As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stories of terrible teachers

• Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    For the first half of a molecular biology class in college, we all had this professor who had never taught before. He was terrible at it. He was nervous, wouldn't respond well to questions, and made his tests RIDICULOUSLY hard. He essentially told us we should be spending several hours a day studying only his coursework.

You might think I'm exaggerating, but to give an example, the AVERAGE score for the first test was 18%. 18% on a midterm...with some of the smartest students in the entire university taking this damn class.

The next midterm was almost as bad. 30% average. And this was AFTER half the class had quit. In fact, at one point after the first test, he went into a tirade telling us we scored low because none of us studied. The class was so offended, almost all of us walked out.

Thank god he only taught the first half of that course, and was soundly booted, after all the complaints were processed. I know people who wrote a page of comments on the professor review.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    junior year a teacher got sent to the ER when a student pegged him in the head with a rock

way I found out was a friend came into lunch and shouted "Dude, I heard Hoff went down like a bitch!"

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I had this one teacher in computer stuff.
    One day he substituted a sick teacher for internal communication or something like that.
    So that was 1 and a half hour I had with him. Guess what he does?
    He talks about his Iphone and how he had to go to china and get a hacked version of it because they don't release it in Finland yet.
    Later, at the end of the session, he started discussing about what new beemers and mercedeseseses he was going to buy.

I did not like him very much. Before that I thougt he was sort of okay.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Our earth science teacher had this thing he did where he would ask you to describe a rock that he held up
    And all of a sudden he just starts screaming at my friend Vince to pay attention, and Vince was one of the best students in the class, so we were already off guard
    Then he just winds up and pegs Vince right in the face with this rock
    Turns out the rock was styrofoam

Me Too! on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i had a teacher who, before the last term had even begun, said that no matter what i did i would still be last at the end of the year
    but this was drama and i took it specifically to get out of doing any work so no biggie
    also she seemed to get pregnant every second year so the year before and the year after we had teachers who gave the subject the lack of interest it deserves so it was actually fun

oh man there was this teacher at my primary school who was also the deputy principal and would fairly regularly gather the whole grade together and scream at all of us
    and then damn i was overseas when this happened but one time she got so angry she burst a blood vessel in her eye in front of everyone
    i was i had been there

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I thought I was doing ok in my genetics lab. I did everything the professor wanted, and I even helped clean everything up after our lab was over.

Then I found out I was getting 0s for my lab participation/cleanliness grade. I asked the professor what I was doing wrong. He told me my lab partner was "the worst student I've ever had" in his 40+ year career. I asked him what I could do about it. He said nothing.

I got a D.

kaleedity on
  • Options
    OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wait so you got a D because your lab partner was a shitty student?

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Worst teacher ever: high school physics teacher. She was crazy. Like jumping on the lab desks and screaming sort of crazy. She was fired about a month into the term for calling us all donkeys, among more interesting things.

Best teacher ever: Intro to Naval Arch professor at college had been teaching the same coursework for, oh 30 years. He would write on the board until it was full, wait for us to stop furiously scribbling and then erase and repeat, with eyes closed for the most part. If you randomly bumped into him, you could ask him some engineering question and he would talk for hours with you. I think I learned more from him than most any of my other professors.

Usagi on
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    oh man

I've had that happen

I had to do 3 video projects by myself (filming, editing, everything) because my partner was lazy

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    kaleedity wrote: »
    I thought I was doing ok in my genetics lab. I did everything the professor wanted, and I even helped clean everything up after our lab was over.

Then I found out I was getting 0s for my lab participation/cleanliness grade. I asked the professor what I was doing wrong. He told me my lab partner was "the worst student I've ever had" in his 40+ year career. I asked him what I could do about it. He said nothing.

