As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moment of the Week: 7/2/08

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    batman was so terrible this week

batmanzurenarrhtk8.jpg

What's next, the return of Zebra Batman or Rainbow Batman?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Personally, continuity's one of the main reasons I care about superhero comic books at all, so I consider references to obscure stories a plus.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I thought all the stories from that era got retconed out of continuity with CoIE

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

batmanzurenarrhtk8.jpg

Glorious is what that is. Maddening and glorious.

Tach on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I thought all the stories from that era got retconed out of continuity with CoIE

Everything that happened to Batman is back in, albeit subject to reinterpretation.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Everything that happened to Batman is back in, albeit subject to reinterpretation.

since when

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008

since when

Since Grant decided that was the case, I guess.

The first I heard about it was an interview where Grant described how much he liked the idea of the entirety of the Batman mythos being valid, and that so many ludicrous, wonderful, and terrible things could happen to one man.

Batman R.I.P is supposed to be the culmination of that life.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    ugh I dont like that concept at all

those stories were stupid

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    KVW wrote: »
    Here's the "new" Batman. Sorry for the size, couldn't be bothered shrinking. Morrison needs to lay off the drugs.
    batman678mj7.jpg

Is that... is that Bat-mite?

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    yes

its not the first time he's shown up in Grant's run

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How does Bruce put together the new costume while stoned out of his mind and living off the streets?

In other news, I read over a few old Conan the Barbarian comics (dark horse) and am again tempted to track down more.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    ugh I dont like that concept at all

those stories were stupid

Yeah, they were, but if they can be used to enrich the character then why discount them just because the writing in those issues wasn't up to par?

Just think of it as Wold Newton on a smaller scale.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I, personally, greatly enjoy the idea that all Batman stories happened somehow or another, even if it was all in his head somehow.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, for better or worse, these stories shaped the Batman character and led him to where he is today, and I think it's a great idea to acknowledge that in story form.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Plus it'd be pretty awesome if some of the really weird ones, like alien Batman, turned out to be hallucinations

Me Too! on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Since Grant decided that was the case, I guess.

The first I heard about it was an interview where Grant described how much he liked the idea of the entirety of the Batman mythos being valid, and that so many ludicrous, wonderful, and terrible things could happen to one man.

Batman R.I.P is supposed to be the culmination of that life.

While that sounds cool in theory, the problem is that Batman spans 70+ years as an active character and perhaps close to 50,000 separate comic book appearances, all of which are now completely fair game according to Morrison...even though these stories consistently contradict the hell out of each other and/or make no f****** sense when applied to the modern interpretation of the character and/or or are examples of shoddy writing.

I'm a fan of writer's acknowledging the old school and what's come before, but what Morrison is trying to accomplish borders on the incomprehensible.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If the one where Thomas Wayne was a mad scientist trying to find a way to bring the dead back to life is put in continuity, I'll either be all for it or kill myself with a batarang, I'm not sure which at this point.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

batmanzurenarrhtk8.jpg

god you suck

stop hating good things

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm curious as to what the editorial process is for the Batman title, when you have a critically acclaimed movie coming out at the same time. I guess retailers can just warn people off of the psychodelic crackhead Batman title, but that seems like bad planning on DC's part.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    zebrabatmanaloneag9.jpg

COMING SOON.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    rainbow-batman.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    god I hope so you fun hating fuck

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Grant Morrison's explanation for shit like that is that Batman went into a Isolation Chamber and tripped balls.

Also, The Joker's Asylum was pretty not good imo.

EDIT: Also I am loving Morrison's run on Batman.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Nothing says fun like having all-age characters like Batman and Nightwing doped to the gils with happy juice.

Question - if this story was being written with Chuck Austin as the writer, but Grant was actually ghostwriting the entire thing, and no one knew it was Morrison actually writing it, would it be as 'acclaimed'? I say no.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, the reaction would probably be the same except people wouldn't be saying 'I have faith that it'll all be wonderful at the end'.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    sars boy is the bad karma of Grant Morrisson

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm curious as to what the editorial process is for the Batman title, when you have a critically acclaimed movie coming out at the same time. I guess retailers can just warn people off of the psychodelic crackhead Batman title, but that seems like bad planning on DC's part.

movies don't bring people into comic shops

Why do you hate America?

