As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Good games for 20$ or under

2»

• FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I know it's been said before, but jesus christ.

GOD HAND!

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Na naaaa... Na na na na na na, na na na na na naaaaaaa.... Na naaa... Na na na na na na, na KATAMARI DAMASHIIII!

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Kainy wrote: »
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I see people here that loved BOF: Dragon Quarter all the time, but I fucking HATED it. Ryu could talk after being a silent protagonist for four games, but they forgot to give him personality, Nina was silent now fulfilling the silent shy girl with a mysterious past cliche, and Lyn was just sorta... there. I thought the design was terrible and same-y, using the same atmosphere for the entirety of the game that I played (yay underground tunnels!). The gameplay during battles, reliance on items, and music were just fine, but I felt as if the game was encouraging me to restart the game entirely several times so that I could roll over the XP and level properly. It felt more like a dungeon crawler to me than an actual story-driven JRPG. Great if that's what you were expecting or if you like dungeon crawlers, but it wasn't for me.

I've said this a few times, but no one listens to me. Usually, I'm shouted down. I really disliked that game.

No, you're completely justified - I'm in love with the combat system. The restarting system and samey dungeons were bad, but I liked the fighting so much I dealt with it. The way the Dragon power worked was stellar as well.

Anyone considering playing it should realize that it's basically an SRPG / Survival Horror (minus the horror) crossover.

Delzhand on
  • koonchukoonchu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Someone already mentioned this. I thought about it and figured it bears a second whoop. Persona 3 is worth getting in any way shape or form.

koonchu on
  • WIckedkarmaWIckedkarma AustinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Freedom force and expansion ( Freedom Force vs The Third Reich )I picked up both in a box set for 15 bucks.

Some of the best monies I have ever spent =)

Dawn of war you can get on steam for like 19.99

WIckedkarma on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    there are a truly staggering number of excellent ps2 games to be had for $20 or less. largely depends on what you personally are into as to what i would recommend, but without that info heres a generic list

Gradius V
    Castle Of Shikigami 2
    Raiden 3
    Wizardry: The Forsaken Land
    Sly Cooper 1
    Ratchet and Clank 2, 3
    Final Fantasy X, XII
    Katamari Damacy, We <3 Katamari
    Disgaea 2 (probably more like $25 but yknow)
    Metal Slug Anthology
    Devil May Cry 3 special edition
    Hitman Blood Money
    Metal Gear Solid 2, 3
    Beyond Good And Evil
    Dark Cloud 2
    Burnout 3
    Maximo 1, 2
    Bombastic
    Guilty Gear X2
    Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
    Space Channel 5 Special Edition
    Ico
    Shadow Of The Colossus
    Resident Evil 4
    Growlanser Generations
    Fire Pro Wrestling Returns

Ah_Pook on
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    No one mentioned Odin Sphere /cry Fantastic 2d art.

The Metal Gear and Devil May Cry 3packs IMO are the greatest value out there though. $30 retail sometimes cheaper for 3 classics.

On the PC side of things if you missed Company of Heroes it can be had for cheap now (including a pack with the expansion).

powersurge on
  • Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Freedom force and expansion ( Freedom Force vs The Third Reich )I picked up both in a box set for 15 bucks.

Some of the best monies I have ever spent =)

Dawn of war you can get on steam for like 19.99

Oh man I loved that game. I lent it to a friend and the bastard never gave it back.

>: (.....

Anyway, I picked up Medal Of Honor: Pacific Assault, Project Snowblind, and Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2. Snowblind for the PS2, PC for the others.

3/4's of the stuff listed I couldn't find. They also had no memory cards for the PSX so I could actually play my copy of FF7.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Spiffy MageSpiffy Mage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zone of the Enders & ZoE2
    The Homeworld Series
    Age of Empires 2
    StarCraft
    Diablo 2
    Star Wars: Empire at War
    C&C: The first Decade
    Supreme Commander
    Star Wars: Republic Commando

Spiffy Mage on
  • jakonovskijakonovski Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Crysis
    Hellgate: London

jakonovski on
    edited July 2008
    jakonovski wrote: »
    Crysis

Crysis is 40$ still

And I've never played a game I like enough to pay to play to play it monthly.

They should make a sequel to republic commando..

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man, I've got so many of these PS2 games. Hell, I'd be inclined to lend them out, it's not like I play them...

Delzhand on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Battle for Wesnoth is free, and we even had a lengthy thread about it here for some time.

citizen059 on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    the ratchet and clank games are all awesome. there are at least four of them for ps2-- the original ratchet and clank, going commando, up your arsenal and ratchet deadlocked. Honestly, I prefer the first three. I think up your arsenal is the best. Deadlocked is good, but the single player is pretty weak and I don't even know if anyone still plays the multiplayer.

There was also at least one psp ratchet and clank game that was ported to ps2, I think.

DouglasDanger on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    some PS2 Greatest Hits games:

Ace Combat 4
    Ace Combat 5
    Amplitude
    Bully
    Burnout 3
    Devil May Cry
    Devil May Cry 3
    Dragon Quest VIII
    Final Fantasy X
    Final Fantasy XII
    God of War
    God of War II
    Gran Turismo 3
    Gran Turismo 4
    Grand Theft Auto 3
    Grand Theft Auto Vice City
    Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
    Hot Shots Golf 3
    Hot Shots Golf 4
    Ico
    Jak & Daxter
    Jak II
    Jak 3
    Kingdom Hearts
    Kingdom Hearts 2
    Lego Star Wars 1 and 2
    Metal Gear Solid 2
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    Onimusha
    Onimusha 2
    Prince of Persia Sands of Time
    Prince of Persia Warrior Within
    Prince of Persia Two Thrones
    Ratchet and Clank
    Ratchet and Clank Going Commando
    Ratchet and Clank Up your Arsenal
    Resident Evil 4
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Sly Cooper
    Sly 2 Band of Theives
    Sly 3 Honor Among Thieves
    SOCOM
    SOCOM II
    SOCOM III
    Sonic Mega Collection Plus
    Soul Calibur II
    Soul Calibur III
    SSX 3
    Tekken Tag
    Tekken 5
    TimeSplitters 2
    Virtua Fighter 4 Evo
    The Warriors
    X Men Legends
    X Men Legends II
    Xenosaga

Those are just some good picks out of the Greatest Hits, $20 catalog

There are tons of more games that are $20 that didn't hit Greatest Hits status, though, but I cannot think of them. Besides a few.

Like Gradius V, which is amazing.

And a lot of 2D fighters.

slash000 on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Katamari Damacy started out at $20 new, and you might be able to get We <3 Katamari for that cheap now as well.

jothki on
    edited July 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    some PS2 Greatest Hits games:

Burnout 3

Devil May Cry 3

Final Fantasy X
    Final Fantasy XII
    God of War
    God of War II

Grand Theft Auto 3
    Grand Theft Auto Vice City

Jak & Daxter
    Jak II
    Jak 3
    Kingdom Hearts
    Kingdom Hearts 2
    Lego Star Wars 1 and 2
    Metal Gear Solid 2
    Metal Gear Solid 3

Onimusha 2
    Prince of Persia Sands of Time
    Prince of Persia Warrior Within
    Prince of Persia Two Thrones
    Ratchet and Clank
    Ratchet and Clank Going Commando
    Ratchet and Clank Up your Arsenal
    Resident Evil 4
    Shadow of the Colossus

Sly 2 Band of Theives
    Sly 3 Honor Among Thieves

Soul Calibur II
    Soul Calibur III

TimeSplitters 2

Xenosaga

Those are just some good picks out of the Greatest Hits, $20 catalog

There are tons of more games that are $20 that didn't hit Greatest Hits status, though, but I cannot think of them. Besides a few.

Like Gradius V, which is amazing.

And a lot of 2D fighters.

The following that are still listed I own or plan on purchasing thanks to the reminder of their exesistance.

Also, I might make a list on the OP For anyone else who is a poor-ass gamer.

Toxin01 on
  • minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Darwinia, Uplink, DEFCON.

I am at the point in Uplink where I can avoid getting caught, and at the point where Darwinia turns into an actual RTS.

minigunwielder on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Darwinia, Uplink, DEFCON.

I am at the point in Uplink where I can avoid getting caught, and at the point where Darwinia turns into an actual RTS.

I'll see your Darwinia and raise you one MULTIWINIA! When it comes out, that is. *glances at NDA*

Frem on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's not a PC or PS2 game, but Buffy the Vampire Slayer for the XBox is a fantastic brawler and it's a mere $4 at Gamestop. I've been replaying the game on my 360 recently and it's just as good as I remember it being 2 years ago when I first played it. I know what you're thinking - it's a licensed game so it can't be any good - but it has great control, lots of cool moves, plenty of weapons (gotta love whacking someone in the face with a shovel), well designed levels, and very fun visceral combat. It also had some really neat ideas like the fact that most enemies can only be defeated with appropriate finishing moves (for vampires, that would be stuff like decapitation, pierce the heart with a wooden object, fire, and sunlight) and the less health they have, the easier it is to perform said finishers on them (if you're skilled & a little lucky, you can kill some enemies when they have full life). Although the graphics aren't anything amazing by today's standards, the game looks plenty cinematic when you're on a roll. And hey what other game lets you throw a vampire right into the path of an oncoming train?

However, if you do decide to pick this game up, make sure that it's just plain old Buffy the Vampire Slayer for the original XBox. There was a sequel called Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds that was done by a different group and it's really bad.

RainbowDespair on
  • YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you do not already own The Warriors then you are a bad person. It should be $20 by now on PS2 and Xbox and it launched at $20 on the PSP. The best beat-em-up in years and one of the best games from the last generation in general. Sadly, it's not BC on the 360. Seriously, pick it up. I've bought it twice. Bought it new on the PS2 and rebought it for the PSP. It's that good.

YardGnome on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's not a PC or PS2 game, but Buffy the Vampire Slayer for the XBox is a fantastic brawler and it's a mere $4 at Gamestop. I've been replaying the game on my 360 recently and it's just as good as I remember it being 2 years ago when I first played it. I know what you're thinking - it's a licensed game so it can't be any good - but it has great control, lots of cool moves, plenty of weapons (gotta love whacking someone in the face with a shovel), well designed levels, and very fun visceral combat. It also had some really neat ideas like the fact that most enemies can only be defeated with appropriate finishing moves (for vampires, that would be stuff like decapitation, pierce the heart with a wooden object, fire, and sunlight) and the less health they have, the easier it is to perform said finishers on them (if you're skilled & a little lucky, you can kill some enemies when they have full life). Although the graphics aren't anything amazing by today's standards, the game looks plenty cinematic when you're on a roll. And hey what other game lets you throw a vampire right into the path of an oncoming train?

However, if you do decide to pick this game up, make sure that it's just plain old Buffy the Vampire Slayer for the original XBox. There was a sequel called Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds that was done by a different group and it's really bad.

Man I had a friend who loved that game...I always assumed he road both sides of the fence, but I guess maybe I was wrong

Also Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries needs to be played by everyone. It is an amazing mech sim game. Just don't get the vengeance one its not as good. Seriosuly I'm replaying it now and it's still amazing. Better yet I've found a mod which gives you some highrez textures as well as a bunch of other mechs! woot.
    I'm sad that number 5 was canned but at least some other company picked up the IP for it so we may see a new one soon.

EDIT: I wanted to do a lets play of the game but yeah...I don't really have a good reason for why I didn't

Dixon on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    YardGnome wrote: »
    If you do not already own The Warriors then you are a bad person. It should be $20 by now on PS2 and Xbox and it launched at $20 on the PSP. The best beat-em-up in years and one of the best games from the last generation in general. Sadly, it's not BC on the 360. Seriously, pick it up. I've bought it twice. Bought it new on the PS2 and rebought it for the PSP. It's that good.

that is the next ps2 game I am getting, whenever games fit in my budget again. I really want to get the movie at some point too. (I've never seen it)

DouglasDanger on
  • YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    YardGnome wrote: »

that is the next ps2 game I am getting, whenever games fit in my budget again. I really want to get the movie at some point too. (I've never seen it)
    The movie is excellent as well. One of the great things about the game is it gives a lot of back story. In fact, only about the last 4th of the mission are based on the movie. The rest are about things that happened a couple of months before the movie. It really helps to flesh out the characters and the story. Plus there is a set of flashback missions that you unlock as you go through the game that shows how The Warriors was founded and how the most prominent members joined.

YardGnome on
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Faffel wrote: »
    I know it's been said before, but jesus christ.

GOD HAND!

which is impossible to find outside of eBay.

Unless you wanna give me your copy :)

EskimoDave on
  • Bob SappBob Sapp Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just beat Yakuza for PS2 and loved it. It's what Shen Mue should have been, IMO. Think Shen Mue with more focus, a story that completes, and a more streamlined fighting system. Got it for $18 new off an Amazon seller.

Bob Sapp on
    fizzatar.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Bob Sapp wrote: »
    Just beat Yakuza for PS2 and loved it. It's what Shen Mue should have been, IMO. Think Shen Mue with more focus, a story that completes, and a more streamlined fighting system. Got it for $18 new off an Amazon seller.

The second one is coming out here this year, believe it or not.

DarkPrimus on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    jakonovski wrote: »
    Crysis

Crysis is 40$ still

And I've never played a game I like enough to pay to play to play it monthly.

They should make a sequel to republic commando..

The paid monthly membership for Hellgate is 100 percent optional.

Has Civ IV been mentioned yet? If it has, I'm mentioning it again, because the value for 20 dollars is absurd.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Na naaaa... Na na na na na na, na na na na na naaaaaaa.... Na naaa... Na na na na na na, na KATAMARI DAMASHIIII!

I was coming in here to say the exact same thing.

Also I'm pretty sure I didn't see any mention of Myth II. You need Myth II.

Masonite on
  • Bob SappBob Sapp Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Bob Sapp wrote: »

The second one is coming out here this year, believe it or not.

Yeah the thread here on the sequel is what convinced me to buy the first one. Can't wait for the next one.

Bob Sapp on
    fizzatar.jpg