As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The American Presidency: This Thread Is 'Inartful'.

• DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Zoolander wrote: »
    Yeah uh if I can ask a stupid question, does McCain himself make the case that his military record directly qualifies him for the Presidency? I know I've heard him diss Obama about not being in the military on some policy point, but... does he actually go around saying this all the time?

Have you seen any of his commercials?

Obama mentions biographical stuff in his commercials too. Does the fact that he mentions he was raised by a single mom mean that qualified him to be President? You can call attention to character-shaping issues without making the case they directly qualify you.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Guys, guys, we've had this conversation with Deacon like 10 times now. Let's not do this again. He's content to view the world through his black republican eye-glasses, we're content to instead wear our more stylish liberal/Obamacan/Not republican glasses. Who knows which set of eye wear is the least distorting, allowing the wearer to see reality more clearly.

Well, there's a big difference between the younger Shinra's two posts. The second contains some well thought out, specific critiques - if you think you can get away with "lol republicans think in black and white and hate muslims", think again.

I honestly think you guys are torn over the Muslim hate thing. The smarter Republicans like Muslims because they make for easy scapegoating and fearmongering. The not so smart Republicans don't like Muslims because of scapegoating and fearmongering. I'll concede that there's a very small minority that are sensible and not trying to demonize Muslims.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited July 2008
    Yeah uh if I can ask a stupid question, does McCain himself make the case that his military record directly qualifies him for the Presidency? I know I've heard him diss Obama about not being in the military on some policy point, but... does he actually go around saying this all the time?

Obama mentions biographical stuff in his commercials too. Does the fact that he mentions he was raised by a single mom mean that qualified him to be President? You can call attention to character-shaping issues without making the case they directly qualify you.

Considering the almost ridiculous deference given to military service in this country, the fact that almost every president in the last 100 years has been in the military at least once, and the fact that you can still find a decent number of people that think it should be a requirement for the presidency, I'm going to say that your Obama example isn't the same as the McCain example. There is clearly an implication of authority on military matters when you mention military service (and combat experience in particular) the way McCain does, whereas the mention of Obama's family is an implication that he's a regular guy.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited July 2008
    I honestly think you guys are torn over the Muslim hate thing. The smarter Republicans like Muslims because they make for easy scapegoating and fearmongering. The not so smart Republicans don't like Muslims because of scapegoating and fearmongering. I'll concede that there's a very small minority that are sensible and not trying to demonize Muslims.

What specifically are you talking about.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

He comes close enough.

Zoolander on
    edited July 2008
    Considering the almost ridiculous deference given to military service in this country, the fact that almost every president in the last 100 years has been in the military at least once, and the fact that you can still find a decent number of people that think it should be a requirement for the presidency, I'm going to say that your Obama example isn't the same as the McCain example.

So your problem is with widely-held public attitudes and beliefs rather than with McCain himself.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    Zoolander, he's on the record saying that military service isn't a qualification for the Executive.

So I'm not sure why the Clark thing is such a "a-HA! Take that!" moment.

They agree.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zoolander, he's on the record saying that military service isn't a qualification for the Executive.

They agree.
    So tell me, why is the McCain campaign raising such a fuss?

Zoolander on
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

They agree.

I agree that they agree. But I don't think Clark's comment is an "a-HA! Take That!" moment, I think its more of a "He can't SAY that!" moment.

Cauld on
  • SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080702/ap_on_el_pr/ap_yahoo_poll_candidates_barbecue
    WASHINGTON - People would rather barbecue burgers with Barack Obama than with John McCain.

ADVERTISEMENT

While many are still deciding who should be president, by 52 percent to 45 percent they would prefer having Obama than McCain to their summer cookout, according to an Associated Press-Yahoo News poll released Wednesday.

Men are about evenly divided between the two while women prefer Obama by 11 percentage points. Whites prefer McCain, minorities Obama. And Obama is a more popular guest with younger voters while McCain does best with the oldest.

Having Obama to a barbecue would be like a relaxed family gathering, while inviting McCain "would be more like a retirement party than something fun," said Wesley Welbourne, 38, a systems engineer from Washington, D.C.

Party label means a lot, with three-quarters of Democrats picking the Democrat Obama and the same number of Republicans picking McCain, a Republican. Independents are about evenly split.

"John and I would probably have a lot to talk about," said Republican Michael Mullen, 53, of Merrimac, Mass., like McCain a Navy veteran.

One in six people saying they'd vote for McCain prefer Obama as their barbecue guest; just one in 20 Obama backers would invite McCain.

