As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

San Diego Comic Con

• Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    im going

Sars_Boy on
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm hoping I'm going.
    Been planning on this trip for quite a while and my achilles tendon has decided this would be a good month to crap out on me. So I'm weighing how hard it's going to be to walk around against my desire to go.
    I'm pretty sure at this point I'm going to go as long as I'm not literally unable to walk just before it's time to go. But i guess I should bring some crutches with me just in case.

Looking forward to the program schedule.

akajaybay on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I'm hoping I'm going.
    Been planning on this trip for quite a while and my achilles tendon has decided this would be a good month to crap out on me. So I'm weighing how hard it's going to be to walk around against my desire to go.
    I'm pretty sure at this point I'm going to go as long as I'm not literally unable to walk just before it's time to go. But i guess I should bring some crutches with me just in case.

Looking forward to the program schedule.

They have wheel chairs there if you want to go that route. It does make things a bit more difficult to navigate the crowds though. On the plus side, you get really good placement in the panels.

Grifter on
    edited July 2008
    I suppose it's something to keep in mind if it goes downhill while I'm there.
    I wonder what acquiring one entails. I'd be going with my wife, do you have to sit separately in that case or do they just stick you on an aisle seat?

Right now I'm using crutches, and I can get away with using a single crutch kind of as a cane. So I may just go ahead and buy a cane.
    Maybe I should Dr. House cosplay....

edit: ah ha per their site
    Wheelchairs for loan in two- to three-hour increments on a first-come, first-served basis; all you need is an ID and a $20 cash deposit.

akajaybay on
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, a cane would make it a lot easier to maneuver through the sea of people. Crutches do not lend themselves well to the situation.

Grifter on
    edited July 2008
    The independant film festival schedule is up now.
    http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_iff_sched.shtml

akajaybay on
    edited July 2008
    Day One/Thursday Schedule is on their site now. Although not officially announced.

Good lord, I have no idea what to plan on going to.

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci08_prog_thu.php

akajaybay on
    edited July 2008
    Man, there's a lot going on that day that I'll want to see. That's a good first day. I hope the rest of the con is just as good if not better!

Grifter on
  • digital.aarondigital.aaron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Day One/Thursday Schedule is on their site now. Although not officially announced.

Good lord, I have no idea what to plan on going to.

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci08_prog_thu.php

That link 404's for me.

I'll be more interested when Friday's schedule gets posted, as that's the day I'll actually be there.

digital.aaron on
    edited July 2008
    Yeah I was just noticing that they'd yanked it.

Here I'll post it. Copied it down just in case of such an event.

Official list is up now: http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci08_prog_thu.php

akajaybay on
    edited July 2008
    Speaking of Friday here's PART of it.
    They apparantly have a search engine built into the program guide to search by subject. Someone got the comic books subject for friday results before it was taken down.
    Partial Friday schedule:
    Friday, July 25
    10:00-11:00 DC Talent Search 2— Learn what DC Comics looks for in artists and how to improve your chances of becoming a working professional! Panelists will discuss the different needs of the DC Universe, Vertigo, WildStorm, MAD magazine, Minx, and Zuda. This extremely informative orientation session will explain how DC’s Talent Search works and provide numerous tips and tricks on how to improve your work and explore opportunities. In order to have your work reviewed, attendance at this orientation session is mandatory. (Please note: Not all attendees are guaranteed a one-on-one review.) Room 4
    Categories: Comic Books | Seminars & Workshops

10:00-11:00 Marvel: Your Universe— Become an integral member of the Marvel Creative Committee as Kevin Feige (president, Marvel Studios), Dan Buckley (president, publishing), Joe Quesada (editor-in-chief, publishing), and Craig Kyle (senior VP, creative development, Marvel Animation) sit down with you and get your thoughts on all things Marvel. They’ll reveal what’s on the horizon with Marvel Studios, Publishing, and Animation and ask for your feedback and insights on what Marvel has done and is planning to do. From the day that The House of Ideas was built, Marvel has been your universe and now more than ever they’d like to hear what you have to say about everything from Marvel cinematic continuity to the upcoming slate of new animated television series in 2009 to the Skrull infiltration of our world. Room 6A
    Categories: Animation | Comic Books | Movies | Television

10:00-11:00 Batman: Brave & Bold— See an exclusive first look at the latest take on the Dark Knight, which premieres this fall on Cartoon Network. Producers Sam Register (Teen Titans) and James Tucker (Justice League Unlimited) discuss the show, along with writer Michael Jelenic (The Batman), director Brandon Vietti (Superman Doomsday), voice director Andrea Romano (Superman Doomsday), and the new voice of Batman, Diedrich Bader (Surfs Up), followed by a Q&A session. Room 6B
    Categories: Animation | Comic Books | Television

10:30-11:30 10 Years of DC Direct— Celebrate DC Direct's tenth anniversary with the creative minds behind your favorite action figures, statues, and busts! Panelists including VP—design/DC Direct creative Georg Brewer, DC Direct design director Jim Fletcher, a sculptor Jim Shoop and others discuss the first ten years of DC Direct and take a look into the future with the DCU, Watchmen movie, and World of Warcraft. Room 810:30-11:30 One on One with Terry Moore—The creator of Strangers in Paradise talks about his popular new series Echo and writing the new launches of Runaways and Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane for Marvel. Q & A to follow. Room 8
    Categories: Action Figures, Toys and Collectibles | Comic Books | Comic-Con Special Guest Spotlights & Appearances

10:30-11:30 One on One with Terry Moore— The creator of Strangers in Paradise talks about his popular new series Echo and writing the new launches of Runaways and Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane for Marvel. Q & A to follow. Room 10
    Categories: Comic Books

10:30-11:30 Comics Arts Conference Session #5: Focus on Mark Buckingham— Comics historian Alex Boney (Ohio State University) conducts a wide-ranging discussion of the comic book medium with artist Mark Buckingham (Miracleman, Fables, Peter Parker: Spider-Man). Room 30AB
    Categories: Art and Illustration | Comic Arts Conference | Comic Books

10:30-12:00 Comic Book Law School 202: Why Can’t We All Just Get Along?— Noted attorney Michael Lovitz, author of the acclaimed The Trademark and Copyright Book comic book, deals with more advanced issues facing authors, artists, and designers, particularly once they've "broken through" and have started publishing and selling (and maybe merchandising too). Creators aren't the only ones facing potential problems and issues—publishers, distributors, retailers, and even the ultimate consumers can find themselves facing legal issues they never expected. Infringements, knockoffs, lawsuits, cybersquatters, blogs, and parodies are just a few of the potential problems that may arise once creative works come to market. This session explores how copyright and trademark rights are enforced, how one's legal muscles may be flexed, and what to do when finding yourself in a legal mine field. Plus discussion about significant recent legislation and legal decisions that are likely to affect the field of popular culture and how these issues play an important role in your creative and business plans. Note: The Comic Book Law School seminars are designed to provide relevant information and practice tips to practicing attorneys, as well as practical tips to creators and other professionals who may wish to attend. [This program is approved for one credit of California MCLE.] Room 30CDE
    Categories: Comic Books | Seminars & Workshops

11:00-12:00 Spotlight on Mike Grell— The popular comics writer and artist Mike Grell is a Comic-Con special guest. He’ll talk about his career in comics and beyond, including some of his signature work, such as Warlord, Green Arrow, and Jon Sable. Room 2
    Categories: Comic Books | Comic-Con Special Guest Spotlights & Appearances

11:00-12:00 Image Comics Studio Space— Howard Chaykin, Tommy Lee Edwards, and Bryan Talbot discuss Image's hit Studio Space book, moderated by the book's editor and co-writer Joel Meadows. Room 3

11:15-12:15 Worlds Collide: The Making of Midway's Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe— Ed Boon (Mortal Kombat) and Jimmy Palmiotti (Painkiller Jane) discuss how two billion-dollar entertainment franchises collide as Mortal Kombat warriors battle DC superheroes for the first time in this highly anticipated video game. Ed and Jimmy provide an exclusive look at never-before-seen gameplay, unveil key characters on the game’s roster, and answer your questions. Room 6B
    Categories: Comic Books | Gaming

11:30-12:30 Marvel Cup o’ Joe— Meet the EEK himself, Joe Quesada, and surprise guests as they unveil what’s in store for all your favorite Marvel characters and creators, make some surprising announcements, and take on any and all questions! As always, this is the one no-holds barred panel that everyone’s gonna be talking about and the one panel you don’t want to miss! Room 6CDEF

11:30-12:30 Mattel and DC Comics: A Heroic Partnership— You’ve been a fan of Mattel’s popular DC toy lines, now find out the latest news, sneak peaks, and behind-the-scenes scoop on your favorite Mattel/DC action figures, including DC Universe Classics, Justice League Unlimited, The Dark Knight, and Infinite Heroes,—plus exciting new lines like Batman Brave and the Bold—as well as the world premiere of new action figures. Be on hand as representatives from Mattel, DC Comics, and Warner Bros. Entertainment offer an insightful Q&A. Brought to you by Mattycollector.com. Room 8
    Categories: Action Figures, Toys and Collectibles | Comic Books

11:30-12:30 Spotlight on Jim Starlin— The most cosmic comics creator of them all is a Comic-Con special guest. In Jim Starlin's 30+ years in comics he's produced some of the great cosmic sagas—Captain Marvel, Warlock, Dreadstar—and shown a penchant for death—The New Gods, Robin, and...well, Captain Marvel and Warlock! Starlin talks about his career and what's coming up for this talented writer and artist. Room 10

11:30-12:30 Comics Arts Conference Session #6: Comics Studies: Developing Canon and Theory— Douglas Wolk (Reading Comics) explores how the emerging field of comics studies can avoid the mistakes the study of literature and film made in the past century. Diana Green (Minneapolis College of Art & Design) puts Scott McCloud's theories about the comics form to the test by applying them in an examination of McCloud's own creative works (Zot, New Superman Adventures, etc.). Room 30AB
    Categories: Art and Illustration | Comic Arts Conference | Comic Books

