As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rock Band 2 Hits September -- Timed Exclusive for Xbox360

• Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think it totally sucks that RB2 wont have Dolby 5.1 support... It was conspicuously absent from their announcement.

All jokes aside I think a lot of fun announcements are going to be at E3. The more time they have to blind side GH4/WT the better for HMX.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • pwnjuicesuckapwnjuicesucka Registered User new member
    edited July 2008
    " Hey, how about you wait until some stuff about the game is actually announced before you go off saying what it is and what it isn't, okay?

And regarding the lack of a "music creator" in Rock Band 2, I have to say I'm glad there isn't one. Any resources put into creating such a thing are resources not put into making the rest of the game better, which is a Bad Thing when the feature in question is likely not to be anything other than a passing curiosity for 90% of the people playing the game."

See I disagree with your opinion on the creator because the creator is PART of the game so resources put into the creator IS resources put into the game. Now the creator may just suck shit so bad that you would rather get a enema with sulfuric acid but if pulled off correctly I really think it can be a game breaker. It would be like if every copy of Doom 2 came with a copy of DeHackEd (I dont know if we have any DOOM marks that remember this AMAZING program) you would see alot of trash yes but also some of the most creative things also. Plus on top of that I just think saying 90% of people isn't correct as I think it is going to be a trend in gaming to have more control over creating things in the game. Hell LittleBigPlanet has staked it's ENTIRE existence on this being true. Even Halo 3 has the forge and I am not a huge Halo Guy but it seems to be a fairly popular feature. Those are just the people that wish to create things as well we then have to add in the fact that there are people out there who have conquered DragonForce and there is NO new Play Mechanic for added challenge the only thing left for those elite few at least difficulty wise is making and playing others home made songs.
    ANyway I believe that since Rock Band is about being a fake Rock band not a fake Cover band that making your own music is the next logical step and I can tell most people around here don't seem to care for it but I really think it will make more of a difference then it is currently getting credit for. Of course once again this is just discussion for entertainment's sake because it could end up not being implemented well at all and totally sucking but I guess we gotta wait and see.

pwnjuicesucka on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd just much rather Harmonix work on a music creator and get it right, rather than rush something out to appease fans. Or worse, have to delay the game so they could work on it.

As it is, the one in GH lost a lot of appeal to me when I learned everything would have to be instrumental. No vocal tracks allowed.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I feel that it's kind of hilarious that Rock Band 2 is being compared to Madden and its yearly releases. Especially when Rock Band has only produced one sequel thus far whereas Guitar Hero has put out game after game, year after year far longer and far faster than Rock Band or Madden.

Also, I think it's safe to assume that, given that it was just announced days ago, Harmonix might have just a smidge more to reveal yet. Hell, it's not even E3 yet.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    All of this makes it feel like to me that this isn't even an EXPANSION but a very EXPENSIVE patch! it'd be like a developer coming up and saying "Yeah we got alot of bugs and issues from our game but we have patched them now and for the small price of 59.95 you too can enjoy the game you already bought as it was meant to be played!" I am almost wondering if GHWT was announced and HMX just felt they had to respond because everything about Rock Band 2 feels rushed.

Anyway sorry this is turning into such a long rant I have a unhealthy almost borderlining on obsessive love for Rock Band and everything has been a dissapointment to me personally from the Drums being kept the same (meaning Rock Revolution is going to be my single player Rhythm game as the drums are more complicated) to no real new features just improvements. It just seems everyone wants to step it up except for the very people that raised the bar.

You weren't really taking heat for being a newbie, you were taking heat because you're grossly overreacting to a tiny sliver of a preview of a game that was just recently announced. Everyone involved has said there's far more than what was teased at in the IGN preview, so lambasting the game for "no real new features" is just absurd.

On another note: Rock Revolution? Really? Really?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ahahah Rock Revolution

Might as well get Drummania and call it a night.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man DLC is stupid why sohuld I have to pay for micropatches to the playlist I should get them for free like I get all my games and food and rent for free.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Free Hat!

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    " Hey, how about you wait until some stuff about the game is actually announced before you go off saying what it is and what it isn't, okay?

