As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's all go to the lobby [movie thread]

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I Am Legend was great up until the ending that sucked majorly in every way

Thankfully the DVD had a better ending, but now I can't understand why they picked the other one for theatrical release

It is so bad

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I went to the Seattle Internation Film Festival (SIFF) a few weeks ago and caught "Sukiyaki Western Django."

Filled to the brim with cheez and timely epic-ness, so I would recommend steering clear of it if you aren't comfortable loving what's most often 'in poor taste.' It really is what it sounds like... The trailer does not do it justice, but if you enjoy it, you will be blown away. And if you don't, you will be blown away. It's a masterpiece, a real gem in its own right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYUecko6Vd0

Twinkie on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »
    I seriously think Bloodrayne had like a thousand times the cinematic merit of cloverfield

One of my life goals is to find the director and vomit blood all over him

okay, wow

I think you need to sit down and take a deep breath

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I Am Legend was great up until the ending that sucked majorly in every way

Thankfully the DVD had a better ending, but now I can't understand why they picked the other one for theatrical release

It is so bad

I hear that the test audiences didn't like that the characters solved their problems peacefully, with a minimum of violence.

Can't have that.

YaYa on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The worst part of the cg monsters was just how unecessary they were, these things used to be people, so why not just use people?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I seriously think Bloodrayne had like a thousand times the cinematic merit of cloverfield

okay, wow

I think you need to sit down and take a deep breath

raaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrr

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    DO NOT EXPLAIN THE PLOT

IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THEN YOU SHOULD NOT BE HERE

YOUR MONEY IS NOW OUR MONEY

AND WE'LL SPEND IT ON DRUUUUUGS
    DID YOU BRING YOUR BABY?

BABIES DON'T WATCH THIS

TAKE THE SEED OUTSIDE

LEAVE IT IN THE STREETS

RUN OVER IT AFTER THE SHOOOOOOOOW

IF I SEE YOU VIDEOTAPING THIS MOVIE

SATAN WILL RAIN DOWN YOUR THROAT WITH HOT ACID

AND DISSOLVE YOUR TESTICLES

AND TURN YOUR GUTS INTO SNAAAAKEESSSS

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

[edit] Excessive CGI is my biggest pet peeve, but if the initial ambiance is good, then I'd be all over I Am Legend

I Am Legend is pretty much nothing but ambiance for the first third of the movie

It is one of few movies in the last few years that almost made me tear up

Also man just because you got motion sickness doesn't mean Cloverfield was bad, jeez

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Cloverfield was a great concept and I thought most of the execution was really well done

I'm not sure how you could be so angry about it

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I liked Cloverfield

But Diary of the Dead as much like Cloverfield as E-Z Cheeze is like actual cheese, so

If you wanna watch a good zombie movie that does the whole camcorder view you should watch REC. Its in Spanish but its so good. They are also making a remake of it called Quarantine so if you don't wanna watch a movie in another language with subtitles you could wait til that comes out

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    FortyTwo wrote: »
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    DO NOT EXPLAIN THE PLOT

IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THEN YOU SHOULD NOT BE HERE

YOUR MONEY IS NOW OUR MONEY

AND WE'LL SPEND IT ON DRUUUUUGS
    DID YOU BRING YOUR BABY?

BABIES DON'T WATCH THIS

TAKE THE SEED OUTSIDE

LEAVE IT IN THE STREETS

RUN OVER IT AFTER THE SHOOOOOOOOW

IF I SEE YOU VIDEOTAPING THIS MOVIE

SATAN WILL RAIN DOWN YOUR THROAT WITH HOT ACID

AND DISSOLVE YOUR TESTICLES

AND TURN YOUR GUTS INTO SNAAAAKEESSSS
    THIS IS A COPYRIGHTED MOVIE FOR TIME WARNER

IF I FIND THAT YOU'VE SOLD IT ON EBAY

I WILL BREAK INTO YOUR HOUSE

AND TEAR YOUR WIFE IN HALF!

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Cloverfield was a great concept and I thought most of the execution was really well done

I'm not sure how you could be so angry about it

I was gonna type out a list of legitimate criticisms, but apathy overwhelmed me

I'm just full of virulent unjustified hate over here it's okay move along

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Twinkie wrote: »
    I went to the Seattle Internation Film Festival (SIFF) a few weeks ago and caught "Sukiyaki Western Django."

Filled to the brim with cheez and timely epic-ness, so I would recommend steering clear of it if you aren't comfortable loving what's most often 'in poor taste.' It really is what it sounds like... The trailer does not do it justice, but if you enjoy it, you will be blown away. And if you don't, you will be blown away. It's a masterpiece, a real gem in its own right.

Holy Christ.

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    LOVED Cloverfield... The execution of the build-up was spot-on and really set the movie on a good pace with me.

I haven't seen a lot of the movies that've come out recently, unfortunately.... That includes Iron Man. I am somewhat ashamed.

Twinkie on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

Fuck, this looks awesome.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm just a snob

My favorite movie of all time is The Seventh Seal

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008

There is NOTHING about this trailer that I do not like

Well, okay, that's a lie

Quentin Tarentino can fuck off

The rest of it however is like a wet dream for me

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Wait, Olivaw

Do you also not like Quentin Tarantino can we hug each other

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I actually really enjoyed Cloverfield. It was an enjoyable take on the whole monster movie genre, and managed to be compelling and entertaining in its execution.

As for I Am Legend... Some days I like it. Especially with the alternate DVD ending, which was awesome.