11:55-1:30 Warner Bros.: Watchmen— A complex, multi-layered mystery adventure, Watchmen is set in an alternate 1985 America in which costumed superheroes are part of the fabric of everyday society, and the "Doomsday Clock"— which charts the USA's tension with the Soviet Union—is permanently set at five minutes to midnight. When one of his former colleagues is murdered, the washed-up —- but no less determined —- masked vigilante Rorschach sets out to uncover a plot to kill and discredit all past and present superheroes. As he reconnects with his former crime-fighting legion—a ragtag group of retired superheroes, only one of whom has true powers —- Rorschach glimpses a wide-ranging and disturbing conspiracy with links to their shared past and catastrophic consequences for the future. Their mission is to watch over humanity...but who watches the Watchmen? Guest appearances TBA. Hall H
    Categories: Comic Books | Movies

12:00-1:00 50 Years of Gay Legion of Super-Heroes Fandom— The fiftieth anniversary of the Legion of Super-Heroes gives the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) fans a reason to celebrate. Join Prism Comics president Roger Klorese, Interlac APA central mailer and HIV + ME cartoonist Chris Companik, and a "legion" of pros and fans in a freewheeling discussion to find out, among other things, which male Legionnaire coveted the name "Light Lass," how Matter Eater Lad consumed whole planets without gaining an ounce, and why removing the pink from Cosmic Boy's costume made him look somehow...gayer. And, what's up with Element Lad? Room 3
    Categories: Comic Books | Fandom

12:00-1:00 Prince of Persia— Jordan Mechner, the creator of the Prince of Persia video game and graphic novel and screenwriter on the upcoming movie, discusses the global phenomenon that is Prince of Persia, tying together the comics and the video game industry. Room 4
    Categories: Comic Books | Gaming | Movies

12:00-2:00 Steve Rude Painting Workshop— Comic book artist Steve Rude (Nexus, The Moth, Worlds Finest) demonstrates his classical approach to portrait painting with writer and Nexus editor Anina Bennett. This two-hour panel will help you simplify this often difficult and misunderstood procedure, with Rude answering all your questions and explaining the process along the way. Room 30CDE
    Categories: Art and Illustration | Comic Books | Seminars & Workshops

12:30-1:30 The Art of Adapting Comics to the Screen— The cinematic renaissance of comic book-based films continues, and here's your chance to learn what it takes to adapt these dream projects to the screen! Creative Screenwriting magazine's senior editor Jeff Goldsmith hosts an amazing panel of Stan Lee (co-creator of Iron Man), Zak Penn (screenwriter, The Incredible Hulk), Mark Fergus (co-screenwriter, Iron Man), and Gregory Noveck (senior VP—creative affairs, DC Comics). Room 5AB

12:30-1:30 Spotlight on Jim Lee: The Art of DC Universe Online (DCUO)— Jim Lee (All Star Batman and Robin, The Boy Wonder, Batman: Hush, Superman: For Tomorrow) and Carlos D'Anda (Brass, WildC.A.T.S, Bionicle, The Outsiders, JLA: Classified, Deathblow) of WildStorm Productions fame join with Chris Cao, Jared Carr and Jason Smith of Sony Online Entertainment's DC Universe Online game development team to discuss the unique challenges and opportunities faced in adapting the rich comic book art of the DC Universe to a 3D game world and delivering the same emotional impact online as the brand evokes in its other mediums; moderated by Mat Broome (Batman: No Man's Land, WildC.A.T.S) Room 6B
    Categories: Comic Books | Comic-Con Special Guest Spotlights & Appearances | Gaming

12:30-1:30 Spectacular Spider-Man— Spend some time with the cast and creators of the renowned webslinger's newest animated adventures, The Spectacular Spider-Man, a Culver Entertainment Production. Ask your burning questions about the first 13 episodes of Season 1, learn about what's in store for the next 13 and catch an exclusive sneak peek at Season 2! Michael Vogel from Sony Pictures Television Animation moderates a panel that includes supervising producer Greg Weisman (Gargoyles); supervising producer/supervising director Vic Cook (Hellboy: Blood and Iron);—character designer Sean "Cheeks" Galloway (Hellboy animated films); voice director Jamie Thomason (2007's TMNT, Spirited Away);—the voice of Spider-Man, Josh Keaton (The Young & The Restless); the voice of Mary Jane Watson, Vanessa Marshall (Star Wars: Jedi Knights II); and the voice of Eddie Brock and Venom,—Ben Diskin (Codename: Kids Next Door). Room 6CDEF
    Categories: Animation | Comic Books | Television

12:30-2:00 That ’70s (Comics) Panel— It started with Nixon and ended with Carter, but in between the 1970s showcased an incredible influx of new comics talent unheard of since the beginning of the industry in the 1930s. Moderator Mark Evanier (who worked with Jack "King" Kirby on DC’s "Fourth World" books in the ’70s) hosts Comic-Con special guests Mike W. Barr (Camelot 3000, Batman), Howard Chaykin (American Flagg!), Mike Grell (Warlord, Green Arrow), Paul Gulacy (Master of Kung Fu, Sabre), Jim Starlin (Dreadstar, Captain Marvel), Joe Staton (Green Lantern, E-Man), Len Wein (Fantastic Four, Incredible Hulk), and Bernie Wrightson (Swamp Thing, Frankenstein). Wow! That’s almost one panelist for each year in the decade! Room 8

12:30-2:00 Comics Arts Conference Session #7: Visual Language— Neil Cohn (Tufts University) explores the visual language underlying the "manga style," how it works and how it differs from the visual languages in comics developed in other cultures. Robert O'Nale Jr. (Henderson State University) uses David Mack’s Kabuki to illustrate how gestalt can be an important avenue for analyzing design and meaning in comics. Alec Hosterman (Indiana University South Bend) demonstrates the dominance of hyper-reality in comic art and explains how it can be utilized for further study of the art form. Room 30AB
    Categories: Anime & Manga | Comic Arts Conference | Comic Books

1:00-2:00 Spotlight on Victor Gorelick— One of the most prolific editors in comics, Victor Gorelick has entertained readers since 1958. Victor started as an art assistant at Archie Comics, since then he has served as production manager, art director, and managing editor before being named editor-in-chief. On hand to provide a retrospective of Victor's career are Fred Mausser, Archie Comics, VP sales; Mike Pellerito, Archie Comics managing editor; Betty & Veronica writer/artist Dan Parent; "Archie Freshman Year" writer Batton Lash; Jughead writer Craig Boldman; and Archie inker Rich Koslowski. The moderator is Finger Award–winning Archie writer George Gladir. Room 4

1:30-2:30 Scott McCloud Zot!— Legendary comics theorist Scott McCloud (Understanding Comics) offers a funny and fascinating visual presentation about his very first comic book, Zot!, and the two amazing decades that followed, in celebration of HarperCollins' new 576-page omnibus Zot!: The Complete Black and White Collection. Room 10

akajaybay on
    edited July 2008
    Yeesh even the partial schedule is too much to fit into one post.
    the rest of friday's partial list

1:30-2:30 Joss Whedon— Joss Whedon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and the writers and cast of his new short film, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, will show never-before-seen clips while Joss also discusses Buffy Season Eight, the Fray crossover, and the upcoming Serenity comic focusing on Shepherd Book. Ballroom 20
    Categories: Comic Books | Fandom | Horror and Suspense | Movies | Science Fiction & Fantasy | Television

2:00-3:00 The World of Graphic Novels— International is part of Comic-Con’s name for a reason! An impressive roster of worldwide talent who create graphic novels—Nick Abadzis (UK, Laika), Eddie Campbell (Australia by way of Scotland, The Amazing Remarkable Monsieur Leotard), Rutu Modan (Israel, Exit Wounds), Alex Robinson (U.S., Too Cool to be Forgotten), and Adrian Tomine (U.S., Shortcomings)— join moderator good ol’ American Tom Spurgeon (comicsreporter.com) to discuss graphic novels and why they make the world go ’round. Room 3

2:00-3:00 Broccoli Books— Broccoli Books brings quality Japanese manga to the United States. See what they have to offer currently and what is in store for the future. Broccoli—it is cheap and healthy for you-nyo! Room 4
    Categories: Anime & Manga | Comic Books

2:00-3:30 Comics Arts Conference Session #8: Playing the Hero— Peter Coogan (Institute for Comics Studies), wrestler Diamond Dallas Page (Yoga for Regular Guys), actor John Newton (Superboy), City of Heroes gamer Jospeh Cohen (Justice Knights Yahoo group), and Matthew "Feedback" Atherton (Who Wants to Be a Superhero) discuss and explore how wrestlers, actors, and gamers understand, adapt, and apply the superhero genre. Room 30AB
    Categories: Comic Books | Fandom | Gaming | Movies

2:00-3:30 Scribe Awards/Media Tie-in Writers Panel— The second annual presentation of the International Association of Media-Tie-in Writers (IAMTW) "Scribe" awards, honoring such notable franchises as CSI NY, Murder She Wrote, Criminal Minds, Stargate Atlantis, Star Trek, Resident Evil and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The awards presentation is followed by a panel of nominees, including William Dietz (Hitman), Stacia Deutsch (Nancy Drew), Kevin J. Anderson (Last Days of Krypton), Steven Paul Leiva (12 Dogs of Christmas), Alan Dean Foster (Transformers), Lee Goldberg (Monk), and moderator Max Allan Collins (American Gangster). Andy Mangels (Iron Man) will present the awards. Room 32AB
    Categories: Animation | Awards Ceremonies | Comic Books | Gaming | Horror and Suspense | Movies | Science Fiction & Fantasy | Television

2:15-3:15 DC: Batman: No Rest for The Dark Knight— Batman is the original dark hero. He lives a life pledged to helping the helpless and punishing the guilty, but this summer everything is going to change. With a blockbuster hit in theatres and a darker storyline than ever before, now’s the time to celebrate the minds behind the bat! Senior editor Michael Marts, Grant Morrison (Batman), Paul Dini (Detective Comics), Dustin Nguyen (Detective Comics), Brian Azzarello (Joker), and others discuss the mythos of the Bat and what looms ahead for our hero. Room 6A

