As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moment of the Week: 7/2/08

Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
edited July 2008 in Graphic Violence
Not a lot for me this week, but the end of Angel is a nice set-up
Holy fuckleberries it's about time we had a showdown between Angel and Gunn
Also ASM was good, even the part that Gale wrote. Well maybe "good" is too much for that part.
Let's say it falls somewhere between "not terrible" and "decent"

Me Too! on

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Something actually happened in Trinity this week. I wouldn't necessarily call it my moment of the week, but I would say that I was surprised that the plot actually moved forward, finally.

Lucascraft on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Batman was filled with some hard-hitting moments this issue
    The reveal that Bruce Wayne has been drugged up and is completely out of his mind was pretty substantial. And, of course, "I AM THE BATMAN OF ZUR-EN-ARRH!"

I also liked the "oh shit" moment in Secret Invasion: Front Line
    When the Skrull awakens in the hospital at the very end.

Haven't gotten around to reading Jonah Hex or Manhunter yet, but perhaps there's some good stuff there, too.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Whoa there
    Batman
    That's been going on for all of R.I.P? Or has it been going on even longer?

Me Too! on
    edited July 2008
    It just happened in this issue.
    Bruce Wayne was ambushed last issue by Dr. Hurt and his cronies, forcibly given hard drugs, and is now basically an amnesiac hobo that thinks he's Batman from another planet.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    Whoa there
    Batman
    That's been going on for all of R.I.P? Or has it been going on even longer?
    Technically we don't know how long this has been going on. Apparently Black Hand has programmed Batman with some response words or command words. "Zur En Arrh" seems to have triggered some sort of total mental breakdown in him, pre-drug induced haze.

Lucascraft on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Here's the "new" Batman. Sorry for the size, couldn't be bothered shrinking. Morrison needs to lay off the drugs.
    batman678mj7.jpg

KVW on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My reaction to that last page in Batman was somewhere between amusement and grave concern.

Lux on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh, Canada Day, truly you are a double-edged sword. You've provided a much-needed respite from work, but have also delayed the local comic shoppe's shipment.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited July 2008
    Joker's Asylum was just what
    In a good way

As was Powers vol 8

Me Too! on
    edited July 2008
    I haven't read my Joker's Asylum yet, but I flipped through it and the art is atrocious. D:

Glad to hear you think it's worth reading, though. I mean, I bought it so I'm planning to read it and stuff. But you know.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My moment of the week has to be finally taking the Howard the Duck trade (the early 2000's Gerber run) off my shelf and reading it. I must be the only person on the planet who loved the Howard the Duck movie, and I decided I owed it to myself to actually read some Howard stuff.

I'm glad I did, because I absolutely loved it, and I can't wait till my Howard Omnibus arrives!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    i watched the howard the duck movie for the first time not too long ago, and i don't think i'm out of line when i say that it was weird as shit.

also the scene where the blonde heroine tries to sex up our feathered hero creeped out every single person with whom i was watching.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Man, I wish I could get a copy of that movie... I suspect it's never ever going to make it onto DVD.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited July 2008
    the wiki page for the movie says that it was just released on dvd in germany, the uk and australia, so i suspect you might be able to track down a copy

edit- terrible theme song. "HOW-ARD...THA DUCK"

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    what the shit is going on with bat's cape.

Angry on
    edited July 2008
    OH. MY. GOD

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2008
    Manhunter is so goddang awesome. There is so much plot and character moments and oh-shits and it's so good

Garlic Bread on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, Manhunter manages to juggle a ton of subplots, and they're all interesting. Particularly anything with Dylan Battles or Mr. Bones. I kind of wish Jaime hadn't been shuffled offstage so quickly, but Kate's reasoning was sound enough, given that not many people are really aware of how much Jaime's accomplished during his superhero career.

