As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moment of the Week: 7/2/08

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh yeah, Walking Dead #50 came out and it wasn't anything to write home about at all. In fact it was super fucking boring.

I'm starting to not really know what to think about Kirkman. On one hand he pulls off some awesome stuff but I just find he tries to flip off convention a bit too much. I'm sure his thinking in writing #50 was "Everyone will be expecting something huge to happen so instead I'll have Carl go outside and then COME BACK INSIDE. Fuck you people."

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This week has been kinda slow, nothing great but all okay though I guess I liked this week's Cable issue, will have to get the next one to see what happens next.

My moment of the week though goes to old comics I got this week, the Captain American issue from Cable and Deadpool, and the first issue of the Taskmaster mini series.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm of the same mind as Bale and CoJoe, regarding Morrison's Batman run. Maybe it's as simple as Andy Kubert and JH Williams III are better visual storytellers than Tony Daniels, and that covered up some of Morrison's deficiences.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I'm just sayin I dont like when Morrisson gets all super weird
    no offense, but that's sort of what makes Morrison awesome.

also you're saying Club of Heroes wasn't wacky silver age stuff?

Sars_Boy on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

well we've pretty much established that I'm not a huge fan of his anyway.

and I didnt find Club of Heroes this wacky no.

I mean the other Heroes were silly but they were presented in a grounded way.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I haven't read any of the silver age Batman books, but I had an appreciation for the Club of Heroes arc. I like it when B and C list heroes and villains are used.

Also, if you hadn't noticed, Morrison LOVES to dig up old forgotten characters. Libra and Human Flame or whatever that guy's name is are both re-imagined silver age characters. I really liked that DC Universe Special that they ran a month or two back that had the original Libra issue and the original issue where MM defeats Human Flame.

Lucascraft on
    edited July 2008

haven't you only read his X-Men or something?

im giving you a prescription for all 3 Animal Man trades STAT

Sars_Boy on
    edited July 2008

haven't you only read his X-Men or something?

im giving you a prescription for all 3 Animal Man trades STAT

I havent read his Vertigo stuff, maybe I would like that better.

But as far as his superhero stuff I've read Batman, All-Star Superman, Seven Soldiers, X-Men, some of his JLA, and 52.

But we're talking about Batman, not some crazy vertigo book. If I want insanity Batman is not where I want to look.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    animal man wasn't vertigo when it was being published

whatever, i suppose you just want superdark ultra ninja badass batman with prep time

ill be over reading original stories that develop the character

i think people are overreacting to this issue anyway, but it is the internet, that magical place where baseless speculation becomes fact

Sars_Boy on
    edited July 2008
    I think what I've said is my biggest problem with him is how he throws just so much weird stuff into every single thing.

It's like me makes a list of the 100 most bizarre ideas he's had that day before he writes every issue and makes a point to include every one.

Like Chris Claremont on LSD.

I just don't like that kind of storytelling.

Seven Soldiers is a pretty good example of everything I don't like about Morrison. (and from what I've heard/seen, same with Final Crisis)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    yeah i'd just quit batman for now if I where you

ssv was fantastic

what was that weird about it anyway?

Sars_Boy on
    edited July 2008

whatever, i suppose you just want superdark ultra ninja badass batman with prep time

i think people are overreacting to this issue anyway, but it is the internet, that magical place where baseless speculation becomes fact

Your speculation about how this is going to be some magical growth of the Bruce Wayne character dosen't have anymore base than the other side. You are basing it on your love of Morrison, which is fine - but I don't like his stuff nearly as much as you do, so I have concerns.

And no thats not really what I want out of Batman.

Its possible to do original stories and character development without drug trips and pyschotic episodes of alien Batmen.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008

Your speculation about how this is going to be some magical growth of the Bruce Wayne character dosen't have anymore base than the other side. You are basing it on your love of Morrison, which is fine - but I don't like his stuff nearly as much as you do, so I have concerns.
    actually im basing it on what he has said in interviews

but yeah okay

Sars_Boy on
    edited July 2008
    why you gotta be like that Sars.

I havent given up on the story, but it certainly hasn't been what I hoped it would be so far.

Why am I not allowed to be concerned when a run I have been enjoying for the most part up to now seems to be heading in a direction I don't like?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    because i like arguing with you and i'm in a pissy mood since i broke my elbow

also i care less about feelings when im on vicodin

Sars_Boy on
    edited July 2008
    What did you think of AXM #25

how much will I hate it

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Now make out.

Furu on
    edited July 2008
    What did you think of AXM #25

how much will I hate it
    i thought it was neat

emma sounded a bit ellis-y but then i suppose whedon put his character tropes in AXM too

overall: B

also Ellis gets storm and wakanda and I think i'd like to see him on BP

Sars_Boy on
    edited July 2008
    If Ellis can make me care about Storm I will take back at least 10% of all the terrible things I've said about him

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    hes doing a better job than hudlin

Sars_Boy on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    AXM was pretty average for the pedigree of the book. Didn't even have the typical Ellis wit or dialogue. Pretty big departure from the Whedon / Cassaday run.

And I agree with you, Bale, about the whole RIP stuff. It's like throwing shit at the wall and hoping something sticks for this arc. We've already seen Batman doing drugs and overcoming dependancies and acitng insane before, so it's not some new ground Morrison is covering and his reliance on the most obscure Silver Age stories for the main plot of the story is in no way comparable to the enjoyable League of Batmen arc that was stilla story about Batman.

This is just some LCD induced Morrison nightmare the editors should have exercised some control on midway through. Shame since I loved the first part of his run.

KVW on
    edited July 2008
    See I dont feel as strongly about it as KVW

I am simply concerned

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    hes doing a better job than hudlin

well I mean its not like I read Hudlin's Black Panther

but even back before Chris Claremont died and he was writing the definitive X-Men, I still didnt give a shit about Storm.

so if Ellis makes me care I will be impressed

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    KVW wrote: »
    AXM was pretty average for the pedigree of the book. Didn't even have the typical Ellis wit or dialogue. Pretty big departure from the Whedon / Cassaday run.

And I agree with you, Bale, about the whole RIP stuff. It's like throwing shit at the wall and hoping something sticks for this arc. We've already seen Batman doing drugs and overcoming dependancies and acitng insane before, so it's not some new ground Morrison is covering and his reliance on the most obscure Silver Age stories for the main plot of the story is in no way comparable to the enjoyable League of Batmen arc that was stilla story about Batman.

This is just some LCD induced Morrison nightmare the editors should have exercised some control on midway through. Shame since I loved the first part of his run.
    we have? I haven't

ps why does everyone act like Batman shot up smack?

his enemies put it in him

the bad guys did bad things

Sars_Boy on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    KVW wrote: »

Monitors very rarely cause insanity.

mattharvest on
    edited July 2008
    so i just read FF 558

what the fuck?

Sars_Boy on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man, I loved Seven Soldiers.

My only concern with Morrison's Batman is that explaining away the insane campy Batman adventures as drug trips is sort of a "well duh" answer. Did you guys know he finally has a proper website?
    What else? It’s been hectic but I’m having a good time doing these ‘Final’ storylines for Superman, Batman and the DC Universe itself. I want to end on a couple of big, definitive stories before I take a break from superheroes for a little while and I’m really happy with the way all of these are turning out. BATMAN is practically writing himself, to my constant surprise and delight. I just finished the script for #680, ‘the thin white duke of death’ with one of the best cliffhangers I’ve ever done, I reckon.

Can YOU guess the identity of the Black Glove? I keep thinking it’s so upfront, so obvious, that readers will inevitably demand an impromptu hanging when the reveal is revealed but, as ever, the looming possibility of public execution is part of the fun of writing BATMAN. Issue 678 is my gift to fans of the Dark Knight who’ve always dreamed of seeing a strung-out, psychologically-pulverized Bruce Wayne staggering across Gotham City in search of a heroin dealer. Holy Harry the horse, Batman!

And since I know every living thing is crouched with bated breath for his return…NO, there’s no Joker yet. He’s coming in #679 and will, of course, stride like a colossus across #680, the issue before the FINAL revelation of the identity of the Black Glove.

Lux on
    edited July 2008
    black glove is darkseid

calling dis

Sars_Boy on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Buffy was amazing this week, as usual.
    I'll kill you like a chicken.

Mai-Kero on
    edited July 2008
    black glove is darkseid

calling dis

he's the real Batman from Zur enn rah or whatever

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Black Glove is the son of Joe Chill.

Or Alfred, in his Outsider persona, as foreshadowed by the comment about allowing Bruce to stay serve as the butler.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2008
    Billy Batson & the Magic of Shazam! is such a fun little book. I don't really like that Black Adam is a kid, but I can see how it's kind of necessary for a kid's book. I love the art design, but sometimes it's a bit too sketchy for my tastes. Some of the faces are hilarious, though.

Having Captain Marvel put on a suit to pretend to be Billy and Mary's dad is the best idea I've never seen used in a Shazam story

Garlic Bread on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My MotW: JONAH HEX #33, with a terrific story and great art.

jh33p15bd8.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Did anyone catch Astonishing Wolfman this week? This issue actually managed to make up for the lackluster run so far and finally sets up a fairly interesting premise. I think Kirkman finally accepted his pacing has been crap, so he crammed the rest of the slow build into this issue so he can get on with the story I think he was working towards.

werehippy on
  • NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    werehippy wrote: »
    Did anyone catch Astonishing Wolfman this week? This issue actually managed to make up for the lackluster run so far and finally sets up a fairly interesting premise. I think Kirkman finally accepted his pacing has been crap, so he crammed the rest of the slow build into this issue so he can get on with the story I think he was working towards.

Yeah, this.

I've been trying to decide since the beginning how I feel about Wolfman. The story was up and down in the first few issues, but its been coming together in the past three. The last issue pretty much has me interested in whatever else hes going to be doing.

Newtron on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Newtron wrote: »
    werehippy wrote: »

Yeah, this.

I've been trying to decide since the beginning how I feel about Wolfman. The story was up and down in the first few issues, but its been coming together in the past three. The last issue pretty much has me interested in whatever else hes going to be doing.

I get the feeling Kirkman was trying to do here what he did in Invincible, where the first dozen issues were almost entirely different from what the book actually became. The only problem was the beginning of Invincible was actually good, while this has been so-so at best.

At least the hook is actually interesting now, so there's that.

werehippy on
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lux wrote: »
    Issue 678 is my gift to fans of the Dark Knight who’ve always dreamed of seeing a strung-out, psychologically-pulverized Bruce Wayne staggering across Gotham City in search of a heroin dealer. Holy Harry the horse, Batman!

um, what?

so that issue is for like, 6 people?

PantheraOnca on
    edited July 2008
    Self-conscious humor, Panthera.

Robos A Go Go on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    From The Astounding Wolf-Man; major spoiler.
    wolfman21ei7.jpg

From Manhunter.
    Jaime sees his first mutilated corpse.
    manhunter12gg8.jpg

I love Mr. Bones when he's sassy.
    manhunter11xu9.jpg

Munch on
    edited July 2008
    Oh shit, I need some context on Wolfman. I quit after the first issue.

Robos A Go Go on