I got a D.

the silence after the question was him teling you to get down on yoru knees and start sucking, basically. way to miss the signals.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    My Latin teacher, a man who is about 50 years old, listens to Flogging Molly. That's cool.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    a few years after high school, i ran into my senior year english teacher at a george clinton and p funk concert. it was kinda awesome.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    noluitnoluit Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    PotU wrote: »
    My Latin teacher, a man who is about 50 years old, listens to Flogging Molly. That's cool.

My Latin professor is this charming old Italian lady who speaks with an awesome accent and grades really generously.

On the flip side there's really no incentive to actually learn the material D:

noluit on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    my grade 11 world religion teacher failed me because he didn't like me

he failed me because i was constantly correcting him on things because he was an idiot and didn't know his own course material

so he used a technicality to fail me on the course

because see it used to be in our school system no matter what a kid's grade was the teacher could still fail them if they believed the kid "failed to properly retain the course information" which basically was saying "he didn't actually do the coursework but i can't prove it"

because our schools used to have big problems with people, especially athletes, buying their grades and paying other students to do their work

so they gave the teacher the power to basically recognize "this guy is an idiot and didn't actually do any of the homework or tests himself"

it was a retarded idea and was abused by many teachers

so this guy failed me using that rule. i fought it, and i won, and he passed me.

later that year his wife dumped him for another woman and he had a nervous breakdown

Pony on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    there was this one science teacher who acted like a funny smart stoner guy
    went around looking like jesus with his long beard and all just joking around with students
    and hed do stuff like point out some plant in the bush that might be good to smoke while on camp
    and i heard from a friend that when he was outside the school smoking and they asked for a cigarette, he was all 'no no i cant give you one you shouldnt be smoking its bad', followed up by dropping a cigarette on the ground and pretending to look for it back behind him somewhere

so he was generally a pretty cool guy and one of the most liked teachers in the school
    when i had him one year he would always pick on these 2 students and make jokes at their expense, and sometimes hed get bored and take the whole class out behind the toilets to set off fireworks, despite them being illegal in the state (and possibly the whole country except for canberra)
    i remember some test where he was clearly bored sitting at the front all silent and started throwing paper planes around, and when people started asking questions he wrote up test information on the board, either how to do something or strongly hinting at the answer

then i think in final year or second last year he had a stroke and died
    i think he was about 30
    that sucked

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, I was going to bitch about a teacher or two, but my complaints are nothing compared to this.
    Lol! wrote: »
    Our earth science teacher had this thing he did where he would ask you to describe a rock that he held up
    And all of a sudden he just starts screaming at my friend Vince to pay attention, and Vince was one of the best students in the class, so we were already off guard
    Then he just winds up and pegs Vince right in the face with this rock
    Turns out the rock was styrofoam

My earth science teacher did that too. I imagine the look on your faces made his year. Unfortunately, he became a principal after my year and my brother got a teacher that belongs in this thread. He told the class that the government had a time machine, they watched a lot of Charlton Heston sci-fi movies, and he talked about other conspiracies. I don't remember all the stories, but he was only there a year.

Iloveslimes on
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Guy's an old bastard that doesn't give a shit about teaching. He only cares about his research.

kaleedity on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    When September 11th rolled around, my high school Spanish teacher blamed it on Indians. As in, native Americans. Her reasoning was that they were pissed about white people taking their land.

She was fucking insane.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    my grade 10 religion teacher was so god damn hot

she was just, daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

and she was so happy and engaged and everything was wonderful

then her fiance dumped her and she went through some bad bout of depression and was gone for two weeks and everyone felt so bad for her

meanwhile a lot of stupid dudes thought they could score with her and stuff and basically behaved like teenage jack-asses

in her depression she got really close with the one female student in my class, they hung out and were basically buddies, although at times it seemed like they were more than friends :winky:

it was more likely there was no lesbian shenanigans going on and the girl was just being a real good friend to her teacher who got dumped

but, word went around and everyone thought she was having a lesbian affair with her student and it was a big scandal and in the end the teacher left the school

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    kaleedity wrote: »

Guy's an old bastard that doesn't give a shit about teaching. He only cares about his research.

that fucking sucks man

OmegaTofuNinja on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    When I was applying to colleges there was a counselor at my high school named Brother Joe. I had transferred from public high school the year previous and my grades weren't in great shape (I just plain didn't give a shit about my own well-being for most of those two years). As such I was not looking so hot to some of my colleges. I had a C-something average in total.

