviews were definitely not predictable and seemed more credible in my eyes:

MGS4:
    [URL="http://www.20-PS3.html[/URL]

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/99-Metal-Gear-Solid-4

GTAIV:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/48-Grand-Theft-Auto-IV

[URL="http://www.powbox%20360.html[/URL]

juxtafras on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2008
    if you hawk that site one more time you're banned

Tube on