Other days I remember the fucking terrible CGI vampire zombies and throw up a little.

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Can we make this the Samurai Western Django thread?

YaYa on
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    YaYa wrote: »
    I hated Cloverfield and have no idea why it was successful.

Discuss.

You also hated Forgetting Sarah Marshall and thought Meet the Spartans was funny

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    KuwaKuwa Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    mmm, teaser trailer of some sort for the new james bond movie - Quantum of Solace

http://www.moviefone.com/movie/quantum-of-solace/26922/main

Kuwa on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    What I liked about Cloverfield was how well timed it was, the first time I watched it, the second I thought, "this is all well and good but can things explode now" things started to explode.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008

There is NOTHING about this trailer that I do not like

Well, okay, that's a lie

Quentin Tarentino can fuck off

The rest of it however is like a wet dream for me

I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered him playing a minor role in the film (there was no mention of him in the paper blip I caught about it)... But yeah, golden.

Twinkie on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Monkeyfeet wrote: »

Discuss.

You also hated Forgetting Sarah Marshall and though Meet the Spartans was funny

yeah, seriously

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I liked Cloverfield

But Diary of the Dead as much like Cloverfield as E-Z Cheeze is like actual cheese, so

If you wanna watch a good zombie movie that does the whole camcorder view you should watch REC. Its in Spanish but its so good. They are also making a remake of it called Quarantine so if you don't wanna watch a movie in another language with subtitles you could wait til that comes out

I saw the trailer to Quarantine the other day, and thought it looked familiar.

REC was all kinds of awesome. I am just hoping they dont screw the translation up from REC to Quarantine.

Also, I kinda like Diary of the Dead, it reminded me of Blair Witch.

And I loved Blair Witch, I saw it the day it was released. I refused to see, hear or listen to anything that was about the movie before going in. And I was glad I did it that way.

omega71 on
  • Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kuwa wrote: »
    mmm, teaser trailer of some sort for the new james bond movie - Quantum of Solace

http://www.moviefone.com/movie/quantum-of-solace/26922/main

Awesome

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Can we make this the Samurai Western Django thread?

Fucking... yes.

Twinkie on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Wait, Olivaw

Do you also not like Quentin Tarantino can we hug each other

I like most of his films

But I hate when he is actually in movies

It strikes me as highly lame, like when Shymalan is in his movies as someone important or insightful and it's just like god, you just had to play this character, didn't you

The cameos where he gets killed horribly don't bother me so much though, so maybe it won't be so bad

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Discuss.

Alright. Time to set the record straight here.

Yes, I did walk out of Forgetting Sarah Marshall because I found it boring and unfunny. However, I'd been up for something like 55 hours straight by that point, and I probably was in no condition to enjoy a movie. You guys have literally convinced me I was wrong, and I shall be renting it to see if I was having an off day or something.

I never said Meet the Spartans was funny. I said that it was not the cinematic trainwreck that everyone thought it would be. Indeed, a few very small parts were chuckle-worthy. Good? No. But not godawful.

Disaster Movie still looks like AIDS in movie form.

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    BigDes wrote: »
    What I liked about Cloverfield was how well timed it was, the first time I watched it, the second I thought, "this is all well and good but can things explode now" things started to explode.

Yeah I had the same experience

"okay this party is getting old can we get to the monster"

*shit explodes*

"well alrighty then"

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Alright

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Also..

Fuck Disaster Movie.

Oh and should I want to go see Choke? I liked the book somewhat and the movie looks pretty ok.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/choke/trailer/

omega71 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I hated cloverfield because they took what could've been a fantastic idea and basically said to the foundations of cinematography, "hey, fuck you, lets make something so our viewers will throw up halfway through"

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Discuss.

Alright. Time to set the record straight here.

Yes, I did walk out of Forgetting Sarah Marshall because I found it boring and unfunny. However, I'd been up for something like 55 hours straight by that point, and I probably was in no condition to enjoy a movie. You guys have literally convinced me I was wrong, and I shall be renting it to see if I was having an off day or something.

I never said Meet the Spartans was funny. I said that it was not the cinematic trainwreck that everyone thought it would be. Indeed, a few very small parts were chuckle-worthy. Good? No. But not godawful.

Disaster Movie still looks like AIDS in movie form

I prefer a celluloid abortion

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Oh man, I would be so happy if someone could work me up a Samurai Western Django Av/Sig

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I hated cloverfield because they took what could've been a fantastic idea and basically said to the foundations of cinematography, "hey, fuck you, lets make something so our viewers will throw up halfway through"

have you ever seen a home movie that was anywhere near as smooth as Cloverfield

because I know Cloverfield has some crazy shakeycam, but it really pales to the kind of stuff that happens when you give a real person a video camera

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Pfft, I didn't throw up and I'd had a street vendor hot dog before I went in, you could taste the pigeon.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    BigDes wrote: »

Pfft, I didn't throw up and I'd had a street vendor hot dog before I went in, you could taste the pigeon.

Was it good pigeon?

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

have you ever seen a home movie that was anywhere near as smooth as Cloverfield

because I know Cloverfield has some crazy shakeycam, but it really pales to the kind of stuff that happens when you give a real person a video camera

Yeah, thats true

It just didn't feel appropriately paced; I felt no empathy for the characters and don't feel like they acted realistically. In fact, the characters seemed like caricatures of what they really could be. Maybe I'm just attached to traditional filmmaking. I'm willing to acknowledge that my vitriolic hatred for this film is just a product of my pretentious attitude, but I felt like it was a terrible movie that could've been much, much better

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.