As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[AOC] This Is The New AOC Thread. (Post July 2 Patch the enabled mounts pooping)

eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
edited July 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
Hi there.

I hear some of us still play Age of Conan.

I've been playing in short bursts, around the level 62 area in thunder river, generally ganking the hell out of everyone and everything.

With the "lack of content", we've still got a great sandbox (pvp servers) to make our own game in.

So yeah, sup. Level 62. Let's talk about how we gon' get to 80 in time for that pvp system they was talkin bout.

Cheeeeeea. :winky:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
eatmosushi on

• GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I got my barb to 60ish... then I couldnt stand the grind, and rerolled what was ultimately decided one of the weakest classes, a Dark Templar, for the challenge. He now sits at 62. Rolled a Bear Shaman cuz I wanted a healer, but god I cannot stand casters in this game, and he's a lot of fun. Got him to 45 last night. My barb, meanwhile somehow got to 67 in between my alts. I expect the nerfbat for him, but any fixing of the Barbarian tree so I'm not just spamming CoS and switching to a 2H when I wanna stun people would be cool even if I do take a dps nerf.

How am I gonna get to 80? Very slowly if there's no more quests. I looooatthe grinding. But I'm sticking with it, got the alt-itis fever brewin' up. Maybe I'll even bite the bullet and roll a caster after the Bear Shaman Rawr gets to 60ish. A HoX counts as a caster, right? Right?!

Galielmus on
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    A Hox counts as a delicious instrument of death.

We got it -all-. A talented stun, a root, a fear, and FIRE LANCE.

It's a 2 step combo that deals roughly 300-300-300-300 (without any of the modifiers you can cast, like demonform(+10-20%) and Exultation (+15%), and not being behind someone.)

I got a crit chain on a necro last night for 900-900-900-900. I stunned him, slipped behind him,and let loose the firelance goodness.

We're super squishy though - so it sort of plays out like this:

Your demon form is on a 2min cd, last roughly 20 seconds.

So you're relatively vulnerable for 1:40 every 2 mins. You can still dish out loads of damage, but without your stun or massive damage buff, your output is easily mitigated by pots and people sprinting away.

HoX are truly blessed in this game at the moment. With the correct strategy, it can win ANY fight 1v1. You just gotta scrap that shit out and move your shields properly vs whatever class you're facing. A barb that has to CoS into 3 shields is very unhappy, just like a ranger that has to salvo into 3 shields, and I've found all necro melee pets hit over-head, so move all shields there. and now you just have to deal with their piles of fears and snares and massive ammounts of life-regen + potions.....

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
    edited July 2008
    A Demo also whispered me that he was going to report me for exploiting when I Purged his Gates of Hell.

Cheeeeeeeeeea.

eatmosushi on
  • RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I made an assassin on a pvp server (deathwhisper). They are pretty good. Then again, all classes are pretty good at level 10.

Rivulent on
    edited July 2008
    Fact: rangers arent good at any level

eatmosushi on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Damn. I've realised i've played so little the last two weeks that every time i logged in it had to patch. Time to start playing more i think. Maybe even try and get my bear shaman to level 40 so he can mount a rhino. Oh yes!

Lly on
    edited July 2008
    So........... the last patch has made my client bug out more than ever. I have never really had issues except low fps, but now it freezes randomly, and just now half the landscape was a strobe light effect of bright red and green. Very entertaining.

Lly on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So in the last thread I was asking if any of the PA guilds are still active, and no one answered.

Should I assume that they're pretty much dead in the water, then? I was really hoping to join one but it seems like a lot of people have left or something.

LockedOnTarget on
    edited July 2008
    I know that there are no EU PA guilds at all, no idea about the US ones.

Lly on
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So in the last thread I was asking if any of the PA guilds are still active, and no one answered.

Should I assume that they're pretty much dead in the water, then? I was really hoping to join one but it seems like a lot of people have left or something.

Last I checked Broodax Imperiate on Stormrage(PvP) regularly had at least 5 people almost consistently on, this was last weekend. I don't know about the PvE guild on Thog.

Geod on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Geod wrote: »

Last I checked Broodax Imperiate on Stormrage(PvP) regularly had at least 5 people almost consistently on, this was last weekend. I don't know about the PvE guild on Thog.

The PVE guild on thog seems to mostly be filled with people who don't play a ton, and as such, the numbers fluctuate a LOT.

Last night, I was the only one on after 9:30 EST, it's possible that some people who can play earlier were on and logged off. However, sometimes, there are quite a few people on. Mostly, I think the people left in AoC are the ones who don't play enough to get frustrated with its bugs and design flaws. I still enjoy it, but if my RL friends quits (also in thog guild, but plays less than i do), I'll probably head out too.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I did respond the thog people fluctuate. I wasn't online last night part because of the patch part because I didn't want to get wrapped up in the game for the evening.

Send Valerind a tell if you want an invite.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • naturalchaosnaturalchaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lly wrote: »
    So........... the last patch has made my client bug out more than ever. I have never really had issues except low fps, but now it freezes randomly, and just now half the landscape was a strobe light effect of bright red and green. Very entertaining.

For anyone with Vista, or at the very least Vista 64, I fixed a majority of my performance issues by uninstalling SP1. I don't know what MS did in that service pack but by getting rid of it I got a 30-50% improvement in my FPS.

naturalchaos on
  • JackanapesJackanapes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Holy Mother of Grud... so I caved and bought this game last night... its 30 freakin' GB! And talk about slow install... that sorta malarkey needs to be in the OP to warn us :D

I would have thought Funcom would have learnt a few lessons from AO, but the AOC launch might be even worse than AO. And thats saying something. Patching the game whilst Im at work, so hopefully Ill be able to play when I get home this evening.

Jackanapes on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2008
    Actually the launch went pretty smoothly, it's just the post-launch issues that people are on both sides of the fence about.

Unknown User on
    edited July 2008
    Well, Im not deluding myself. I dont intend to start a long-term relationship with AoC. This is merely a tawdry, sexual affair whilst I await the arrival of my dream girl, Warhammer.

And if I can have a little fun with a Bear Shaman, or a Barbarian before she arrives... well, who's to say that Im wrong, eh? Its not like Im engaged to Warhammer... I can still play the field, dammit!

Jackanapes on
  • KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So... you just bought the game and haven't installed it yet and you declare the launch worse than AO? That is possibly one of the most ridiculous things I have read in a while.

Also, the launch went very smoothly. Just because it is a large game doesn't make the launch bad.

Karrmer on
  • Super_HappySuper_Happy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Jackanapes wrote: »
    Well, Im not deluding myself. I dont intend to start a long-term relationship with AoC. This is merely a tawdry, sexual affair whilst I await the arrival of my dream girl, Warhammer.

And if I can have a little fun with a Bear Shaman, or a Barbarian before she arrives... well, who's to say that Im wrong, eh? Its not like Im engaged to Warhammer... I can still play the field, dammit!

Thats exactly what I'm planing to do. Poor AOC, just a (not so) cheep slut to satisfy us before being cast aside
    for WAR.

Super_Happy on
    edited July 2008
    Karrmer wrote: »
    So... you just bought the game and haven't installed it yet and you declare the launch worse than AO? That is possibly one of the most ridiculous things I have read in a while.

Ah, my fine feathered friend! It may well indeed be the most ridiculous thing youve read in awhile - Im not familiar with your reading habits :P However, I did not in fact make the declaration that you have declared I made. In fact, my statement was maybe it was worse. Obviously, I wouldnt leap to any conclusions since I havent played the game.

Though I should note my brother has just called me to state that he has encountered a particular bug - apparently well known - that requires a reinstall and re-patching of the client. Needless to say, he is not happy :lol: and has some valid (and calm) points to make about the state of this game at launch.

I should note that 'launch' for both he and I indicates the first six or so months - as the game gets its footing - not purely the technical launch.

Jackanapes on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    As I recently purchased a new and massively upgraded rig, I thought I'd take a look at AoC again, having ignored it since beta. The combat system didn't do it for me, but, I thought, a trial might be worth checking again on equipment that can handle it.

I saw impressions on this thread. Dug around the web for post-launch reviews and general state of the game.

D:

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Don't be put off too easily. It is a fun game for a while, i still enjoy it but mainly because i don't have that much time to play, so i don't get burned out. It doesn't feel like it has a long term appeal though. Thank god for WAR.

Lly on
  • Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I'm wondering this myself, and I'm in the Stormrage PA guild, Broodax Imperiate. The fact is that first the high level members abandoned us (defected to Sacrilege), then the officers stopped showing, so we couldn't invite anyone else. Kinda got pork-roasted from both sides, if you know what I mean. There are still members, but they rarely show.

I'm personally working on getting a few of the last of us into the same guild our other members defected to, Sacrilege. Unfortunately, their recruitment is closed for the time being, so anyone after us might not be able to get in, even if they're friends. But don't give up hope. Add my character as a friend (Dahlya) and I'll see what I can do. At the very least we can still quest together.

Edit: Wait... horses poop now?

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • iKantiKant Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Does anyone know anything about a free trial? I've been looking everywhere on the internets for a code or download so I can check out the gameplay and see if my rig can handle it. Last thing I want to do is drop $60 on a game that runs @ 10fps..

iKant on
    edited July 2008
    All the boxes came with a blank buddy key, no free trials yet. And I abhor the day they come out, I already get a ton of gold farmer spam in both my tell log when I log on and my mail box. Ugh.

But yeah, launch actually went really smooth and it was awesome. Then people started getting to 60 and were like... wtf... Where'd all my quests go?! Why are all my feats broken?! Arrggghh... but they made everyone happy, they added a Dancing skill. That solved the problems.

Damn, I cant seem to talk about this game without getting angry. I mean, I like it too, which is the hard part. Just cant play it nonstop, cuz there isnt anywhere to go with it. Fun stuff for the casual gamer, probably not so much for the hardcore MMO-obsessed folk until they add some more content and something to do at endgame.

Galielmus on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yes, but did you try dance combos?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    iKant wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about a free trial? I've been looking everywhere on the internets for a code or download so I can check out the gameplay and see if my rig can handle it. Last thing I want to do is drop $60 on a game that runs @ 10fps..

No free trial, no invite-a-friend trial yet either.

zilo on
    edited July 2008
    Granted, the Cimmerian dancing is pretty sweet. Stygians and particularly Aquilonians are kinda mneh, but then again, the entire concept behind Aquilonia is kind of mneh.

Galielmus on
  • King Boo HooKing Boo Hoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    A Hox counts as a delicious instrument of death.

We got it -all-. A talented stun, a root, a fear, and FIRE LANCE.

It's a 2 step combo that deals roughly 300-300-300-300 (without any of the modifiers you can cast, like demonform(+10-20%) and Exultation (+15%), and not being behind someone.)

I got a crit chain on a necro last night for 900-900-900-900. I stunned him, slipped behind him,and let loose the firelance goodness.

We're super squishy though - so it sort of plays out like this:

Your demon form is on a 2min cd, last roughly 20 seconds.

So you're relatively vulnerable for 1:40 every 2 mins. You can still dish out loads of damage, but without your stun or massive damage buff, your output is easily mitigated by pots and people sprinting away.

HoX are truly blessed in this game at the moment. With the correct strategy, it can win ANY fight 1v1. You just gotta scrap that shit out and move your shields properly vs whatever class you're facing. A barb that has to CoS into 3 shields is very unhappy, just like a ranger that has to salvo into 3 shields, and I've found all necro melee pets hit over-head, so move all shields there. and now you just have to deal with their piles of fears and snares and massive ammounts of life-regen + potions.....

We are not just vulnerable for 1:40 as HoX's, at least not the ones that spec right :-p
    Most HoX's go Avatar, because, well, turning into a demon is awesome.
    So, specced right, here's what you have as for demon form:

Desecrating essence (spell), 25 seconds, 2 minute cooldown.
    Demon within, 5 point feat, +12 seconds Desecrating Essence (37 seconds, 120 second cooldown)
    Desecration, 5 point feat, -30 seconds cooldown for Desecrating Essence (37 seconds, 90 second cooldown)
    Avatar of Xotli (spell), 35 seconds, 5 minute cooldown.
    Demonic supplication, 3 point fear, +45 seconds on your next desecrating essence or +25 seconds on your next avatar, but the cooldown on the feat is 15 min.

The feats arent out of the way either, Desecration and Demon Within are actually pre-requisites to Avarar of Xotli. But anyway, to summarize. Fight starts:
    Cast desecrating essence, with demon within and desecration. Lasts for 37 seconds.
    Cast Avatar (separate cooldown), lasts 35 seconds (now at 72 seconds).
    If you wait 18 more seconds, you get another Desecrating Essence.
    But if this is the sort of fight where you, for whatever reason, can't ever be out of demon form, you could've popped your Demonic Supplication right before the Desecrating Essence:
    37 seconds of desecrating essence +45 seconds from demonic supplication = 82 seconds
    Then cast avatar, 35 more seconds = 117 seconds
    Then cast Desecrating Essence again, 37 seconds more, = 154 seconds.

So, you can spent over 2.5 minutes in demon form alone. And given the relatively short cooldown (90 seconds) and that you have 2 demon-spells (DE and Avatar), even if you get jumped you have a great chance of having demon form available to you.

King Boo Hoo on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    Make a decent OP and try again.

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.