As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kids today or: I miss my copy of Pokemon Pearl

124»

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    Organichu wrote: »
    He sells his 360 games back to Gamestop a week after buying them.

Well I mean, if he's buying them with his savings or allowance or whatever, I don't think that's a problem. But turning around and pawning off your gifts is in quite bad taste.
    No, it's just stupid. I'm not mad at him for selling all his stuff, I'm just kinda disappointed that he has no concept of how to spend his money.

Ah yes, I get you. I don't know about these apparently more forgiving trading paradigms (like Goozex) but I've seen some pretty horrible stuff at Gamestop in terms of throwing away money.

Like:

Xbox 360
    20 GB hdd
    Two wireless controllers, one wired
    Mass Effect mint condition
    Madden 08 mint condition (vshortly after release)
    Assassin's Creed mint condition
    Call of Duty 4 mint condition

For like... less than $230 cash. Total resale value at Gamestop for the used product was probably about $500.

Organichu on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So the morale of the story is to teach all kids about goozex. That way, when they pawn your gifts, at least they won't get ripped off. ;)

RainbowDespair on
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    yes.. even my wife preaches the gospel of goozex.

troublebrewing on
  • BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So the morale of the story is to teach all kids about goozex. That way, when they pawn your gifts, at least they won't get ripped off. ;)

I did, actually! His mom's got a little piece of paper with the name of the website on it in her purse. :)

But yeah, little update. His mom phoned and was letting us know she made it back up island safely. She didn't know I gave her son the game, but she did mentioned he played Pokemon the entire ride home. This makes me feel so much better, I'm glad he could enjoy it, even if it's just for a little while.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Beck wrote: »

I did, actually! His mom's got a little piece of paper with the name of the website on it in her purse. :)

But yeah, little update. His mom phoned and was letting us know she made it back up island safely. She didn't know I gave her son the game, but she did mentioned he played Pokemon the entire ride home. This makes me feel so much better, I'm glad he could enjoy it, even if it's just for a little while.
    He was probably just checking if the save file had any rare Pokemon he could trade to the other kids at school for some cash money before trading the game in.

-SPI- on
  • BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I actually made him delete that, as my pokemon's names would probably get him into trouble. >.>

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The thing is, you Americans only give away your stuff to these rotten kids because it's all too cheap/ easy to get over there.

I'd never give away any of my stuff to kids because I had to go to great lengths and spend a lot more money than you did to get my DS, my Gamecube, my PS2, my games, etc. Stuff is so much more expensive here that I don't even have a current gen machine yet.

If games and systems were more expensive/harder to find over there, you'd never five them away.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Don't hold that cross up any higher, you might hurt yourself.

freakish light on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    He's right. Everything I got was so easy to obtain. I didn't have to work and save up for months and months to get my Cintiq. I didn't have to cut back on other expenses to get my 360. It all came to me.

Seriously now, just because someone lives in North America doesn't mean he's fat, spoiled and rich. Sure, videogames may cost a little less here than in some countries where the industry doesn't seem as big, but it doesn't mean we just buy games like we buy a cup of coffee.

Djiem on
  • Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm saying what you should or shouldn't do in this case but I will say this.

The kid was 12 he is old enough to know better than this.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • mogdemonmogdemon Kansas, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Guys guys okay pause the fighting it's happy story time!

Thanks to G&T Secret Santa, I had an extra copy of Metroid Prime 3 from TxdoHawk. In true Christmas Spirit I didn't feel like selling it to EBStop for $5 and have it sit on a shelf. I wanted to sell or give it away in person, and though it's been a while since Christmas, I think I was right to wait this long.

For the purpose of this post I will refer to this person as a family friend: a (divorced) mom that I see on a weekly basis. One of the wisest people I know, and she's really proud of her 2 kids, as she deserves to be--she's raising them in a really great home environment and bringing them up to be very respectful and disciplined. Her son loves video games and will probably grow up to be one of us, with the exception that he will be very good at managing his time. Right now, at 8 years old, he is limited to an hour a day playing games and he sticks to that rule without his mom over his shoulder.

Recently, the family got a Wii--his mom immediately mentioned how much he was enjoying it. This morning I finally remembered to grab my extra Prime 3 on the way out. I gave it to her when I came inside, explained the situation, and said it was a gift. She said, "I'll give it to--no wait, I want you to take this back and hand it to him in person. I want you to see the look on his face," she said, grinning.

She called him downstairs (he had been playing Xbox) and I gave him the game. A single second hadn't passed when he grinned up at me and said, "Thank you." (I said this woman was raising good kids.) His mom asked him if he was going to play it later today, and he said yes, then rushed back upstairs. When he was gone she looked at me and said, "Did you see that twinkle in his eyes?"

He'll have played it by next week, so hopefully I'll get to hear stories of what an awesome game he got :D

mogdemon on
    apotheos wrote:
    You ever wonder exactly how many magic mushrooms the average japanese game studio design team consumes in a year?
    just got a 3ds! 3454-0598-2000
  • FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The thing is, you Americans only give away your stuff to these rotten kids because it's all too cheap/ easy to get over there.

I'd never give away any of my stuff to kids because I had to go to great lengths and spend a lot more money than you did to get my DS, my Gamecube, my PS2, my games, etc. Stuff is so much more expensive here that I don't even have a current gen machine yet.

If games and systems were more expensive/harder to find over there, you'd never five them away.

Then kill yourself. I grew up in poverty (near, I suppose. We had to go to the food bank often, and sometimes had rotten food, but we still had basic amenities), getting a new game maybe once a year if I was lucky, on a gaming system at least one generation old that I got through other people's charity, and I still gave some away as gifts. Just because you can't comprehend giving something from your collection doesn't mean that everyone in North America has an easy life.

EDIT: I just noticed OP is from the island. We should team up and beat this kid up, Beck. Teach dem 12 year olds a lesson.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The thing is, you Americans

Really? You actually started a post like that?
    Well good thing you have been around the world enough to be aware that all americans are filthy rich.
    We have major disposable incomes, thats why 99% of our population drives bmw's and mercedes.
    Also let this be a lesson to you damned american's, if you are rich, stop giving things away. I think thats the point stormwatcher wanted to make.

Smashism on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I can't remember if it was borrowing or he just took it or if it was his sega cd or mine but my brother sold off my sega cd games, including both lunars, time gal (shut up i liked it), dragon's lair I/II, space ace, that other DL-type game with 13 in the title, and more

dammit

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png