As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

need some help with PS3 audio.

DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
ok so I bought a reciever so I can get some true 5.1 surround sound. I'm really new to the sound world so I saw that it supported DTS 5.1 and picked it up for 50 bucks. It's in great condition and works perfectly fine. However, I realized I need a new cable for it of which I shall be getting tomorrow. It's the optical audio cable thing. Anyways, the problem I may have theoretically is not being able to get 5.1 surround sound and being stuck with pro logic 2.

I saw on the receiver that it has an orange plugin for "DVD Digital" and then an optical sound input for "CD Digital". The problem is that on the format switch it shows which ones light up with DTS and all that...and DVD Multi is the only one that shows support for DTS Surround and all the rest are in Pro Logic 2. I deduced this to mean that I cannot get DTS 5.1 surround sound unless I use that orange plug, to which the ps3 does not use.

am I boned?

the receiver is a JVC RX 6030V.

DarkSymphony on

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is it a digital optical cable you have purchased? I know those do 5.1 as that's what I'm running currently. I've tried looking at the online version of your manual but it's rather small and hard to read. I'd say, plug everything in and test it with something you know is mixed in 5.1 and see what you get. Like if you have a DVD with one of those THX title screens where the sound obviously moves from the back to the front kind of deal.
    It's not much, but I don't see why the receiver wouldn't do 5.1 over digital optical.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    Naughty_SauceNaughty_Sauce Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It sounds like the Pro Logic 2 input is toslink and the 5.1 input is coax. You could probably just use a toslink-to-coaxial converter (like this one).

No guarantees though. I don't really know much about home theater/audio stuffs.

Naughty_Sauce on
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm no expert, but I think that without an actual digital audio source being used with it it might not display that it will output in DTS. Also, you may have to manually assign the digital ports to be used with whatever device you have selected. Once you get the cable you should find out.

Also, how will you be playing the video from your PS3? Through the receiver or directly to your TV?

Interpreter on