As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Neo-Geo VC - Which Game To Hold Out For?

h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
I'm really looking for some help on which Neo Geo games to get when it comes to Virtual Console on the Wii. There are so many original titles and sequels such as Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury, The King of Fighter's, The King of Monster's, Samurai Showdown, and World Hero's. It's tuff to determine which will be best. Or is as difficult to choose one over the other just like the Metal Slug series?

Suggestions will be helpful.

Coolest Guy I Know
h8b1llg8ts.gif
sig.gif
MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
h8b1llg8ts on

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    King of the Monsters gets old, fast. I was playing it on gametap the other night and the nostalgia value runs thin after twenty minutes. Not a good purchase.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Last Blade 2.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sheep wrote: »
    Last Blade 2.

good one

also: garou mark of the wolves, windjammers, last resort, blazing star, pulstar, strikers 1945 plus, baseball stars, captain tomady, magical drop 3, money idol exchanger, twinkle star sprites, viewpoint, waku waku 7

the odds of some of those coming to VC are slim to none but hey. i havent played KOF deeply enough to offer an opinion on which years are the ones to get.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wind Jammers and Samurai Shodown (2 specifically but they were all good) were definitely my favourite neo geo games.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    mystic_knightmystic_knight Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Skip any and all of AoF.

KoF 98 and up are worth waiting for.

Samurai Shodown is awesome from the beginning, but go ahead and wait until 2.

Don't worry about Fatal Fury until Special.

Also Garou and Last Blade 2.

mystic_knight on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Last Blade 1 was better than 2 in some respects.

regardless, neither has been VC'd yet.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    king of the monsters 2 is much more fun.

Super sidekicks 3 or ultimate 11 are fun soccer (football) games.

Magical Drop great puzzle game.

Blazing Star and pulsar are excellent shooters.

Edit* should wait for these to come, and since 2 at least are on the SNK collection its very likely .

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Garou and any of the later KoF are insta-buys.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm hoping that Samurai Shodown 2 comes out. I bought the first one as a warm up but when/if #2 hits, I'll be glued to my TV for hours on end.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The released/upcoming collections are much better deals than the VC games. You'll have to wait a bit, but the Samurai Shodown and KoF Orochi collections should be pretty great. Also, there's the arcade classics collection that has a bunch of different games.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I want to see 2020 super baseball come out since every year it creeps closer and closer to 2020, the more hilarious it becomes.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    The released/upcoming collections are much better deals than the VC games. You'll have to wait a bit, but the Samurai Shodown and KoF Orochi collections should be pretty great. Also, there's the arcade classics collection that has a bunch of different games.

Thanx, but I was looking for a more kid friendly Wii experiance for my daughter.

So thus far:

Art of Fighter : ? (maybe avoid)
    Fatal Fury: FF Special
    King of Fighters: KofF 98 on up
    King of Monsters: KofM 2
    Samurai Showdown: SS2
    The Last Blade: LB2
    World of Heroes: ?

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Magical Drop 3. I lost so many hours to this bastard, and I'm not mad about it.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Gyral wrote: »
    I'm hoping that Samurai Shodown 2 comes out. I bought the first one as a warm up but when/if #2 hits, I'll be glued to my TV for hours on end.

I always prefered 4 (or 5 Special) but 2 was good and will almost certainly come out sooner.

edit: the Samurai Shodown games are not particularly kid-friendly, unless Nintendo forces SNK to release only the shitty censored versions.

edit 2: and I consider King of Fighters 2002 to be better than 98, but that could easily erupt into a flamewar.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Last Blade 2 and Garou are the two magical SNK fighting games. Magical.

Twinkle Star Sprites and the Magical Drop games are much beloved.

slash000 on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »

Thanx, but I was looking for a more kid friendly Wii experiance for my daughter.

So thus far:

Huh? The collections are coming out for Wii. And technically, none of those games are kid friendly, save maybe World Heroes or King of the Monsters.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

Last Blade 1 had better character balance and personally I thought the moves flowed better, too.

but Last Blade 2 had the best music and art of anything on the system, easily.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You only mention fighting games, but you might want to look into Blue's Journey or Top Hunter. I've only seen video of them though so I can't vouch for quality, but they look good and are out now.

I don't think it's a good idea to hold out for games on the virtual console though. It's a recipe for disappointment.

Saddler on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

Listen to this man, he's the fucking man.

Too bad I own every good NeoGeo game in some form or another. And yes my Dreamcast IS still hooked up.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Magical drop is such an awesome 2 player game. Puzzle bobble is another good one. Lets see uh... Blazing star is also a great shmup as well as last resort. Viewpoint is an uncommon but unique shmup too.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    mystic_knightmystic_knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

I always prefered 4 (or 5 Special) but 2 was good and will almost certainly come out sooner.

edit: the Samurai Shodown games are not particularly kid-friendly, unless Nintendo forces SNK to release only the shitty censored versions.

edit 2: and I consider King of Fighters 2002 to be better than 98, but that could easily erupt into a flamewar.

I've always been of the opinion that every KoF from '98 and up should be experienced. I personally play 11 the most.

mystic_knight on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »

So thus far:

Huh? The collections are coming out for Wii. And technically, none of those games are kid friendly, save maybe World Heroes or King of the Monsters.

By Kid Friendly, I mean that I don't have to pull out the Neo Geo out or any other system and hook it up for her to play. Just start the Wii and off she goes to Gaming Heaven.

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif

• Options
    edited July 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

I've always been of the opinion that every KoF from '98 and up should be experienced. I personally play 11 the most.

Kof XI was Atomiswave; we won't see it on the VC.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    vherubvherub Registered User new member
    edited July 2008
    vherub on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Once Windjammers gets released, jump on it violently. So much awesome, especially in multi.

Aoi on