Munch on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Virral wrote: »

So, we can blame this and the prequel trilogy on Lucas. Truly, he is history's greatest monster.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
    edited July 2008
    Virral wrote: »

just glad i could help ma'am

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ASM was actually pretty good.
    But the headline at the end was kind of obnoxious.
    Really, Dan? Did you HAVE to put "Internet complains about comic book" as a headline in the DB? What, did the waters calm down so you had to stir them up?

I'm not so much offended at what was written, but more that it was so blatant.

Of course, he followed up Bob Gales part of the story with a Back to the Future joke, so...

The Muffin Man on
  • frrserfrrser __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    nothing new for me

frrser on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Blue Beetle
    Hector's sweater turns from green on page 1 to red on page 2. Come onnnn.

Manhunter
    The racial identity crisis of a skeleton are very interesting.

Lux on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is it just me going time-blind or are we getting a lot of Angel lately?

TeaSpoon on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    KVW wrote: »
    Here's the "new" Batman. Sorry for the size, couldn't be bothered shrinking. Morrison needs to lay off the drugs.
    batman678mj7.jpg

That is the most ridiculous looking thing

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    KVW wrote: »
    batman678mj7.jpg

That is the most ridiculous looking thing

AND I LOVE IT!

Algertman on
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That is the most awesome looking thing

Fixed that for you.

Is it just me, or is Morrison's run on Batman seriously going south of Surreal?

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You know what would be fun? If the Joker is the one that saves the day in some way.

Fencingsax on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm not sure what I thought of Astonishing X-Men. It definitely wasn't bad and I do like the idea of the whole super-hero thing being their job. Also, Storm's reasons for being back on the team were kind of cool and I liked the play between her and Emma.

However the whole "street gear" thing was sublimely retarded. Especially seeing Storm all urbanised yet still having the giant headdress on her head.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited July 2008
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Is it just me going time-blind or are we getting a lot of Angel lately?

I think it was just the timing of when this book came out, and last month's having two books
    And Spike starts this month, too

Me Too! on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The Crimson King spread in Dark Tower.

"You call Arthur Eld ancestor, but I call him "father"."

And the Sheemie page.

"Enough pain! Enough for a hundred lifetimes!"

Bloods End on
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm not sure what I thought of Astonishing X-Men. It definitely wasn't bad and I do like the idea of the whole super-hero thing being their job. Also, Storm's reasons for being back on the team were kind of cool and I liked the play between her and Emma.

However the whole "street gear" thing was sublimely retarded. Especially seeing Storm all urbanised yet still having the giant headdress on her head.

Frankly I wasn't overly impressed with Armor mopping about her name and such. Really seemed out of character given how she was acting at the end of the last issue where she and Logan started sparring. Almost makes me wonder if she's bi-polar or something.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Buffy delivered all of my fanservice for the week, with both
    neigh

and
    I know you're going through your experimental phase, but if you put the moves on my witch I'll kill you...

AND
    FRAY!

Also, I bought what I can only assume was a bootleg Howard the Duck at a Comic Con last year, and I've probably watched monthly since.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My MotW was reading Morrison's We3. Fantastic book and thankfully not as depressing as other people have said. The pure black speech bubble was brilliant.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

What were Storm's reasons for being back with the X-Men?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »

Boredom, essentially.

Robos A Go Go on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Boredom, essentially.

Well boredom is HER reason but the official reason is that the X-Men are now financed through MSF (Mutants Sans Frontiers). MSF is in turn financed partially by the Wakandan government and Storm is present to assess how the X-Men work and whether Wakanda's investment is a sound one.

But mostly she's just bored.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

Boredom, essentially.

Well boredom is HER reason but the official reason is that the X-Men are now financed through MSF (Mutants Sans Frontiers). MSF is in turn financed partially by the Wakandan government and Storm is present to assess how the X-Men work and whether Wakanda's investment is a sound one.

But mostly she's just bored.
    Alt answer
    Ellis trying to save her from bad writing.

Bloods End on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    batman was so awesome this week

Sars_Boy on