2:30-3:30 Hasbro: Marvel— Jerry Jivoin, Michelle Favaloro, and Scott George of Hasbro marketing and Brian Wilk, Josh Lamb, Steve Redinger, Dwight Stall, and Logan Lubera of Hasbro Design present the Hasbro Marvel line, including Spider-Man, Iron Man, Hulk, Marvel Legends and Super Hero Squad toy lines from 2008. Also, see a sneak peek into the 2009 line and a Q&A session! Room 5AB

2:30-3:30 Radical Comics!— Radical Publishing discusses 2008 and beyond with some big announcements following on the heels of Hercules being produced by Radical Pictures and Peter Berg's Film 44 for Spyglass Entertainment/Universal Studios. Panelist include Radical's president and publisher Barry Levine; editor-in-chief Dave Elliott; Steve Niles (30 Days of Night), writer of both the comic and the screenplay for his upcoming Radical project City of Dust; Ian Edginton, discussing his approach in taking Aladdin to a very dark place; Sam Sarkar, screenwriter for the comic book adaptation of the film Caliber, to be directed by John Woo; Edmund Shern, the writer for Freedom Formula, which is being developed for film with Bryan Singer's Bad Hat Harry Productions; and the legendary Jim Steranko, Hercules designer and first issue cover artist. Room 10
    Categories: Comic Books | Horror and Suspense | Movies | Science Fiction & Fantasy

2:45-3:45 Lionsgate and Odd Lot Entertainment: The Spirit— Writer/director Frank Miller and producer Deborah Del Prete are joined by film stars Gabriel Macht, Samuel L. Jackson, and Eva Mendes in unveiling an exclusive preview of the new film based on the classic comic by Will Eisner. Hall H

3:00-4:00 VIZ Media's Anime and Manga Publishing— Get the Comic-Con exclusive scoop from the VIZ Editorial and Marketing teams on what's new for 2009 from one of the entertainment industry's most innovative and comprehensive publishing, animation, and licensing companies. Room 2
    Categories: Anime & Manga | Comic Books

3:00-4:00 An Introduction to Webcomics— The single largest explosion of new comics talent in history is happening online. Did you know that there are over 18,000 webcomics? Some of them have millions of readers. Most of these comics are free. Is this news to you? Then come and find out what you've been missing from Phil Foglio (moderator and writer/artist Girl Genius), Brad Guigar (Evil, Inc.), Dave Kellett (Sheldon), Scott Kurtz (PVP), and Kris Straub (Starslip Crisis). Room 3
    Categories: Art and Illustration | Comic Books | Webcomics

3:00-4:00 TBA— TBA. Room 6B

3:00-4:00 World of Warcraft— Hear what’s next for World of Warcraft straight from the source! Representatives from Blizzard Entertainment will be joined by folks from Upper Deck, DC Comics and Tokyopop to reveal what’s in store for World of Warcraft gaming, comics, action figure, and manga fans. Plus, while supplies last, attendees will receive an exclusive World of Warcraft Comic-Con gift! Room 6CDEF
    Categories: Action Figures, Toys and Collectibles | Anime & Manga | Comic Books | Gaming

3:00-4:00 Spotlight on Lynda Barry— Iconic alt-cartoonist and Comic-Con special guest Lynda Barry is the author of the recently released—to much acclaim—graphic-how-to-memoir, What It Is. Barry has been at the forefront of alternative comics since Matt Groening published her first comics while they were both students in college. This presentation takes an inside look at Barry’s creative energy, genius, and approach to making art. "The ordinary is extraordinary" in Barry’s world, and everyone can write and be creative—we just have to ask ourselves the right questions. Have your pencils ready and your mind prepared to be blown with this once in a lifetime chance to meet the! Lynda! Barry!, creator of Ernie Pook’s Comeek, One! Hundred! Demons! and The! Greatest! of! Marlys!. Room 7AB
    Categories: Art and Illustration | Comic Books | Comic-Con Special Guest Spotlights & Appearances

3:30-4:30 Spotlight on Geoff Johns— His ideas have breathed new life into Flash, Teen Titans, Green Lantern, the Justice Society of America, and now Superman. Is there anything writer Geoff Johns can’t do? Probably not, but come ask anyway. Don’t miss this panel hosted by Ian Sattler, senior story editor—DCU, interviewing one of the brightest minds behind the magic of the DC Universe. Room 5AB

3:30-4:30 Marvel to the Nth Degree— In today’s world, comic-loving fans should be able to enjoy their graphic entertainment in the most thoroughly modern media. At this panel, Marvel unveils a covert project it has been seeding as part of a secret partnership for many months. You’ll get a sneak peek at an unprecedented way to experience a new work by one of the biggest names in entertainment (not comic books, entertainment). Featuring Joe Quesada (Marvel editor-in-chief), Alex Maleev (Daredevil), and Ruwan Jayatilleke (SVP, Marvel strategic development), and others who shall not be named at the moment. The game is about to be changed. Room 6A

3:30-4:30 BOOM! Studios Panel— One of the fastest-growing independent publishers invites you to take a peek at what makes BOOM! so great. Editor-in-chief Mark Waid (Kingdom Come), co-founders Andrew Cosby (Eureka) and Ross Richie, marketing and sales director Chip Mosher (Left on Mission), and a few surprise guests will be making announcements about the upcoming year for BOOM! Studios. Come and watch us explode! Room 10

3:30-5:00 Comic Book 102: The Ins and Outs of Collecting, Investing, and Writing— Designed to thrill and educate audiences from the 8-year-old novice to the millionaire financial advisor, this expert panel discussion details the comings and goings of the hobby. Learn about the history of comics, how to collect and successfully invest, detect restoration, discuss current and future community standards and even receive advice on how one becomes a published comic book writer. Panelists include noted restoration/conservation expert Susan Cicconi (The Restoration Lab/Network of Disclosure), Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide advisor Mark S. Zaid (EsquireComics.com/Network of Disclosure), executive editor and associate publisher J. C. Vaughn (Gemstone Publishing), Douglas Wheeler-Nicholson and Nicky Wheeler-Nicholson Brown (son and granddaughter, respectfully, of DC Comics founder Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson), and other prominent experts from publishing, services, and writing. Room 24A

3:30-4:30 Comic Book Heaven: LIVE!— If you've ever wondered which superhero sleeps in his uniform, where the rudest place to shoot a giant space monster can be found, and what you really got when you ordered junk from ads found in old comic books, you'll love Comic Book Heaven: LIVE! Scott Saavedra (Comic Book Heaven, Java Town) shines a bright and affectionate light on some of the strangest stories and most twisted moments found in vintage comic books. Comic Book Heaven: LIVE! is like Scott's Comic Book Heaven blog (comic_book_heaven.blogspot.com) but without all the tedious pointing and clicking. Room 30AB

3:30-4:30 Toys, Comics and Characters: Illustrators as Entertainment Entrepeneurs— Abby Denson (Tough Love), Nora Krug (BLAB!), Tara McPherson (Lonely Heart), and Brian Wood (DMZ), all prominent professionals from among Parsons Illustration alumni and faculty, talk with Steven Guarnaccia (chair, Parsons Illustration) and Angie Wojak (director, Parsons Career Services) about how studying illustration was useful in achieving their creative and professional goals. Room 32AB
    Categories: Art and Illustration | Comic Books

4:00-5:00 All Hail the Transformers!— TF editor Denton Tipton hosts a panel of Transformers creators including writers Shane McCarthy (All Hail Megatron), Chris Mowry (The Reign of Starscream), Marty Eisenberg (TF Animated), artists Alex Milne (The Reign of Starscream), Marcelo Matere (TF Animated) and others. Advance art, surprise announcements, and pints of Energon all around! Room 2
    Categories: Animation | Comic Books | Kids | Movies | Television

4:00-5:00 Image Comics Show— On the heels of one of the biggest announcements Image has ever made, the Image Comics Show promises to follow up in a major way with special guests including Robert Kirkman, Whilce Portacio, Brian Posehn, Gerard Duggan, Erik Larsen, and others. All this, plus even more announcements and exclusive giveaways! Room 7AB

4:00-5:00 Spotlight on Al Feldstein— Continuing Comic-Con’s mini "Al’s at MAD magazine" programming theme, the dean of EC Comics, triple threat editor/writer/artist Al Feldstein returns to Comic-Con. Feldstein—who edited the EC line in its glory days and took MAD to new heights of popularity—talks with Mark Evanier about comics, painting, that magazine, and much more! Room 8
    Categories: Cartooning and Comic Strips | Comic Books | Comic-Con Special Guest Spotlights & Appearances

4:15-5:15 Spotlight on Jim Butcher— In a short period of time, Comic-Con special guest Jim Butcher has become one of the most popular names in fantasy fiction. His two series of books, The Dresden Files and Codex Alera, are New York Times bestsellers. Butcher talks about his books and his recent foray into the comic book adaptation world with the Dabel Brothers. Room 6CDEF
    Categories: Comic Books | Comic-Con Special Guest Spotlights & Appearances | Horror and Suspense | Science Fiction & Fantasy | Television

4:30-5:30 Vertigo: View of the Future— Vertigo is a more than a name. It’s the imprint that delivers smart, provocative, and edgy books. Be here to find out what’s in store for your favorite Vertigo titles as well as some major new projects that will be announced here for the first time! Hosted by senior VP—executive editor, Vertigo, Karen Berger, group editor Shelly Bond, and senior editor Will Dennis, this panel is not to be missed, especially considering the talent in tow: Brian Azzarello (100 Bullets, Joker), Mark Buckingham (Fables), David Lapham (Young Liars), Grant Morrison (Seaguy),—Matt Sturges (House of Mystery), Matt Wagner (Madame Xanadu), Bill Willingham (Fables, House of Mystery), G. Willow Wilson (Air), Brian Wood (DMZ, Northlanders), and others! Room 5AB

4:30-5:30 Spotlight on Keith Giffen— Comic-Con special guest Keith Giffen talks about his long career as writer and artist with friend and collaborator Robert Loren Fleming. Plus get the lowdown on their latest project: the return of Ambush Bug for DC Comics! Room 10

4:30-5:30 Action Figure Insider: Behind the Plastic: The Golden Age of Marvel Toys/Toy Biz— True innovators in the world of action figures are few and far between. The Team at Marvel Toys/Toy Biz has been bringing articulation to American action figures in their groundbreaking lines: Marvel Legends, Spider-Man Classics, Lord of the Rings, Legendary Comic Book Heroes and other Marvel movie lines. The managers of these lines talk about what might have been and their future plans. You will see never-before-seen plans for unproduced figures from the Marvel, LCBH, and other lines. Moderated by Daniel "Julius Marx" Pickett of ActionFigureInsider.com. Room 30AB

4:30-5:30 Resources for Creators— Panelists give an overview of legal, financial, and technical supports available to creators, including how to get a creative arts lawyer even if you don't have money, guilds and unions, health insurance, studio insurance, business licenses and working with your local municipal departments for networking and support, grants, artist retreats, and so on. Writer/artist Colleen Doran (A Distant Soil) moderates. Room 30CDE
    Categories: Art and Illustration | Comic Books | Seminars & Workshops

4:30-6:00 So You Want to Be a Comics Retailer— This is where the dream takes flight! You have questions—our panel of experts have answers. Joe Field (Flying Colors Comics & Other Cool Stuff, Concord, CA) hosts retailer Joe Ferrara (Atlantis Fantasyworld, Santa Cruz, CA), Annette Price (Speeding Bullet, Norman, OK), Jay Bardyla (Happy Harbor Comics, Edmonton, Alberta) and Dave Hawksworth (Diamond Comic Distributors field sales manager), as they discuss your future as a retailer of comics and graphic novels. Room 32AB
    Categories: Comic Books | Retailer Programming

5:00-6:00 Spotlight on Bernie Wrightson— Comic-Con special guest Bernie Wrightson brought a whole new face to horror comics when he broke into the industry in the late 1960s. He went on to co-create Swamp Thing and produce numerous work in both the horror and superhero genres. His magnum opus is his illustrated version of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, to be reprinted later this year by Dark Horse Comics. Room 3
    Categories: Art and Illustration | Comic Books | Comic-Con Special Guest Spotlights & Appearances | Horror and Suspense

5:00-6:00 Teaching Comics— A few years ago, there were almost no academic programs for young cartoonists. Now classes and textbooks are popping up all over. Instructors and authors including Phil Jimenez (Infinite Crisis) and Steve Lieber (Whiteout) will discuss their philosophies of teaching cartooning with moderator Douglas Wolk (Reading Comics). Room 4
    Categories: Art and Illustration | Cartooning and Comic Strips | Comic Books | Seminars & Workshops

5:00-6:00 Comic Artists Guild: An Open Call for Members Nationwide— Trying to break into the comics industry? Need an outlet for telling interesting stories with words and pictures? Keith Murphey, the founder of the Comicbook Artists Guild (otherwise known as CAG), along with a panel of members representing the East and West coasts, invites all aspiring creators to take part in an enlightening discussion of how CAG can unite talent together for projects of their choosing and how talented people like you can benefit from membership! Never been published? Need to find your own "voice"? Want to start a CAG chapter in your own hometown? Come find out how! Room 24A
    Categories: Art and Illustration | Cartooning and Comic Strips | Comic Books | Seminars & Workshops | Webcomics

5:15-6:15 Entertainment Weekly’s The Visionaries: Filmmakers— Kevin Smith (Zack and Miri Make a Porno), Frank Miller (The Spirit), Zack Snyder (Watchmen), and Judd Apatow (Knocked Up) are the filmmakers who are redefining what it means to have power in Hollywood. Because their power is derived from delivering high-profile entertainment to a hungry mainstream audience and from cultivating a rabid, pseudo-religious fan following. Listen as they engage in a free-wheeling conversation on the movie business, their upcoming projects, and what it means—to them—to be a geek. Moderated by Entertainment Weekly and EW.com senior editor Marc Bernardin. Hall H

5:30-6:30 Spotlight on Kim Deitch— Underground and alternative comix legend Kim Deitch (Boulevard of BrokenDreams, Alias the Cat) presents work from his new book Pictorama and a sneak peek at an upcoming project. As Kim puts it, he'll be showing "a touch of the past, a whole lot of the present, and a pretty generous look at the future as well!" Room 10
    Categories: Cartooning and Comic Strips | Comic Books | Comic-Con Special Guest Spotlights & Appearances

6:00-7:00 Larry Marder: The Beanworld Is Back!— Legendary Beanworld creator Larry Marder is front and center in his first solo Comic-Con panel in 15 years. Learn how beans have been part of Marder's life since the day he was born! This rich visual presentation covers the entire history of his peculiar fantasy dimension including Marder's many influences. This is your opportunity to discover why Beanworld has captivated readers from grade school to grad school since its first publication as a series of comic books in the 1980s. Now Dark Horse Comics is publishing Beanworld for an entire new generation of fans. Hear all the details about Marder's many upcoming Beanworld projects! Room 2

6:00-7:00 Indie Comics to Toys— Geoff Beckett and Lance Buttiglieri (Shocker Toys) bring you a discussion into independent comics and their translation into super posable action figures, vinyl products and Shockinis. Geoff, Lance, and comics creators present a Q&A on comic book toys such as Indie Spotlight, other products such as Dethklok, production schedules, new ideas, and giveaways! Room 4

6:00-7:00 DCU: Final Crisis Management— The Final Crisis is here! Senior VP-executive editor Dan DiDio talks with Grant Morrison (Batman, Final Crisis), JG Jones (Final Crisis), Geoff Johns (Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds), Brad Meltzer (DCU: Last Will and Testament), Greg Rucka (Final Crisis: Revelations), Phillip Tan (Final Crisis: Revelations), and others! Catch a glimpse of what will be one of the most talked-about events of the summer! Room 6A

6:00-7:00 How To Make Webcomics: Live!— The four authors of Image Comics’ breakout book How to Make Webcomics present a live version of their popular weekly podcast. Scott Kurtz (PvP), Dave Kellett (Sheldon), Kris Straub (Starslip Crisis), and Brad Guigar (Evil Inc) discuss some of the core issues in webcomics: making money and building communities. Room 8
    Categories: Comic Books | Seminars & Workshops | Webcomics

6:30-7:30 The Goon— A Q&A with Goon creator Eric Powell and Reno 9-11 writers and stars Ben Garant and Thomas Lennon about their new super secret super fantastic comics project! If you miss this panel, everyone will know more about this project than you and that makes you stupid and unattractive to women. Room 30AB

7:15-9:15 Totally Rad Show— Hosts Alex Albrecht (Diggnation), Dan Trachtenberg, and Jeff Cannata bring their Webby Award–winning geek culture show to Comic-Con in their first ever live performance. Join the guys for an explosion of movie, video game, TV, and comic book news and reviews, and see what makes this Revision3 show such an Internet phenomenon. Room 7AB
    Categories: Animation | Anime & Manga | Comic Books | Fandom | Gaming | Movies | Nighttime Programming | Television

8:30-10:00 Marvel/Lionsgate: Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow World Premiere!— Whenever the forces of evil threatened mankind, Earth's mightiest heroes, the Avengers, were there to stop them—until they made the ultimate sacrifice in their final fight with the indestructible robot Ultron. But all was not lost, for Tony Stark (Iron Man) kept the children of the Avengers safe and raised them to become the teenage heroes of tomorrow. But it will take more than five teens to destroy the machine that defeated their parents. If these young heroes have any hope of winning, they must find the missing Hulk and come together as...the Next Avengers! Meet Craig Kyle (supervising producer), Gary Hartle (producer/supervising director), Christopher Yost (writer), and others involved in this new animated film and watch Next Avengers before its September 2, 2008 Blu-Ray and DVD release. Room 6A
    Categories: Animation | Comic Books | Movies | Nighttime Programming

8:30-11:30 The Spirit Presents the Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards— The 20th annual Eisner Awards, the "Oscars" of the comics industry, will be given out at a gala ceremony. This year's special them is "The Magic of Comics." Presenters include comics creator/director Frank Miller (Sin City, 300, The Spirit), Spongebob Squarepants creator Tom Kenney, and Jane Wiedlin of the Go-Gos, plus several other celebrities from comics, animation, and film. Other prestigious awards to be given out include the Russ Manning Promising Newcomer Award and the Bob Clampett Humanitarian Award. The master of ceremonies is Bongo Comics' Bill Morrison. Admission to the Eisners is free to all Comic-Con attendees—just be sure to bring your badge. Doors open for pros and VIPs at 7:30 and for attendees at 8:15. Ballroom 20
    Categories: Awards Ceremonies | Comic Books | Nighttime Programming

akajaybay on
    edited July 2008
    And if it's of interest to anyone, the schedule for all of Cartoon Network's/Adult Swim's panels for the full weekend.

http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=24705

akajaybay on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    oh god AS panel yessss

Sars_Boy on
    edited July 2008
    Wow, thanks for the info!

For a "partial" list, that Friday schedule already looks packed. It's just a shame that Jim Lee's panel is only about the DCUO. But then, I guess he really isn't there to talk about crap he worked on 20 years ago for Marvel. Oh well.

I would totally go to the WebComics panel, if PA was going to be part of the presenters. Oh well.

You can count me in for the Adult Swim panel on Friday evening, even if i have to sit through the Robot Chicken-first-half. I wanna see me some Venture Brothers, damnit!

digital.aaron on
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    12:00-1:00 50 Years of Gay Legion of Super-Heroes Fandom— The fiftieth anniversary of the Legion of Super-Heroes gives the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) fans a reason to celebrate. Join Prism Comics president Roger Klorese, Interlac APA central mailer and HIV + ME cartoonist Chris Companik, and a "legion" of pros and fans in a freewheeling discussion to find out, among other things, which male Legionnaire coveted the name "Light Lass," how Matter Eater Lad consumed whole planets without gaining an ounce, and why removing the pink from Cosmic Boy's costume made him look somehow...gayer. And, what's up with Element Lad? Room 3

hahaha

what

Rans on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    i would totally be there. that sounds awesome

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2008
    that's pretty ridiculous

and a little awesome

DJ Eebs on
    edited July 2008
    i mean come on
    why removing the pink from Cosmic Boy's costume made him look somehow...gayer.

how does that not sound like a good time?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    i mean come on
    why removing the pink from Cosmic Boy's costume made him look somehow...gayer.

how does that not sound like a good time?

I think that entry was put on the schedule to see if anyone was paying attention. I'd like to go, if only to see that people that actually turn up for that panel. Heh.

digital.aaron on
    edited July 2008
    i'm not, like, making fun of it or anything though. i think it really sounds like fun

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited July 2008
    The schedules are apparantly not finalized. Hence the hiding em shortly after. But they give you a nice idea of what's going to be going on. Just dont plan a tight schedule around them until they're a bit more solid.

The full Friday list was up for a while, but I was too slow on that one. Going to poke around see if I can find anyone who saved it.

akajaybay on
    edited July 2008
    Servo, I just have this mental image of a bunch of fans that take the material WAY too seriously. Or the guys that wander into the the wrong panel room and are totally confused by the material being presented.

digital.aaron on
    edited July 2008
    this does not sound like a group of people who are taking losh way too seriously.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited July 2008
    The Thursday list seems to have gotten spread around a bit. But I don't see any of the Friday stuff elsewhere.

akajaybay on
    edited July 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    this does not sound like a group of people who are taking losh way too seriously.

I meant more along the lines of flaming fashion nazis arguing over the merits of having pink, rather than fuscia be the secondary color of a particular super hero.

But you're right, probably going to be a very entertaining panel, at least.

digital.aaron on
    edited July 2008
    Servo is right. That sounds like a totally cool panel. The idea is that they enjoy the material and ARENT uptight about it.

Anyway, I dont want to make their webmaster cry or anything but it looks like all of the friday info is still up there in a way. The friday list I have above is the search results link for stuff on friday with the tag comic books. But you can click on the other related tags as well and come up with more from friday.

Gonna play around a bit and see if I can sort out what I have and dont have already.

akajaybay on
    edited July 2008
    Wow..some sweet stuff here...

Friday stuff that's NOT tagged comic books.
    television tag:
    10:00-10:50 Star Wars: Designing the Clone Wars Universe— Meet the original in-house team that designed the unique look of the Clone Wars series. They will discuss how they worked with supervising director Dave Filoni to come up with the graphic, painterly style of imagery that gives Clone Wars its distinct look. Drawing on the last three years of production, they will share how the characters and environments have evolved using much of the rich classic Star Wars imagery as reference for designing the show's overall look. Moderated by Lucasfilm's Steve Sansweet. Room 7AB
    Categories: Animation | Science Fiction & Fantasy | Television

10:15-11:15 The Big Bang Theory Screening and Q&A— Positive proof that physics is funny, The Big Bang Theory makes its Comic-Con debut with a screening of the "Nerdvana Annihilation" episode and a Q&A with the TV show’s creators and stars. Talk with executive producers Chuck Lorre (Two and a Half Men) and Bill Prady (Dharma & Greg), as well as series stars Johnny Galecki (Roseanne), Jim Parsons (Garden State), Kaley Cuoco (Charmed), Simon Helberg (Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story), and Kunal Nayyar (NCIS). From Chuck Lorre Productions, Inc. in association with Warner Bros. Television, The Big Bang Theory will air Mondays at 8 PM ET/PT this fall on the CBS Television Network. Room 6CDEF
    Categories: Science Fiction & Fantasy | Television

10:30-11:30 Spotlight on Max Brooks— America's favorite zombie expert is a Comic-Con special guest for the first time! Author Max Brooks, whose groundbreaking work in the walking dead genre could possibly save your life some day (see his The Zombie Survival Guide), talks about his work and what's up next for him. Room 5AB
    Categories: Animation | Comic-Con Special Guest Spotlights & Appearances | Horror and Suspense | Movies | Science Fiction & Fantasy | Television

10:45-11:45 Stargate Continuum— Following on the heels of the hit DVD release Ark of Truth, the next full-length feature will be released Tuesday, July 29, with principal cast members returning for the biggest adventure of them all! This panel features Brad Wright (series co-creator and Continuum developer, executive producer and writer), Martin Wood (director), and (subject to availability) stars Richard Dean Anderson (General Jack O'Neill), Amanda Tapping (Lt. Colonel Samantha Carter), Ben Browder (Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell), Michael Shanks (Dr. Daniel Jackson), and Christopher Judge (Teal'c). Ballroom 20
    Categories: Movies | Science Fiction & Fantasy | Television

11:15-12:15 Powerpuff Girls 10th Anniversary and Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends— Believe it or not, it has been 10 whole years since the Powerpuff Girls flew out of Professor Utonium’s lab and into our hearts. Along the way Blossom, Buttercup, and Bubbles have kicked the butt of every major villain in Townsville. Celebrate their 10th Anniversary with show creator Craig McCracken and the voices of the Powerpuff Girls—Cathy Cavadini, Tara Strong, and Elizabeth Daily. They will answer all of your questions and accept all of your praise! And Craig will also be talking about his other Cartoon Network hit, Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends, along with co-creator Lauren Faust and voice talent Keith Ferguson (Bloo) and Tom Kenny (Mayor, Eduardo). Room 6A
    Categories: Animation | Kids | Television

11:45-12:15 Stargate MMO— After nearly 15 years on the air, the Stargate franchise is launching its first-ever multilevel online game, with all the elements—and more!—fans expect from the Stargate family. The key creative team from Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment and FireSky Studios present a compelling sneak-peek and answer questions. Panelists include Brad Wright (Stargate series’ co-creator, executive producer and writer) plus Dan Elggren (FireSky Studio head), Chris Klug (creative director), Howard Lyon (art director), and Demetrius Comes (director of technology). Ballroom 20
    Categories: Gaming | Science Fiction & Fantasy | Television

12:00-1:00 ABC Family: Samurai Girl— Based on a series of popular young adult novels, Samurai Girl tells the story of a 19-year-old Japanese girl named Heaven, who discovers that the wealthy businessman who adopted her as an infant is really the head of the Yakuza (the Japanese mafia) and may have had her beloved brother brutally murdered. She breaks from her family, begins training to become a samurai, and with the help of a group of new American friends sets out to take down her father's evil empire. The panel includes Jamie Chung (Real World), Brendan Fehr (Roswell), and Stacy Keibler (WWE)—along with executive producers Andre Nemec—Josh Applebaum,—and Luke McMullen (all from Alias). Samurai Girl will air as a special event premiering with six hours over three nights, on September 5, 6, and 7. Room 2
    Categories: Anime & Manga | Television

12:00-1:00 Costume Illustrators, Production Illustrators, and Concept and Storyboard Artists— The making of a film or television show is a collaborative process. Costume illustrators and concept and storyboard artists, brought onto productions to develop images under the guidance of the designers, serve a key position in the web of communication that is essential to filmmaking. This panel offers a glimpse into the fundamental importance of illustration as well as the seamless creativity between the key conceptual departments on favorite feature films and television productions. Moderator William David Hogan, director and storyboard artist (Into the Blue 2, Whiteout) will host costume illustrators from CDG, Local 892, including Oksana Nedavniaya (Narnia: Prince Caspian, Twilight), Phillip Boutte, Jr. (Star Trek 2009, Terminator 4), Felipe Sanchez (Speed Racer, Wolverine), and Christian Cordella (G.I. Joe, The Mummy 3), alongside illustrators and artists from Local 790: Ricardo Delgado (Age of Reptiles comics, Eagle Eye), Jeff Errico (Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, Crank), Tim Burgard (The Incredible Hulk, Wolverine), Mark Moretti (Valkyrie, The Day the Earth Stood Still), and Trevor Goring (The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Watchmen). Room 32AB
    Categories: Art and Illustration | Costuming | Movies | Television

12:15-1:15 Stargate Atlantis— With new allies and new challenges, Stargate Atlantis is making big waves in its action-packed fifth season. Be on hand for this exclusive panel discussion with the cast and creators of SCI FI’s hit series. Panelists include cast members Joe Flanigan, Robert Picardo, and Jewel Staite, and co-creator and executive producer Brad Wright. Moderated by Martin Gero, executive producer. Ballroom 20

12:30-1:15 Spaced— Actor/creator Jessica Hynes (Shaun of the Dead), actor/creator Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead), and director Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz) recall Spaced, the clever and edgy comedy series that started it all for the award-winning team behind Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. Plus: Q&A session. (Look for the Spaced screening tonight in the same room at 10:15PM!) Room 6A
    Categories: Fandom | Movies | Television

1:00-2:00 Production Designers— For the second consecutive year, Comic-Con attendees will have the opportunity to interact with a lineup of master production designers—the artists responsible for creating the looks of today’s most celebrated sci-fi/fantasy films and television. Organized by the Art Directors Guild, IATSE Local 800, these production designers will show clips, answer questions, and share their methods for creating imaginary worlds and convincing environments. Participating panelists (listed alphabetically) include Richard Hudolin (Battlestar Galactica, Caprica—BSG prequel), Alex McDowell (Watchmen, Corpse Bride), J. Michael Riva—(Iron Man, Spider-Man 3),—Barry Robison (Wolverine, The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader). Moderating the panel is John Muto, designer of Terminator 2 3D, Species, and Home Alone. Room 32AB
    Categories: Animation | Movies | Science Fiction & Fantasy | Television

1:15-2:00 Primeval— Actor Douglas Henshall gives you firsthand info about his leading role in BBC America’s new U.S. premiere sci-fi series Primeval, along with actors Juliet Aubrey and Karl Theobald. When evolutionary zoologist Nick Cutter (Henshall) discovers prehistoric creatures alive and well in the present day, the natural world is turned on its head and humanity faces a threat to its very existence. Followed by a Q&A session. Room 6A

1:45-2:45 Entertainment Weekly’s The Visionaries: Showrunners— Carlton Cuse (Lost), Damon Lindelof (Lost), Josh Schwartz (Chuck, Gossip Girl), Bryan Fuller (Pushing Daisies), and Josh Friedman (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles) are the television producers who are changing the face of television with deeply immersive entertainments marked by distinctive, cutting edge storytelling. They have also been at the forefront of bringing "genre programming" or "cult TV" to the mainstream. Prepare for a candid conversation about creative integrity in a commercial medium and the future of broadcast TV in an increasingly digital world. Spoiler Alert! Upcoming plot developments may be teased. Moderated by Entertainment Weekly senior writer Jeff Jensen. Room 6CDEF

1:45-2:30 Trailer Park— The Comic-Con perennial returns in a big—Hall H— way! See all the latest trailers for the biggest upcoming films, all in one handy-dandy timeslot. Hall H
    Categories: Movies | Television

2:00-3:00 That ’70s (Animation) Panel— Comic-Con special guest Mark Evanier talks to animation legends Joe Ruby and Ken Spears—of Ruby-Spears Productions—about their amazing output of television cartoon shows in the ’70s, ’80s, and beyond. Room 8
    Categories: Animation | Comic-Con Special Guest Spotlights & Appearances | Television

2:45-3:30 American Dad— Seth MacFarlane and the cast of the Fox animated hit reunite at Comic-Con to read a never-before-seen episode and take questions from the audience. Ballroom 20
    Categories: Animation | Television

3:00-4:00 SCI FI: Ghost Hunters— Is it in your head—or in your house? Find out during Comic-Con first ever panel discussion with Ghost Hunters’ Jason Hawes and Grant Wilson, stars of the #1 paranormal reality series on Wednesday nights. What you’ll hear is real—and scary. Moderated by James Hibberd (The Hollywood Reporter). Room 6B

3:30-4:15 Family Guy— Stars Seth MacFarlane and Seth Green and the producers of the Fox animated hit give fans a sneak peek at a never-before-seen episode and discuss the highly anticipated spinoff The Cleveland Show. Ballroom 20

4:30-5:30 Bones— Join the entire cast (David Boreanaz, Emily Deschanel, Michaela Conlin, Tamara Taylor, John Francis Daley) and creators Hart Hanson and Barry Josephson for an hour of behind-the-scenes secrets and the chance to ask them everything you always wanted to know about the hit Fox drama. Ballroom 20
    Categories: Horror and Suspense | Television

4:45-5:45 It’s a Great Comic-Con, Charlie Brown— Together for the first time at Comic-Con, Warner Home Video, United Media and the Schulz Estate bring you a Peanuts voice cast reunion in celebration of several great holiday DVD releases this September and October. Featuring Chris DeFaria (Peppermint Patty), Gabrielle DeFaria Ritter (Pigpen), Lisa DeFaria (Peppermint Patty), Sally Dryer (Violet and Lucy), Robin Kohn Glazer (Lucy), Jason Mendelson, Hilary Momberger (Sally), executive producer Lee Mendelson, and Jeannie Schulz, the wife of Charles M. Schulz. Room 6A
    Categories: Animation | Cartooning and Comic Strips | Kids | Television

5:00-6:00 Nickelodeon's Making Fiends Attacks Your Television— Meet the fiendish minds behind Nickelodeon’s upcoming show Making Fiends as they talk about translating the popular web series to the TV screen. Get an inside look at the series production from creator and voice of Charlotte, Amy Winfrey; character designer and voice of Vendetta, Aglaia Mortcheva; writer and voice of Grudge, Peter Merryman; and supervising producer Dave Wasson (Time Squad). See an exclusive sneak peek of the series, plus special bonus content and a behind-the-scenes look at how Making Fiends the TV series came to life. Moderated by Claudia Spinelli, executive in charge for Nickelodeon. Room 7AB
    Categories: Animation | Kids | Television

5:00-6:00 Masters of the Universe Classics Toy Line Update— Mattel is ecstatic to announce a brand new action figure line featuring highly detailed fully articulated characters from the entire MOTU—world aimed at the discriminating collector. Help celebrate the return of He-Man to toy shelves everywhere with a special screening of Episode 35: The Power of Grayskull, featuring Mattel's Comic-Con exclusive King Grayskull in his first starring roll. Then stay for an insightful Q & A with Mattel designers, marketing managers, and special guests, the Four Horsemen, for the latest news on this exciting new toy line. More info at Mattycollector.com. Room 8
    Categories: Action Figures, Toys and Collectibles | Animation | Kids | Television

5:30-6:15 [adult swim]’s The Venture Brothers— Jackson Publick (creator and voices of Hank Venture, The Monarch, Henchman 24, Pete White and Sgt. Hatred) and Mike Sinterniklaas (voice of Dean Venture) speak about [adult swim]’s original series, The Venture Brothers. Now in its third season, the show picked up after the explosive wedding of The Monarch and Dr. Girlfriend from the season two cliffhanger. Room 6B

5:30-6:30 24— It's been off the air since May, 2007 but Comic-Con fans will get the first look at the exciting prequel shot in South Africa and the upcoming 7th season of the Emmy winning Fox series, as well as chat with the executive producers and stars Kiefer Sutherland and Carlos Bernard. Room 6CDEF

5:30-6:30 SCI FI: Sanctuary Room— The incredible power of virtual set technology is unleashed in the all-new adventure series starring Amanda Tapping of Stargate fame. Find out how the show goes from green screen to small screen, and catch an exclusive look inside Sanctuary's unique and awe-inspiring world. Panelists include cast member and executive producer Amanda Tapping and executive producer Martin Wood. Room 30AB

6:00-7:00 Simpsons Collectors Group— Simpsons collectors of the world unite! Take a break from the busy Comic-Con floor and get a chance to meet some of your fellow collectors of Simpsons merchandise. Collectors from all over the country will be here. Meet the other Simpsons collectors you see on the message board and put faces to the names. This gathering— put on by the staff of the SimpsonsCollectors.com website—is a great chance to network with other collectors from across the country and share your hobby with others. Room 24A
    Categories: Action Figures, Toys and Collectibles | Animation | Fandom | Television

6:00-7:00 Exceeding Expectations and Exploring New Worlds: Feature Effects for the Small Screen— Zoic Studios moderates a discussion with VFX supervisors on their passion for creating narrative enhancing, eye-popping effects for television. Some of the best in the business discuss future trends as well as their contribution to the television series Heroes, Battlestar Galactica, The Middleman, Lost, Eureka, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Smallville, and the new fall show Fringe. Room 32AB
    Categories: Animation | Horror and Suspense | Science Fiction & Fantasy | Television

6:15-7:00 [adult swim]’s Robot Chicken— Seth Green and Matthew Senreich (creators/executive producers) speak about [adult swim]’s original series Robot Chicken. In its third season, the network’s Emmy-winning stop-motion and animation show known for its pop culture commentary has just released the episode Robot Chicken Star Wars on DVD. Room 6B

6:30-7:30 The Write Stuff: Working in Genre Television— Get the inside scoop on how to break in, break out, and deal with some incredibly stupid network notes. A panel of genre luminaries share their war stories and passion for genre storytelling with you in this once-in-a-lifetime summit of super sci-fi scribes who've turned their dreams into drama, including Javier Grillo-Marxuach (The Middleman), David Simkins (Warehouse 13, Dresden Files), Steve Kriozere (V.I.P, Sliders, Dead & Deader), Steve Melching (The Clone Wars, The Batman), Ashley Miller (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles), Matthew Federman (Jericho, E-Ring), Harry Werksman & Gabrille Stanton (Moonlight), and moderator Mark A. Altman (Geek Monthly). Room 5AB

6:30-7:15 Prison Break— In their first visit to Comic-Con, stars Wentworth Miller, Dominic Purcell and Sarah Wayne Callies and producers Matt Olmstead, Kevin Hooks, and Dawn Parouse give a special sneak peek at the show's upcoming fourth season and take questions from the audience. Room 6CDEF

6:30-7:30 Storyboarding: Earn over $100K— Mark Simon, author of Storyboards: Motion in Art, 3rd Edition, and an artist with over 2,500 productions to his credit, covers how to get started in storyboarding, three mistakes most new artists make, tips to double your business and will demonstrate the newest Storyboard Pro software. Room 30CDE
    Categories: Art and Illustration | Movies | Seminars & Workshops | Television

7:15-8:15 Mystery Science Theater 3000 20th Anniversary Reunion— From 1988 to 1999, the long-suffering captives aboard the Satellite of Love wisecracked their way through hundreds of cinema's problem children—those delirious B-movies of yesteryear created by twisted imaginations and, possibly, the need for a tax shelter. To celebrate the show's 20th Anniversary, join a historic reunion of cast and crew, including creator Joel Hodgson, producer Jim Mallon and fellow writer/performers Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, Trace Beaulieu, Frank Conniff, Mary Jo Pehl, Paul Chaplin, J. Elvis Weinstein, Bridget Nelson, and Bill Corbett for a Q&A panel hosted by self-professed "MST3K nerd" and comedian Patton Oswalt (The King of Queens). Room 6B
    Categories: Fandom | Movies | Nighttime Programming | Television

7:30-9:15 Nickelodeon Avatar: Sozin's Comet— Executive producer and creator team Bryan Konietzko and Mike DiMartino have built one of the most astonishingly complex and beautifully animated series in television with Nickelodeon's Avatar: The Last Airbender. Join Bryan, Mike, and Avatar director Joaquim Dos Santos (G.I. Joe Microseries) for a viewing of the exciting back-half of the Avatar season finale, "Sozin's Comet: Into the Inferno" and "Sozin's Comet: Avatar Aang," followed by a Q&A with the team as they discuss the rich mythology of the series, as well as a costume contest and fan art contest! Moderated by Roland Poindexter, VP, Nickelodeon original programming, animation. Room 6CDEF
    Categories: Animation | Anime & Manga | Art and Illustration | Costuming | Fandom | Nighttime Programming | Television

8:30-10:30 SCI FI Friday Night: Eureka and Stargate: Atlantis— SCI FI presents the season 3 premiere of Eureka a full three days before it airs! Also debuting will be a new episode of Stargate Atlantis, along exclusive clips from the new Scare Tactics. Attendees will receive a mini-issue of the SCI FI Virgin Comics sensation The Stranded (while supplies last). Room 6B
    Categories: Nighttime Programming | Science Fiction & Fantasy | Television

10:15-11:45 Spaced Screening— Actor/creator Jessica Hynes (Shaun of the Dead), actor/creator Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead), and director Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz) introduce a special late-night screening of their favorite episodes from the edgy British comedy series that started it all for the award-winning team behind Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. Room 6A
    Categories: Nighttime Programming | Television

akajaybay on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am going to have to make some strict schedules.

Lux on
    edited July 2008
    Um ok, movie tag without tv or comic books...
    How am I supposed to choose between some of this stuff?
    Just to clarify, still Friday
    10:00-11:00 TheOneRing.net: The Hobbit— Middle Earth returns with the announcement that The Hobbit will be developed into a feature film directed by Guillermo del Toro and produced by Peter Jackson. The world's largest Tolkien community, TheOneRing.net, takes you behind the scenes of the latest news, announcements, and rumors pertaining to the production of the new film. Chris Pirrotta (TheOneRing.net), Larry Curtis (TheOneRing.net), Cliff Broadway (TheOneRing.net), Kristin Thompson (The Frodo Franchise), and possible special guests present this early look at making The Hobbit happen! Room 32AB
    Categories: Movies | Science Fiction & Fantasy

10:50-11:35 Star Wars: The Clone Wars 3D Modeling— What gives The Clone Wars series its live action cinematic sensibility? The process is called 3D Story at Lucasfilm Animation. Learn how this innovative team of panelists worked together to redefine traditional storyboarding so that the majority of storytelling is now done in the computer. This panel will give you firsthand insights into the challenges the crew faced as they embarked on defining this new process, both technically and creatively, while training traditional and CG artists to combine skill sets and create a new process for television animation. Moderated by Catherine Winder, producer, The Clone Wars. Room 7AB 11:35-12:35 Industrial Light & Magic and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull— Academy award–winning visual effects house Industrial Light & Magic takes you behind the scenes of their work for the latest installment in the Indiana Jones series. You’ll get a firsthand look at how the effects were created and see what was involved in bringing Indy’s world to the big screen. Room 7AB

12:25-1:15 Star Wars: The Clone Wars: New Books Based on the Movie and TV Series— The Star Wars Saga continues with a wide variety of tie-in books for the groundbreaking new series, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, including novels, nonfiction, comics, and children's books. Please join Carol Roeder and Frank Parisi from Lucas Books, along with Karen Traviss (author of The Clone Wars novel from Del Rey), Henry Gilroy (author of The Clone Wars comic from Dark Horse), Jason Fry (author of The Clone Wars Visual Guide from DK Publishing), and Erin Dempsey (marketing director, Penguin Young Readers) for questions and answers—and a sneak peak at these must-have books! Moderated by Lucasfilm's Pablo Hidalgo. Room 7AB
    Categories: Fandom | Movies | Science Fiction & Fantasy
    1:00-2:00 Introducing Resident Evil: Degeneration— Producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi (Devil May Cry 4, Resident Evil 4) and director Makoto Kamiya (special effects director, L: Change the World, Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack) introduce the full-length CG-animated motion picture based on the popular Capcom video game franchise. Sony Pictures Home Entertainment invites you to be the first to see the film's revealing new trailer and take part in a Q&A session with the filmmakers. Room 2
    Categories: Gaming | Horror and Suspense | Movies

1:15-2:00 Hasbro: Star Wars and Indiana Jones— Derryl DePriest and Justin Kreter (Hasbro marketing), are joined by Brian Parrish, Mark Boudreaux, Dwight Stall, and Brian Wilk (Hasbro design) to talk about what the Hasbro design and marketing teams have in store for the remainder of 2008 in the Star Wars and Indiana Jones lines. Plus a special sneak peek into some 2009 secrets and a Q&A session! Room 7AB
    Categories: Action Figures, Toys and Collectibles | Fandom | Movies | Science Fiction & Fantasy

1:45-2:45 Ghostbusters: The Video Game— Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, and panelists from Sierra Entertainment and Sony Pictures Consumer Products discuss the eagerly anticipated Ghostbusters: The Video Game, due out this October. The panel focuses on what it takes to bring fans the next chapter in the Ghostbusters universe, including working with the original cast members and Sony Pictures Consumer Products to create a completely true and faithful interactive ghostbusting experience. Room 6B
    Categories: Fandom | Gaming | Movies | Science Fiction & Fantasy

4:00-5:00 Going Ape: Celebrating 75 Years of The Beast and The Beauty of King Kong— KONG! KONG! KONG! Our panel celebrates 75 years of one of cinema's most famous and most beloved beasties. Panelists take look back at the history of King Kong on-screen along with fun facts, reminiscences and anecdotes about the film that inspired many of us to become fans, filmmakers and fanatics. A panel of experts and fans is moderated by Mark A. Altman and Jeff Bond (Geek Monthly). Room 3

4:00-5:00 The Saga Continues: Star Wars 2008— For Star Wars fans it’s a stellar year, with the new Clone Wars movie on its way next month and great new Star Wars games from LucasArts to follow shortly. Lucasfilm’s Steve Sansweet will welcome Dave Filoni (director), Catherine Winder (producer), Henry Gilroy (co-writer), and Jason Tucker (editor) to talk about George Lucas’ ground-breaking new, fully animated movie, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, in theaters August 15. There’s news for video game fans too, on The Force Unleashed and The Clone Wars. Prepare for exciting, exclusive previews of the movie and the games too! Hall H
    Categories: Animation | Gaming | Kids | Movies | Science Fiction & Fantasy

4:15-5:15 Xbox LIVE Original Content Panel— You love the games, the TV, the movies, and Xbox LIVE Arcade, now see what is next. Get a sneak peak at the next generation of exciting original video content coming to Xbox LIVE worldwide. Meet the major Hollywood talent creating the content as they showcase their work, participate in a Q&A, and provide a few surprises. Room 6B
    Categories: Gaming | Movies

6:00-7:00 Star Wars Trivia— Members of the San Diego Star Wars Society, veteran hosts of great Star Wars trivia game shows at Comic-Con International, are planning another trivia challenge for all fans who think they know their stuff about the galaxy far, far away. Show off your Star Wars knowledge, and maybe win a Star Wars prize or two! Room 7AB
    Categories: Fandom | Kids | Movies | Science Fiction & Fantasy

6:30-8:00 Kevin Smith Makes a "Porno"— Well, not really, but for the umpteenth time, Smith is back at Comic-Con to talk movies, comics, and whatever else the audience wants to talk about. This year, he'll be highlighting his fall film, Zack and Miri Make a Porno, starring Seth Rogen and Elizabeth Banks. Expect some special guests. Hall H
    Categories: Fandom | Movies

10:45-12:00 Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog— The story of a low-rent supervillain (Neil Patrick Harris as Dr. Horrible), the hero who keeps beating him up (Nathan Fillion as Captain Hammer), and the cute girl from the laundromat he's too shy to talk to (Felicia Day as Penny). This musical in three parts, created for the Internet and written by Joss Whedon, Jed Whedon, Zack Whedon, and Maurissa Tancharoen, premieres in its entirety on the big screen at Comic-Con. Room 6B
    Categories: Fandom | Movies | Nighttime Programming

akajaybay on
    edited July 2008
    Ok anything I can find that I dont think I caught in the big 3 tags of comic, tv, and movies. Including the Penny Arcade panel.
    Friday
    7:00-8:00 Gaia Online: Kiki Kitty and Gaia Staff— Kiki Kitty and the Gaia Staff are hosting a special Gaia Online panel where Gaia Online members can meet each other and the staff and find out more about Gaia's newest games and features. In addition to hanging out with their fellow Gaians, all attendees will receive free gold and a limited-edition ring for Gaia's new MMO. All attendees will also have a chance to win a jumbo Kiki plushie and other great prizes! Room 5AB
    Categories: Fandom | Gaming | Nighttime Programming

7:15-8:15 Klingon Lifestyles Presentation— This latest mission for the crew of the IKV Stranglehold finds them seeking assistance from the last person in the universe they would ask for help, but is everyone who they say they are? Can they survive Rule of Acquisition number 218? All species are welcome to experience the ongoing voyage and adventure of life aboard a Klingon vessel. Room 6A
    Categories: Costuming | Fandom | Nighttime Programming | Science Fiction & Fantasy

9:30-10:30 Worst Cartoons Ever!— Animation historian Jerry Beck returns with some of the worst cartoons ever made. Learn how to be fit with Mighty Mr. Titan, follow the adventures of Super President, Spunky and Tadpole, and many more. Have a ball with the best/bad animation every. Room 6CDEF
    Categories: Animation | Fandom | Nighttime Programming

10:30-12:30 Spike & Mike: The Gauntlet—— You vote via applause and your reaction is the deciding factor as to whether an animatio keeps playing or whether it will make it into the next world tour. Gift Girls with swag! Animators include Mike Geiger (Cuddle Sticks), John Goras (Chirpy Returns), Joe Borelli (Artie’s Day Off), Ross Bollinger (The Mosquito Who Gave Up Blood), Stefan Schuch (Tinky Winky: Last of the Teletubbies), Jeff Chiba Stearns (Yellow Sticky Notes), Steve Fonti (Yes Timmy There Is a Santa Claus), Spike (Death to the Teletubbies), and Matthew Lee (Flock Off). Room 6CDEF
    Categories: Animation | Nighttime Programming

2:00-3:00 Meet the (Wannabe) Press: Get a Sneak Peek into the Minds Behind On the Bubble— This new weekly animated web series takes a snarky yet refreshing look at current news through the eyes of four irreverent wannabe reporters from Middle Town Community College. Comedy Central alum Adam de la Peña, creator of Code Monkeys and one of the warped minds behind Crank Yankers and Minoriteam, unveils his new show. De la Peña is joined by Worldwide Biggies CEO Albie Hecht (SpongeBob SquarePants) and animation director Mark Salisbury (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), to give a behind-the-scenes peek into the latest technology used to produce this weekly show. Sierra Mist executives will also be on hand to shed light on the new wave of brand-produced entertainment. The Q&A session will provide insightful tips on getting creative ideas greenlit by major brands eager to discover and invest in up-and-coming comedic talent. The panel also includes On the Bubble voice talent Dana Synder (Master Shake on Adult Swim’s Aqua Teen Hunger Force) and Jordan Black (MadTV). The first 250 attendees will receive a free exclusive Comic-Con On the Bubble premium. Room 7AB
    Categories: Animation | Webcomics

5:30-6:30 Intern Etiquette: The Dos and Don’ts of Interning for Animation— Josh Lieberman (Cartoon Network’s Cartoonstitute), Mike Collins (Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends),—Sean Cole (Dreamwork’s How to Train Your Dragon), and Alana Bubis (Madagascar) are prepared to discuss all aspect of interning for a major animation studio: how to secure an internship, the dos and don’ts, and ultimately how to turn them into work. Room 30CDE
    Categories: Animation | Seminars & Workshops

6:00-7:00 State of the Animation Industry— Get a look at trends in the animation industry with a panel of industry professionals from all branches of animation. Panelists include Tom Sito (Who Killed Roger Rabbit, The Lion King, Osmosis Jones),—Jorge R. Gutierrez (creator/executive producer, El Tigre), Lennie Graves (supervising animator, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone video game; animator, The Iron Giant), Aki Umemoto (creative director, Mattel for 25 years; Apache Films), Ryan Ball (editor, Animation magazine), and moderator animation educator Larry Loc. Room 3
    Categories: Animation | Anime & Manga | Gaming

10:00-11:00 VIZ Media’s Shonen Jump Panel— Not only does 2008 mark the 5th anniversary of the magazine, but it is also the 40th anniversary of Japan's largest manga magazine, Weekly Shonen Jump—the source of some of the world's most popular manga. These double milestones mean loads of events and announcements, some exclusive to San Diego Comic-Con! Don't miss out on this opportunity to meet the editors and find out what they've got up their sleeves for 2009. Room 2
    Categories: Anime & Manga

11:00-12:00 LEGO and BrickJournal: Brave New World— See what grown-ups and "big kids" are doing with LEGO today and what fuels them to never put the brick down! With notable guests including Joe Meno, editor and creator of BrickJournal, the magazine for adult fans of LEGO; expert builders Bryce McGlone and Brandon Griffith; and female builder Jessi Pastor. This panel showcases amazing examples of how they put their LEGO building talents to use! Dust off those old bricks in your basement and join the brave new world of LEGO builders! Room 4
    Categories: Action Figures, Toys and Collectibles | Fandom

11:00-12:00 Masquerade 101— Want to learn more about convention costume contests? Thinking about taking your creations onto the stage? Looking for ideas to enhance your presentations? Curious what goes on behind the scenes? Comic-Con Masquerade director Martin Jaquish, award-winning fan costumer and professional prop maker Andrea Davis, and Masquerade assistant John Ruff offer an overview of on-stage costume competitions and present tips for getting the most out of your costuming experience. Room 32AB
    Categories: Costuming | Fandom | Seminars & Workshops

2:00-3:00 Capcom: How to Get A Job in the Video Game Industry— Video game giant Capcom presents a panel of respected video game industry veterans to deliver an overview of the wide variety of career opportunities within the industry, personal tales of how they got in, and tips and suggestions for those who want to. Panelists include Chris Charla (VP, business development, Foundation 9—Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix), Morgan Gray (producer, Dark Void), Grant Luke (senior product manager, Street Fighter IV), Francis Mao (Capcom senior director, creative services and former creative director for GamePro magazine), and Tim Ng (Capcom associate public relations manager). Q&A session to round out the presentation. Room 2
    Categories: Gaming | Seminars & Workshops

5:30-6:30 Penny Arcade— The creators of Penny Arcade are on hand for a one-hour open Q&A session about the game industry, their own foray into making games, PAX, webcomics, Child’s Play, and more! (Please do not bring them food. They do not know any better and will, in fact, eat it.) Room 5AB
    Categories: Gaming | Webcomics

11:30-12:30 Hey Kids, the First One's in the Library— Children's authors discuss the joys of writing for that audience and ways to captivate their young readers. Panelists include Frank Beddor (The Looking Glass Wars), Martin Baynton (Jane and the Dragon), PJ Haarsma (The Softwire), D.J. MacHale (Pendragon: Rave Rise), Rebecca Moesta (Crystal Doors), James Owen (Here, There Be Dragons), and Michael Reisman (Simon Bloom, the Gravity Keeper). Moderated by Maryelizabeth Hart of Mysterious Galaxy. Room 5AB
    Categories: Comic-Con Special Guest Spotlights & Appearances | Horror and Suspense | Kids | Science Fiction & Fantasy

3:00-4:00 Spotlight on James Warren— he legendary publisher of Famous Monsters of Filmland, Creepy, Eerie, and Vampirella joins Comic-Con in a rare convention appearance! Jim Warren celebrates the 50th anniversary of FM along with the legendary Hollywood makeup artist Verne Langdon, also a Comic-Con special guest! Famous Monsters fans will recognize Langdon’s name from the pages of that beloved magazine. Room 4
    Categories: Comic-Con Special Guest Spotlights & Appearances | Horror and Suspense | Science Fiction & Fantasy

5:00-6:00 Mythology, Secret Societies and Lost Civilizations— A discussion of authors incorporating Atlantis, Angels, and Abel's murder weapon into their fiction. Panelists include Alex Archer (Rogue Angel), Thomas Greanias (Raising Atlantis, The Atlantis Prophecy), Christopher Moore (Lamb, A Dirty Job), Thomas Sniegoski (A Kiss Before the Apocalypse), and Michael Spradlin (The Youngest Templar: Keeper of the Grail). Moderated by Maryelizabeth Hart of Mysterious Galaxy. Room 2
    Categories: Horror and Suspense | Science Fiction & Fantasy

6:30-7:30 What's Up with Penguin— Anne Sowards (senior editor, Ace/Roc), Lisa DeGroff (marketing manager, Penguin Young Readers), and Jessica Wade (associate editor, Ace/Roc) give you the dish on forthcoming books from Penguin’s exciting authors, including Jim Butcher, Charlaine Harris, Patricia Briggs, Charles Stross, Kelly Link, Robin McKinley, Allegra Goodman, and many others. Plus, lots of giveaways, including free advance reading copies! Room 10
    Categories: Comic-Con Special Guest Spotlights & Appearances | Horror and Suspense | Science Fiction & Fantasy

12:30-1:30 Spotlight on Connie Willis— Time travel, hula hoops, flying saucers, church choirs, and other proofs of Chaos Theory in action! Multiple Nebula and Hugo Award–winning science fiction author and Comic-Con special guest Connie Willis (Doomsday Book, To Say Nothing of the Dog) reveals the outer reaches and inner secrets of writing science fiction. Room 10
    Categories: Comic-Con Special Guest Spotlights & Appearances | Science Fiction & Fantasy

1:00-2:00 Looking at Our World: Eye on the Present— Authors discuss how they use the supernatural in stories of contemporary society. Panelists include Kelley Armstrong (Women of the Otherworld), L. A. Banks (The Vampire Huntress Legend Series), Kate Brallier (The Boundless Deep), Marjorie M. Liu (The Iron Hunt), C. E. Murphy (The Negotiator Trilogy), Justine Musk (Lord of Bones), Lilith Saintcrow (The Dante Valentine Series), and moderator Samantha Sommersby (Forbidden: The Revolution). Room 3
    Categories: Science Fiction & Fantasy

4:00-5:00 Spotlight on Robert J. Sawyer— Comic-Con special guest Robert J. Sawyer is one of only seven writers in history to win all three of science-fiction's top awards for best novel of the year: the Hugo, the Nebula, and the John W. Campbell Memorial Award. His latest novel, Rollback, has earned him his 11th Hugo nomination. Join him for a one-on-one Q&A session about the world of print SF. Room 4
    Categories: Comic-Con Special Guest Spotlights & Appearances | Science Fiction & Fantasy

I think that's all of it. If anyone want to try and collate it all into time order be my guest.

akajaybay on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    7:15-8:15 Klingon Lifestyles Presentation— This latest mission for the crew of the IKV Stranglehold finds them seeking assistance from the last person in the universe they would ask for help, but is everyone who they say they are? Can they survive Rule of Acquisition number 218? All species are welcome to experience the ongoing voyage and adventure of life aboard a Klingon vessel. Room 6A
    Categories: Costuming | Fandom | Nighttime Programming | Science Fiction & Fantasy

jesus christ

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

jesus christ

I make it a point to go every year. It's wonderfully awful. Terrible Star Trek fan fics performed by hideously untalented actors who don't know how to read off of teleprompters. It's great as a warm-up act for Worst Cartoons Ever and Spike & Mike.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited July 2008
    How the hell am I supposed to choose between the PA panel and the Venture Brothers panel? GAH!!!

digital.aaron on
    edited July 2008
    Yeah I know I'm going to have to let alot of things go. Going to be hard to choose what I really want to see most.

Avatar panel vs totally rad show vs kevin smith vs mst3000 :(

Not to mention Spaced screening with the gang who made it vs Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog and the gang who made it vs my ability to go all day and all night and still be able to do stuff the next also likely jam packed day.

I've yet to find anything on Lost or the Star Trek film. So those are further in.

akajaybay on
    edited July 2008
    I've yet to find anything on Lost or the Star Trek film. So those are further in.

I'd imagine those would be on Saturday.

digital.aaron on
  • reminderGTOreminderGTO Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lux wrote: »
    I am going to have to make some strict schedules.

Yeah but what sucks is you end up missing a lot of panels just to wait in line for a certain panel. That really killed my ComicCon experience last year.

reminderGTO on
    28qsde.gifZOGBY projects McCain win with 400+ EVs28qsde.gif
  • QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah I know I'm going to have to let alot of things go. Going to be hard to choose what I really want to see most.

I am in the same exact boat

Qorzm on
  • SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This is my first Comic-Con.

Wait holy shit, there is a PA panel?

EDIT: also, is there any chance of a PA get together or meet up whilst at the convention?

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Qorzm wrote: »

I am in the same exact boat

Well, the avatar panel will be fantastic but something I am considering missing. People are going to be showing up for that super early, and it starts immediately after the Adult Swim panel. The series will have been over for a week anyways so it's not like they're gonna have new information for us.

Unless they want to talk about the movie. But they would have mentioned that.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg