As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Image site for 15k pics or so?

LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, so I just got back from my short term study abroad to China (which was awesome) and I took a ton of pictures. Not the 15k listed though. As a group we decided to find a site and just have someone make an account and send the site and password to everyone and have everyone upload their stuff. If I use my pictures as a baseline (I took about 600) then between all 25 of us thats about 15,000. Granted that number will be pruned because of bad pictures, some people not taking as many, and a couple people not having a camera, but is there any site that would let us do that?

I dont see a limit on photobucket but I dont know if that means there is no limit or if I just cant find it. I know flickr has a 200pic cap unless you get a pro (which might be worth it with this many pictures but Im not sure). Facebook wont work as only a few of us have an account there and the 60pic cap on an album means there would be tons of albums to make for each person. I think we would prefer a free site but with this many pictures that might not be an option.

So, any ideas?

Lardalish on

• Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Why do you want the photos online? Flickr is great if you want to be able to tag your stuff for easy searching or if you geotagged it and want it viewable by location. For $25, split between all of you, that'd be my vote. Photobucket is a nightmare to have to work with and most other photo hosting sites are more expensive (Smugmug and the like).

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, we want them online because it was a national trip thing. Im with the Art Institutes which are all over the country, so its kinda hard to just got grab em on a jump drive. It also makes it kinda hard to to collect money from everyone. I might just take one for the team, buy a pro account, let em upload and grab whatever, and then just let it go back to a normal account after a month or however long that $25 will get me.

Lardalish on
  • Durandal InfinityDurandal Infinity Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If you have a mac id almost suggest .Mac/MobileMe just because uploading from iPhoto is easy as hell. If not the Flickr prem may be your best bet.

Durandal Infinity on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Flickr is the way forward, but if you stop paying then visitors can only see your last 200 photos.

Flickr also limits you to 2GB upload a month. For what you are talking about, you probably have more than that. You're going to have to work around the limitations, because it is the best course of action.

Plus, it is totally worth the money.

Lewisham on
  • LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Flickr is the way forward, but if you stop paying then visitors can only see your last 200 photos.

Flickr also limits you to 2GB upload a month. For what you are talking about, you probably have more than that. You're going to have to work around the limitations, because it is the best course of action.

Oooh, 2 gigs a month, that will be slow uploading. Maybe it would be better to make several accounts for a lesser site? Cause if everyone took pics like me that would be like 12 gigs of stuff, and I know some people had 8mp cameras, mines only 5. Thats atleast 6 months there. That isnt really an option.

Lardalish on
  • DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Alternatively just set up a website somewhere and use Gallery2 or a similar photo gallery software.

Daenris on
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How about multiple Flickr accounts, but give them all the same unique tag (like just a random combination of letters) so you can browse them all at once? That'd be like 75 accounts for 15,000 photos though..

I second Daenris' idea, though I'm not sure you'd find any free hosting that would let you upload so much stuff.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd just sign up for a pro accout at one of those file hosting sites.

It looks like for what you need Sendspace would cost you about 18 bucks (you pay by bandwidth) and rapidshare would run 7 euros for a month.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lardalish wrote: »

Oooh, 2 gigs a month, that will be slow uploading. Maybe it would be better to make several accounts for a lesser site? Cause if everyone took pics like me that would be like 12 gigs of stuff, and I know some people had 8mp cameras, mines only 5. Thats atleast 6 months there. That isnt really an option.
    I thought it was unlimited if you had a pro account? It isn't?

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dark Moon wrote: »
    Photobucket is a nightmare to have to work with.

It is? I've used Photobucket for years, and I've never had any issue with it. I don't know what the cap is, but if it's unlimited, then I couldn't think of a reason not to use photobucket.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

It is unlimited storage, but 2GB per month upload. It's a sneaky distinction.

So you are basically getting +24GBs per year, if you upload each month's quota.

Lewisham on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

It is unlimited storage, but 2GB per month upload. It's a sneaky distinction.

So you are basically getting +24GBs per year, if you upload each month's quota.
    Sneaky bastards...
    I guess its lucky I am usually too disorganized to upload most of my photos then huh...

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo