As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Blue Dragon? And other 360 suggestions, I suppose.

ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
blue-dragon-original-soundtrack-20070831105740128.jpg

Why yes, that Blue Dragon.
So, fairly recently, I had my entire collection of Xbox 360 games pilfered, taken from my bag as if they were delicious little cookies snatched from a jar by a tubby child. Those games included Dead Rising, Dead or Alive 4, Gears of War, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Oblivion, and the collector's edition of Bioshock. Bummer.

(Though perhaps it serves me right for trusting airport security with my checked luggage; I can only assume they saw the CD wallet filled with video games and my wireless controller as some sort of secret terrorist machination that they simply had to quarantine)

Anyway, in an effort to reconstruct my collection, I've since picked up Guitar Hero II, GTA4, Halo 3, Mass Effect, and Assassin's Creed. Now that I have a job that actually pays something, I'm trying to buy some games that are supposedly bitchin'. I've recently discovered that Blue Dragon can be had for a decent price, and am wondering what you guys think about it. I'm kind of fickle when it comes to my JRPGs; I love the shit out of the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest series, really enjoy Shin Megami Tensei and so forth, but I have a bit of trouble stomaching cheesier fare like the 'Tales of' line. Based on reviews, Blue Dragon seems like it might be the sort of thing I'm looking for now, though - which is to say, something I can play through over the summer that doesn't have a particularly involving story (having just come out of Mass Effect, GTA4, and Assassin's Creed, I'm kind of in the mood for something... fluffier), but does have fun, rewarding gameplay and at least somewhat deep customization. Does that all sound like what Blue Dragon might feature? Some of the story cutscenes I've seen make me a bit wary, but I'm sure with the Japanese voices on I'll at least be able to stomach it. (Will I? D:). I don't mind somewhat old-fashioned, repetitive gameplay, so long as I feel like the battles are worth fighting and they move along briskly enough. (Truth?)

TL;DR - Tell me what you think of Blue Dragon!

And also, since I am in the market for other 360 games, throw out some suggestions if you've got them. I'm open to pretty much anything!

Thanks.

pygsig.png
Zeromus on

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Blue Dragon = excellent gameplay, cliche story. It's basically a 360 version of Dragon Quest with an expanded FF5 job system. Excellent music and visuals as well; well worth the $30 and less price tag that it goes for these days.

RainbowDespair on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Blue Dragon remains at the top of my list of 360 RPGs. I know that's not much, but it's in my top 20 of my "most fun" rpgs of all time.

I'd say go for it. I really enjoyed the combat, and the world map. The music was fantastic. Cue someone bringing up the Boss Battle music, because it's that awesome.

urahonky on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Airport security guys stole your games? Guess I'm never bringing any valuables with me to the airport.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited June 2008
    If I do bring it, it's coming on the plane through carry-on.

urahonky on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Blue Dragon was godawful. Archaic Dragon Quest-style gameplay (though I guess it's fine if you like that, some of us expect more since the 1980's) and a cliche, terrible story with the worst voice actors you've ever heard in your life.

Avoid at all costs. There still isn't a good JRPG on 360, surprisingly. I'd just focus on the copy of ME you already have.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited June 2008
    The only annoying voice in the game was MaruMaru, but I heard the Japanese voices are better overall... And it seems like that's what he's going to be playing it with.

urahonky on
    edited June 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    The only annoying voice in the game was MaruMaru, but I heard the Japanese voices are better overall... And it seems like that's what he's going to be playing it with.

Ah, I haven't heard the Japanese voices. Mainly because I don't speak Japanese.

But all the English voices were awful.

UnbreakableVow on
  • JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Blue Dragon is pretty cool as long as you dont go into it expecting anything more than an old school rpg with a throwaway story.

Another RPG for 360 you might want to check out is Lost Odyssey.

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I only played Blue Dragon for about an hour and a half, and after even that brief period of time the characters got on my nerves----and I knew that whatever mascot character they were going to add was likely to be worse.

Combat is okay though, if a bit archaic in design.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Blue Dragon = excellent gameplay, cliche story. It's basically a 360 version of Dragon Quest with an expanded FF5 job system. Excellent music and visuals as well; well worth the $30 and less price tag that it goes for these days.

Dragon Quest and FF5 job system? That sounds like a recipe for success to me. :D
    Dashui wrote: »
    Airport security guys stole your games? Guess I'm never bringing any valuables with me to the airport.

They sure did. Could never get the airport or airline to take responsibility, either. I also recently packed a bunch of comic books in my suitcase (coming home from college) and upon retrieving it from baggage claim, found that the compartment they were in had been busted open (the zipper was completely gone and the thing was hanging open) and that they were all completely drenched with water and thus wrecked (it had been raining, I suppose). Awesome. But I digress!

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »

Dragon Quest and FF5 job system? That sounds like a recipe for success to me. :D

That is it in a nutshell. It also has some of the best enviromental art I have seen to date. Well worth the purchase.

corin7 on
  • BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I found Blue Dragon to be better than the Tales series, and Lost Odyssey passed the second disc, but it still wasn't worth playing.

It's real cheap, though, so it might be worth picking up if you just want to try it. There are some really cool things about it, but overall I wasn't feeling it.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My sister played through Blue Dragon while staying at my place for a while and what I saw of the game looked fun, but the story and the characters were so annoying that I don't know that I would personally want to play through it myself. Also, I did see BD for like $10 at Toys R us the other day, so if you're looking for it cheap, you can always check there.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Does the US version have an option for Japanese voices and English subtitles, like Eternal Sonata? I've been hankering for a summer-long RPG lately, and this would hit the spot if not for the annoying voices.

grrarg on
    edited June 2008
    Is it possible to skip cutscenes in Blue Dragon? If the story is as rancid as it's supposed to be, I could see myself taking advantage of that...

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I believe that the US version does have the option for Japanese voice acting and the ability to skip cutscenes.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Personally, I didn't like Blue Dragon very much, despite being a fan of games like DQ8. I found the story and characters completely uninteresting. The gameplay itself was fine, but the OCD part of me won't let me skip cut-scenes and thus I just grew tired of the game.

Lost Odyssey though ... mmmMmmm. One of the best JRPGs to come in a long time. Much better than FFXII, IMHO (again, I didn't like that game's story/characters either, notice a trend?). Yeah, it's pretty derivative in a lot of ways, and if you're not a fan of old-school JRPGs, you probably won't like it either ... but those of us that do, it's all goodness.

There's also Eternal Sonata that was supposed to be decent. Not amazing but not horrible either. I haven't gotten around to trying that yet. And finally, there was the first JRPG for the 360, Enchanted Arms. Despite what many people think, I thought it was "alright". It was okay for its time, there's definitely better JRPGs out there now, but perhaps worth a rental/GameFly if you still need more JRPG goodness.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is it possible to skip cutscenes in Blue Dragon? If the story is as rancid as it's supposed to be, I could see myself taking advantage of that...
    The story is not rancid. The story is cliche, but people really need to understand that CLICHE =/= BAD

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I remember the cutscenes all being skippable.

RainbowDespair on
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Blackjack wrote: »
    The story is not rancid. The story is cliche, but people really need to understand that CLICHE =/= BAD

It also gets a lot better as the game goes on. The overall arc of the story doesn't even really kick in until you get into the second disk.

Lost Odyssey is one of my favorite JRPGs in ages, but I can definitely see why the dreams would be a bit much for a lot of people. I anticipated them hungrily, personally, but the game is definitely not for everyone.

Aoi on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've only played Lost Odyssey out of the 360 RPGs so far, and that's a damn fine game, so I recommend that. As for Blue Dragon, I haven't quite gotten around to playing it yet, from what I hear and what has been said, it's basically a clone of DQ games with a cliche story. It's probably worth a buy at $25.

Schide on
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Blue Dragon is an okay game. Definitely play it with the (free) downloadable Hard mode, as the normal difficulty setting is hilariously easy. I got around 8-9 hours in, quit playing to play something else, and never went back. Lost Odyssey, on the other hand, was an excellent game that I couldn't stop playing. I definitely recommend it if you're into Final Fantasy-ish gameplay and story.

