As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rank's sketchdump - two new pieces p10

RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazedby the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
edited November 2009 in Artist's Corner
So, in preparation for going to art school, I'm dusting off my pencils and sketchbook and shaking loose these old bones that have been collecting dust and getting soft working in the digital realm for going on eleven years now, with very, very rare forays back into the analog world of actually drawing something. I'm required, starting back in April and continuing on until I start school in September, to take a 100-sheet sketchbook and fill it, front and back, with four drawings per page, unless otherwise specified in my textbook. The book in question is the excellent Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, which I definitely recommend to folks.

Now, I've been around and dropping advice on folks here and there, but my own mechanical abilities have been a bit lacking and so I feel it is long overdue that I put up or shut up. To complete my assignment, I'm doing a minimum of seven drawings, from live observation only, every single day until I start school. No 2D sources, just things I can see - again, unless specified to do otherwise by my textbook. I've been working on this for the past couple months and have already noticed a lot of progress as I get my chops back and start learning shit again, and hope to keep this thread updated with my progress as I go, right up until I start school again.

Now, before I expose my entire goddamn sketchbook, be warned - I'm doing all of this shit without any formal training whatsoever. I took some art classes in high school, which were a joke (here kids, play with, um, an airbrush for a bit, I'll be out smoking if you need anything), but other than that, I've mostly been doodling.

Most of these drawings are rough and quick. That's a lot of my point, teaching myself to do shit fast, and learn to capture basic detail, form, value, etc. These aren't masterpieces by any stretch of the imagination. Also, the photos suck ass, I'm aware, these were done quickly today on a park bench in mixed light with a mediocre point and click camera. I'm not shooting for portfolio pieces here, dudes, just recording progress.

So. That said, here's the goods, the bads, and the uglies.

(spoilered to prevent jumpy-page syndrome as it loads a buttload of pictures)
PICT0146.jpg
first attempt - drawing faces in a crowd waiting for max brooks to come out on stage and lecture us on proper zombie survival tactics.

PICT0147.jpg
four drawings straight from the textbook, as a point of reference to compare progress later - a self portrait, a picture of someone from memory, my hand and my foot.

PICT0148.jpg

quick sketches sitting in my grandparents' house

PICT0149.jpg

more quickies

PICT0150.jpg

line work and exercises from the textbook.

PICT0151.jpg

handwriting samples and copying drawings upside down, to learn to separate what you see from what you perceive.

PICT0152.jpg

another upside down, a exercise bike seat, a terrible sketch of my cat before he fucked off and went somewhere else, and an attempt to recreate the most iconic sketch from childhood I could recall, as instructed by the book.

PICT0153.jpg
line practice (following the lines and cracks in my hand without looking at the paper) and a couple from observation - my hand and my shoe.

PICT0154.jpg

quickies, including a malformed sketch of my wife. she's a goddamn trooper, she's constantly posing for me to draw, and is a goddamn great sport about all this.

PICT0155.jpg

value study of my hand

PICT0156.jpg
and again. both done using a frame and tracing the outline from my vantagepoint, then transferring the tracing to paper, then copying value using an eraser and soft pencil on pre-shaded areas.

PICT0157.jpg

quickies - a sandman action figure, a corner of my parents' house, a tree and some skater kid that held still for about two minutes

PICT0158.jpg

people in a restaurant

PICT0159.jpg

more drawings in a restaurant. my proportion is fucking abysmal still at this point

PICT0160.jpg

nice value studies

PICT0161.jpg

quick sketches done at a family reunion

PICT0162.jpg

more of the same

PICT0163.jpg

aaaand more of the same

PICT0164.jpg

yup. more from the reunion, then a negative-space study on the chair

PICT0165.jpg

I cheated on these. rainy as hell outside, I was tired, I used the 90-second random poses web page for these, felt stupid for doing so later, and haven't cheated like this since.

PICT0166.jpg

a candlestick and my wife asleep

PICT0167.jpg

I like that one of my wife sleeping here, and my foot came out okay. Others - a small shelf in my living room and my cat asleep on his tower. The only time the little bastards will pose for me.

