As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam On!] Dystopia: Because you wish you were a Console Cowboy

JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
UPDATE! Job is fucking awesome! See below!

Do you like guns? Cyber suits? Futuristic hyper-katana? Then you probably wish you played...

bannerfg9.jpg

What is it?

Dystopia is an awesome, well programed, beautiful Sourcemod. It is set in a Gibson-esque sprawl where mercenary runners take on corporate security in objective based games. There's quite a few maps, an interesting class system, and the game is well maintained and has an active playing community.

Players can be heavy weapons platforms, loaded with big guns and missiles, light troops, hacking computers to help their team, or middle-strength troops, which can do some hacking or heavy weapons, or simply be grunts with rifles.

Hacking? Soliders? This sounds like Shadowrun! I love Shadowrun!

Hold your horses. While it sounds like Shadowrun, I called it "Gibsonesque" because there's no magic, or elves, or any of that stuff. Honestly, it's mostly like playing an episode of Ghost In The Shell. (Note: If you have any of the GiTS soundtracks, listen to them while playing. "Cyber Bird" on OST2 goes really well with the game)

dysundermine0004ff9.jpg

All maps, as far as I know, are objective based. I've not known the game to have deathmatch-only servers, but this is entirely possible. Also, the objectives are usually Unreal-style Assault; defenders must prevent actions from occurring at certain points, and once they do, the action cannot be undone, and the attackers move forward.

Everyone has class systems these days. I'm just gonna go play TF2.

That's fine. I love TF2 too. This has a gritter, different feel, though-- and the lines between the "classes" are a bit blurred.

You start with a choice of the three armor types I stated below, then can pick cyber-augmentations to fit your playstile. This is great, because you can be a medic/decker if you want, or a heavy with several vision modes for spotting cloaked buggers. Light classes can also take thermal or optical camo (but not both). I can't remember all the augs, I'm afraid, but there are some to modify your accuracy, speed, jumping ability, ability to heal self (or others) or detect enemies on radar. Some augs are passive bonuses, others are active and have appropriate cooldowns.

Finally, you can choose a weapon basted on your class. Lights and Mediums get neo-katana for melee, and Heavys get a sweet ass mecha-fist.

Each character has three status bars: health, armor, and energy. Health can be healed via certain augs (or medpacks), armor recharges on it's own, and energy powers your devices and charges when not in use.

Hacking? It's probably boring...

NO! This game does hacking in an amazing way. Classes can choose a cyberdeck as an augmentation, and can jack into cyberspace at certain terminals located throughout the levels. The jacked in player then controls their avatar in cyberspace--a completely different map altogether-- to open doors, hack and control turrets, complete objectives, and spy on their opponents. This is done by defeating firewalls, reaching and slicing into nodes, and rebuilding your own firewalls for protection. The console cowbows, however, require protection from the outside, too. If found, they can be killed quickly and their avatar with them. Also, if your avatar is defeated, you're dumped from the terminal and suffer a short stun (and occasionally health damage, depending on the attack). You can, of course, pull an emergency jack-out to avoid taking these penalties.

Furthermore, there's a full cyberspace combat system, to duel other's avatars to control the objectives.

I promise you, hacking is done right here. The cyberspace maps are gorgeous, and have a great feel to them. There's also a neat feature--players near their decker can watch their activities via the monitor on the terminal they are at.

dysundermine0037acu7zy3.jpg

Cool, where do I sign up?

This is the only issue. We used to have a PA server, and the Goons ran a nice public server, but those days are long gone. I'm not quite sure where to play nowadays. Back when I started, the community was a bit cliquey and not very tolerant of newbies. This may have changed, but I'm unaware.

My primary hope is to collect several people with interest to swamp a lower population server and get a feel for the game together. If any of you have been playing since 1.1, feel free to post servers for us to join you in, and I'll put them here.

Another thing we could do is find and uninhabited server to practice cyber-combat. Cyberspace has no clear gravitational pull and has a very different feel from most maps, so for those interested in hacking, some practice might be good to get up to par. Good hackers are essential to success, so don't ignore them.

The game also has a functional and helpful tutorial you should definitely do before playing online.

A list of players who you can friend and follow into games:
*NOTE*: I included links to the people's Steam pages so you can easily add them if you're having problems with some people. There's a link on each ID page to add to your friends list.