I'd also like to mention Enchanted Arms. It has a surprisingly fun combat system, and an often hilarious story. Just make sure to not take it seriously, and you'll have a blast. Makoto is also the most heavily stereotyped character in gaming history. It's both funny and cringe-worthy.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
    edited June 2008
    On looking back, I enjoyed Blue Dragon more than Lost Odyssey, but they're both good games. And definitely download the free difficulty patch for Blue Dragon and play it on Hard mode: the default difficulty is ridiculously easy, but hard mode actually puts up a decent challenge at times.

RainbowDespair on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I actually enjoyed what I played of Eternal Sonata---the characters were okay, the battle system was fun and the story seemed somewhat interesting. I enjoyed it, but played about 5 hours and never picked it back up.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What about Project Sylpheed???

For those Non-RPG fan's but looking for a good Space Game with elements of RPG. Like Oblivion.

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    And also, since I am in the market for other 360 games, throw out some suggestions if you've got them. I'm open to pretty much anything!

I can make generalized recommendations for the 360. I keep a running text for various console recommendations, here's what I have for the 360:

Grand Theft Auto IV
    - the story of Niko Belic, arriving at Liberty City to pursue the American Dream, only to face a harsh reality. Beautiful, wide open, and extremely detailed, living city on a scale never conceived of in gaming before, combined with fun and satisfying combat, fast paced vehicle driving mechanics, sandbox gameplay, tons to see and do, online multiplayer, and optional DLC to top if off.

BioShock
    - The first-person shooter's great looking, has an engrossing storyline, a perfect balance of action and exploration and a totally customizable combat system that can be described as nothing less than video game rapture.

Call of Duty 4 - One of the best military shooters to date, with enough realism to make you feel like you're right on the battlefield. The visuals look amazingly life-like, unmatched by most other Xbox 360 efforts. The gameplay feels familiar, and at the same time refreshing and exciting. It delivers a powerful single-player experience and an almost impossibly tense, utterly addictive online component and when the two are brought together.

Orange Box
    - a triple pack of 3 of Valve's best games; including the innovative Portal, wherein you control a portal transportation technology to solve puzzles; Half Life 2 and expansions, one of the best action and story-driven FPS games ever; and Team Fortress 2, the newest iteration of the classic multiplayer team-based FPS game

Gears of War
    - a unique third person shooter for the 360; Combining the excellent gameplay with superb level designs, non-linear battles that allow you to use any weapon or cover at your disposal to eliminate threats, as well as completely unique storyline elements is what really makes Gears' solo mode shine brighter than any of the grim graphics in the game.

Mass Effect
    - A huge, open-ended Western RPG, arguably the best in the genre. The production values are incredible, with breathtaking worlds to explore, a huge cast of memorable characters and hours of missions and side quests to delve into. When it's all over, you'll go through it again and find something exciting and new. Mass Effect sets a new standard for sci-fi gaming.

Ninja Gaiden 2
    - Sequel to one of the greatest pure action games from the original Xbox, NGII takes everything you loved about challenging yet rewarding and deep combat and improves it in nearly every way. While not quite as punishing as the first, the game is still quite challenging, rewarding, and is more of the same quality Ninja Gaiden action you'd want.

Halo 3 -
    The best game yet in the Halo series. Better than either of its predecessors. The single player is bigger and brawnier than before. The multiplayer, which already shadowed the competition, has improved to great new heights. The new features - Forge, Saved Films, Coop - are frighteningly addictive. Tons of features, a great single player experience with a satisfying conclusion, and robust and varied multiplayer that works incredibly well.

Oblivion
    - The painstaking attention to detail, outstanding worldcrafting, and inspired AI make it a huge improvement over previous first person western RPGs. Incredibly open ended, huge RPG world to explore, incredibly detailed and deep roleplaying mechanics. Another excellent western RPG.

Rock Band
    - Harmonix has outdone itself with one of the most ambitious yet finely created music game experiences ever. Rock Band lets you comprise your own virtual band, complete with Lead Guitar, Bass, drums, and vocals; wherein you can finely tune your characters appearances and "personality" on stage, then take the band on a robust World Tour mode or play online. The gameplay is excellent in every regard, and is the peak of the music game multiplayer genre. Add to that regularly updated online DLC and you have a music/party game winner.