PICT0168.jpg

two assignments from the book, and two shitty sketches of things I could see from the couch.

PICT0169.jpg

more meh

PICT0170.jpg

aaand more meh

PICT0171.jpg

still more meh. I was losing enthusiasm at this point.

PICT0172.jpg

some sketches from local parks. I like the little roof spire thing, I've done a few more at that same park, it's got great old decaying barns and stuff. It was actually once a fully functioning farm for a completely self-sufficient mental hospital that was closed in the 60s, and now is a public park. Neat stories about that place, but for another time.

PICT0173.jpg

three more from the park, then a value and texture study of a big crack in a sandstone boulder at a local beach

PICT0174.jpg

two more from that beach/park - a negative space study, then two friends of mine sitting next to an amazing waterfall we found. That was a fun day. Also, two more of my wife.

PICT0175.jpg

more shit I could see from the couch. All meh.

PICT0176.jpg

quickies from a picnic.

PICT0177.jpg

same picnic.

PICT0178.jpg

I draw from the couch a lot, when the weather is bad or it is dark already. I work full-time 8 am to 5 pm, so my drawing windows are limited.

PICT0179.jpg
more from that park with the barns and shit.

PICT0180.jpg
some toys at a friend's house and a gravestone - I've found that graveyards are nice, well-tended and quiet places to draw landscape and interesting non-organic shapes, and nobody ever fucks with you in a graveyard.

PICT0181.jpg
more graveyard stuff.

PICT0182.jpg

my poor wife...

PICT0183.jpg
she's a goddamned trooper

PICT0184.jpg
another one of her asleep, and a couple studies from the high school. Funny thing about this? I never did jack shit for homework when I attended the school, but now I go there to get homework done for a different school. Whatever, it seemed funny at the time.

PICT0185.jpg
mundane objects. Actually sort of like these.

PICT0186.jpg
getting a little better at proportion, but still, I haven't really managed to get a grasp on capturing likeness

PICT0187.jpg
why the long face? Actually, it's hard to tell in this shot, but the second picture of her turned out really neat, and something about it strikes me every time I look at it. Also, here's some shit from another fucking park.

PICT0188.jpg
aaaaand more parks and exercises in making my wife look droopy and weird.

PICT0189.jpg
stuff at my friend's house

PICT0190.jpg
a corner of his living room, a malformed self portrait, and a couple things from my comfy-ass couch.

PICT0191.jpg
her asleep, me in a mirror, a soda bottle and her at the computer looking manish apparently

PICT0192.jpg
the can of fixative there actually turned out pretty decent. the rest? I was fucking tired

PICT0193.jpg
woah there crooked eyes.
the one of the salt shaker and the one of my cat turned out okay... getting better at focusing on what I see rather than what I think I see, and translating that into drawings.

PICT0194.jpg
my messy closet, my cat holding kinda still, me making a dumb face and my wife talking on the phone

PICT0195.jpg
decent sketches of mundane items, except the barbecue is all sorts of wonky and misshapen

PICT0196.jpg

sorry babe

PICT0197.jpg
stuff from the zoo. I was laughed at by some friends for drawing a statue of a lion while at the zoo, but fuck off it was the only one that would hold still

PICT0198.jpg
man those faces what the hell? also a sleeping wallaby and another one that wouldn't fucking hold still whoops

PICT0199.jpg
two emus, a tree and a bear cave

PICT0200.jpg
man, komodo dragons are awesome.

PICT0201.jpg
the gorilla is a fucking massive creature that is difficult to draw when the zoo is about to close.

PICT0202.jpg

PICT0203.jpg

PICT0204.jpg
alright, here is where I got to the part of the textbook that fucking slapped me upside the head and said "here's how human heads are goddamn proportioned, now stop rushing and start fucking taking measurements. set a basic unit and use it." and voila progress quick.

PICT0205.jpg
my cats are awesome.