I was really upset because I had fucked myself over and Brother Joe was sympathetic. He told me one day that my grades couldn't possibly be that low since I was doing pretty well at the time. I came in the next day and he gave me good news! The grades I thought I had? They were wrong. It must have been a mistake with that crappy old public school's records so he took the liberty of correcting my transcript. I now had a high-B average.

What an awesome dude.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have only had two bad teachers in my entire life.

My first one was an English Comp II professor. He was old and bitter. His favorite hobby was talking about how this was his last semester teaching and that everything about the school was terrible. Sometimes, he'd say something useful, but then go to yell at random people in class for no good reason. He learned no names, and was clearly checked out. He collected papers on floppy discs. Never gave a grade back. Never put in midterm grades.

Every male student failed, and before he could get fired or retire, he died.

The second awful teacher I had was a film teacher. Intro workshop stuff.

He did not teach anything. He didn't know how to use final cut. He couldn't give lighting advice. He couldn't do a goddamn thing useful, and halfway through the class he had hernia surgery, so he showed up hopped up on painkillers for the rest of it.

All he did was show shit he filmed every class.

It was a 3 hour class 2 days a week.

6 hours of him jerking himself off to us a week.

He was swiftly fired.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    my grade 10 math teacher was quite a character

dude was just so fuckin' enthusiastic about math

like in a way that seemed sort of pathetic and insane, like teaching high school math was his entire life

but damn if his enthusiasm didn't rub off on his students

he was a really good teacher even if he seemed sort of batshit crazy

Pony on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

A bad lab partner can fuck your shit up pretty bad but his story does seem a little off still.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That's pretty cool, Tank.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    TheSkyIsBurningTheSkyIsBurning __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    I played FFXI Online throughout high school, slept through most if not all of my classes, showed up maybe 75% of the time I was supposed to, and got a 27 on my ACT and now I'm playing WoW and sleeping through my college classes all day(except finals).

edit: your stories suck

TheSkyIsBurning on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    good for you?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    that's pretty awesome I guess

OmegaTofuNinja on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    when i was in 11th grade, i was going to bars fairly frequently

i looked older than i was, and most bouncers didn't really bother to ID if you didn't look like a pussy 14 year old

so, i used to hit the college bars, and pick up college chicks. they'd assume i was some eager 1st year dude and they'd think i'd be a fun ride, so it was pretty easy.

then the one time, i am in english class and our teacher is sick, so we got a substitute. she's a young thing, kind of plain looking but possibly quite pretty if she wore the right clothes and make-up. but she's in teacher-mode right now so she's probably intentionally plain looking, last thing she needs is some jack-ass teenagers hitting on her.

and i recognize her and i can't tell from where. oh, she's not a real teacher, she's a co-op student from the university. that makes perfect sense, i probably saw her around here somewhere, co-op students are on stuff like hall patrol and such often.

so she's going down the roster, and i'm not really paying much attention, and then she calls my name and i am like "Yo." putting my hand up.

then she looks at me and freezes. she just pales, and then stammers as she reads the next kid's name and tries to pretend nothing's going on. most of the other folk in my class don't notice her reaction.

it was then i remembered

i had fucked this chick two weeks ago, i picked her up in a bar. she had no idea i was a high school student.

hahahahaha

awkward

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    PotU wrote: »

My psych teacher this year was in his late thirties/early forties and listened to Murphys
    He was a pretty cool dude