Guitar Hero 2, 3 -
    The two latest iterations of the famous Guitar Hero franchise. Guitar Hero 2 is the finest of the series, while Guitar Hero 3 expands the gameplay options and online community options as well as adding variuos multiplayer features.

Civilization Revolution
    - Civilization Revolution is how all console strategy titles should be. Fun, easy to pick up with a good degree of difficulty. A fantastic, frantic combination of pretty much all the highlights of previous Civilization titles rolled into one single package. Best pure strategy title to appear on consoles to date, arguably.

Forza Motorsport 2
    - With dozens and dozens of hours of single player on top of an online mode that should provide for hundreds of hours of pure enjoyment, the game is an absolute steal. It has more of what made the first one great, and lots of new features that set it apart from the rest of the games in this genre. With its deep customization and hearty online component, this is the best racing sim on the 360.

Project Gotham Racing 3 & 4
    - two brilliant, vast, and detailed arcadey racing games on the 360, these games are 360 racing classics. Gorgeous and immersive with plenty of online options to keep the replay value high. , Project Gotham Racing 3 strikes an excellent balance between arcade and sim gameplay without alienating fans of either, and everyone will find something to love here.

Call of Duty 2
    - Call of Duty 2 lets players experience four individual soldier stories as they overcome insurmountable odds in multiple campaigns.It’s by far the best of its kind, and the variable but fair enemy AI keeps the game fresh, especially on higher difficulties. Possibly the best WWII FPS made yet, by one of the best military FPS developers around, Infinity ward. Impressive presentation of World War 2 with fantastic battles and gameplay.

Rainbow Six Vegas, Vegas 2
    - Las Vegas Strip, flashy hotels, high-rolling casinos and world-famous celebrities, becomes the setting for a terrorist threat of global proportions. The cover mechanics, the lethal firearms, the satisfaction of working with a smart team, plus classic single player maps and some returning classics make multiplayer golden. Truly awesome multiplayer online gameplay, and games that may set a benchmark for the tactical genre.

Burnout Revenge
    - one of the best "arcadey" racing games on the 360, this game is fast, crazy, gorgeous, and with the new modes for online play, a ton of time can be eaten up online and offline as well. Best refinement in the line of Burnout games to date.

Burnout Paradise
    - this game takes the Burnout arcade racing formula and presents it in a new, open-world "Paradise" city. The game revamps the stock formula in major ways without losing most of the high-speed racing flavor that you hope to see from something with Burnout in the title.Instead of a series of self-contained challenges, Paradise offers up an open world where players are free to explore their inner vehicular homocidal maniac to their hearts' content.

Grid - Grid is all about the fun and excitement of the race. A fantastic game that bridges the gap of arcade and sim styles of the racing genre. graphics, a great damage-model and the fantastic driving experience that will satisfy fans of simulation as well as arcade racers should definitely convince any car freak!

Virtua Fighter 5
    - the latest edition of the revered, highly technical 3D fighting game series. If you love fighting games and want to play a fighter that continually unveils new wrinkles day in and day out and rewards dedication like no other, this is the game to get. Great balance and more depth than the majority of other fighting games out there. This game rewards your skill and play with its incredible depth and intracacy; and can be taken online to test y our skills against other.

skate
    - SKATE delivers the feel of skating through innovative controls, authentic cameras and a fully reactive skateboarding city. SKATE's unique control scheme captures the true feel of skating versus the typical button mashing gameplay of past skating games. Featuring physics-driven animations, gamers will have a unique gaming experience every time they pick up the controller since no two tricks will ever be the same.

Dead Rising
    - Follow the story of Frank, a photojournalist, only to find himself amidst a zombie infestation and trapped in a local shopping mall to fight off the hordes of undead in any manner he can. The spaced out save points create a wonderfully rare sense of dread. You'll want to stock up on inventory and weapons before attempting a particularly difficult passage. And you're not always secure whether you're going to make it. This is where Dead Rising's sandbox zombie killing comes into its own.

Viva Pinata -
    Viva Pinata is a customizable, social and spontaneous game that invites players of all ages and skills to explore an immersive world where they are challenged to create and maintain a living garden ecosystem that grows in real time. Beginning with a few basic tools, players build and take control of their environment to attract and host more than 60 species of wild pinata, utilizing hundreds of customizable elements to create their very own distinctively unique thriving paradise. Viva Pinata gameplay continues to evolve with new content available via the Xbox Live service and the ability to play, trade and interact with more than 2 million gamers via the online service.

Devil May Cry 4
    - In Devil May Cry 4, players control the formidable Nero who comes to grips with his newly found power as his beliefs and allegiance are tested. Continuing the legacy of fast paced action synonymous with the series, Devil May Cry 4 pushes the envelope of excellence even further with the inclusion of a new combat system that incorporates Nero's "Devil Bringer". This new feature has players delivering overwhelming damage to enemies with non-stop combos, while gaining new power for Nero's right arm.

Ace combat 6
    - Online for the first time, via Xbox Live, players can experience Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation on a massive worldwide scale as it features an in-depth multi-player online experience that includes a variety of action-packed online modes. Players fight alongside fighter planes, gun ships, attack helicopters, tanks, naval fleets, heavy bombers, and electronic warfare vessels in the ultimate Ace Combat showdown. The Dynamic Operation System provides for massive battles unfolding on a "living battlefield," as up to six independent land, sea or air conflicts can break out at any time at multiple locations as allies and enemies clash in real-time. The most solid, robust, and realistic Ace Combat game yet. Even if you're not into playing online, Fires of Liberation offers a hearty helping of intense, varied combat that will keep you coming back long after you've completed your first campaign.

Blue Drago
    n - Blue Dragon is an epic role-playing game that centers on a young boy named Shu and several of his friends. These unlikely heroes possess the power to control phantom shadows that mirror the actions of their masters, giving Shu and his comrades miraculous strength and magical powers.Shu and his friends must use the shadows as weapons and wield their skills to save their world from impending doom. This is a game that JRPG fans have been waiting for; If you love the Final Fantasy brand, but don’t own a Playstation system then this one is for you.

Lost Odyssey
    - Lost Odyssey is the story of Kaim, an immortal character who has lived more than 1,000 years. He doesn't remember his past, and he doesn't know where his future lies.If you’re a fan of traditional role-playing games, or love games with an endearing story then you will likely fall in love with the dynamic intimacy Lost Odyssey provides. Great traditional JRPG experience.

Ghost Recon Adv. Warfighter (series)
    - In 2013, the U.S. Army will implement the Integrated Warfighter System (IWS), evolving what we know as the modern soldier. IWS combines advanced weapon systems, satellite communication devices and enhanced survivability into one fully integrated combat system. An achievement in tactical first person shooters. Ubisoft did a great job balancing the intense action on the screen with the high tech gadgetry needed to make it through in one piece.

Battlefield: Bad Company
    - Good single and solid multiplayer experience. Features destructible environments that actually play a role in gameplay.; mowing down trees with a turret, creating your own side entrance to a heavily fortified base, or ripping open a building to get at the enemies inside are all endlessly fun. Multiplayer kicks things back up, however, by incorporating all of the great destruction and vehicle elements into satisfying attack and defend battles over gold crates scattered throughout the eight huge maps. The five character classes all offer unique weapon combos, and the constantly shifting battlefield dynamics offer plenty of incentive to regularly change your kits.

Also good games but maybe not "must have":

Assassin's Creed
    - The first game in the Assassin's Creed franchise is set in 1191 AD, when the Third Crusade was tearing the Holy Land apart. Shrouded in secrecy and feared for their ruthlessness, the Assassins intend to stop the hostilities by suppressing both sides of the conflict. As Altair, you travel the large cities of old using advanced platforming gameplay mechanics to run, jump, and climb on almost anything to get to your destination. A fun game with decent platforming/action elements and a deep and interesting story. Great production values.

Dead or Alive 4
    - the latest and greatest of Team Ninja's casual fighting game series, this game takes the series' graphics and simple yet rewarding gameplay to new heights, especially when played online in a pretty unique and innovative "arcade like" online mode.