PICT0206.jpg
the top right is the first drawing of my wife I actually like, and it almost looks like her. The one of me was from a reflection in the window, and I actually did manage to capture my cat's likeness here a bit. He smiles like that when he snuggles with his favorite pillow.

PICT0207.jpg
the picture doesn't do much good here, but the sketch of the barn at the top right is actually really awesome. I used a mechanical pencil, took my time to get good clean lines to build the shape, and then used a mix of hatching and solid shading to get a really nice result.

PICT0208.jpg
and the rest of last night's drawings. a sprig of sage, another mundane, and a picture of my wife and my cat.

I'll probably post more about once a week or so, as I don't really have my own camera to use and I had to borrow one from work to get these. I'd love some feedback or tips on what/where to draw, whatever, but I'm more just posting this shit to record progress. These were done over the course of two months, I have about two and a half to go before I actually start school, and I'm excited by the prospect. Just seeing what I've done so far has me really encouraged to see what happens once I've got some actual training going.

8406wWN.png
Rankenphile on

• Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    your value studies are my favourite - they're incredibly well done.

i would be interested to see what you could do with some charcoal, which might force you to focus completely on values instead of any lines at all. what i notice on some of the more realistic drawings is that you tend to put an outline on them - habit if you're used to doing cartoons, i do it too!

lots to say but i'll come back later when i am more awake!

mully on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Those zoo ones were great. Go back to the zoo. :D

Total improvement from top of this page to the bottom. Thinking stuff all the way down, but have forgotten it by the time I got here. Ha ha.

Um, it'd be cool to see some more full bodied humans. Like head to toe? Just try to fit it in there in those little boxes, even if it's just someone walking past you, try to capture that split second even if it's only like, a 30 second drawing.

Upside down drawings looked really nice too. More fabric studies too, but your shiny objects are really nice.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Like the above said, your value studies, negative space, and upside-down exercises are pretty damn good, which leads me to believe that you've got a ton of talent, and you just need more practice.

So keep at it.

I would suggest once in a while taking the entire page to do one drawing, and put a lot of effort into it - plan proportions, do a thumbnail sketch, work up from a skeleton, etc. Take your time and look carefully and it should come out great.

Go back to the zoo, and draw more barns.

I noticed that your graveyard monuments and cans are kinda curvy; try taking a second, as above, to sketch out the general proportions of the image, including the objects around it for scale. It might feel redundant, but the extra planning will pay off in the realism of your image.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Very nice stuff, Rank. You've obviously got a good base going in, and your classes will help you fine-tune everything you've already learned yourself.

I definitely admire your dedication. I've never had the tenacity to go through these types of exercises outside of school. Good luck to you and keep us updated on your progress.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Great! This is the best way to learn, with out a doubt. If you keep up with this, you will be a star in no time!

One note though, you do know they make smaller sketchbooks, right? :P But since you have a big one, dont be affraid to take the time and draw something full scale every few pages/days. Seeing your drawings larger help you to see the mistakes easier, and will help you learn faster.

Im so happy to see someone doing this right. Please keep this up!

Sublimus on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    as for drawing full-page sketches - no can do. This is actually an assignment for school, and unless the textbook says to use a full page, I have to draw on quarter-pages. And my schedule doesn't really allow for a lot of time for doing other drawings for fun, I've got my hands full just trying to get these 800 finished by September. And drawing in a smaller sketchbook isn't allowed either - 8x11 minimum.

Yeah, I'm aware the monuments came out a bit curvy, but I'm just now starting to get the hang of not being lazy and actually sighting in my subjects with the edge of my pencil and then transferring the readings by hand. I do need to do more full-body stuff, but that's tough when my subject is usually my wife and she's most often sitting at her laptop about six feet away from me and I only have the tiny quarter page to work from.

I'm frustrated drawing trees and stuff, they're not real compelling subjects and are a pain in the fucking ass to get to look right, as they're basically patterned randomized organic textures with complicated light schemes, but they tend to be the most accessible things to draw at the local parks. I try to go to places like the zoo and stuff whenever I can, but god damn I've got my hands full, what with working full time, planning a wedding (christ, that is only like four weeks away) and still trying to do things like eat and sleep.

