As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[IC] Exalted: Silver Seas - Everyone dies. It's over!

2»

• Options
    PowerslavePowerslave Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Episode 16: Enter Aeo!
    In which Exalts arrive, an Exalt appears, and everyone eats
    (6:49:27 PM) Storytelahahahah: Your remaining days in Windgate pass swiftly, each of you finding solace in your own arts. Gemini plots divinations for the future, attempting to find the path Fate has set for him. Smilie wanders the streets, talking with people, showing them the truth behind the veil of death, and returning every night to study in his small black book. Dezrik practices every day, honing his mind and his blade at the same time.
    (6:51:40 PM) Storytelahahahah: Finally, their arrangements complete, their hold on the city secured, the Exalts set sail for Starfall, to face the Immaculate Order in their stronghold. The journey is peaceful, the seas calm (aside from that one storm,) and the ash-falls have started to slack off as Abalone turns into a smouldering volcano, an ever-present sight on the southern horizon.
    (6:53:44 PM) Storytelahahahah: As the ship approaches the port of Starfall, a mass of small ships surrounds it, the harbor bustling with activity. Cries of trade and shipping can be heard clearly across the water, and the sun shines on a city that looks entirely overcrowded.
    (6:54:09 PM) ***Gemini binds together his sorcerous manual and astrological tomes, locking them away inside the large oak desk in his quarters, as the port of Starfall comes into view through the salt-stained window.
    (6:55:42 PM) ***Dezrik stands on the deck of the ship, cloak and hood obscuring much of his features as ever. He stares out at Starfall unblinkingly, appraising the threat they are liable to face within.
    (6:56:12 PM) ***Gemini walks abovedeck, joining Dezrik as they wait eagerly for the helmsman to guide the ship alongside the dock.
    (6:56:41 PM) ***Smilie has been absent for some time, having disappeared midway through the trip
    (6:58:00 PM) Storytelahahahah: As the helmsman expertly guides the ship through the crowded waters, a lookout from the shore calls out. "HO, THE CONSTELLATION! WHAT BE YOUR BUSINESS IN STARFALL?"
    (6:58:47 PM) Gemini: "The nights have been getting warmer, now that the ash is finally clearing out of the sky," Gemini mentions to Dezrik, letting the sorcerous ritual that has kept the sails full finally uncoil, as the lookout's cry pierces across the water.
    (7:00:22 PM) ***Gemini cups his hands to his mouth and yells out a cry in response "HO! WE BRING PASSENGERS FROM WINDGATE!"
    (7:01:07 PM) Storytelahahahah: A brief pause, before another cry echoes across the water. "WE HAVE NO MORE ROOM FOR REFUGEES, IF THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE BRINGING!"
    (7:03:26 PM) ***Gemini sighs, looking around for Smilie, who had been up to his vanishing tricks. "WE BRING NOT REFUGEES, BUT PROPERTIED TRAVELERS!"
    (7:04:35 PM) Smilie: Someone waves from the docks, and as the Constellation drifts closer it becomes obvious that it's Smilie, having gotten ahead of his associates somehow. He shouts up towards the lookout. "They're here on travel and business!"
    (7:05:06 PM) Storytelahahahah: "ENTER, AND BE WELCOME!" The lookout vaguely waves towards one of the few empty spots in the harbor.
    (7:05:32 PM) Storytelahahahah: The helmsman immediately turns the ship towards it, humming a tune as the rest of the crew scrambles to prepare for shore.
    (7:08:24 PM) ***Gemini cocks his head towards the shore-bound necromancer, as a bustle of activity swirls around him, crew members tying ropes and anchors to prepare to dock.
    (7:11:27 PM) ***Dezrik disembarks the moment it becomes possible to do so, approaching Smilie and querying in his typical gruff tone. "Found anything out since you got here ahead of us?"
    (7:11:54 PM) ***Gemini takes a running jump of the edge of the railing as the ship nears the harbor-works, pirrouetting through the air before coming to a soft landing next to the grinning priest. "I don't doubt that you only came ashore thirty seconds ago, but if that's not the case, have you learned anything of interest?"
    (7:12:10 PM) ***Smilie rubs his chin. "Well, in the-" he checks the shadow of his staff, gauging the time "-minute I've been here, I've found out it's easy to dock."
    (7:12:50 PM) Dezrik: "Lovely."
    (7:14:26 PM) Gemini: "Well, the crew's already been paid, so I think we should take a look at our accommodations for the duration here. Do you have the list of properties?"
    (7:14:58 PM) Storytelahahahah: The sound of boots tramping towards you strikes your ears harshly. Turning, you see a man with shaven head and dressed in deep blue robes walking up the shore towards you, followed by a small squad of soldiers.
    (7:15:00 PM) Smilie: "Now, I'd like for us to go about our business in a less-aimless fashion than last time, so it's imperative we discern where to begin." He pats his staff against his other hand. "I suggest we get in touch with Miss Ivy. She might know or be able to tell us something of use."
    (7:15:36 PM) Dezrik: "Company, lads."
    (7:15:44 PM) ***Smilie places a finger to his lips after he says this, looking almost gleeful at the sound of the approaching soldiers.
    (7:16:58 PM) ***Dezrik takes a position behind the two smaller men, hood raised and cloaked as ever. All signs of his nature concealed...for now.
    (7:17:14 PM) Storytelahahahah: The man looks between the small group, and bows. "I welcome you to Starfall. As a representative of the Immaculate Order, I am here to search your ship to ensure that no contraband or heresy shall enter the city through you. Which of you owns this vessel?"
    (7:17:52 PM) ***Smilie glances to Gemini.
    (7:17:59 PM) ***Gemini turns towards the small detachment, their bald leader addressing the group. "The Constellation is mine."
    (7:19:17 PM) Storytelahahahah: The Immaculate nods, and gestures towards the ship. "Men, search it. Be thorough." Returning his gaze to Gemini, he bows again. "I apologize for the inconvenience, but in these troubled times we must be cautious. Heresy lurks in every corner of these parts."
    (7:20:20 PM) ***Gemini steps aside to let the soldiers pass. "I understand completely, Windgate recently was under siege from dark forces."
    (7:21:14 PM) Storytelahahahah: "Indeed. The most noble Venomous Ivy informed us of how she slew the demon that was assailing your town. May I ask what your business in Starfall is?"
    (7:22:54 PM) Gemini: "My business associates and I have recently acquired property in the area, and we wish to survey it. Additionally, we would like to pay our respects to the savior of Windgate."
    (7:25:55 PM) Storytelahahahah: "Venomous Ivy is ensconced in the governor's mansion, at the height of the city." The Immaculate points inwards to the city, where you can see a large building standing tall. "Be careful as you move through the city. We have swarms of refugees camping outside of the gates, and some have turned to illegal practices."
    (7:26:56 PM) Smilie: "Have they?" the Priest asks. "How dreadful!" His associates would need to be blind to miss the opportunistic shine in his eyes.
    (7:29:37 PM) ***Gemini takes a quick glance at Smilie, noticing the flash of opportunity quicky pass across his face. "We shall remain vigilant, and we thank you for your warnings."
    (7:29:53 PM) Storytelahahahah: "Indeed. We've been trying to find those responsible, but they cover their tracks well. The Dragons will prevail, however."
    (7:32:51 PM) Smilie: "I'm confident they will." The Priest taps his staff against the wood of the docks. "The righteous always do."
    (7:34:27 PM) Storytelahahahah: Finally, the soldiers emerge from the bowels of the Constellation, quickly returning to the docks. "We found nothing, sir." The Immaculate nods, and bows to the Exalts. "We'll be on our way, then. May Danaa'd's grace be with you."
    (7:34:49 PM) ***Gemini straightens up and quickly snaps off a military-style "Dragons shall prevail," before turning to face the Constellation as the soldiers disembark.
    (7:35:25 PM) ***Smilie bows in return. "Thank you."
    (7:36:23 PM) ***Dezrik follows the Captain to maintain the appearance of a guard.
    (7:37:55 PM) Storytelahahahah: The Immaculate and his squadron head off down the docks, finished with their inspection as they move on down their patrol route.
    (7:38:18 PM) Dezrik: "...So this brings me to an important point. I'm going to keep a low profile here, and I'm sure you can guess why."
    (7:38:26 PM) Dezrik: "Don't expect me to talk much."
    (7:39:53 PM) ***Smilie nods. "Fair enough. I typically do enough talking for all of us, anyway." He looks from the docks out to Starfall, and rubs his hands together. "I'll go ahead and look into these 'illegal activities', if the two of you don't mind."
    (7:40:10 PM) Dezrik: "Just don't start a revolution without warning us."
    (7:40:16 PM) ***Gemini nods in agreement, whispering back. "We should all be laying low until we establish some contacts. Now, I might as well see where we're going to be staying for our duration here."
    (7:41:00 PM) Dezrik: "Aye to that. Let's be on our way then, Captain."
    (7:41:23 PM) ***Dezrik glances to the sides, it is obvious that the larger fellow feels a bit exposed.
    (7:41:43 PM) ***Gemini motions for Smilie to pull out the list of properties. "You mentioned earlier that one was near the harbor?"
    (7:41:48 PM) Smilie: The Priest waves. "I'll meet you there. In the meantime...." He saunters off into Starfall proper, looking especially eager.
    (7:45:17 PM) ***Gemini gives a quick wave to the departing Necromancer, who had made a habit of disappearing, and started walking down the docks, admiring the other ships while looking for the cross-street where they might find Bower's... no, their dwelling.
    (7:50:51 PM) Storytelahahahah: Gemini finds their new dwelling easily, a rather pleasant place a few streets away from the docks, enough that the constant smell of brine and fish is somewhat less potent.
    (7:53:03 PM) ***Dezrik strides up to the door, looking to Gemini expectantly for the unlocking.
    (7:53:29 PM) ***Gemini reaches into his cloak-pocket and pulls out a large ring of keys, taken from Bower's estate in Windgate, and begins trying one at a time until he finds the one that would work.
    (7:54:25 PM) Dezrik: "Watch it be Fae-infested."
    (7:55:13 PM) ***Gemini nods slowly, as key after key fails to open the door, under Dezrik's impatient gaze, obviously uncomfortable with being outside in public for so long in an Immaculate-controlled city.
    (7:57:25 PM) ***Gemini finally finds the correct key near the end of the ring, and the bolt clicks, Gemini swings the door wide open to gaze upon their new base of operations.
    (7:58:02 PM) Storytelahahahah: A small boy stands near the entrance, and bows deeply. "Lord Bowe-er... you're not Lord Bower! How did you get the keys?"
    (8:01:42 PM) Aeo: A tall man, dressed in singed rags and looking to be from Wavecrest, emerges from one of the adjoining rooms. "Yeah, how did you get those keys?"
    (8:02:57 PM) ***Aeo looks to the boy rather nonchalantly, and adds, "Oh right, that probably begs the question how I got in, too."
    (8:03:22 PM) ***Dezrik draws his blade halfway out of its scabbard at Aeo's appearance. "Identify yourself."
    (8:03:26 PM) ***Smilie leans in past the shoulders of his companions. Apparently it didn't take long for him to look into what he wanted to. "How does the place loo-" he stops suddenly, noticing Aeo and the child servant. "How did I manage to miss so much in only ten minutes?"
    (8:03:30 PM) ***Gemini notices the voice, glancing down at the small manservant, before turning to the taller, slightly decrepit man. "Lord Bower passed away recently, and as his wards, we've inherited his properties. Have you been maintaining this estate?"
    (8:04:28 PM) ***Gemini startles to attention at the sound of the daiklave being unsheathed. What's wrong Dezrik?"
    (8:04:29 PM) ***Smilie taps Gemini on the back of the head using his staff. "No, Gemini, no need to lie. Lord Bower was kind enough to leave us his inheritors and caretakers of his estate while he sought spiritual enlightenment in Lord Hamoji's court."
    (8:05:09 PM) ***Dezrik nods his head at the man behind the child, Aeo. "In case you weren't paying attention the man just implicated himself as one who broke in."
    (8:05:49 PM) Storytelahahahah: The boy blinks. "Well... you have the keys. I guess you're the new Masters? Dinner is going to be served to the servants in a few hours, if you want I can tell the cooks to prepare something nicer."
    (8:05:55 PM) ***Smilie looks worriedly at Dezrik. "Friend, please. No moves have been made against us." He gives Aeo a sheepish grin. "Forgive our reaction, sir, but who are you and why are you in our estate?"
    (8:06:12 PM) ***Smilie nods at the child. "That would be wonderful, thank you."
    (8:06:47 PM) ***Gemini blinks a few times, slightly confused at the state of affairs. "Yes, what are you doing here?"
    (8:07:41 PM) Storytelahahahah: The boy dashes off, obviously not wanting to be there.
    (8:10:23 PM) Aeo: "I was hoping to find out about our..." he pauses for a moment, fighting for the words. "Our mutual friend's recent dealings. There have been some rumors... completely unsubstantiated hearsay, of course, that he was involved in Abalone recently. Which, as you might have discovered by now, isn't there anymore."
    (8:11:49 PM) ***Smilie swallows, but keeps his smile. "I... see. In that case, we might have a lot to talk about which 'mutual friend' you're referring to. Why don't we all find a spot to get comfortable before dinner?"
    (8:12:25 PM) ***Dezrik grunts and slowly sheathes his weapon.
    (8:13:40 PM) ***Smilie squeezes past the other two and examines the rooms of the house, finally finding a quiet guest room.
    (8:14:26 PM) ***Gemini nods, agreeable to talking with this shoddily-dressed intruder, wondering why the housekeepers didn't object to his presence.
    (8:15:03 PM) ***Smilie takes a seat on a small stool, and gestures for the others to find their own spots to sit.
    (8:15:52 PM) Aeo: "I mean the lord of this house, Bower. No one who actually knows what happened at Abalone survived to tell about it, but people have their theories. Some believe it was the Yozis, or aliens, but I thought it couldn't hurt to check out the more plausible tales being spun. Plus, I don't really have to worry about wasting my time. It's not as though I have anywhere to be or anything, anymore."
    (8:16:31 PM) Dezrik: "The largest volcano in the West spurting magma-ey death does tend to leave rather a bit of a witness deficit."
    (8:17:06 PM) ***Smilie adjusts his cape pin to loosen its grip around his neck. "I see. And just why do you want to know?"
    (8:17:18 PM) Smilie: "Wouldn't you rather... move on?"
    (8:17:48 PM) ***Aeo holds up his hands, showing off his blackened hands and forearms. It becomes evident that the "hue" of his skin is actually partly due to being spotted with ash that's burned into the skin. "No."
    (8:18:08 PM) ***Gemini nods in agreement with Smilie. "How did you manage to escape?"
    (8:18:27 PM) Dezrik: "I'm going to put an early bet on "boat"."
    (8:20:31 PM) Smilie: "What do you intend to do once you find out what happened?"
    (8:20:32 PM) ***Aeo reaches up with one of his hands, and rubs his forehead gently as he speaks. "I blame it on a severe deficit of luck. Surviving that blast was no kind of blessing, no matter who or what may have said otherwise."
    (8:21:49 PM) ***Gemini glances from Dezrik, to Smilie, and finally to the intruder. "What makes you think Lord Bower was involved... what did you say your name was?"
    (8:22:36 PM) ***Dezrik has his arms folded and his hood STILL raised, apparently not in a hurry to reveal his nature to the man before them. He gives the aforementioned man a surly look as his comrades question him.
    (8:24:35 PM) Aeo: "I have rumors, tales, and hunches. This one seemed the likeliest. There's word that Bower had some dealings with Hamoji. Seems a suspicious fellow in general, to be honest. For now, I'd prefer to refrain from violence, as I'd feel quite terribly if I beat the hell out of the wrong person and all."
    (8:25:48 PM) ***Aeo scratches his chin, looking off in the distance. "I am Aeo, of Abalone... as you might've guessed that part."
    (8:26:41 PM) ***Smilie places a finger against one of his temples. "So you're looking for revenge. What makes you think you have the authority or power to achieve it?"
    (8:26:42 PM) Gemini: "And what makes you think you could do anything to the culprit, if you found him or her or it? Are you working for some larger organization?"
    (8:28:46 PM) Aeo: "I managed to get inside of this place unnoticed, didn't I? Just because I'm dressed in the remains of a potato sack doesn't mean I'm completely harmless. And now that I've answered a barrage of your questions, you can start off by telling me who you all are, and your ACTUAL relation to Bower."
    (8:29:17 PM) ***Smilie stands, hand on his staff. "You are not in a position to make demands, Aeo."
    (8:30:25 PM) Gemini: "No, it's fine. We're his business associates, and in his extended absence, we're maintaining his properties. Though finding someone here is... unexpected."
    (8:30:36 PM) ***Gemini repeats to himself. "Unexpected..."
    (8:31:18 PM) Gemini: "Holy shit."
    (8:32:43 PM) ***Smilie looks ready to chastise Gemini again for being presumptuous, but stops as the Captain makes his declaration. "What is it?"
    (8:33:34 PM) ***Gemini turns around and rapidly kicks the door shut, before laughing to himself. "This is unexpected, Chosen of the Unconquered Sun," Gemini's blue eyes glowing.
    (8:34:52 PM) ***Smilie gives Gemini a dull look. "Was that flair really necessary, Captain?"
    (8:35:08 PM) Dezrik: "Your kind are coming out of the woodworks of late. And no, of course it wasn't necessary."
    (8:35:37 PM) Gemini: "What, we wouldn't want anyone knowing about our new friend here, definitely not here."
    (8:35:48 PM) Dezrik: "The door has a handle."
    (8:36:01 PM) ***Smilie holds out his hand to Aeo. "Hello, Aeo." A small circle of glowing gold appears on his brow. "Welcome brother."
    (8:36:04 PM) Aeo: "The big man has a point."
    (8:36:41 PM) ***Dezrik lowers his hood, letting the moonsilver tattoos across his bald head speak for themselves.
    (8:36:46 PM) Gemini: "Brother... Well, aren't you trusting."
    (8:38:05 PM) ***Gemini sighs and glimmers his caste mark. "You're lucky it was me, and not some terrestrial sorcerer who discovered you."
    (8:38:40 PM) Dezrik: "We're ALL lucky in regards to that. Lets hope our luck doesn't run out in this city."
    (8:40:02 PM) ***Aeo pokes the center of his forehead, conjuring the ring-within-a-ring forth. He gives Gemini an odd look and shrugs. "I'd think you would consider yourself lucky as well; if not for your friends proving you weren't Dragon-Bloods, I would've at least made sure to take you down with me."
    (8:41:29 PM) ***Smilie lowers his unshaken hand. "Not as lucky as we'd like. Honesty is important if we're going to be working together, so I have an unfortunate confession to make."
    (8:41:31 PM) Dezrik: "A bold claim."
    (8:42:00 PM) Gemini: "You could have definitely tried, and you might yet still, so I'll remain on my guard."
    (8:43:04 PM) ***Smilie looks back at Gemini and Dezrik, and it's obvious what he's about to tell Aeo.
    (8:43:13 PM) ***Aeo smiles wide at Gemini. "Good answer. But we've got more than enough troubles outside one another to have to deal with petty squabbles as well. Now, my fellow Anathema, what can you tell me about Abalone?"
    (8:43:32 PM) Smilie: "We were responsible for it."
    (8:43:34 PM) ***Dezrik looks to Smilie, letting him speak.
    (8:43:41 PM) ***Gemini cocks his head towards Smilie. Was he going to say what Gemini thought he was going to say?
    (8:45:44 PM) ***Gemini lets his gaze fall back upon Aeo, waiting for his reaction.
    (8:46:56 PM) ***Aeo is visible taken aback, and pauses for a moment to compose himself. "You're going to have to elaborate on that one, Mr. Staff. I'd feel quite terribly if I beat the hell out of the wrong person and all."
    (8:47:46 PM) ***Smilie clears his throat. "It's a long story, so I'll start at the beginning."
    (8:49:18 PM) Smilie: And with that, the smiling Priest embarks on his most lengthy discussion yet. Complete with pantomime, dramatic flourish, props, and the hesitant participation of the other two Circle members, he describes the entire journey from start to finish, from their confrontation with the Lord of Earthen Fire to all their troubles in Windgate and finally their decision to come to Starfall.
    (8:49:29 PM) Smilie: "And THAT is why we are here."
    (8:49:37 PM) ***Gemini takes a seat in the nearest plush chair, cradling his forehead in his hand, watching Smilie pull himself out of this one.
    (8:50:20 PM) Aeo: "You're either a terrific liar, or you're a bumbling bunch of idiots with God-powers."
    (8:50:46 PM) Gemini: "He is a terrific liar."
    (8:51:06 PM) Smilie: "I assure you, I never lie. Omit bits of the truth, but I never lie." The Priest looks the closest to insulted he ever has.
    (8:51:52 PM) Dezrik: "I'll not bother casting blame, but the mishap that was Abalone is not something any of us are proud of though. Abalone will be a mere prelude if what I have foreseen comes to pass though."
    (8:52:00 PM) Dezrik: "For now, we're worrying about that."
    (8:52:26 PM) ***Smilie takes a breath. "Aeo, we've made some obvious mistakes, though it was not deliberate on our parts. Dezrik is right. We're trying to make amends, and we are trying to stop what is likely to come."
    (8:53:43 PM) Gemini: "It was a mistake, but we're trying to atone for it. We can't change the past, and if you still want to kill us for it, then you'll just have to bring it on, otherwise, you can either help us or get out of our way."
    (8:55:12 PM) ***Smilie grits his teeth, straining to keep his smile. "What our Captain means is that you can try to kill us if you desire, but it will only damn Wavecrest further."
    (8:56:18 PM) ***Aeo turns away from the others, staring at the wall. Tears stream down his face as he speaks, and his voice trembles. "You've killed everyone I've ever known. And now you wish to play saviors to the burning remains?" Suddenly, he laughs. And one laugh quickly turns into an uncontrollable fit.
    (8:57:15 PM) Dezrik: "No, not the burning remains. There's a whole lot of the West that's perfectly intact and runs the risk of becoming very much the opposite."
    (8:57:25 PM) ***Smilie glances nervously at the other Exalted. "I have no desire to play savior. If I felt my death might better circumstances, I would go to it gladly." The Priest hangs his head. "But it won't."
    (8:58:18 PM) ***Gemini stands up and walks over next to Aeo. "We've all known loss in one way or another, and we regret it, but we try find our purpose in avenging the past by making a... brighter future."
    (8:58:35 PM) Dezrik: "The destruction of Abalone means hundreds, perhaps thousands of -my own people- are likely going to have the distinct pleasure of starvation. I don't intend to add 'ravaged by the living dead' to the list as well."
    (8:59:49 PM) ***Smilie places a hand on Aeo's shoulder. "I can't claim to know what I'm doing is right, but I have too much to do to die this moment. If you want to help Wavecrest, keep us from screwing up."
    (9:00:04 PM) ***Aeo falls silent as Dezrik speaks, and he slowly turns to face him. "Yes, your people may starve. My people are dead already. What do I care about 'your' people? Do you hold allegiance to the insufferable pirates of Coral, Lunar?"
    (9:00:41 PM) ***Smilie loosens his cape even further. "I think it says a great deal about how much this means to him if he's helping despite that."
    (9:01:24 PM) Dezrik: "Ha, no. They rejected me when I became what I am. I will do what I can to protect my people nonetheless."
    (9:01:40 PM) Dezrik: "And you should care because when they are done with my people, they will come for what's left of yours if they don't snap them up on the way."
    (9:03:25 PM) Dezrik: "Don't think this is purely about Coral. This is about the West for me, as far as I am concerned all of it is my responsibility now."
    (9:03:30 PM) ***Smilie stands to the side, allowing and trusting Dezrik to speak without his interference.
    (9:03:48 PM) Gemini: "I've never told anybody this, but when the Unconquered Sun turned his gaze upon me almost a year ago, it came at a cost, and I lost friends who were like brothers to me. I fought with myself and wondered why I was cursed such, but I finally found a new purpose. Every day we regret the destruction of Abalone, but we thought we were saving it from the wrath of an insane god."
    (9:05:54 PM) ***Aeo balks at Gemini. "If you were so well-acquainted with the destruction of Abalone, I would think you would realize that your petty loss is meaningless compared to what you've done."
    (9:06:25 PM) ***Smilie keeps his silence, doing as best to look ashamed as his smile will allow.
    (9:08:20 PM) Dezrik: "This game of "let's compare our sufferings" gets us nowhere and merely agitates wounds. I will say this: We prevented the annihilation of Windgate, perhaps this entire island. I'm not entirely certain how much damage the Darkness's orb would have done."
    (9:08:24 PM) Aeo: "This is a waste of time. I would kill you if I thought it would make a difference, but it won't. My people are dead and dying and, if what you've said is true, then I must aid and protect those who remain. What do you plan to do?"
    (9:08:44 PM) Dezrik: "Our tale is not one of utter failure. I would hope that is evidence enough of our intent of redemption."
    (9:08:48 PM) Gemini: "If my life could bring back the people of Abalone, I would gladly trade it away. But it can't, even though every day I wish it could. So now we're trying to make amends to the people of not just the West, but of Creation itself, for the wrongs we've committed... for the wrongs all of us have committed ever."
    (9:10:17 PM) ***Smilie sidles up against the door, listening through it for a moment for any sign of spies. Satisfied, he answers. "First we seek to remove the obstacle to faith presented here in Starfall, and from there encourage people to worship in ways which they will find more spiritually gratifying in the times to come."
    (9:10:35 PM) ***Smilie taps his cheek. "Sounds a little simple when I say it like that, but it leads into more."
    (9:11:06 PM) ***Gemini nods as Smilie slowly explains himself. "They're not all gone, and we seek to make a better life for those refugees who survived. It's all we can do now."
    (9:11:40 PM) ***Dezrik goes silent as Smilie begins to explain, content to just look dour for now.
    (9:14:36 PM) ***Aeo sighs, looking torn and confused. "Well then, before I make my final decision, I don't suppose you would tell me your names, finally?"
    (9:14:41 PM) Smilie: "In the wake of the disaster, fractious elements are going to try and capitalize, and it's important that Wavecrest is united--or at least well-controlled--for what is to come. The ability to direct and coordinate Wavecrest's fleets are important. We already have the favor of Lord Hamoji, but the Immaculate presence hinders what he can and can't do."
    (9:15:42 PM) ***Smilie bows. "I am the Priest. Call me whatever you like."
    (9:16:26 PM) Dezrik: "Grins 'n Giggles is my choice personally. I am Dezrik Serano."
    (9:17:07 PM) Gemini: "Captain Gemini, of the Constellation, anchored in the harbor."
    (9:19:03 PM) Aeo: "Then lead the way. I'm going to need to kill someone around here."
    (9:19:44 PM) Dezrik: "Much as I regret it, the idea currently is to not start a fight."
    (9:19:58 PM) Smilie: "My intent is to try and avoid killing anybody."
    (9:19:59 PM) Dezrik: "Bringing the entire Immaculate presence down on our heads would be...problematic."
    (9:20:18 PM) Dezrik: "And rather useless."
    (9:20:18 PM) Gemini: "Good to see we've come to an understanding. First, I suggest that you get out of those rags and put on something less conspicuous, and we can formulate a strategy."
    (9:21:50 PM) ***Aeo pulls the raggedy cloth aside, revealing an orichalcum breastplate underneath. "Did you think it was purely for fashion's sake?"
    (9:22:16 PM) ***Smilie looks thoughtful. "Yes, the Bower probably has some good clothes around here somewhere. We should look good when we pay our respects to Iv-" he's left silent as Aeo reveals his armor. "-oh."
    (9:22:54 PM) Dezrik: "I'll need to leave my armor here while we attend to that. I don't think I can risk bringing much aside from my sword."
    (9:23:06 PM) Dezrik: "My tattoos are liable to get me outed as is."
    (9:24:02 PM) Smilie: "Unless they're demanding strip-searches.... But no sense in taking risks!" The Priest smooths down his clothing.
    (9:24:20 PM) Gemini: "Aeo, what gifts has the Unconquered Sun seen fit to bless you with?"
    (9:26:23 PM) Aeo: "Even before my Exaltation, I was a healer of my people. Now I just do it better. I also shoot things with arrows. Things of that nature."
    (9:27:37 PM) ***Smilie stretches. "I'll be waiting outside. It's likely to get dark soon. Aeo, we're on our way to pay our respects to our friend Venomous Ivy, who assisted us in dealing with the Darkness."
    (9:28:13 PM) Gemini: "Both useful skills indeed. Very well, we should dress in Bower's finest, and prepare for a meeting at the governor's estate."
    (9:28:16 PM) ***Dezrik makes his way to a room to get dressed and store his more problematic belongings. "I'll be right back...and don't forget dinner damn it, I'm hungry."
    (9:30:31 PM) ***Smilie disappears through the door. "I'll grab some bread before I go. I don't want to wait until night."
    (9:30:42 PM) ***Gemini agrees. "I second that, let's see what food Bower's provided for us."
    (9:31:14 PM) ***Dezrik descends the stairs a time thereafter, garbed in garments more befitting their destination. Only his weapon remains with him, sheathed at his waist.
    (9:32:17 PM) ***Dezrik looks to Aeo and speaks up. "Perhaps I should elaborate. An Immaculate worked with us in saving Windgate from the being known as the Darkness."
    (9:32:35 PM) Dezrik: "Judging by the fact that she omitted us from the record entirely, she may be a valuable ally."
    (9:32:48 PM) ***Gemini finally finds a suit that fits him, and joins Dezrik, giving him a once-over to make sure that no moonsilver tattoos were poking out.
    (9:34:12 PM) Gemini: "If not a willing ally, at least she'll be an unwilling one. She can't risk being known as a collaberator with Anathema.
    (9:34:48 PM) Dezrik: "Captain, they'd take her word over ours in an instant."
    (9:34:53 PM) Dezrik: "...That's not much of an approach."
    (9:35:50 PM) ***Aeo heads off to find some clothes, returning quickly with a relatively inoffensive but unremarkable outfit. "I wouldn't put too much weight in the word 'ally' with an Immaculate, no matter how convincingly helpful they may be."
    (9:36:28 PM) Gemini: "They are definitely an untrustworthy lot."
    (9:37:29 PM) Storytelahahahah: A bell rings inside the house.
    (9:37:41 PM) Storytelahahahah: And the small boy from earlier shouts out. "Dinner is served!"
    (9:38:07 PM) Dezrik: "Thank the gods. I could eat a horse."
    (9:39:04 PM) ***Dezrik hurries for the dining chamber to take his fill.
    (9:39:08 PM) ***Gemini groans, but it could have been his stomach, and he heads off to the dinner table.
    (9:40:29 PM) ***Aeo follows along, rubbing his stomach and muttering something unintelligible.
    (9:42:50 PM) Storytelahahahah: Dinner is delicious, the food perfectly prepared, the wine amazing (and not that wacky stuff from earlier). The Exalts keep the conversation light, for the sake of the servants, but eat heartily, because who knows when they'll get a chance to eat a meal like this again?

This game marked the appearance and first game of foofoo, playing Aeo. In case there's some confusion on how Gemini recognized him as a Solar Exalt, Gemini used All-Encompassing Sorcerer's Sight to perceive Aeo's nature. No, this is not how the Charm works, but by that point most of us were sick of no one declaring their nature that Rainfall decided it could do it just this once.

As usual, five experience to all.

A piece of wit that sadly could not be used:
    to be added once foofoo's says one

Powerslave on
    "Never trust anyone who spells 'magic' with a K."
  • Options
    PowerslavePowerslave Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Episode 17: Five-Dragon Fury
    In which Ivy doesn't understand subtext, Gemini doesn't understand subtlety, and the Priest doesn't understand combat
    StoreeTellah: Hideous Bower's cooks do an excellent job with dinner, his perfect taste showing through clearly in the sauteed fish and fantastic wine, and everyone dives in with gusto. The meeting with Venemous Ivy looms on the horizon, but nobody really cares when faced with a meal that's actually tasty compared to the galley fare on the Constellation.
    ***Gemini finishes off the local Starfall delicacies on his plate. The cuisine here was obviously more Realm-influenced, instead of the local, more aquatic fare standard to the island chains in the West.
    ***Dezrik stands up from the table fairly quickly, almost rushing through his meal. Though obviously (judging by the portions consumed) something of a food lover it is obvious his mind is upon the meeting to come.
    ***Aeo daintily takes a massive swig of wine and shoves a carefully-sliced forkful of fish into his mouth and chews voraciously. Without taking the time to swallow, he begins to speak, large morsels of food flinging out of his mouth with unsettling velocity. "So, what's your plan to get inside this place? And what're we supposed to do once we get in?"
    ***Smilie is, as usual, absent, opting instead to have taken a small bowl of rice with him.
    Dezrik: "I think we went over the first part. We'll simply approach the place as inhabitants of Windgate looking to pay our respects to our 'savior'."
    Aeo: "Fair enough. Then what?"
    Dezrik: "As for what to do...well at the very least appraise malleability. Take a stab at convincing her of the threat to come and getting her on our side I suppose."
    Dezrik: "We'd do well to leave that part to the Priest. As long as he's not trying to climb any roofs, he tends not to look like an idiot."
    Gemini: "It's a solid plan," Gemini admitted. "Where is he anyways?"
    ***Aeo gestures to the Lunar's daiklaive. "I assume you mean _metaphorically_ taking a stab."
    Dezrik: "Of course I do."
    Dezrik: "He's just outside. And on that note, I'll be joining him."
    ***Dezrik moves for the door to join the Priest outdoors, waiting for the rest to finish their culinary diversions.
    Gemini: "Very well then. Shall we be on our way?"
    Smilie: As Dezrik exits the manor, he spots the Priest eating his tiny bowl of rice as dignified as he can without a utensil.
    ***Gemini tosses his chopsticks aside, and follows Dezrik outside, into the night air. You could actually see a faint glimmering of the stars now, the ash sifting slowly out of the sky.
    Dezrik: "I've heard of oaths of chastity, poverty, and all the rest...but I don't remember any priestly oaths that forbid utensils." he comments.
    ***Aeo grabs one last gob-full of food and ceremoniously shoves it into his open trap as he follows the others out the door
    ***Smilie startles, suddenly dropping his bowl and tugging his white glove back over his hand. Some tiny black markings can be glimpsed on the back of his hand just before he manages to do so.
    Smilie: "It'd be too much of a juggling act to hold a staff, a bowl, and some sticks."
    ***Dezrik cocks an eyebrow at the startled reaction, "Not one who seeks a challenge huh? Ah well. Ready to get moving?"
    ***Gemini locks the door to the mini-manor behind him, pocketing the keychain. "We should be on our way."
    Aeo: "Lead the way, gents. I'll be at your backsides."
    ***Smilie nods. "Miss Ivy does deserve our gratitude, after all."
    Dezrik: "Indeed she does." the Lunar gives Aeo a wary look at that.
    StoreeTellah: As the sun dips beneath the horizon, the stars barely shining in the sky, the Exalts make their way through the streets of Windgate towards the home of Venomous Ivy. They spot a surprising number of armed patrols walking through the streets, but don't attract any attention.
    StoreeTellah: After a few minutes walk, they arrive at the mansion, the heavy gates twisted open, and a full squadron of guards standing by the doors, suspiciously watching passers-by.
    ***Smilie waves cheerily at the guards as he enters, slowing to give a small bow to the lot of them.
    StoreeTellah: One of the guards holds out his sword, barring Smilie's entrance. "Hold on, there. What's your business here?"
    ***Dezrik repeats the gesture but otherwise simply stands behind the Priest with a completely neutral expression.
    Smilie: "To pay our respects to Miss Ivy, savior of our home of Windgate."
    ***Gemini unhoods his cloak, and takes a posture next to the Priest, nodding once as if to confirm his story.
    StoreeTellah: The guard eyes Dezrik suspiciously. "What's that on your face, there?"
    Dezrik: "Scarring, from a variety of sources. Mercenary work doesn't lend to becoming a beautiful person I've found."
    ***Dezrik offers them a bit of a grin.
    StoreeTellah: Another guard answers Smilie's statement with a frown. "Lady Ivy is quite busy. She does not have time for every pilgrim who wishes to shower her with praise"
    ***Aeo forces himself into the conversation, pointing to the gate. "What's the trouble with your fence, there?"
    ***Smilie winces. "Ah, then it's a good thing we have a gift for Miss Ivy. I wished to discuss its transport to a location of her preference." He shrugs. "I suppose I could have sent a letter about it, but this is much more expedient--and more importantly, more sincere."
    StoreeTellah: Yet another guard grins. "Well, there's a story and a half. When we took the city, the governor holed up in here."
    StoreeTellah: The guard peers suspiciously at Smilie. "Wait here, I'll go ask her. What's yer name?"
    ***Aeo returns the guard's grin enthusiastically. "So whose handiwork is that? It's rather impressive."
    Smilie: "The Smiling Priest, Harold." He bows.
    Gemini: "We are her friends, the ones she met in Windgate. She'll know what you're talking about."
    StoreeTellah: The guard talking to Dezrik nods and backs down. Nothing suspicious there, after all. The one addressing Smilie looks surprised and dashes inside, while the guard talking to Aeo grins and leans in close, whispering. "One of the Immaculates. Huge guy, with arms of jade. They called him Stone Worn Smooth."
    ***Aeo blinks in surprise and a bit of awe. "Oh? Fantastic! Is he here now? I'd love to shake his hand... as long as he's not wont to crush my scrawny own."
    StoreeTellah: The guard nods. "There's a few of the Immaculates in right now. It's why they have so many of us on guard. Not like they need guards."
    Aeo: "I know how some people hate to be bothered by the little guys, is all."
    ***Dezrik folds his arms, otherwise remaining silent he casually turns his head from side to side, examining the grounds.
    StoreeTellah: After a couple of minutes, the other guard comes back out. He gulps nervously. "Lady Ivy is waiting for you. Inside, up the first flight of stairs."
    ***Smilie shakes the guard's hand. "Thank you very much, sir." He gestures to the others. "Come along, fellows. We must express our gratitude."
    ***Aeo offers a sloppy salute to the guard he'd been chatting with. "Keep up the good work, and don't work too hard!" The latter part is said with a wink and a chuckle.
    Dezrik: "Aye sir." he offers a polite inclination of the head to the guards as he trails after Smilie.
    StoreeTellah: The mansion, inside, is filled with somewhat understated elegance. A statue, missing its head, stands against one wall, and a few shredded tapestries along another. The stairs are carved out of what appears to be a massive chunk of coral, leading up to two doors inlaid with shattered mother-of-pearl.
    ***Gemini slinks in behind the others. Smilie seemed to have a good, though still secret plan to make this work, it was best not to screw it up further.
    ***Dezrik trudges up the stairs as directed, wasting no time in heading for their destination.
    ***Smilie knocks on the door with his staff. "Permission to enter?" he calls out.
    ***Aeo tags along, lagging a bit as he admires the decor.
    StoreeTellah: The voice of Ivy comes from the other side. "Come in!"
    ***Smilie (with a little bit of difficulty) manages to push the door open, entering with his head bowed.
    ***Dezrik follows in after, eyes roving about the room in his typical appraising and slightly paranoid manner.
    ***Gemini trudges up the steps, a step behind the others, making a simple entrance without pomp or flair.
    StoreeTellah: Inside lies a fine, undamaged banquet hall, a fire blazing at one end, the rest of the room in shadows. Ivy rests in a chair with her feet on the table, a glass of wine in her hand. Four other people also sit at the table, faces hidden in the darkness of the room.
    ***Smilie approaches Ivy's position at the table, and kneels to her side so that his forehead touches the floor. "Our thanks for your courageousness and kindness in defending our city of Windgate, great Ivy."
    ***Aeo hangs in the back of the room warily, without putting up too much of a guarded stance.
    ***Gemini scans the faces of the five inhabitants of the room, seeing if he could recognize any of them, letting the Priest take care of the small talk.
    ***Dezrik mimics the gesture made by the Priest, careful not to expose his tattooed face in so doing.
    StoreeTellah: Ivy waves her hand. "Stand up, Priest. No need to bow. We're all friends here." She laughs nervously.
    ***Smilie stands slowly. "I couldn't dream of lowering you by associating you with the likes of us, Miss Ivy." He glances out of the corner of his eyes at the others sitting at the table. He recognizes the woman from Hamoji's volcano. 'So,' he thinks, 'that's how they're going to play it.'
    ***Gemini doesn't bother taking part in the formalities, instead keeping his eyes locked on the Exalts on the far end of the room, especially upon the woman he recognized from Hamoji's palace.
    StoreeTellah: Ivy shrugs. "As you wish, Priest. Have a seat. Why are you here?"
    StoreeTellah: She waves magnanimously at the others, gesturing for them to sit down.
    ***Dezrik drops down into a seat, his posture rigid as ever. Especially here.
    ***Smilie clears his throat, putting on slight airs of discomfort. He remains standing, and fidgets. "Well, um, we wished to discuss rewarding you for your bravery." He straightens up, looking a bit more confident.
    Smilie: "We have a beautiful piece of artwork, a statue carved from glass. We INSIST-" he places great emphasis on the word 'insist', making it sound like a command "-that you accept."
    ***Gemini takes up a position behind a chair, knuckles resting on the top of the tall wooden back, preferring to stand.
    StoreeTellah: Ivy smiles, taking a sip from her glass. "Well, it would be simply rude to not accept a gift. Where is it?"
    ***Aeo approaches as quietly and nonchalantly as he can muster, and takes a seat without comment.
    ***Gemini blinks twice. What game was the Necromancer playing at here?
    Smilie: "Not here. Seeing as it's made of glass, it's far too fragile to cart it around with us." He glances slyly towards the others seated, making sure they get the gist of his next few words. "Therefore, we had decided the best way to arrange its transportation would be to coordinate with you. It is YOUR gift, after all."
    StoreeTellah: Ivy grins. "Where is it now, then? I'll send some men to fetch it directly."
    Smilie: "It is in Windgate. But I must INSIST-" again, that same emphasis "-that you allow me and my business associates to arrange its transportation via our own routes. I CAN'T have anyone but us paying for that."
    StoreeTellah: Ivy sighs. "Priest, you test my patience. If it's not even in this city, why did you come all this way?"
    ***Gemini watches the reaction of the other exalts in the room. It didn't seem like Smilie's coded wording was getting across.
    Smilie: "As I mentioned, to pay our respects for your heroism and to arrange transportation of a very fragile piece of art that can't risk being banged around with constant transport."
    ***Smilie gestures towards Ivy. "These arrangements would be best done with your input, Miss Ivy. We don't wish to burden you or your friends with the cost and effort of its transportation."
    StoreeTellah: Ivy rolls her eyes. "Well, when do you wish to arrange this transpor-"
    StoreeTellah: The table cracks up the middle, and the largest man in the room, easily seven feet tall, stands up, a faint whirring heard beneath his motions. "I am SICK of these GAMES!"
    ***Dezrik turns his head towards the man but otherwise says nothing, merely cocking an eyebrow.
    ***Aeo looks up at the man and grins. "AH! You must be Stone Worn Smooth! Fantastic. I didn't know that I'd be able to see you in the flesh."
    StoreeTellah: The Immaculate glares at Aeo, and sits down suddenly.
    StoreeTellah: Ivy yawns. "Pardon my compatriot. He's normally quite restrained."
    StoreeTellah: "But since he's gone and said it... Why. Are. You. Here." She glares at Smilie, placing her glass on the table.
    ***Smilie covers his mouth. "Well, your friend did see right through us, so I'll come clean. I've already told you why, but that's just a pretense. Truthfully, it was an opportunity to speak personally to a woman of accomplishment and magnitude."
    ***Gemini walks over the the woman they had observed earlier at Hamoji's palace, the one who had been dressed in white. "Pardon, but I believe we have met on occasion."
    StoreeTellah: Ivy nods. "There is a mutual respect, Priest. But be reasonable, here. Back away."
    StoreeTellah: The woman smiles up at Gemini, brushing her hair away from her face. "Indeed. Hamoji's sanctum."
    Dezrik: "We don't have the luxury of that option. And before anyone asks, no that is not a threat of any sort." The Lunar finally speaks up.
    ***Smilie throws his arms up. "Fine, then. Why has nothing happened yet?" he bluntly asks the room.
    Dezrik: "Good a question as any," he muses.
    Gemini: "Yes..." Gemini agrees. "And before that, I seem to remem-," suddenly cut off by Smilie's outburst.
    Gemini: "Well well, he does have some impatience after all."
    StoreeTellah: Ivy smiles. "Because we don't have an army."
    ***Aeo leans forward, wearing a look of pacified complacency. It's not difficult to play dumb when you really don't know what's going on. But there's a hint of smugness there, as well.
    ***Smilie gives Ivy a dull look. "I meant in here, right now, all of us knowing what we know."
    StoreeTellah: Ivy sighs. "Fine, then. Shall we?" She stands up, grabbing her bow from underneath the table.
    StoreeTellah: The mountainous Immaculate stands up once more, clenching his fists.
    Dezrik: "Hold your horses Ivy. 'Why' doesn't mean we WANT it to happen."
    ***Aeo groans. "Is this really necessary? I was hoping to simply admire everyone's greatness as it were... not admiring it spilled all over the floor and walls."
    ***Gemini looks into the face of the woman, and then to Ivy, who has armed herself. "We mean this to remain civil."
    ***Smilie rubs his forehead. "You don't wish to do that, fellows. We have no desire to fight, and we're all more valuable to each other alive."
    Dezrik: The Lunar remains seated despite the gestures.
    StoreeTellah: The Air-aspect stands from the table, winds ruffling around her as she moves. "You did something to Hamoji, with your twisted words."
    StoreeTellah: "What did you do?"
    ***Smilie stares at the Air aspect Ash-Upon-the-Breeze. Then he bursts out laughing. Not derisively, but genuinely entertained.
    ***Smilie takes a deep breath. "Hoo... sorry about that. I just... I didn't think you'd believed our melodrama."
    ***Aeo raises his hand suddenly. "Excuse me? I haven't the slightest clue what's going on here. May I be excused before you all decide to snap and try to kill each other?"
    StoreeTellah: "Melodrama?" Ash looks suspiciously at Smilie, as the armored man and the bald man rise to their feet.
    Dezrik: "Sarcasm is a trait that runs high in our little group." he explains simply for the woman.
    ***Smilie nods. "Right, right then. Sorry about that, Aeo." He gestures with his staff to Ash, Ivy, and the other Immaculates. "One moment, and I'll summarize for all our benefits."
    Smilie: The Priest points his staff at Ivy. "We met Miss Ivy while confronting a powerful ghost called the Darkness, destroyed it, and let her take the credit because, really, we didn't need it."
    ***Smilie then points his staff towards Ash
    Smilie: "We met her inside Lord Hamoji's sanctum as we attempted to negotiate some reforms and alterations to both Wavecrest's faith and his role in it, to better secure the people's spiritual welfare in the wake of the tragedies and tough times that will likely befall them."
    Aeo: "I wasn't asking for an exposition, I was asking for an exit," Aeo mutters to himself.
    ***Smilie gives his staff a wave. "Me and the god put on some ridiculous show to obfuscate this negotiation. I honestly didn't expect you to believe it, Miss Ash," he bows, looking as apologetic as he can, "my intent was only to make you uncertain of the nature of the meeting, not give you a false impression."
    ***Gemini listens to the Priest's words, wondering how well his explanation would go over. He expended a slight burst of essence, making sure that whatever happened, he wasn't taken off guard. "This isn't your problem, Aeo. Feel free to leave."
    ***Aeo shifts slightly in his seat. It's not much, but it's noticeable. To the unwary it would look like a simple nervous shift, but a more careful eye can notice it's to allow rapid departure.
    StoreeTellah: Ash Upon The Breeze rolls her eyes as Smilie continues blabbing. Moving with incredible speed, a Sky-Cutter flashes from her hand into where the Priest WAS standing a moment ago.
    ***Smilie blinks away for a moment, and reappears crouched on the broken table. "We don't wish to fight you, and we will try our hardest to not injure you too badly, and give mercy should it be asked for. Is this fair?"
    StoreeTellah: Ash shrugs. "I've never worried about being fair, Anathema." Her hand blurs again, and the sky-cutter whips towards the Priest again.
    StoreeTellah: Once again, the priest simply isn't where the blade is, and a moment later he's there again. Ash frowns, her eyes narrowing.
    Smilie: "You're only hurting me if I let you, Miss. I'd much rather talk over a nice bottle of wine, wouldn't you?"
    Aeo: "You could be doing a better job of deescalating the situation, Priest."
    ***Dezrik manifests as his typical serpent man covered in rocky hide, his blade drawn. "I'd prefer we stop here, as I'd find it remarkably tragic if I, the giant serpent thing, am going to be the civilized one compared to a bunch of Realmers."
    Dezrik: "I mean really."
    StoreeTellah: The armored warrior lowers himself into a fighting stance, his twin blades igniting with flames as he stares across the table at Dezrik, not flinching at his monstrous form.
    StoreeTellah: "We don't have to be civilized to demons."
    Dezrik: "You're a real social butterfly aren't you? I can tell."
    StoreeTellah: Stone Worn Smooth smashes his jade fists together, setting his feet wide, his stance solidly connected to the earth. "It's been some time since we fought Anathema together. I look forward to this."
    ***Aeo shoots to his feet, dashing backwards as a golden powerbow appears in his hands. "I've heard great things about you, Stone Worn Smooth. Let's see if you can match the legend!" An arrow goes flying from his bow straight at the huge man.
    StoreeTellah: Stone Worn Smooth laughs as the arrow approaches him, holding out his fist and clenching around it as it whistles towards him. The arrow flies straight through his grasp, however, and strikes him square in his chest.
    ***Gemini watches as Ash-Upon-The-Breeze, if that's her real name, makes two quick strikes at the necromancer. "You don't need to do this foolish action, and you can still stop. We do not want to fight with you. Anathema are not always the demons we had once thought," Gemini whispers, leaping backwards in a tall jump, disappearing from sight in the middle of the tall leap.
    StoreeTellah: Stone chuckles, tossing the arrow aside. "That barely scratched me, worm!"
    StoreeTellah: Salacious Dolphin jumps on top of the table, his feet moving like a man well-accustomed to the sea as he swings a chain around his head.