Crackdown - A very good "GTA-like" game; Enforce justice by any means necessary in a crime-ridden urban center built to encourage the exploration of the full width, depth, and height of the city. Great action and unique and deep character and gameplay mechanics, this is a great yet fairly unique game that works in a GTA-like manner yet manages to provide a gameplay variety of its own.

Condemned Criminal Origins, and Bloodshot
    - Condemned: Criminal Origins allows players to experience a heightened level of psychological tension as they use their instincts, forensic tools, and melee combat to hunt serial killers and bring them to justice. It's a unique and fun first person take on the survival horror/mystery genre.

Rockstar Table Tennis
    - A fantastic work of easy to learn, difficult to master gameplay. Table Tennis is a seemingly simple concept, and yet is expansive in the level of depth and strategy when playing the game; whether against other players/friends together, or against people online. Fantastic graphics, excellent physics, and addicting deep gameplay.

Bully SE
    - The Xbox 360 version retain the wit and deep gameplay of the previously released PS2 title "Bully" and boasts additional new content and improved graphics. If you're a fan of witty and humourous writing and excellent open-ended/sandbox gameplay, this is another great option from Rockstar, the makers of Grand Theft Auto.

Good XBLA games:

Penny Arcade Advenures - An entertaining, comical and sometimes downright ridiculous RPG adventure featuring our beloved Gabe & Tycho that will keep you entertained for many hours. One of the most substantial Xbox Live titles to date. For fans of Penny Arcade, purchasing this game will be a no brainer.

Ikaruga
    - one of the finest Shootem'ups in the genre, this game is tense and difficult yet fair and rewarding, and makes great use of a black/white polarity gameplay mechanic for both strategy and gaining higher scores.

Castlevania SOTN
    - the classic 2D Castlevania game, this game combines elements of RPGs and classic Castlevania with the explorative, item-collection gameplay of Super Metroid.

Rez HD
    - Set in a cyberworld, the legendary fast-paced action-shooter Rez HD, created by Tetsuya Mizuguchi, provides the ultimate audiovisual experience as the player targets the enemies and hacks the system while creating their own beats. Rez opens your senses ... let's go to synaesthesia was the watchword when Rez released in 2001 to become a fan favorite. The dynamic, total integration of visual presentation, sound and player input provides the ultimate audiovisual experience.

Puzzle Quest
    - combining the addicting puzzle game qualities of Bejeweled with bits of RPG and strategy, this is a surprisingly unique and addicting XBLA title whose gameplay and replay value just last forever.

Geometry Wars Retro Evolved
    - The classic top down, twin-stick shooter, this is one of the best arcade, high-point addiction style games on the XBLA; think of it as a psychadelic combination of Asteroids meets Robotron meets awesome.

Bomberman Live
    - Classic top down, grid based Bomberman gameplay; awesome multiplayer/party style bombing gameplay with online multiplayer support.

N+
    - seemingly simple on the surface, this is a fast paced, addicting and surprisingly deep action/puzzle game in which you take your Ninja character and collect items in order to reach the exit before time runs out; use ninja skills and cool ingame physics effects to achieve your goals.

Pacman CE
    - Pac-Man returns in this enhanced version of the all time classic videogame. Pac-Man Championship Edition has many new and unique gameplay features, but still spotlights the big yellow PAC-MAN we all know and love. The enhanced version now features constantly evolving mazes, a time limit, and six different game modes. Graphics and sound have been fully enhanced in this new version of the classic game.

Sonic 2
    - The classic Sonic the Hedgehog game that we all know and love. Defy gravity in hair-raising loop-de-loops, bounce like a pinball and race like lightning. Play against friends at home or against others over Xbox Live in this classic game. Enhanced graphics and sound, and cool online bits like leaderboards and achievements.

Uno
    - Classic party card game. Compete against three other players to match colors and symbols, go Wild with special command cards such as Skip and Reverse, and be the first to play all your cards. Three game modes: Choose from Standard UNO, Partner UNO, or House Rules UNO. House Rules UNO: Customize 10 different game rules to suit your preference. Single player: Go up against three computer players. Multiplayer play: Go online via Xbox Live against three other players. Downloads: Get add-on theme decks to customize the visual appearance and game rules.