One way or the other, though, I'll get through it. I just yesterday crossed the point where I've completed a third of the sketchbook. Still a long ways to go, and a lot of improvement to make. I'm really, really, really looking forward to quitting my job and getting back into school, though. I can't wait to get back into that environment and really challenge myself. I've already noticed a huge improvement on my doodlings, I've done a few while at work waiting on my slow-ass computer to render video, and they look night and day better than the cartoony, distorted drawings I used to do. It had gotten to the point where my doodles were just exercises in drawing the same few shapes with slight variation, and now I'm drawing pretty realistic little sketches just from using remembered techniques, shapes and logic of shape and light.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    PICT0187.jpg

The portrait on the top right is the best in the thread.

Good job!

This is actually really inspiring!

DeeLock on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    heh, thanks, man, that's one of my favorites, too. I think it doesn't hurt being right next to that other incredibly wonky one of her, but yeah, it turned out great.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    now I'm drawing pretty realistic little sketches just from using remembered techniques, shapes and logic of shape and light.
    well, fuckin' woot then - those basic techniques are the foundation of your entire future artistic career, and they're coming along awesome

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I didn't know you were married.

Awesome work by the way. I look forward to the day where I get to play a game you had some creative design wit.

Meiz on
  • Options
    Drew_9999Drew_9999 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I realize that you have to do four drawings per page, but are you required to split the pages into fourths like that? How annoying for you. If not, I'd skip drawing the grid and just do things that take up roughly 1/4 of the page. Your pages will look better, you won't be trying to cram a drawing into a small space, and you could play around with composition to make an interesting page over all. You could have a reclined pose that takes up the entire top 1/4 of the page, then three standing poses underneath. It's not really a bit deal, but even not drawing the grid and allowing the drawings to overlap into each other's space a bit would make for a much more pleasing page.

Also, you make me feel lazy.

Drew_9999 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    yeah, it really is "quarter the page, draw in those quarters"

and this exercise isn't about having pleasing compositions. It's about practice, practice, practice. Hell, many of the drawings I have aren't pleasing to the eye at all, but that's not the point. If I can make really cool looking drawings, so much the better, but this is all about learning technique and practicing those methods, not making masterpieces in any sense of the word.

I'm still on pace at 7 drawings per day. This weekend I fell a little behind, only getting five done Friday and six Saturday (damn Spore Creature Creator) but I powered through and managed to get ten done yesterday. I might be able to borrow a camera again tonight, I'll try to post some more work as soon as I get a chance.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Meiz wrote: »
    I didn't know you were married.

Awesome work by the way. I look forward to the day where I get to play a game you had some creative design wit.
    kinda sorta technically married. we signed the paperwork early for financial aid reasons, but the wedding/ceremony deal isn't until July. It's just easier to use the word "wife" than it is to say "fiancee".

and you and me both, dude.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Awesome stuff. I'm starting art school myself in the Fall, and I need to get into a routine like this. Unfortunately right I'm working full time and taking summer classes so.... As soon as I have some time though, I'll be looking at this thread for inspiration.

anable on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    do it anyway, anable

get a sketchbook and just give yourself a quota - 4 drawings every day. Keep a timer on you (I carry a little digital kitchen timer) and force yourself to do them in 15 minutes each. You can find an hour a day to draw, even if it is just an hour before bed.

I'm finding one of the biggest things about this is that it forces me to be more creative with what I draw, and to do things that I may have drawn before, whereas normally I'd just say "I don't feel like drawing that again" and find something more fun to do.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, I really wish I could commit myself to that, but honestly, between school and work I'm pulling 14 hour days before I get a chance to study. I have no idea what I was thinking when I decided to take both of my sciences over the summer. And a lab.

On a lighter note, I should have the entire month of August to get ready so that's still over 100 drawings (assuming four a day).

anable on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    update time. Another week's worth of drawings. Spoilered again to prevent jumpy page.
    PICT0146-1.jpg
    the lodge at a local park, a stump, a crappy tree, and a lookout on top of a hill.