And regarding the lack of a "music creator" in Rock Band 2, I have to say I'm glad there isn't one. Any resources put into creating such a thing are resources not put into making the rest of the game better, which is a Bad Thing when the feature in question is likely not to be anything other than a passing curiosity for 90% of the people playing the game."

See I disagree with your opinion on the creator because the creator is PART of the game so resources put into the creator IS resources put into the game. Now the creator may just suck shit so bad that you would rather get a enema with sulfuric acid but if pulled off correctly I really think it can be a game breaker. It would be like if every copy of Doom 2 came with a copy of DeHackEd (I dont know if we have any DOOM marks that remember this AMAZING program) you would see alot of trash yes but also some of the most creative things also. Plus on top of that I just think saying 90% of people isn't correct as I think it is going to be a trend in gaming to have more control over creating things in the game. Hell LittleBigPlanet has staked it's ENTIRE existence on this being true. Even Halo 3 has the forge and I am not a huge Halo Guy but it seems to be a fairly popular feature. Those are just the people that wish to create things as well we then have to add in the fact that there are people out there who have conquered DragonForce and there is NO new Play Mechanic for added challenge the only thing left for those elite few at least difficulty wise is making and playing others home made songs.
    ANyway I believe that since Rock Band is about being a fake Rock band not a fake Cover band that making your own music is the next logical step and I can tell most people around here don't seem to care for it but I really think it will make more of a difference then it is currently getting credit for. Of course once again this is just discussion for entertainment's sake because it could end up not being implemented well at all and totally sucking but I guess we gotta wait and see.

Your requests will only be taken seriously if they are attached to a threat of harm to come if they are not fulfilled.

And no taking "nuke boston from orbit," that's mine in case they dork up the wii version again.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hearthjaw wrote: »
    It's out only in England, France and Germany for the 360.
    But wouldn't it be easy enough to export?
    Or is xbox region locking in europe just that crazy?
    ..oh and language...yeah[/QUOTE]

I bought my copy from the UK. It works fine and you can buy tracks on XBL, etc, but I'm probably in a minority. It feels kinda crazy that RB2 will be hitting so soon and by crazy I mean desperate to take on the next GH game.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    Arikado wrote: »
    ahahah Rock Revolution

You know, I saw the Wiki entry for Rock Revolution, and I clicked it. 'Cause, you see, I hadn't heard anything other than Konami was making a band game. Likely because, you know, nobody seems to care.

I laughed and laughed and laughed.

Every song is a cover
    Half the setlist has been done in either Guitar Hero III, Rock Band, or previous Guitar Heroes
    The Wii gets 'air' instruments
    The DS version (!?) gets funny gestures that will likely be ten times more embarrassing than shouting "Rock It!" into the mic
    You sing into the DS's mic (this sounds like a winner...)
    Avril Lavigne
    Papa Roach

It's all just a hoot!

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
  • GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zephos wrote: »
    From the interview on IGN.

IGN lady offers these 10 bands saying she wants them in rock band.

Agent Orange
    The Beatles
    Built to Spill
    The Buzzcocks
    Journey
    Led Zeppelin
    Modest Mouse
    Pavement
    The Replacements
    Tool

And HMX's reply
    "Not only have you named some of my favorite bands, but you've also named some of the bands that are on the Rock Band 2 disc. "

so, woot? Speculate on.

Edit: I'm just a smidge surprised that we didn't even get 1 band or a tease of an artist thats going to be on it.

My god, if it's Built to Spill I will die from happiness... which will be worth it. Even though I couldn't play it I would die knowing the rest of you could.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Omeks wrote: »
    Arikado wrote: »
    ahahah Rock Revolution

You know, I saw the Wiki entry for Rock Revolution, and I clicked it. 'Cause, you see, I hadn't heard anything other than Konami was making a band game. Likely because, you know, nobody seems to care.

I laughed and laughed and laughed.

Every song is a cover
    Half the setlist has been done in either Guitar Hero III, Rock Band, or previous Guitar Heroes
    The Wii gets 'air' instruments
    The DS version (!?) gets funny gestures that will likely be ten times more embarrassing than shouting "Rock It!" into the mic
    You sing into the DS's mic (this sounds like a winner...)
    Avril Lavigne
    Papa Roach

It's all just a hoot!

I looked it up and started laughing until I saw "Cum on Feel the Noize by Quiet Riot".

Holy Shit. Rock Band, needs that. Now.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KW2J_UZ8lQU

I would sing the shit out of that.

RCagent on
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    RCagent wrote: »
    I looked it up and started laughing until I saw "Cum on Feel the Noize by Quiet Riot".

Holy Shit. Rock Band, needs that. Now.

I DON'T KNOW WHY! I DON'T KNOW WHY! ANYMORE. OH NOOO-HOOOOOOOOoooo

I see what you did there.
    Don't worry, I tell no one.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What happened to all of the talk of there not being an RB2 and how RB was supposed to be "a console of its own" that would be continually refined and improved? Is it now going to be annual shovelware ala Guitar Hero?

Microsoft need to put their foot down over instrument compatibility now. What should be a pleasure is a headache because I'm sitting here wondering if X release will work with Y instruments and how much it will cost and how many sets of plastic instruments will be required to be able to enjoy any particular song as intended. I understand that the RB1 instruments will work, but my concern is if there are going to be features missing between them. And more so the split between GHWT and RB that requires separate hardware - that's totally bullshit and that's what MS/Sony needs to drop the hammer on.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lunker wrote: »
    All of this makes it feel like to me that this isn't even an EXPANSION but a very EXPENSIVE patch! it'd be like a developer coming up and saying "Yeah we got alot of bugs and issues from our game but we have patched them now and for the small price of 59.95 you too can enjoy the game you already bought as it was meant to be played!" I am almost wondering if GHWT was announced and HMX just felt they had to respond because everything about Rock Band 2 feels rushed.

Anyway sorry this is turning into such a long rant I have a unhealthy almost borderlining on obsessive love for Rock Band and everything has been a dissapointment to me personally from the Drums being kept the same (meaning Rock Revolution is going to be my single player Rhythm game as the drums are more complicated) to no real new features just improvements. It just seems everyone wants to step it up except for the very people that raised the bar.

You weren't really taking heat for being a newbie, you were taking heat because you're grossly overreacting to a tiny sliver of a preview of a game that was just recently announced. Everyone involved has said there's far more than what was teased at in the IGN preview, so lambasting the game for "no real new features" is just absurd.

On another note: Rock Revolution? Really? Really?

Hell, we didn't even know that Band World Tour was in the game til damned near release. His entire post just baffles me. He's comparing Rock Band to Madden, when it's been Guitar Hero that has been promising more than delivering, pushing sequel after sequel and spin offs out the door regularly, with many many more to come, and giving little to no actual new features until Rock Band came along and scared the holy shit out of them Even now, the only thing they're really offering for the game as a whole are the other instruments, something Rock Band of course did a year ago, and a music creator, something that doesn't effect the main game as a whole. I don't get his point at all O_o

Harmonix is very probably keeping anything new kept very close to their vest until E3 so they not only have more to reveal at the show, but also because it leaves the competition with a bit less time to copy them. The instruments (while I've had no problems with mine) were a problem, but in comparison, Red Octane has had many many many years experience making peripherals, of course they're going to be sturdier. I'm not making excuses for HMX/EA/MTV quality control, but still.

Aoi on
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Uhm, Beardo, last time I checked games are released on Consoles.

So that would make sense to release new games for the Rock Band Platform/Console/Silly Plastic Instrument Game.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    only to get thrown into a band with a logger
    That logger is HMXMoss, dude. He posts here a lot.

Ramen Noodle on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Why should the console makers care? They'll get their slice of the pie no matter which you choose to play. At some point, buying both games and then complaining about the sheer amount of peripheral equipment stops being a problem of the console makers...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Not only that, the logger is awesome and anyone who dislikes sharing the stage with him is most likely a scoundrel, a blackguard, and a scalliwag. Pardon my extreme language.
    ANTVGM64 wrote:

So that would make sense to release new games for the Rock Band Platform/Console/Silly Plastic Instrument Game.

I was paraphrasing comments from the PA RB threads around launch date last year, when discussion of the inevitability of RB2 was happening. There were assertions that RB releases were not an annual thing, and that the RB platform itself was viewed as a sort of pseudo-console in that it was a software based gaming platform. There was even some conjecture that there wouldn't be an RB, or at least not until the next wave of consoles. It sounds like Harmonix is going out of the way to assure compatibility, so that's not a big deal. As far as why MS and Sony should care, they should care for the same reasons they care about companies adhering to the APIs for their controllers. There is a saturation point and a backlash point not far beyond. They should also care because having an API for musical controllers means that other companies will be able to develop for the HMX or Red Octane instruments, and selling more games and systems is definitely in MS/Sony's interests.

Fatty McBeardo on
    edited July 2008
    What happened to all of the talk of there not being an RB2 and how RB was supposed to be "a console of its own" that would be continually refined and improved? Is it now going to be annual shovelware ala Guitar Hero?

I think Harmonix is trying the best to make that so, since basically Rock Band 2 looks to be both an improvement as well as an addition to Rock Band; you either want it and add it to your Rock Band library, or ignore it and continue buying DLC that will be compatible with the first Rock Band.

But Harmonix is in a bit of a bind, and basically has two options. If they don't release a sequel, people will be crying for more Rock Band and possibly head over to World Tour to get their new band game fix. If they do make a sequel, then you get people crying that Rock Band is selling out and making yearly entries when they said they'd be doing a music library console thingamajig. So they're kind of damned if they do and damned if they don't, but even if some don't want a sequel, those people can stay with the original Rock Band and keep downloading DLC, so the sequel route, they way they're handling it, makes more sense.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Why should the console makers care? They'll get their slice of the pie no matter which you choose to play. At some point, buying both games and then complaining about the sheer amount of peripheral equipment stops being a problem of the console makers...

Microsoft does care though, and as a result, most every guitar on their system is cross-compatible. I wish Nintendo and Sony cared.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »

whoosh.

Daedalus on
  • Magik_TekMagik_Tek Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

But Harmonix is in a bit of a bind, and basically has two options. If they don't release a sequel, people will be crying for more Rock Band and possibly head over to World Tour to get their new band game fix. If they do make a sequel, then you get people crying that Rock Band is selling out and making yearly entries when they said they'd be doing a music library console thingamajig. So they're kind of damned if they do and damned if they don't, but even if some don't want a sequel, those people can stay with the original Rock Band and keep downloading DLC, so the sequel route, they way they're handling it, makes more sense.

You're absolutely right. Harmonix is definitely in a tough spot. I think they truely wanted to have RB1 as the platform game and add features as time goes by, but with the rise of GHWT they had to respond. They can't allow a competitor to release a game that is basically a clone of their game with more features and just idle by, which is why we are seeing Rock Band 2 so early.

With Rock Band 2, it looks like it's going to be the game that has the features that should have been in the first Rock Band to begin with and truely become the platform that Harmonix had wanted all along.

Now, if we see a Rock Band 3 8-12 months after Rock Band 2, than I would agree that the series is becoming "Maddenized" and is not truely a platform.

On a side note, I wish that Harmonix would stop playing favorites with the 360 and stop putting the PS3 and Wii on the backburner. If they want this platform to succeed they got to treat the other systems with the same respect that they are giving to the 360 otherwise they will migrate to the GH series and make that a platform. This is coming from a 360 owner who wants to see Rock Band succeed.

Step it up Harmonix, seriously.

Magik_Tek on
    PSN: Fear_Magik
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Magik_Tek wrote: »
    On a side note, I wish that Harmonix would stop playing favorites with the 360 and stop putting the PS3 and Wii on the backburner. If they want this platform to succeed they got to treat the other systems with the same respect that they are giving to the 360 otherwise they will migrate to the GH series and make that a platform. This is coming from a 360 owner who wants to see Rock Band succeed.

I agree, but, y'know, moneyhats.

Although aside from the delay I don't really see how they've shorted the PS3. I mean, it even got a pack-in wireless guitar in RB1, while us Xbox owners had to deal with these primeval strings of coated copper.

Daedalus on
  • Magik_TekMagik_Tek Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

I agree, but, y'know, moneyhats.

Although aside from the delay I don't really see how they've shorted the PS3. I mean, it even got a pack-in wireless guitar in RB1, while us Xbox owners had to deal with these primeval strings of coated copper.

Harmonix would be swimming in Scrooge McDuck money if they got all three platforms, especially the Wii version, on the same level.

People want Rock Band, but stunts like that will only hurt them in the long run. They've pretty much have lost any chance of winning over the Wii crowd to GHWT unless they can hit a home run with Rock Band 2.

Magik_Tek on
    PSN: Fear_Magik
  • mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm going to jump on the "fuck you Harmonix you fucking cunts" Australia bandwagon.

It really is a joke.

It's probably more EA's fault though isn't it? Weren't they the distributor in Australia?

mooshoepork on
  • RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Its been brought up already in the Rock Band 1 Thread. But yeah:

http://kotaku.com/5021315/rock-band-2-preview-shows-journey-foo-fighters-motrhead-and-more
    rock_band_2_tracks.jpg

Discuss.

RCagent on
  • ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Harmonix would be swimming in Scrooge McDuck money if they got all three platforms, especially the Wii version, on the same level.

People want Rock Band, but stunts like that will only hurt them in the long run. They've pretty much have lost any chance of winning over the Wii crowd to GHWT unless they can hit a home run with Rock Band 2.

This

This, so hard

Half the reason I bought a 360 was Rock Band, because the fact that they just ported the PS2 version of Rock Band and added the first round of the 360 version's DLC as some kind of compensation is unacceptable

I mean, come on, even Guitar Hero 3 had online play on the Wii for God's sake. Maybe the lack of it and DLC is to be expected (lol wii) but why no custom characters or world tour?

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The Wii version of Rock Band was the last straw in the Wii getting shat on. I'm buying a 360 once that $50 price drop hits. The whole PS2 port thing is goddamn pathetic. I don't care whose fault any of it is, I just want a decent version of Rock Band and Guitar Hero. I just want to have ONE set of plastic instruments (except maybe the drums). Is that too much to ask?

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

What did I do now? I swear, I didn't do it.... Unless it's something good, then I did do it. Whatever it is.

:winky:

Just to be clear: something bad, I didn't do it. Something good, I did do it.

Mixed bag... umm.... blame the weasels?

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
    edited July 2008
    We can only blame the weasels if you got them when trying to order a bearclaw in Albe...uh...qwerky

Speaking of, that song needs to be in the game.

ANTVGM64 on
    edited July 2008
    We can only blame the weasels if you got them when trying to order a bearclaw in Albe...uh...qwerky

Hey, you got weasels on your face.
    Speaking of, that song needs to be in the game.

'Twould be hard/weird/disasterous/hilarious for the vocalist. But I agree.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
    edited July 2008
    If they put that song in the game, I will record myself singing it in my high 22 year old male falsetto voice every day for a year.

ANTVGM64 on
    edited July 2008
    If they put that song in the game, I will record myself singing it in my high 22 year old male falsetto voice every day for a year.

To-Do List
    1. Request audio team create Albuquerque DLC
    2. Purchase gun
    3. Shoot myself

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008

I think Harmonix is trying the best to make that so, since basically Rock Band 2 looks to be both an improvement as well as an addition to Rock Band; you either want it and add it to your Rock Band library, or ignore it and continue buying DLC that will be compatible with the first Rock Band.

It also has to be considered that on the 360 side, the patches you can put out for games must be extremely small compared to PC patches.

RB2 may have been re-written in order to allow them to update it with new stuff more easily than RB1 without having to use the Autoupdate system which also requires you to send everything through Cert and wait.

FyreWulff on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Arcibi wrote: »

This

This, so hard

Half the reason I bought a 360 was Rock Band, because the fact that they just ported the PS2 version of Rock Band and added the first round of the 360 version's DLC as some kind of compensation is unacceptable

I mean, come on, even Guitar Hero 3 had online play on the Wii for God's sake. Maybe the lack of it and DLC is to be expected (lol wii) but why no custom characters or world tour?

No custom characters because the background to the music on PS2 was a FMV, so the same situation applies to the Wii.

FyreWulff on
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I should RMA my drums now. I kinda miss playing them.

Ranced on
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Also, heh, Everlong on Rock Band.

One of the few songs I know how to play on guitar!

Ranced on