Doom
    - Id's classic first person shooter in all of its glory. The original Doom makes you a one-man army as a space marine fights through space stations, the shores of Hell, and eventually hell itself. Hordes of demons in a nonstop fast-paced demon-blasting game.

Soul Calibur
    - classic 3D fighting game that started the legendary series. Soul Calibur is one the deepest 3D fighters of its time, but is also very accessible. Easy to pick up and play, but with enough depth that any hardcore fighting fan can appreciate.

Alien Hominid HD
    - an HD remake of the Alien Hominid game, this is a game that represents everything we love about fast paced 2D action shooters. Alien Hominid takes its influences from Metal Slug and Contra, and combines some of its own unique twists in gameplay. Definitely a must buy for any fan of Metal Slug or Contra. Tough yet fun and rewarding, with excellent style and a unique sense of humor.

Metal Slug 3
    - the best of SNK's arcade classic series, Metal Slug 3 is difficult yet rewarding with some of the craziest and coolest levels and bosses in the series. Arcade platforming/shooting action at its finest.

Lumines Live!
    - A thrillingly-fast paced puzzle game that should appeal to everyone with its unique style and music that work together in a unique way. It provides an enthralling experience that almost anyone can be addicted to.Lumines Live! features full multiplayer mode on Xbox Live, unleashing leaderboards, achievements, gamer scores, online competitive modes, and more on Xbox Live gamers.

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
    - Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix downloads Capcom's popular puzzle game into the new generation. The new version of the game features newly created 1080p HD graphics, several new game modes, improved game balance, new stage backgrounds courtesy of Udon Entertainment and online play.You're getting a timeless classic with a great variety of new modes, and on top of that online gameplay. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix is most definitely addicting.

Spoiler'd for v-scroll

slash000 on
    edited June 2008
    It almost pains me to say it, but don't get Viva Pinata yet, unless it's for cheap. The sequel is coming out in September, and it's apparently a huge improvement/expansion over the original game, including the online multiplayer that was originally promised for the first one, multiple regions, a lot more pinatas, etc. Love the game to death, but from the sounds of things, the new version is the one to get.

Aoi on
    edited June 2008
    Wow, slash! Thanks! I'll look all of that over in a bit.

Somewhat relatedly, I'd like to hear more about "skate." What do people think?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited June 2008
    Wow, slash! Thanks! I'll look all of that over in a bit.

Somewhat relatedly, I'd like to hear more about "skate." What do people think?

Best skating game in years. Rent it at least. It's really worth it.

Aoi on
  • Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Skate is really, really good. I was completely inept at it and thus learned to hate it during my brief time playing it, but even I could see the awesome it posessed.

Also I can't help but second the recomendation for Project Sylpheed. The anime style story is a little cheesy but it's a really good space combat game (ala Starlancer, the Dreamcast incarnation)) and should be available as a budget title.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
    edited June 2008
    I really liked the concept of Sylpheed (and I actually owned the old PC Sylpheed title back in the ancient days that it was new), but the demo turned me off. The game just seemed way too difficult and complicated for me when I was looking for something more along the lines of Star Fox or the Panzer Dragoon games.

RainbowDespair on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Eternal Sonata arrived on my doorstep this morning, but I have not played it yet so I can't say a whole lot about it, other than the fact that I liked the art and enjoyed the combat in the demo enough to finally pick it up (cheap).

Sylpheed, as RainbowDespair has just pointed out, was let down by a very complicated and off-putting demo. The game can be found dirt cheap and I have to say, I really really did enjoy that game. Should play through it again soon. Some of the huge battles at the end are just epic and the better weapons are insane. There is some decent enough ship customisation, and once you get the hang of the controls, the combat really is satisfying. Dog fighting is fast paced and bombing runs against the larger ships look damned awesome!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Someone's considering skate?

Get skate.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited July 2008
    Perhaps, UnbreakableVow.

Perhaps.

Zeromus on