The AP-Yahoo News survey of 1,759 adults was conducted online by Knowledge Networks from June 13-23 and had an overall margin of sampling error of plus or minus 2.3 percentage points. The margin of sampling error for subgroups was larger.

Barbecuebility, guys!

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

edited July 2008
    Considering the almost ridiculous deference given to military service in this country, the fact that almost every president in the last 100 years has been in the military at least once, and the fact that you can still find a decent number of people that think it should be a requirement for the presidency, I'm going to say that your Obama example isn't the same as the McCain example.

So your problem is with widely-held public attitudes and beliefs rather than with McCain himself.

Partly. The other part of the problem is that the McCain campaign is bitch moaning, trying to make it seem like Gen. Clark's comments were out of bounds and that even asking a legitimate question about how his military experience relates to his ability to be president is "swift-boating". We can't fix the problems with public attitudes towards military service when McCain's getting in a hissy fit over this sort of thing.

wwtMask on
    edited July 2008
    I guess that's my question Cauld.. he's not really saying that.

I personally wouldn't have made such hay about it, but I guess on some level you have to respond if the issue or soundbyte sounds bad. Like, Obama had to respond to the Hussein thing because it sounded bad.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008

I admit, I might not be the brightest, especially when it comes to politics, but all these pronouns are confusing me. Who's "he" now?

Cauld on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Cauld wrote: »

I admit, I might not be the brightest, especially when it comes to politics, but all these pronouns are confusing me. Who's "he" now?

"I agree that they agree. But I don't think Clark's comment is an "a-HA! Take That!" moment, I think its more of a "He can't SAY that!" moment."

I think.

MKR on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I personally wouldn't have made such hay about it, but I guess on some level you have to respond if the issue or soundbyte sounds bad. Like, Obama had to respond to the Hussein thing because it sounded bad.

The McCain campaign is actually attacking Obama over this, though, saying that he has literally condoned smear attacks.

That goes beyond responding out of obligation to attempting to make this the kind of issue that decides votes.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Or because it feeds into a common misconception that he isnt a Christian.

I'm not aware of any common misconception that McCain's service record is something he is trying to keep under wraps or should be ashamed of.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't know why I did it, but I checked out the Crosswalk forums regarding election stuff.

I suggest you all don't make the same mistake.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

Considering the almost ridiculous deference given to military service in this country, the fact that almost every president in the last 100 years has been in the military at least once, and the fact that you can still find a decent number of people that think it should be a requirement for the presidency, I'm going to say that your Obama example isn't the same as the McCain example. There is clearly an implication of authority on military matters when you mention military service (and combat experience in particular) the way McCain does, whereas the mention of Obama's family is an implication that he's a regular guy.

That fact is much less interesting when you realize how many people served in WW2, Korea, and Vietnam. Having a draft during a large war is going to result in a large percentage of the male population with military experience.

We're finally getting far enough from the drafts that military background is actually becoming more rare. Carter, Reagan, and Clinton never served in the military. Before them, you have to go back to FDR (prior to WW2) to find a President who didn't wasn't under arms.

Edit: My mistake; Carter and Reagan were in the military, but never saw combat (as is also true for Bush II).

Hedgethorn on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Gotta vote for Kathy again.
    Kansas pride yo.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    MKR wrote: »

"I agree that they agree. But I don't think Clark's comment is an "a-HA! Take That!" moment, I think its more of a "He can't SAY that!" moment."

I think.

Lol. I'm not confused by my use of "he". I did mean Clark. I'm confused by Deacon's reply, which I bolded.

Cauld on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Trying to clear up confusion before noon was probably not the best of ideas.

MKR on
    edited July 2008
    Haha sorry... I thought you meant McCain.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    edited July 2008
    Haha sorry... I thought you meant McCain.

Ahhh.... I feel better knowing that we were equally confused and that MKR actually helped to clear things up :lol:

Cauld on
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Okay, so I was running some errands and I had an unholy craving for McDonald's sausage biscuit, so I stopped in to clog my arteries while I waited for the bank to open up.

There were two older men, probably 60 or so, sitting there gloating over getting articles published in local magazines. I ignored them for the most part, though the bit where they started talking about "Jewish words" irritated me. It's yiddish, you schmucks!

Anyway, as I was finishing up, I heard this conversation:

STATLER: So, are you going to the Republican convention?
    WALDORF: Oh, nah.
    S: You know, when Hillary dropped out, I donated to McCain.
    W: Yeah?
    S: Yeah, I thought about this Obama, and I just couldn't vote for him.
    W: He seems like a nice guy.
    S: That's just it, he seems like a nice guy, but nice guys finish last!
    W: Well, that's true.
    S: The Muslim thing doesn't help. What really killed him, though, was his wife. She's out there ranting about "whitey" and black liberation theology...