    StoreeTellah: Ivy sighs as she strings an arrow to her bow, raising it up. "You shouldn't have come here." A faint image of vines appears around her arrow as she lets it fly at the Priest, the arrow thudding into the wall as he vanishes into thin air.
    StoreeTellah: Ash leaps into the air, her weapon flying from her arm yet again, aimed directly at the monstrous Lunar warrior.
    StoreeTellah: The Fire-Aspected Immaculate raises his eyebrows as he sees Smilie vanish, and pauses for a moment, focusing his energies within.
    Dezrik: "The West needs you...Coral needs you, but no! You throw it all aside for glory in battle against us! NRRRAAAGGH!" The Lunar's language dissolves into explosive, incoherent rage. His tail cracks down on the table forcefully and he lashes out against Dolphin with the now blazing Argent Calamity.
    StoreeTellah: Dolphin cries out in pain as Argent Calamity strikes him, flying backwards into the wall. He doubles over, sobbing in pain.
    ***Smilie makes some incredibly vague gestures towards Stone Worn Smooth, his actions in his immaterial state only visible to the now-aware Fire-aspect. There's no actual intent of action, but the pretense of it.
    StoreeTellah: The flaming Immaculate glances over at Stone Worn Smooth. "Watch out! The demon has retreated to the spirit realm!" Leaping forwards, his blades of red jade shine brightly with fire as he strikes against what appears to be thin air.
    StoreeTellah: Stone pauses and takes a deep breath, pressing two fingers against the center of his forehead
    StoreeTellah: Stones fly from the ground around him, leaving tiny pockmarks in the furniture.
    ***Smilie appears suddenly behind Venomous Ivy, and brings his staff down over the back of her head with a loud 'crack'.
    StoreeTellah: Ivy yelps in pain, spinning around to face the Priest, a thin trickle of blood running down the side of her face.
    ***Smilie waves his finger disapprovingly at the Wood-aspect. "I am especially cross with you."
    StoreeTellah: "Cross this!" Ash spins her weapon at the Priest again, the very winds moving it so fast that it can barely be seen.
    ***Smilie disappears once more and reappears lounging in a chair, smiling smugly at Ash. "I figure you'll become tired of this eventually."
    Aeo: "You drop your guard too easily, Ivy!" Aeo shouts as he draws a plain-tipped arrow, nocks it, and rips back the bowstring. The arrow takes on a red glow and, as it fires, leaves a trail of red coronas in the air.
    StoreeTellah: Ivy cries out in pain as the arrow tears through her shoulder, pinning her to the wall for a moment before she manages to wrench free, bleeding heavily. "You'll pay for that!"
    StoreeTellah: Ivy holds out her bow, tendrils of Essence twining up her legs and around her arms as she fires a stream of arrows at Aeo, her wounded shoulder seemingly not impairing her aim in any way.
    ***Smilie looks away from Ash for a moment to check on Ivy, and his eyes widen in alarm as he watches three arrows fly towards an undefended Aeo. He blurs, half-warping into nothingness as he crosses the distance from the chair to Aeo. He raises his staff, and the wood twists in his grip and leaps out towards the oncoming projectiles as the red gem at its head shines ominously.
    StoreeTellah: The three arrows strike the staff, sticking in it for a moment before they rot and crumble to dust, blowing away in the wind.
    ***Smilie gives the stick a twirl and cracks the butt of it against the floor, glaring as a massive golden figure bursts into being around him.
    ***Dezrik turns his animal frenzied gaze upon Ivy, Dolphin's blood still boiling and hissing from the flames gouting from his blade in an ominous portent of what is to come. With a roar born of Wyld-madness his tail upends the table completely and he charges her, swinging his blade.
    StoreeTellah: Ivy flies backwards from the strength of the blow, the wall cracking as she flies into it. She slumps to the ground in front of the fire, incapable of movement.
    ***Smilie turns his attention back towards Ash, and flashes two fingers with a smug grin. This done, he raises his staff and charges the Air-aspect.
    ***Gemini suddenly reappears and leaps to the side, dodging Ivy's flying unconscious body and landing in a crouch behind the Terrestrial Exalts, out of their field of vision.
    StoreeTellah: The Fire Immaculate growls in anger seeing his compatriots fall, and his swords blaze up in fire as he dashes towards the Chosen of Luna, his blades spinning in a brutally fast motion.
    Gemini: Calling upon the sign of the winds, Gemini concentrates, making sure to not attract too much attention, as he begins the summoning ritual for a automaton formed of the elements.
    StoreeTellah: Ash leaps into the air, her feet landing on thin air as though it were solid, and turns to the Sorceror, shouting over her shoulder. "I've got the Unclean!" Her sky-cutter flies out again, carried by gentle breezes
    StoreeTellah: The weapon misses completely, flipping back into her hand. She smirks, unconcerned.
    StoreeTellah: Stone Worn Smooth sizes up the Priest, the Solar looking tiny in front of the massive Immaculate. His jade fists whirr and tick as they move, but they don't lack in speed as he lets out a roar, stone along the walls cracking with the might of his blows.
    Aeo: With Ivy down for the count, Aeo switches his focus to the Fire Immaculate presently doing his best to dismember the group's Lunar. The flash of a broad-headed arrow sweeps through the air as it's brought tight against the Eclipse Exalt's glimmering greatbow. With a vaulting pull, the arrow sings as it rides backwards along the edge of the bow. Releasing, it burns fiery golden as it seeks its target with unnerving accuracy.
    StoreeTellah: Once again, the diminutive Priest is simply not there as the Immaculate's jade fists smash past where his head had been a moment ago.
    ***Smilie slides off to the side of Stone, peering inquisitively at the Immaculate's arms. "Did you ask for these, or did something happen?"
    StoreeTellah: The Fire Immaculate leaps over Dezrik, swinging one of his blades in a powerful, blazing strike against the back of the Lunar's head, fiery Essence trailing behind him.
    ***Smilie almost glides over to the corner where both Venomous Ivy and the other wounded Dragon-Blood lie, and hoists the Water-aspect up, holding the man's neck with his staff, lifting him as both a hostage and a shield. "Children of the Dragons!" he calls, choosing to allow the situation to speak for itself.
    StoreeTellah: The impact leaves a burning scar on the Lunar's back, and the Immaculate lands on the floor with perfect form, grinning ferociously.
    ***Dezrik seems not at all daunted, whirling on the fire aspect his blade comes crashing down in a tide of glimmering moonsilver essence.
    StoreeTellah: Ash spins as Gemini prepares to unleash his sorcery, her hands glowing a bright emerald as the world seems to crack and break for a moment, shards of Essence blasting the doors open and tearing down the curtains, letting the light of the moon outside pour into the room. Breathing heavily, she turns to the Priest. "Drop him, Anathema. Or we drop you."
    ***Smilie shakes his head. "I'm sure we can reach a better agreement than that, Miss Ash. Why don't you go ahead and drop your weapons and we can play it from there?"
    StoreeTellah: "Your words are worthless, Blasphemer. Face the judgement of the Dragons!"
    StoreeTellah: The Fire Immaculate glares at the Priest, taking a step back from the Lunar. "Our weapons stay up. Let him go."
    ***Smilie quirks an eye at the Fire aspect. "I think dropping him would defeat the entire purpose of taking him hostage, now wouldn't it?"
    StoreeTellah: "He'd rather die than see Anathema live, foul Blasphemer!"
    Dezrik: "You think we're the biggest threat in the West? Ha!"
    StoreeTellah: Stone Worn Smooth shakes his head. "We do not treat with Anathema." His fist smashes into the floor, cracks racing towards Smilie and Dolphin.
    StoreeTellah: The floor breaks open underneath Smilie and Dolphin, sending stones crashing down to the first floor as Dolphin falls with them. The Priest, of course, is standing right on the edge of the hole, unharmed.
    ***Smilie sighs. "Honestly," he remarks with exasperation.
    StoreeTellah: The Fire Immaculate roars with fury, dashing across the ground at the Priest, his swords blazing with renewed hate and fury.
    ***Smilie vanishes inbetween the Fire Aspect's strikes, looking more bored than ever. "Sit down and listen, will you."
    ***Gemini twirls to the left and pulls a dagger out of his boot, kneeling behind Ivy's unconscious body and holding the knife to her throat. "This can end without any further bloodshed. Do not throw away your lives for nothing."
    StoreeTellah: Smooth Worn Stone stops. He nods, and turns to the Fire Immaculate. "Drop your blades. She lives. You live. You leave."
    ***Smilie rubs his chin. "But that's not good enough, unfortunately. Like it or not, we're set up against each other by virtue of our natures." He taps his staff against the floor. "I'd very much like to come to an agreement."
    Aeo: "Much like the one we attempted to speak of before you idiots decided to try to kill us."
    StoreeTellah: Stone places one of his huge jade hands on the shoulder of the Fire Immaculate, and squeezes. The man drops his blades, his eyes blazing. "What sort of agreement?"
    ***Dezrik breathes deeply, attempting to steady himself and not fly off the handle as talks ensue.
    Gemini: "We never wanted this bloodshed," Gemini grunted, lifting Ivy's body as he stands up, keeping her as a shield between him and the Immaculates.
    Dezrik: "Think. Why would we come here so underarmed and unarmored if a fight was our goal?"
    ***Smilie shrugs. "That's the thing, isn't it? I can't claim to know what you want, and how we can meet each other's needs if I don't know that?"
    StoreeTellah: Ash sneers from her perch in the air. "Anathema speak lies with every word. Worse, your magic twists the minds of those who listen."
    ***Smilie gestures to Venomous Ivy. "As your friend might have told you--maybe she lied even to you--we were the ones who dealt with the Darkness. We are the ones who repaired Windgate's wind-engines. Surely that grants us some doubt."
    Gemini: "Ivy had no quarrels against fighting at our side against the Darkness. Why should she pay for your intolerances, when there are much greater threats facing the West that only can be met together?"

Oh goodness, what can be said about this session? To be honest, problems abounded in the OOC room as a result of this session, with most everyone feeling a little sore and irritated with each other. Fortunately, this led to discussion about the perceived problems, and thus a better experience overall in the sessions that resulted. Looking back at it, it really wasn't that bad a session.

Five experience to all. I think Dezrik might've received an extra point, but Fiaryn's dropped out so it doesn't matter.

I swear to gof this was actually said before this game:
    foofoo wrote:
    when complaining that everybody is ganging up on him (either in combat or just arguments), he exclaims, "it's like I have a giant bullseye painted on my forehead!" "...oh wait, I do

How apt.

Powerslave on
    "Never trust anyone who spells 'magic' with a K."
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The skies darkened as the rain poured down. Sesus Amashanai breathed his last, the sorceries of the Solars proving too much for even his indomitable will.

Smilie, the robed priest, let loose a cackle that matched the thunder of the heavens. The others turned to him. "This is no laughing matter! Hundreds are dead. What are you?"

A faint clacking sound attracted their attention, and a massive, powerfully built person clad in soulsteel armor strode forwards. The only visible sign of the person inside were the eyes, black pits that could lead your soul into Oblivion itself.

"Gemini, Aeo, meet the Black-Eyes Monstrosity." Smilie giggled. "We're so pleased that you removed the last potential opposition for our lord. Now, join us, or die."

Gemini glanced at the body of his cousin, draped over the shattered rocks, the smoking head of Dezrik Serano, and the man he thought was his friend. His body blazed with essence as he muttered the words of the five winds. "I'll never join you, you bastard!"

Aeo sighted down his bow, his arrows blazing with essence as he unleashed them upon his former ally, only to have them pass through thin air. He screamed in agony moments later as the priest's thumbs found his eyes, digging them out from his skull. Moments later, he felt the man's staff cut through his armor like paper, piercing to his heart. Everything slowly began to fade away, replaced with the darkness of Oblivion.

A torrent of icicles shredded the body of the priest, pinning him to the corpse of the man he just slew. Gemini's hands blazed with power, and then he was subsumed by the darkness of the Void. Black-Eyes Monstrosity picked him up by the throat, squeezing him. "Don't expect help from Paragon-of-Sun. He was the first to die, the moment he left you. Our lord WILL succeed, and Oblivion will rule!"

A single tear trickled down the face of the Twilight. He had failed in the end. All his pain and suffering had been for naught. They had tried, and they had failed. A last glimmer of power rose within him, and he spat in the Monstrosity's face. "The world may end, but you will NEVER have my soul." He laughed in bitter triumph as his caste mark began to shine, bright as the Sun itself, spreading to cover his own body, consuming him, taking him to a clean end.

Black Eyes Monstrosity roared in agony, feeling the light of the sun burning through his hidden, twisted shape. His senses burned out, his mind still screaming in agony, until it finally let itself into Oblivion, ending the horror that it had been.

It was over, finally. Their attempt to save Creation had lead to nothing but destruction, and nothing but destruction remained.

The End

Rainfall on