PICT0147-1.jpg
    a leaf (turned out nice), a plastic tree from Heroscape or whatever, some troll dude from Heroscape, and a rootbeer bottle. I like how the troll came out, a whole lot.

PICT0148-1.jpg
    a quickie of this dude sitting at a table across from me. Did it real fast because I didn't want him to think I was some weirdo. Also a chainsaw carving at another park, an xbox controller and my hand holding my sketchbook. How meta. :|

PICT0149-1.jpg
    a house, a weeping willow tree, a stand of trees at a park and a corner of my parents' kitchen.

PICT0150-1.jpg
    this turned out blurry as hell, which sucks, because the self-portrait turned out awesome for a quick sketch (25 minutes or so). Also, a ring I wear a bunch, the corner of my brother's kitchen and a gravestone.

PICT0152-1.jpg
    a sloppy one at the cemetery, a decent barn, my wife reading and a cool picture of looking through a barn just as the sun was going down.

PICT0153-1.jpg
    Another barn and some decent pictures of my wife, sorta.

PICT0154-1.jpg
    More wife. First her butt, then her top. A soda can, sans the labeling (trying to recreate the reflection, did a decent job). Also, my awesome little drawing stool - I fucking love this thing. $4 at the sportsmen's outlet, slips into my backpack and I can set up and draw anywhere I go.

PICT0155-1.jpg
    bad drawing of the missus, a decent cat, a better picture of a dessert bowl, and another bad picture of the wife.

PICT0156-1.jpg
    glass of milk, shoes, a knit blanket that turned out looking like guts, and a pack of smokes.

PICT0157-1.jpg
    some mundane objects, a quick hand study, a cat littler bucket and a nice texture/value study of my backpack.

PICT0158-1.jpg
    bad picture of my wife, decent picture of my wife and a decent hand pic.

Again, I'm noticing a lot of progress, but know I still have a long, long way to go. When I take my time to get proportion right and take measurements, I get a lot better result, and that's really helpful. Also, I'm noticing my shading is getting stronger - I'm able to recognize and reproduce better, more accurate shadowing, like on the last sketch of my hand - I'm able to build crest shadows and reflected light in shadow to get a much stronger result.

Thoughts? Feedback?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Your at a point where I dont really know what to say except keep up the good work. Because as the assignment sort of dictates, its all about quantity over quality. This early on, dedication is key. And making a habit of it will get you far.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    yeah, that's what I'm shooting for. It really is about just pumping out tons of stuff and learning little bits as you go. It's tough not being in a classroom environment where I can get instructor feedback or anything, and having a lack of structure and subjects really makes me sort of force myself to find interesting bits about mundane things and hope I'm doing it right.

I'm sort of at a loss in some respects as to what to really focus on, but at this point I think I'm best off just keeping my head down and my hands busy and seeing what happens.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    rank i demand more sketches

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If I could give you one piece of advice, it would be to make sure you're not keeping your head down TOO much. Looking at your references is very important, and when you find yourself with your head down, not looking back to check the accuracy of your lines, proportions, volumes, etc, it's because you've started to improvise instead of paying attention to your reference.

I can see that happening in some of your earlier work, where you just let your brain finish the piece, with less than favorable results. You're getting better for sure, but the biggest way to improve is to be aware of it.

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    If I could give you one piece of advice, it would be to make sure you're not keeping your head down TOO much. Looking at your references is very important, and when you find yourself with your head down, not looking back to check the accuracy of your lines, proportions, volumes, etc, it's because you've started to improvise instead of paying attention to your reference.

I can see that happening in some of your earlier work, where you just let your brain finish the piece, with less than favorable results. You're getting better for sure, but the biggest way to improve is to be aware of it.
    yeah, I've noticed the same thing, and I'm working at getting better at it.