Forum Name

Steam Name
JerikTelorian
[Pa]Jerik
TheSuperWoot
MelancholyMark
cwapfobrains
Infocalypse
Zetx
Zetx
Lord Jezo
Lord Jezo
MiSTieOtaku
MiSTieOtaku
Bill Cosby
Bill Cosby
Snowbeat
Snowbeat
Carcharodontosaurus
Carch
Dyvion
Dyvion
Woggle
Woggle
Mustachio Jones
Mustachio Jones
Carry The Zero
carrythezero
Peewi
Peewi
Job_41:25
Job4125
DarkMayo
darkmayo
Redlance
Redlance
Capuano
Capuano
Spire7
Spire
Firebug
UrbanWanderer

Job is awesome! We now have a server!!

Graciously, Job (who some of you may know from his excellent TF2 Server) has offered to switch his CSS server to a Dystopia for the time being. This is really great for us, so that we don't have to deal with clanner rape all the time.

Server Info:
Penny Arcade - Dystopia ((Donate!))
IP: 208.167.224.75:27015
PASS: wang

Helpful Hints and Tips
Quick and Dirty Cybering (:winky:) Guide for PA Dystopians (Courtesy of Zetx)

Disclaimer: This is from memory. (1. I'm writing from work. / 2. It's been a couple years)

Basics

REMEMBER -- If you have the mediplant in your loadout, you NEED to turn it off while decking. Otherwise, if a hurt teammember comes walking by, you will heal them and lose energy.
LESS ENERGY = LESS TIME

You can turn it off by pressing whatever key (by default, a Function key) it's been assigned to... (Of course there are exceptions, like quick decking jobs or ... whatever, but yeah, it's important)

Movement - Decking is a race against time. For one, your energy begins to drain when you enter cyberspace (CS) and second (usually if you're trying to take an objective), the longer you take in CS, the longer your team must defend you and/or the greater your chancees are of getting killed, wasting more time for your team, blah, blah blah.

A general suggestion is that if you want to deck you should go to an empty server/create your own with your map of choice and have a look around. This way you won't be bumbling about when it's game time.

Okay, on to actual advice. Jumping around generally helps you move faster. I usually just hold the spacebar once I'm in CS and push through to a node. Also, your secondary fire (the projectile) can be used as a "rocket jump" type thing (which I'm no good at) allowing you to get to higher areas and depending on how it's angled, will let you move faster also.

Obstacles - The things you will encounter are...

1. IceWall - an IceWall by itself poses no real harm. If you're in a hurry, use Wedge and slide on by
2. IceMine - Embeded into the IceWall, if you Wedge the Wall, the Mine will come flying for you (or any nearby player? I'm not sure... I've seen Mine's do crazy things...) If it hits you, you'll lose energy. If you use the IceBreaker, you'll take care of the Mine.
3. GreenIce - If you touch it, you'll get EMP'd and kicked out of the system. An IceBreaker should take care of it (IIRC...)

To add a bit to what Zetx stated:
You can Password/Encrypt nodes you are at. Passwording is faster, but easier to crack; and encryption is slower and harder.

Hacking - In v1 they added the hacking "mini-game" where you can press the buttons in order to complete a task faster. Obviously, the disadvantage is that you'll probably be too busy to fend off a surprise attack, so be alert! :P

*Jerik Note: Just to clarify--the minigame only appears with an Enhanced Cyberdeck.
If you note, once the program is running, you have a console at the top with buttons below. The console will print the button you need to press next up there. As Zetx said, the order is the same, so with skill, you can conquer it easily. Success makes it both faster and lower energy cost, but mistakes cost you extra energy.

The program's order never changes, but the locations of the buttons do.

Enemy Deckers - As all deckers have a trail of their team color behind them, which can be seen through most walls, it should be pretty easy to figure out when someone's coming. Your primary attack is a hitscan attack, so just get your reticle over him and click. The secondary is a projectile so it'll take awhile, but does more (energy) damage. Added in v1, the beam attack is a short (mid?) range draining beam ... which drains them.

'Course other options are hiding somewhere while your programs finish running then distracting them before they can put up/down the security and you finish your job (either ambushing them or trying to finish your objective)

Also (thanks cwapfobrains) when someone is cyberfrag'd they leave behind crystal shards which will replenish a decker's energy. When you are cyberfrag'd, you'll be kicked out of CS and the JIP will display the spray of your attacker, disabling the JIP temporarily, not to mention damaging your actual health slightly. You can die from that.