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    pfffahahahahaha

sorry i enjoy an awesome story i guess i'll just go back to sucking off morrison kay bye

tjkyle- austen wouldn't write a story like thins also your point is dumb anyway

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Nothing says fun like having all-age characters like Batman and Nightwing doped to the gils with happy juice.

Question - if this story was being written with Chuck Austin as the writer, but Grant was actually ghostwriting the entire thing, and no one knew it was Morrison actually writing it, would it be as 'acclaimed'? I say no.

To answer your question with a question...if this story was being written with Chuck Austin as the writer, but Grant was actually ghostwriting the entire thing, and no one knew it was Morrison actually writing it, would anyone be actually READING it after 6 pages?

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008

hm yes

because this is the first time anything awful has happened to "all age" characters

they should have subdued nightwing with puppies and chocolate kisses

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Joker's asylum had a decent, if unexpected, storyline.

I'm loving Batman right now, and..
    Taking Nightwing out of the picture was kinda funny, all straitjacketed and foamy at the mouth.

Fencingsax wrote: »
    You know what would be fun? If the Joker is the one that saves the day in some way.

I actually kind of expect this. Like hes all "nooo, Batman and Robin are MINE to kill and ruin!". I don't think jokers' going to just standby and watch someone else do what hes essentially been trying to do his whole criminal life.

I'd also like to see more of that hobo dude..what was his name? honer [jackson] or something like that?

[edit] Nvm, I got it. Good things come from reading the bat thread.

Newtron on
  • Options
    AlephAleph Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You know, I hate it when people look at scans of Morrison's current run on Batman and go "what the hell is this absurdity?! Shit doesn't make sense." Jesus, of course you don't understand what's going on, you're not following the damn title, in fact your'e only reading off scans on the internet. I see this a lot of scans_daily, ugh.

Aleph on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm reading the title and I still dont think it makes much sense

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    bale have you read all of morrison's batman?

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I've been reading since his first issue yes

I loved Batman & Son and the Heroes Club stories, hated Ra's Al Gul (I know not really his fault) and I thought the 3 Batmen story was far too drawn out, but I need to reread it because I'm positive all the stupid interruptions really hurt the story.

I havent read the latest issue of RIP yet so I can't say anything for certain, but drugged out insane Batman does not really strike me as something I want to read about.

I'm onboard till the end of RIP at the very least so we'll see.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    rainbow-batman.jpg

That looks more pink then red to me.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    and that Rainbow Batman cover is horrible

reminds me of Zorro: The Gay Blade

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I've been reading since his first issue yes

I loved Batman & Son and the Heroes Club stories, hated Ra's Al Gul (I know not really his fault) and I thought the 3 Batmen story was far too drawn out, but I need to reread it because I'm positive all the stupid interruptions really hurt the story.

I havent read the latest issue of RIP yet so I can't say anything for certain, but drugged out insane Batman does not really strike me as something I want to read about.

I'm onboard till the end of RIP at the very least so we'll see.
    oh yeah re reading really helps

like the whole run

i did it

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm just sayin I dont like when Morrisson gets all super weird

Batman & Son and Club of Heroes are the kind of Morrisson I like

bringing back Bat-Mite and Zurr-En-Rah not so much, thats not the Batman I want to read about

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Aleph wrote: »
    You know, I hate it when people look at scans of Morrison's current run on Batman and go "what the hell is this absurdity?! Shit doesn't make sense." Jesus, of course you don't understand what's going on, you're not following the damn title, in fact your'e only reading off scans on the internet. I see this a lot of scans_daily, ugh.

I've read every part of Morrison's run, and while parts are inspired he's spiraling into a total mess with the R.I.P. story lines.

Eh, I thought he did the same thing in New X-Men, so we shall see.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png