At this point I'd had enough. The bank was open, I was finished with my second biscuit, I walked past them.

DRAC: The "whitey" thing was a hoax.
    WALDORF: Oh, fuck it.
    STATLER: What did he just say?

Then I left. I didn't have the time nor the inclination to straighten these two boomers out. The really offensive thing is that Statler had decided that Obama had already lost. I live in possibly the most pro-Obama neighborhood of the metro area outside of the universities, but still some boomers resist...

Dracomicron on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Bitstream wrote: »
    [Edit] - I switched my vote from Richardson in the last round to Sebelius in this one. For some stupid reason I can't put my finger on, I reallly like Bill Richardson even though I disagree with him on several big points. I wish I knew what it was so I could purge it from my brain and embrace the cold unfeeling logic that tells me I agree with Sebelius more.
    The goatee. Mystery solved.

SithDrummer on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

They agree.

I agree that they agree. But I don't think Clark's comment is an "a-HA! Take That!" moment, I think its more of a "He can't SAY that!" moment.
    I wouldn't even go that far. It wasn't either of those - it was "What the hell is wrong with you, Scheiffer - why should being shot down be a boon for a presidential candidate?", and it was directed specifically at that dumb fucker giving the interview.

SithDrummer on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Okay, so I was running some errands and I had an unholy craving for McDonald's sausage biscuit, so I stopped in to clog my arteries while I waited for the bank to open up.

There were two older men, probably 60 or so, sitting there gloating over getting articles published in local magazines. I ignored them for the most part, though the bit where they started talking about "Jewish words" irritated me. It's yiddish, you schmucks!

Anyway, as I was finishing up, I heard this conversation:

STATLER: So, are you going to the Republican convention?
    WALDORF: Oh, nah.
    S: You know, when Hillary dropped out, I donated to McCain.
    W: Yeah?
    S: Yeah, I thought about this Obama, and I just couldn't vote for him.
    W: He seems like a nice guy.
    S: That's just it, he seems like a nice guy, but nice guys finish last!
    W: Well, that's true.
    S: The Muslim thing doesn't help. What really killed him, though, was his wife. She's out there ranting about "whitey" and black liberation theology...

At this point I'd had enough. The bank was open, I was finished with my second biscuit, I walked past them.

DRAC: The "whitey" thing was a hoax.
    WALDORF: Oh, fuck it.
    STATLER: What did he just say?

Then I left. I didn't have the time nor the inclination to straighten these two boomers out. The really offensive thing is that Statler had decided that Obama had already lost. I live in possibly the most pro-Obama neighborhood of the metro area outside of the universities, but still some boomers resist...

Statler_Waldorf.jpg

"Y'know, I hear this is campaign is a really moving experience."
    "Yeah, I wish they'd move it to Pittsburg."
    "OH Hohohohohohohohoho!"

Tach on
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

McCain says it doesn't qualify him to be president.

Clark says it doesn't qualify him to be president.

McCain spends now his fourth day running calling Clark out for smearing his military record.

There's responding, and there's deliberately trying to create a campaign killing mistake out of thin air.

kildy on
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Tach wrote: »

Statler_Waldorf.jpg

"Y'know, I hear this is campaign is a really moving experience."
    "Yeah, I wish they'd move it to Pittsburg."
    "OH Hohohohohohohohoho!"

Essentially, yes.:lol:

Dracomicron on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wow that McCain = Leonidas thing was really dumb.
    I dunno, maybe it's just because I didn't like 300 that much.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2008
    5) McCainophiles are really scared of people getting the main idea of Clark's statement in their heads.

On NRO there are something like 13 hojillion references to Clark's comment, but - curiously - not a single posting of, or link to, the actual transcript. Funny, that. Also curious, my emails to three separate people pointing out the context have been completely ignored. Must've been eaten by their spam filters or something.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008

Green screen challenge?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

McCain is about to be slaughtered by an overwhelmingly large number of people after several Pyrrhic victories delaying the inevitable?

moniker on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008

I thought 300 was fantastic. That article was still fucking stupid.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2008
    080702Hispanics1_j0n4b1.gif

Mmmmmm.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2008
    bush%20fist%20bump.jpg

Terrorists!

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    moniker wrote: »

McCain is about to be slaughtered by an overwhelmingly large number of people after several Pyrrhic victories delaying the inevitable?

He also likes to kill babies because they aren't up to his standards. I don't think the gays love McCain though. Now young McCain. :winky:

Couscous on
  • ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »

oh man i hope someone asks him again and he just freaks the fuck out and starts yelling and swearing

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
This discussion has been closed.