As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shadowrun, where man meets machine and magic

2»

• Options
    TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That's because you have no taste.

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    I just don't like mixing my magic and my tech. I realize Shadowrun has a huge following, it just isn't my cup of tea.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cyberpunk is okay, but I don't care for the dice mechanic

At least in that respect, you must admit that Shadowrun is superior

gurusloth on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    I am not so sure I agree. If memory serves, Shadowrun uses a system where you need to roll d6s versus target numbers, with more d6s representing better chance of passing the check?

Edit: Sort of like White Wolf uses d10s, right?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Sort of. Which edition are we talking about?

Theidar on
    Facebook
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    4th Edition Shadowrun only fails because there is fuck all for content. As a system it is 100 times more smooth than 3rd.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Belruel wrote: »
    Knob wrote: »
    4th edition shadowrun is for faggots, seditionists, and 12 year old girls

i am in your butt right now.
    you cast magic mustache

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    I'll just watch because I had enough of a time trying to set up my d20 character for the game that never got going

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    4th Edition Shadowrun only fails because there is fuck all for content. As a system it is 100 times more smooth than 3rd.
    Man, fanpro really fucked up on that one.

But didn't the license move again recently?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Man, fanpro really fucked up on that one.

But didn't the license move again recently?
    Yeah but after the entire fiasco I haven't even been trying really hard to keep up. If in a couple of years I feel the Shadowrun itch again I'll check it out and see if there has been improvement. If not, then it'll just be back to 3rd. That edition has some seriously retarded stuff in it, but the lore is rock solid and if you can think of a cool futuristic weapon then FASA probably already did and it's in a 3rd edition book.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Catalyst Games Lab is the publisher now.

They are back on track with publishing sourcebooks.

However,I really miss the old damage system from 3rd edition.
    Also initiative.
    Plus they got rid of almost all the gameplay differences between mages and shamans, which kinda sucks.

Theidar on
    Facebook
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah I wasn't keen on that. Also how cybermancers are just mages in the webs. (Although this is only from the corebook)

But 3rd's damage system sucks. I know you say it's easy Theidar, but having played 3rd for years now, on and off I can safely say it was clunky and unnecessary. Plus it got a little ridiculous if you rolled well enough and the DM rolled poorly enough.

Initiative was fun though.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Theidar wrote: »
    Sort of. Which edition are we talking about?

Don't know. Since it was aspects of the game world that turned me off to the game rather than the game mechanics, I just sort of skimmed the whole thing back int he day and moved on.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Okay less talk about game mechanics between editions.

More talk about PCs for the game.

Anyone else interested in joining just PM me, I'll keep sign ups open til we start playing or we hit six players.

Theidar on
    Facebook
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    StraythStrayth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Last I played was 2e and one thing I loved was the setting. It was a neat story, with the walking Native American that coulda been the return of Christ, and all those other accounts of the magic return.

Strayth on
    That's right.
  • Options
    Seta 3000Seta 3000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd play, but I don't know about making character sheets and shit so I never get in on this kind of thing

Seta 3000 on
  • Options
    Seta 3000Seta 3000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    to me it feels like it'd be so much more friendly if there were like, a default make-up for every class in these kind of games

"I want to be a run of the mill physical adept"

"Here you go, kid"

Seta 3000 on
  • Options
    StraythStrayth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Seta 3000 wrote: »
    to me it feels like it'd be so much more friendly if there were like, a default make-up for every class in these kind of games

"I want to be a run of the mill physical adept"

"Here you go, kid"

Is there not an online community? Two of my last 3.5 D&D group members used the WotC boards to basically pick a character if they didn't feel like building one. As a kid I used to sit around making characters for AD&D and Shadowrun when I was bored, there's gotta be someone who does that and posts onrine.

Ah damnit now I'm reading up on the setting again. (Howling Coyote that was the guy.) This game was totally worth it on the setting alone, never mind the possibilities of genres and style.

e: anyone else think The Matrix was about Shadowrun for a while during the commercials?

Strayth on
    That's right.
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man, half the fun of shadowrun is making your character into something unique and awesome though.

Also, 2nd edition for life. even though i haven't played in years and years. 2e will always hold a special place in my heart.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The book has archetypes that are premade characters, but the customization is a strong point of the game.

I can help people make dudes, or even make dudes for them.
    You want the Hidden Cyberware flaw right?

But to have a well rounded team you need to cover the following roles:
    1. Spell-slinger/Spell Defense
    2. Conjuring/Banishing
    3. Astral Fuckery
    4. Decking
    5. Rigging/Driving
    6. Diplomacy/Negotiations
    7. Melee combat
    8. Ranged Combat

Fortunately, a starting PC can cover several of those categories, and its not completely necessary to cover everyone.

For instance a full mage covers 1-3 and could take a little bit of a 4th category.
    A street sam can usually take 7&8.
    A decker can usually take a second category or double as a rigger.(Gets expensive to do both though.)
    Really any combo is possible.

Theidar on
    Facebook
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man, I usually enjoy making characters but when it gets to the point where you're buying equipment and dealing with cybernetics and their attachments, my brain pretty much freezes up.

That said, I did enjoy unintentionally making Motoko Kusanagi the last time I did this.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Easy solution: play a physical adept or mage.

Better solutions: use a character creator to keep track of cash and essence for you.

Theidar on
    Facebook
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    That's pretty much what I did, anyway.

It's just amusing that buying equipment can be so much more complex than character creation proper.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Welcome to Shadowrun!

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So uhh, what are other people in this thinking of playing?

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Straightzi wrote: »
    So uhh, what are other people in this thinking of playing?

If for some reason I got to play, I'd probably go with a Heremetic Magician.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Assuming you end up running on a day I can play, I would probably be down for this.

I'd probably run either a gun-bunny adept or a ork street samurai

[EDIT] Also, I only have 3rd ed books, I'd have to bum 4th ed off of a friend or buy it if that's what we end up playing.

gurusloth on