*Jerik Note: Zetx did mention in the thread: If you jack yourself out before you get dumped, you do not leave a crystal.
Zetx wrote:
(Bonus: You can kill someone with legboosters. Stand ontop of them, charge it up, and release! :winky: (I don't think it's insta-kill))

Links:
Dystopia Wiki: Contains everything you want to know about anything. A great resource for reasing about the augmentations, also has information for binding keys to augmentations (For instance: you can bind a key to a Cortex Bomb "Detonate" Command, taking you out without lowering your health)
Newbie Thread On Dystopia Forums: Links to several charts and other important bits of data, especially regarding CPU draw in cyberspace. Very valuable asset.
[url="http://dystopia-league.net/dys_alphabet.pdf]Dystopia Alphabet[/url]: An amusing and helpful guide for newbies with some tips and tricks (a few that may even help some people who have been playing awhile).
Warrior Nation Training Construct: What seems to be a pretty serious training page for Dystopia. Some clanners got together and make a bunch of tutorials, along with a tutorial server, that trains new players in gameplay.

I CAN HAS?

The game's website has links to all hosts for the game. It.s about a 550mb download for the core game, and a required 10mb download for the 1.1 patch.

http://www.dystopia-game.com

SteamID -- JerikTelorian
XBL: LiquidSnake2061
Shade wrote: »
Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
JerikTelorian on

• Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I played a bit of this when it first came out, however I never tried playing on the PA server and all my friends IRL gave up on the game. Since I couldn't find any servers that weren't filled with idiots I eventually just gave up as well. After playing TF2 with you guys I now realize I should have just gone to the PA servers in the first place.

Would definitely be interested in playing if enough people are interested. My steam name is the TF2 one in my sig.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    wabbitehwabbiteh Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I am interested in this, and shall obtain the game forthwith.

wabbiteh on
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    All I can remember doing in this game was playing as the light class and waiting at doors for heavies to walk by, then attempting to kill them with the sword (I think it was a sword, whatever the melee weapon was).

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This game has changed quite a bit since it was first released...new weapons, abilities, maps, effects, balancing issues, etc. I haven't played in months though, I'm excited again!

Agentflit on
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    hey, so, are there any games I need before I download this?

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I played this game someime last year and I rather liked it. Is there a place where I can see what has been changed in the meantime?

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

It's a Half-Life 2 mod, so you'll need HL2.

Peewi on
  • Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Peewi wrote: »

Actually any of these games will do.

Agentflit on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh man, i remember playing this obsessively when it was brand new, and only had one map. Its a great mod, but a pain in the ass to teach friends how to play.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have this installed just in case new servers come up, the playerbase is not that big :(

Impersonator on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I wrote a bunch of fiction for this for the Dysinformation wiki. Naturally my signature is ridiculously intricate descriptions of how you'd use nanotech to accomplish things.

Sadly the local servers for me have kind of disappeared.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like everything about this game except for how much fun it is. I never found it fun. The hacking I enjoyed but that was it. I guess it's changed some since a while ago so maybe I'll try it out.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I used to play Dystopia quite a bit. I started when the mod first came out and it only had one map, and I eventually drifted away. When I came back there was some more stuff, like extra maps, but it didn't hold my attention for as long as I would have liked, though that isn't because of the quality of the game. Dystopia is an awesome mod. My only problem were the people that I had to play with. However, if we can get some sort of PA server up for it, that would awesome.

MiSTieOtaku on
  • Options
    cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i love this mod, but i'll agree when people say the community is not great. The problem is the game itself is not noob friendly, at it is really frustrating when you are trying to take an objective but half your team doesn't know what to do. Or if a new player is decking, which is completely disorienting and confusing as hell until you've played the map several times. They did at a tutorial with the 1.0 update, which is cool (and makes you think how cool a single player/ co-op game in the universe would be), but not very in depth. What the game really needs is like a couple minute long intro video to every map telling what each objective and button does in the map.

I'll definitely play if we get people, i used to mostly play on a server run by the Wnx clan i think, although i have no idea if it is still around. Steam id is Infocalypse, feel free to add me

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I used to play... (phist-ball or whatever is probably the most "deathmatch" like, though it still has a goal...)

I stopped a couple months after v1 came out. Some of the original dev team (at least Fuzzy and Teddy, IIRC) have left to do other things after v1, too...

Right, if you guys want to get together for a game night, I'm in.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Agentflit wrote: »

[strike]Also I think you need the Source SDK to play. The FAQ on their page should clear it up.[/strike]

EDIT:Guess you just need the core stuff.

I added people to the list above, maybe we can get a game on tonight?