I'm going to try to update tonight, if I remember to grab the camera before I leave. I've had a couple really nice pieces this week. A number of others that came out meh but I'm definitely noticing steady improvement.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    crap. Got home and realized there were no batteries in the camera. I'll try to get some tonight.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    DragDrag Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's a little hard to tell from the the stuff you posted, but a lot of your shading stuff seems to have a bit of a scratchy, uneven quality to it. Have you tried doing more with hatching and cross-hatching? This page was linked in another thread, and has some pretty good stuff: http://artsillustration.com/shading_tips.htm

Also, have you tried going through Kimon Nicolaides' The Natural Way to Draw? It's fairly similar to Betty Edwards' material, except super-hardcore, pretty much. It might help you along the way to your goals a bit better, seeing as how you're going to be a serious art student soon. If you've got plenty of time each day to draw (like three hours), you could pick it up from the library and give it a shot.

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    yeah, I'm still trying to get a bit more comfortable with shading method and technique. I've used some hatching, which is hard to convey on such small photos of the pencil, but it had great effect. I'm finding I enjoy the control offered by a mechanical pencil far more than softer lead pencils, since I can be virtually guaranteed a more precise line, but they take a lot longer to create drawings with.

I'll keep an eye out for that book, but right now between working full time, trying to get through my daily allotment of drawings, planning a wedding and trying to take care of my house, my fiancee and everything else, my hands are pretty damn full. Once I get the wedding done with, hopefully shit will calm down a bit.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hey man, I enjoy what you are doing here, keep up the work!

PICT0174.jpg

I REALLY like that tree in the top left, idk why. It's just really well done in my opinion. That and it makes the guy on the bottom look like he has antlers.

Obilex on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    that guy's my wife.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    icon_neutral.gif

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    (ahaha no big deal dude, a bunch of the drawings of her turned out pretty odd and mannish. Still working on capturing likeness and stuff, and have a LONG way to go in that regard. In fact, she often says that my drawings of her make her look like Anthony Hopkins. Thanks, babe.)

Okay, update time. Not a huge amount of pictures, so I'll leave them out of spoilers for now.

PICT0149-2.jpg
    A rerun from last page, except the bottom right hand drawing is new.

PICT0150-2.jpg

More mundanes.

PICT0151-1.jpg

more bad pictures of my wife, a quick plant drawing and another hand.

PICT0152-2.jpg

A decent barn that I had to stop before I could finish and some lousy roughs.

PICT0153-2.jpg

some more lousy pictures of the wife, and a really nice self portrait, and yet another hand.

PICT0154-2.jpg

a better shot of the self portrait, since I liked it so much. Hopefully this shows a bit more detail.

PICT0155-2.jpg

Some mundane still lifes from my parents' house. The top left is terrible, it's a garden hose winder thing, and it came out all fucked, but I was rushed as it was almost dinner time. THe others turned out okay.

PICT0156-2.jpg

this is more like it. More mundanes (the bottom left is a really bad picture of a plastic bag full of dirt - it was a terrible choice of subject. Why draw something that is shapeless to begin with?). The bottom right is a cap for a water bottle and it turned out pretty smooth.

PICT0157-2.jpg

quick shots. My cat, asleep (until he moved), my knee and foot against a blanket, my wife asleep, yet another hand study.

PICT0158-2.jpg

another shitty wife drawing - man, I don't know how she puts up with me. Her face is far too scrunched up, and stretched vertically while smooshed horizontally. urgh. However, the hand study and the two still lifes below it really were encouraging. I've taken better detail shots of the bottom two, below, to show them off because they really feel like progress.

PICT0159-1.jpg

PICT0160-1.jpg

these make me feel a lot more encouraged to keep plowing through this assignment.

PICT0161-1.jpg

mundanes again. The top right is part of a statue of a rooster at my mother's place. She has tons of chicken stuff all over the house. She collects roosters. Yes, that's right, I said it - my mother can't get enough cocks. *sigh* Anyway, the statue sketch is unfinished because I was racing the remaining daylight and it won.

PICT0162-1.jpg

a shitty self portrait and some roughs. The nail polish one turned out okay.

PICT0163-1.jpg

GOD WHY DO ALL MY DRAWINGS OF MY WIFE MAKE HER LOOK DROOPY AND HUGE AND MANNISH?!? Her face is lousy, but her clothes and body turned out good. Also, that stapler image - I'll get to that in a minute.

PICT0164-1.jpg

More mundanes. Really getting happier with my ability to convey simple objects.

PICT0165-1.jpg

Decent quick pencil self portrait, but my eyes kept giving me shit so I abandoned it and moved on. I like this hand study on the bottom right a lot.

PICT0166-1.jpg

Fire is awesome. A few points on each of these drawings turned out pretty encouraging. The lighter, in particular, works well, but it is a pretty simple item to convey.

PICT0167-1.jpg

and the last of what I've done so far. Another of my mother's cocks, her porch, my wife falling asleep at the computer and a quick hand job.

Okay, now, remember that stapler picture?

31979478.jpg

side-by-side of two drawings, done exactly one month apart, entirely by accident. Not exactly "holy crap, Rank, you're ready to go into the Stapler Drawing Business!", but it certainly shows progress.

I've actually fallen behind my pace of 7 every day this past week, just due to the fact that I've been working like crazy at my job, plus trying to get these wedding plans taken care of. I'm going back to the zoo in a couple weeks, and i'm sure I'll have a deficit to make up then, as the days are only getting more hectic, but I'm making a point of getting at least a few done every day, if not the full seven.

as always, thoughts and crits and suggestions are very appreciated.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    RavenqueenRavenqueen Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think the title of this thread says it all draw every day, your sketches are good and the more you do the better they will get. Stay loose...

Ravenqueen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Things are really coming along! I can already see many improvements since your last update.

Something I noticed is that you draw certain elements larger than others, in order of their importance, visual appeal, or based on their perceived difficulty. This can be seen especially in your self portrait. The eye is largest, the nose next, and the mouth is incredibly tiny compared to the rest of the facial features.

Believe it or not, this phenomenon is actually quite common, and is another one of those things that will get better as you become aware of it. Keep posting, and keep up the good work. I can actually see from piece to piece that you are becoming better. :D

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Things are really coming along! I can already see many improvements since your last update.

Something I noticed is that you draw certain elements larger than others, in order of their importance, visual appeal, or based on their perceived difficulty. This can be seen especially in your self portrait. The eye is largest, the nose next, and the mouth is incredibly tiny compared to the rest of the facial features.

Believe it or not, this phenomenon is actually quite common, and is another one of those things that will get better as you become aware of it. Keep posting, and keep up the good work. I can actually see from piece to piece that you are becoming better. :D
    That's actually one of the things Betty Edwards mentions in the Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain book. I actually just finished reading that chapter, and am trying to be more conscious of that fact. Appreciate the comment, this is good encouragement to keep going.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    Rank this is very admirable and one of the best ways to improve. I don't know if you've ever seen those threads where someone posts a drawing nearly every day for a few years and you see the insane improvement they have, but yeah it's really just about drawing a lot.

With that said, I know it wouldn't be for the assignment, but it might be a good idea to take an hour or two every few days or once a week or whatever and just really observe something and take your time on it getting the proportions right, measuring points relative to eachother and seeing all the subtle values.

These are also really good. Have you looked into doing life drawing sessions with a model or doing gestures?

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    bombardier wrote: »
    Rank this is very admirable and one of the best ways to improve. I don't know if you've ever seen those threads where someone posts a drawing nearly every day for a few years and you see the insane improvement they have, but yeah it's really just about drawing a lot.

With that said, I know it wouldn't be for the assignment, but it might be a good idea to take an hour or two every few days or once a week or whatever and just really observe something and take your time on it getting the proportions right, measuring points relative to eachother and seeing all the subtle values.

These are also really good. Have you looked into doing life drawing sessions with a model or doing gestures?
    I've looked into paying a ridiculous amount of money for the next four years to pay for classes where I get to do that, starting in about two months

so yeah, kinda :P

and yeah, once I get through this assignment and all the other hellishly stressful things this summer, I'm sure I'll have a lot more time to do precisely that.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    no update this week, unfortunately. I've been absolutely swamped with preparations for the wedding this weekend, so no drawing has been getting done. I'm planning on returning to the zoo on tuesday and getting right back into the fray as soon as that ring's on my finger, but for now it has had to take a back seat.

sorry.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    I was actually just going to ask but that makes sense!

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    alright, just so you know, I haven't stopped doing this. I just lack a camera.

Because of the wedding, finding a new place to live and an unfortunate incident where I threw my back out and was surfing the couch for a week, I went a few days without getting any progress done, and have had intermittent issues getting back into the full swing of things, but right now I'm at a point where my daily quota has swollen from seven a day to over ten. I'm cranking through them best I can, and have noticed a real slip in progress when I took a break, which gives me even more motivation to keep at this and work hard - plus the fact that I'm starting school in about three weeks - but I'm back in this with renewed effort and will be posting more photos as soon as I can get access to a camera.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You've got demonic dedication, Rank- I've never seen anyone work so hard at this. Good luck with everything.

Tam on
  • Options
    bboyKRILLINbboyKRILLIN Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well done with this, it shows a real dedication.

Quick question, i've not read every comment so forgive me if it's been asked already, but do you build up the sketch with rough light lines as a foundation first before diving into the final sketch? i'm just curious as it's kind of hard to see the detail in these photos, and if you don't already i'd advise you to start, it really helped me when i learnt about breaking down the form of an object or person into rough simple shapes and masses and blocking in with those before refining those shapes into a finished sketch.

Keep up the good work and best of luck once your course starts!

Peace.

bboyKRILLIN on
    BBOY KRILLIN's ART cause i likes to draws an stuff
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Tam wrote: »
    You've got demonic dedication, Rank- I've never seen anyone work so hard at this. Good luck with everything.

Pfft, if my dedication were half what it should be for this program I'm about to enter, I wouldn't have fallen so far behind. Getting out of the work environment, moving to a new area and actually entering the school environment where I'm doing this all day long should help, so that I don't have the "I'm at work, I can't draw, I'm at home I don't want to work" situation. A lot of the time, I find that the biggest problem I have in staying motivated is due to location. If I'm out on an expedition finding shit to draw, I'll plow through stuff. But when I get home, christ, I'm so good at self-distraction. If I'm in an environment that I trael to with the express purpose of getting work done, I'll get work done, but coming home for me has always been a signal that "work's done, time to do home things". This may come as a problem in a few weeks when homework becomes a very real part of my life, but I'm going to be living across the street from the school, literally, so I'll be able to go there and do homework. Again, physical separation. Shit, right now I'm self-distracting myself again by dicking around on the computer. Grrrrr
    Well done with this, it shows a real dedication.

Quick question, i've not read every comment so forgive me if it's been asked already, but do you build up the sketch with rough light lines as a foundation first before diving into the final sketch? i'm just curious as it's kind of hard to see the detail in these photos, and if you don't already i'd advise you to start, it really helped me when i learnt about breaking down the form of an object or person into rough simple shapes and masses and blocking in with those before refining those shapes into a finished sketch.
    I try to, sometimes, but I find myself having a hard time sizing things correctly - I tend to start creating a shape, when it is something complex like a human face or something, but get bogged down playing with detail - I find I tend to start with the eyes first and work my way out, which is a terrible practice to stay in, but I'm having a hard time breaking out of it. I'm working on it, though, and I'm sure getting in a classroom environment where I can draw objects a little further away from me than across the couch would help in me working on capturing that aspect, as I'm better able to take in the negative space. Working on a full-size sheet of paper, rather than a measly quarter of one, would make a big difference, too.

thanks for the encouragement, guys. Now I really gotta get back to drawing

edit: oh shit, now my landlord just called right as I was about to hit submit and she wants to bring people through my apartment tomorrow afternoon and the place is a fucking wreck, now I gotta spend all day cleaning and packing and argh I'm never going to get caught back up.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png