As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Blizzard Authenticator--two-factor security for an MMO

2»

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    TheEmerged wrote: »
    Source
    Our U.S. online store is currently sold out of the Blizzard Authenticators, and we're working on obtaining additional stock. Please note that due to the nature of the technology in the device and the related manufacturing procedures, it will be several weeks before they're available again. We're working hard to expedite this process as much as possible.
    We're also aware that non-U.S.-based players on our North American realms were unable to purchase the Blizzard Authenticator from the online store when it was available. This was due to shipping-related issues with our store for this device that could not be resolved by the time it first went on sale. Rather than delay the launch, we felt it was important to make the Authenticator available to as many people as possible as quickly as we could. We're continuing to work on a solution for these players and will provide an update as further progress is made.
    The Authenticator helps safeguard account access against third-party programs, such as keyloggers, Trojans, and viruses, that are designed to steal players’ login information. This type of malicious code is often hidden in add-ons/mods and web pages and goes undetected until an account has been compromised and a thief has sold off the valuable items from the characters on that account for gold, which is then sold back to players by the third-party companies benefitting from this practice.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/basics/antigold.html

We appreciate that so many players are opting for the additional layer of security that the Authenticator provides -- playing World of Warcraft is that much more fun when you’re able to do things outside of the game, such as visit websites, with less of a worry that someone out there will be able to get access to all of your login information as a result. To learn more about how to protect yourself from people trying to steal your account name and password, please see the sticky post dedicated to this topic in our Customer Service forum.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=1778038509&sid=1

:lol:

I wonder how many people are just buying it for "OMG Blizzard keychain!" :)

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ok, so this is just a number generator on a key chain right? I mean, there's no actual link between the dongle and your computer, except that the client knows the specific algorithm whatevers that the keychain will produce... so what is to stop someone from using their own dongle to get into your account if they know your password?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Figgy wrote: »
    Ok, so this is just a number generator on a key chain right? I mean, there's no actual link between the dongle and your computer, except that the client knows the specific algorithm whatevers that the keychain will produce... so what is to stop someone from using their own dongle to get into your account if they know your password?

Because their dongle and your dongle have a different seed to generate those numbers. Blizzard knows what to expect from a certain serial numbered fob. So a different fob will generate a different number.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I wonder how many people are just buying it for "OMG Blizzard keychain!" :)
    I totally intend on doing so. Might even use it for security if the system turns out to work well.

815165 on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    riz wrote: »
    This is all Blizzard's secret plan to stop people from account sharing. How am I supposed to log onto my friend's account to transmute a primal if I don't have his dongle??

:winky:
    Riz if you have a guys dongle you have all the primal mights you want.

Except mine.
    I payed for these, bitch.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Figgy wrote: »
    There is a link in that you need to put the dongle's code into your account managment page so your account knows what numbers it will generate.

Opty on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've already got an RSA token on my keychain for VPN at work - so I'll feel uber cool with two. Glad to see I'll be able to buy it after the restock.

This thread contains the most frequent use of the word "dongle" I've seen outside SE.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    Bewildered_RoninBewildered_Ronin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    If a chinese gold farmer is determined enough to literally break into my home to steal my dongel, then he deserves my account.

But yes hopefully blizzard will offer a "lowjack" option for your dongel, so you can track it down if it is stolen. With an "on-star" keychain addition you can contact someone immediately.

Does this have anything to do with King Missile's Detachable Penis?

Bewildered_Ronin on
    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
    Steam ID - BewilderedRonin
    {_,.~o-0=| She's Half |=0-o~.,_}
  • Options
    MorithainMorithain Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just when I thought the people over at the official WoW forums couldn't get any more retarded, there was a thread today that basically was about how the keychain was "Made in China" and using their brilliant deductions (as always) the people who responded said having this thing will only make your account more open to hacking and keyloggers; since these things are made in china which is ground zero for gold farmers and account hackers.

They also said Apple got its technology to make the iPhone from aliens and the moon landing was faked by the US government.

Morithain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Morithain wrote: »
    Just when I thought the people over at the official WoW forums couldn't get any more retarded, there was a thread today that basically was about how the keychain was "Made in China" and using their brilliant deductions (as always) the people who responded said having this thing will only make your account more open to hacking and keyloggers; since these things are made in china which is ground zero for gold farmers and account hackers.

They also said Apple got its technology to make the iPhone from aliens and the moon landing was faked by the US government.

In all fairness, there have been issues with hardware from China having malware:

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/11/12/maxtor_infected_hdd_updated/

But the poster in question really has no idea how these items work.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Looks like I'll be getting one these when it becomes available. Here's where 'get a brain' fails: when you're still trying to grow one. I have a new Macbook because I'm trying to expand my OS vocabulary (I also liked its construction). I have WoW on it for the few times I've been back to my parents' house and I want to check something. It doesn't have the same security suites as my PC, cuz hey, "macs don't get viruses lol."

But when I tried MacAce Updater, which appears to be a legit version of WoWAce Updater, so I could actually play my characters without messing with their action bars on the PC, something else must've gotten in. It was lovely to find my tauren looking back at me when I hit enter, royal blue guild tabard, fine white shirt... and no pants. Nor shoes, nor anything. Same with all the other characters, their banks, and our guild bank. The douchebags even got rid of the stuff they can't even sell, like my Midsummer outfit I had finished.

Normally, I do have a brain, but c'mon. I have a few characters, highest a 63 and a 67, and the 'guild' is just two of my friends who wanted a common space to put our crap. You don't think this shit happens to small fry like us. Additionally, I'm not 100% comfortable with everything my Macbook can do. It's a wake-up call, but I'm still getting the authenticator... whenever they can return everything to normal.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    So three more people in my guild got hacked recently. Two of them I don't know anything about their computer literacy, but the third one works on cell phones for Ericsson and is generally very computer-savvy. Was probably the flash vulnerability that got him, I very much doubt he'd get infected by a regular keylogger from malicious sites.

Echo on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    I doubt blizzard is making that much off these but is willing to break even on them so they can reduce the amount of hacked accounts. Some of these people have 1000's of dollars worth of items and play time on their account. 7 bucks is well worth it.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Not only that but I'm sure the cost in customer service man hours is incredibly expensive.

JAEF on