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Agentflit wrote: »

[strike]Also I think you need the Source SDK to play. The FAQ on their page should clear it up.[/strike]

EDIT:Guess you just need the core stuff.

I added people to the list above, maybe we can get a game on tonight?

Funny that... I'd have to get on later, probably 8-9ish central. If someone would add me to Steam or perhaps create a group, it would be an easy way of tracking the rest of the dystopian-inclined PAers ;p (I'd do it, but I'm at work :()

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Done and done.

SuperWoot, I couldn't add you as a friend. It says it couldn't find you. Feel free to add me.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian

• Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I would just like to say Dystopia is cool and you are cool if you play it.

I sometimes play this if i ever get a hankering for a good shadowrun game. I don't recall my steamname 100% but I'm pretty sure it's Hibiki

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    We should all play vaccine. Such good memories. <3

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Someone should make a Steam group, so that we can easily see if anyone else is playing.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Demitri OmniDemitri Omni Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I probably would have enjoyed Dystopia more had it NOt been for hacking. The cyberspace areas are pretty, but the whole concept was executed poorly overall in my opinion.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I'd join in :)

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I probably would have enjoyed Dystopia more had it NOt been for hacking. The cyberspace areas are pretty, but the whole concept was executed poorly overall in my opinion.

You don't have to hack :P

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Done and done.

SuperWoot, I couldn't add you as a friend. It says it couldn't find you. Feel free to add me.

Hmm, couldn't find you as a friend with the PA tag, but was able to find jerikt. I assume that is you.

edit: Guess we played some TF2 yesterday since I found you as [PA]Jerik in the recent players played with, and added that.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I so wanted to try this. I Will. I SHALL.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Demitri OmniDemitri Omni Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zetx wrote: »

And that's why I played for the few months I did.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Uh so at one point I had three versions of your steam account invited as a friend Jerik, and after i deleted one it deleted them all and now it won't let me add you again as it says you're ignoring me.

If you can't find me using the add friend thing you should be able to find me in your own players recently played with thing.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man I hit rank 33 at some point last year on this game, then TF2 came out.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Man I hit rank 33 at some point last year on this game, then TF2 came out.

Hahah, I don't think I was ranked very well because I threw myself (as a Light) against the other team trying to get to JIPs and do objectives...

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Someone should make a Steam group, so that we can easily see if anyone else is playing.

I made a group, and people are being invited to it. Everyone in it has the ability to invite.

Just for reference, the group is [PA]Dystopians.
    Zetx wrote: »

Yeah, in fact teams usually only have 2-3 hackers. The other 10 players are all combat teams.

EDIT: Jake and Zetx, you've been friended and group'd. Mark is also in.
    EDITEDIT: Also you, Viscount

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian

• Options
    MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm getting Dystopia right now, so it'd be pretty cool to join you guys if you're playing. My steam ID name is MiSTieOtaku.

MiSTieOtaku on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My Steam name is "Lord Jezo"

I'd like an invite to the group here.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/lordjezo

I am downloading it now.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    Bill CosbyBill Cosby Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    YES!!! I started playing this when it was first released as a beta, and I even donated a little money to the devs. I think this is by far 1 of the most polished mods for hl2. Only problem now is there is hardly anyone playing it.

Woops my steamid is beatthymeat my bad.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/beatthymeat

Bill Cosby on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Bill Cosby wrote: »
    YES!!! I started playing this when it was first released as a beta, and I even donated a little money to the devs. I think this is by far 1 of the most polished mods for hl2. Only problem now is there is hardly anyone playing it.

Steam name: Bill Cosby

[strike]I added you and got another name- [sm!leY']. Is this correct? If not, link your SteamID page.[/strike]

Awesome! Added and invited.

Could I trouble one of you chaps to invite me to the Penn Arcade Steam Group, while you're on?

And I suppose it's time we found a server...

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian

• Options
    cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/infocalypse

please add me to the new Dystopians group

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/infocalypse

please add me to the new Dystopians group

Done and done.

I'm going server hunting, see if I can find a nice place for us.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian

• Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I installed it but it's not showing up on my Steam games list...

Oh there it is, I had to restart Steam

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Have you restarted Steam?

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So, there's currently like 30 players on this game overall, which leaves a lot of open servers. I figured we can pick one up and mess around on it, then maybe bounce to one of the populated ones. This cool?

|NK| NeoKobe 66 Tic
    69.90.34.213:27015

Empty, twelve slots. Come join!

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian