As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How much better is this card for me?

cemetery mancemetery man Registered User regular
RADEON HD4850 512MB GDDR3

I currently have a radeon x1950pro.

I'm hoping for something to let me run AoC better and have some future proofness on a budget.

Thank you for any feedback.

cemetery man on

• Options
    .kbf?.kbf? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That card is infinitely better then the one you have. ATI really got a winner with these cards.

.kbf? on
  • Options
    cemetery mancemetery man Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    nice, I'm probably going to grab this one today at BB since I have certificates.

cemetery man on
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    No, the 4850 is infinitely better than an x1650.

Which is what I have.

It is only a billion times better than a x1950.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    No, the 4850 is infinitely better than an x1650.

Which is what I have.

It is only a billion times better than a x1950.

I tend to exaggerate.

.kbf? on
  • Options
    adamadam Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You might just need ram. WoW is the same way it gets alot better once you get enought ram.

adam on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Make sure you have a PCI-e motherboard, as the 4850 is PCI-e.

I warn you because I have an AGP x1950 Pro, and thus an AGP board, which don't work with PCI-e cards.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The 4850 also requires a 6 pin pci-e power supply connector. I had to upgrade my PS before buying a 4850 myself

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    nice, I'm probably going to grab this one today at BB since I have certificates.

Careful, BB sometimes likes to rip people off on graphics cards. Don't spend more than two hundred dollars; that's the MSRP (and what you can get it for on Newegg).

edit:
    UncleChet wrote: »
    The 4850 also requires a 6 pin pci-e power supply connector. I had to upgrade my PS before buying a 4850 myself

Doesn't the X1950Pro need one too?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

Careful, BB sometimes likes to rip people off on graphics cards. Don't spend more than two hundred dollars; that's the MSRP (and what you can get it for on Newegg).

edit:

My X1650 uses a floppy power plug. But it's AGP.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

edit:

Yeah, AGP cards aren't allowed to use the new fancy power connectors, or something.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

edit:

Huh, you'd think they'd just use a molex plug instead.

On a side note that card is really tempting, looking on ebuyer it's about £130. I currently have a 512MB X1900XTX.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

edit:

Yeah, AGP cards aren't allowed to use the new fancy power connectors, or something.
    Picture pwnage at 9pm, prepare!

1ddqd on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I had a look at prices for quad core processors, 4GB RAM etc earlier today after my post.. some of those prices are stupidly tempting.

My current system:

DFI Lanparty SLI-D
    Athlon X2 64 4800+ (Socket 939)
    2GB RAM (DDR 400, 2x 1GB dual channel)
    Sapphire 512MB X1900XTX

It's currently dual boot with XP and Vista.

Should I fall to temptation and get a new system?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You can build a quad core gaming machine for under $1000 and it will still be 2x your current rig. Go for it, I did and haven't looked back!

1ddqd on
  • Options
    imperial6imperial6 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Personally I'd pop a 4850 in there rather than upgrade the whole system...you'll still see a huge improvement, and it's only $200. I assume that pc of yours is primarily for gaming, so going quad-core now isn't going to make much of a difference.

imperial6 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    imperial6 wrote: »
    Personally I'd pop a 4850 in there rather than upgrade the whole system...you'll still see a huge improvement, and it's only $200. I assume that pc of yours is primarily for gaming, so going quad-core now isn't going to make much of a difference.

Yeah, you're right really. How many games are there that really tax the processor nowadays?

I think Alan Wake is meant to be like that or something. But even my Athlon should be able to handle that.

Think I may just go for the card then.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    GrimReaper wrote: »

Yeah, you're right really. How many games are there that really tax the processor nowadays?

I think Alan Wake is meant to be like that or something. But even my Athlon should be able to handle that.

Anything Source based is incredibly processor dependent.

3.0 vs 3.6 ghz yielded a good 60 fps difference for me

.kbf? on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    .kbf? wrote: »
    GrimReaper wrote: »

Anything Source based is incredibly processor dependent.

3.0 vs 3.6 ghz yielded a good 60 fps difference for me

Yeah, but what source games don't run above 60 fps though? An extra 60 isn't going to change much. Hell, Episode 2 runs very nicely on my current system maxed out.

I'm now mulling a 4870. This one to be specific, £153 is very tempting.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    £179.94inc vat

I was gonna say "fuuuuuuuuuuuck" since I bought an 8800GT for £150 about 3 weeks ago, but this is pretty damn decent price anyways :x

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Airan wrote: »
    £179.94inc vat

I was gonna say "fuuuuuuuuuuuck" since I bought an 8800GT for £150 about 3 weeks ago, but this is pretty damn decent price anyways :x

Yes, erm... *cough* I can get that card for £150... :)

EDIT: £153.14 to be precise.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    £179.94inc vat

Its always a good idea to wait and put your ear to the ground via sites like anandtech.com And other tech news sites. 8800gt's are solid though its no 4850 or 4870 though. The 4870 seems very tempting to upgrade this 8800gts-320 But eh, its fine enough for now.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    To be fair, I haven't given a toss to AMD/ATi in yonks thanks to its lackluster performance over the past 1-2 card generations. I had tunnel vision for the 8800GT after deciding £200 was bit much to splurge on a 512mb GTS, also taking into consideration power consumption, noise and heat. What is it with ther large cards' stock coolers and their plastic covers? Are they trying to force airflow through the to the exit vents, cause they don't seem to do a particularly good job of it.

I still hate Grim for not having to pay VAT :x

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    To be fair, I haven't given a toss to AMD/ATi in yonks thanks to its lackluster performance over the past 1-2 card generations. I had tunnel vision for the 8800GT after deciding £200 was bit much to splurge on a 512mb GTS, also taking into consideration power consumption, noise and heat. What is it with ther large cards' stock coolers and their plastic covers? Are they trying to force airflow through the to the exit vents, cause they don't seem to do a particularly good job of it.

I still hate Grim for not having to pay VAT :x

Look at it this way, it's still probably more expensive than what the Americans are paying for it.

I managed to get the price down to £150.60, free delivery too. I have the contacts. :)

And it's ordered!

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    hu2dzo5.jpg

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    hu2dzo5.jpg

orderstatus.png

Want a photo of the card when it arrives Airan?

Huh, that's funny. I've got a nose bleed...

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Wait, waaait

My 8800GT was actually £128. I bought something else that bumped it up to £150~.

I still don't like the fact you managed to cut the price down even after ex. VAT, goddamn :x

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Wait, waaait

My 8800GT was actually £128. I bought something else that bumped it up to £150~.

I still don't like the fact you managed to cut the price down even after ex. VAT, goddamn :x

Got a business account with ebuyer, I can just ring up the account handler and say "can you drop the price down for this" and it's "okay dude". Company I work for does in the region of £10-20k business a year with ebuyer and it's me doing the purchasing. The great thing is that it also means free next day delivery on everything from them.

The more we spend on something the more we can get off the price.

If you ever have a job where you are in charge of IT purchasing Airan I highly recommend doing such evil things.. ;-)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I thought you'd be using a business account.

Anyway, I'd like to hear about the noise level and heat once you get it, like whether the side of your case gets really hot or not. I'm not liking the stock HSF setup to be honest, if it's like the last generation of coolers it'll probably suck really hard.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I thought you'd be using a business account.

Anyway, I'd like to hear about the noise level and heat once you get it, like whether the side of your case gets really hot or not. I'm not liking the stock HSF setup to be honest, if it's like the last generation of coolers it'll probably suck really hard.

I'd just like to add "oh snap". The 4870 just got delivered. :)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So, i've been playing a bit with my shiny new 4870. A couple of observations:
    • The sound of the fan seems to be about the same as my X1900XTX.
    • The card length itself is the same as the X1900XTX but the heatsink/fan is larger in length and almost totally covers the little fan on my motherboard.
    • Games run faster and look much prettier now. (as an example running Crysis at 1680x1050 at high is perfectly smooth)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Good to hear. I ordered a whole new PC and everything comes on Monday, including my 4870.

Daemonion on