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Pony wrote: »

i looked older than i was, and most bouncers didn't really bother to ID if you didn't look like a pussy 14 year old

so, i used to hit the college bars, and pick up college chicks. they'd assume i was some eager 1st year dude and they'd think i'd be a fun ride, so it was pretty easy.

then the one time, i am in english class and our teacher is sick, so we got a substitute. she's a young thing, kind of plain looking but possibly quite pretty if she wore the right clothes and make-up. but she's in teacher-mode right now so she's probably intentionally plain looking, last thing she needs is some jack-ass teenagers hitting on her.

and i recognize her and i can't tell from where. oh, she's not a real teacher, she's a co-op student from the university. that makes perfect sense, i probably saw her around here somewhere, co-op students are on stuff like hall patrol and such often.

so she's going down the roster, and i'm not really paying much attention, and then she calls my name and i am like "Yo." putting my hand up.

then she looks at me and freezes. she just pales, and then stammers as she reads the next kid's name and tries to pretend nothing's going on. most of the other folk in my class don't notice her reaction.

it was then i remembered

i had fucked this chick two weeks ago, i picked her up in a bar. she had no idea i was a high school student.

hahahahaha

awkward

And now you are reminiscing about this on an internet forum.

Bravo, sir, Bravo!

TheSkyIsBurning on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My 10th grade Algebra teacher was a pretty cool guy, and he knew my mom and everything which made him like me. He was a fairly enthusiastic teacher, but when class was out and he was talking to me, he'd every so often bring up his affiliation with the Natural Law party and how it was pretty cool.

I basically didn't care and thought he was a little bit odd.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Pony that is the best story
    The best
    I was walking in the mall a few weeks ago, and this gorgeous lady says "Hi Jeff, how's it going"
    I'm all "Oh hey sup" and thinking "who the fuck was that, how does she know me"
    I know I saw her at school, I'm trying to remember what class of mine she was in
    And then it hits me: She wasn't in my class, she taught my class.
    She was my health teacher from sophomore year
    In her late twenties, she easily passed for being 18
    You couldn't hear anything in that class over the sound of the blood rushing to your dick

Me Too! on
  • Options
    SASA Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pony wrote: »

it was then i remembered

hahahahaha

awkward

And now you are reminiscing about this on an internet forum.

Bravo, sir, Bravo!

Quit trolling, dickass.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Worst teacher?

I had a geometry teacher who would walk into the class with a mug of 'coffee,' point at the blackboard (where page numbers were written), then leave the classroom to go sit in the teachers lounge.

She didn't actually teach until after the tests. The tests where everyone in the class failed. Shit, I got all the math right on the first test, but I couldn't remember the names for the theorums used, so I got a 60%.

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Oh, TheSkyIsBurning is one of those new faggots that are showing up because kids are on summer break and they think the way to ingratiate themselves to others is to troll people.

Way to go, you've instantly marked yourself as a fag.

Why can't more of these new people be like Future Man

Pony on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was pretty hot for my first college Japanese teacher. She's probably still the most beautiful woman of asian descent that I've met in person. This affection was shared by many of my classmates and every so often they'd made an offhand comment about her husband or boyfriend(I forget what her status was) and she'd just be all "dame dame," and so we shut up.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm on Summer Break throughout the year though. :/ That description isn't entirely true. I've simply not slept at all and it has obviously made me a jerk, and labeled me as a fag. :S

I will survive, somehow.

TheSkyIsBurning on
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Koshian wrote: »
    yeah, it was kinda unethical

but to be fair, I was pretty close to passing in all those classes

and two of them were art classes where grading was fairly loose

though the last one was an required english class, and the teacher didn't want to "ruin my prospects"

which I directly proceeded to ruin by failing english the next year

whoooops

I love irony.

8-)

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    lostwords wrote: »
    A science teacher of mine from high school was arrested for child porn a few years back. The funny part was, no one suspected him and he was generally well-liked by most people. I mean, he was terrible in hind sight.

haha same here

wasn't Mr. Wiggins was it lol

Xaquin on