As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Green Tortoise Hostel: Party PARTY ON! $230 raised!!

• elilasolelilasol Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh, yea, I don't really get noisy. And considering how tired I was last year at the end of each day, I doubt I'll be up late enough to disturb people. Still, good advice.

elilasol on
  • EkkosangenEkkosangen Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wow. I gave them a call today to book the beds, and it looks like they're full up on the 29th and 30th, but not the 31st. o_O

Oh well, they suggested a place about 3 blocks away, I'll give them a try maybe.

They suggested a place nearby, the Moore hotel. Looks to be an on-the-cheap place, anyone stay there before?

Ekkosangen on
    eG6Oz.jpg
    <+Arco> You can totally bone with a baby in there. If you bump up against something, just apologize to the little dude and adjust.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am happy to hear we are filling the place up. Sorry you couldn't get in, though Ekk. I wonder if they will be able to offer any special deals for us next year.

Hey, Ham. Did you ever hear back from GT about the party?

That_Guy on
  • hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I am happy to hear we are filling the place up. Sorry you couldn't get in, though Ekk. I wonder if they will be able to offer any special deals for us next year.

Hey, Ham. Did you ever hear back from GT about the party?

No not yet. I'll give it another day or two and re-send it. I might have been the wrong reply-to address.

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ekkosangen wrote: »
    Wow. I gave them a call today to book the beds, and it looks like they're full up on the 29th and 30th, but not the 31st. o_O

Oh well, they suggested a place about 3 blocks away, I'll give them a try maybe.

They suggested a place nearby, the Moore hotel. Looks to be an on-the-cheap place, anyone stay there before?

i've been by the moore a lot, seems like a decent enough place. not terribly pricey considering the area. and still reasonably close to pax (only 2 blocks further, and downhill, which is good because you never want to walk uphill to your hotel).

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Damn this thread. I planned on using the green tortoise, but you guys managed to fill it up :/

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Anybody at the GT doing the BYOC? I am.

That_Spoony_Bard on
  • nephthysnephthys Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Anybody at the GT doing the BYOC? I am.

I am :D

nephthys on
    edited July 2008
    I am just wondering. What items are usually on the breakfast menu? I have no problem making it myself, I just want to know what is offered.

That_Guy on
    edited July 2008
    Bawls and beef jerky.

That_Spoony_Bard on
    edited July 2008
    Does anyone know if there is a fridge where I can keep my own food to eat? Or is that a bad idea anyway (i.e. it will get eaten by others in a heartbeat)...? I'll be too broke to eat out much, and I'm vegan, so fast food usually isn't an option =/ What's the eating situation like here? Is there a kitchen?

nephthys on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    nephthys wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a fridge where I can keep my own food to eat? Or is that a bad idea anyway (i.e. it will get eaten by others in a heartbeat)...? I'll be too broke to eat out much, and I'm vegan, so fast food usually isn't an option =/ What's the eating situation like here? Is there a kitchen?
    there is a fridge, as long as you put your name on it, i think most others will respect it.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited July 2008
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    there is a fridge, as long as you put your name on it, i think most others will respect it.

Awesome to know, thanks for the reply!

nephthys on
    edited July 2008
    I just lost my job :( I am still going to be able to come to PAX, but my money supply might be a bit limited.

You heard anything back from GT yet Ham?

That_Guy on
  • magiicmagiic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Im choked I missed out on booking here for the whole duration of my stay. I booked online for the 28th and the 31st and it said Im ok. Maybe I'll see some of you there :)

I'll be at the Hilton for the days in between.

magiic on
  • Brian4120Brian4120 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey, Im with Henners and emorimiku's group. unfortunatly we didnt get in before space ran out on those days, so we are now at the Pike Street Suites (Homewood suites or whatever its called)

Sorry guys

Brian4120 on
    I'M HALPING!
    edited July 2008
    I just lost my job :( I am still going to be able to come to PAX, but my money supply might be a bit limited.

You heard anything back from GT yet Ham?

Shit! I forgot to re-email. I'll do this tomorrow when I have some more time free. Will let you know soon.

hamburger helper on
    edited July 2008
    Any word Ham?

Also, I have a 28in LCD monitor that has HDMI, D-Sub, Component, S-video, and Composite. If I end up taking my car down, should I bring it? It does 1080p so it might be good for the EXbawks.

That_Guy on
    edited July 2008
    Any word Ham?

Also, I have a 28in LCD monitor that has HDMI, D-Sub, Component, S-video, and Composite. If I end up taking my car down, should I bring it? It does 1080p so it might be good for the EXbawks.

That might be nice in a dorm room... no word from the hostel. Maybe we should just make our own? The residents of the hostel have free reign over the common area, so we can just improvise.

EDIT: Also, I meant to ask earlier, but does anyone want to play settlers of catan? I was thinking of bringing my board + cities and knights.

hamburger helper on
  • elilasolelilasol Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I haven't played catan.. ever. I'd be interested in learning assume we have time.

elilasol on
  • BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It may be a good idea to bring a smaller TV for the dorm. We were barred from using the commons room TV at some point. Anyone else from last year know the details?

Edit: And remember to treat your Boneitis.

Blain on
    edited July 2008
    The only concern I would have in bringing my monitor would be security. Is there a place I could lock it up or should I get a Kensington lock?

That_Guy on
    edited July 2008
    The lockers under the bunks are pretty large, but if you're bringing real luggage plus the monitor. Hmm. You might want to get the exact dimensions from the hostel staff and use a tape measure to see if you can fit everything.

Blain on
    edited July 2008
    The only concern I would have in bringing my monitor would be security. Is there a place I could lock it up or should I get a Kensington lock?

if i remember correctly, the lockers under the bed are around 4'x2'x1' tall. give or take a few inches. if you take the stand off your monitor, you should be able to fit it in, assuming your bag isn't too huge.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    edited July 2008
    dyaballikl wrote: »

if i remember correctly, the lockers under the bed are around 4'x2'x1' tall. give or take a few inches. if you take the stand off your monitor, you should be able to fit it in, assuming your bag isn't too huge.

The stand is not easily detachable so I think I will look at a lock. Next time I am in Seattle I might have to stop by and check the place out.

That_Guy on
  • NepoNepo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Who's all going? I'm deciding whether to stay at the hostel or stay at a hotel. If theres tons of cool people staying at the Green Tortoise then i might be inclined to stay there.

Otherwise i'm willing to pay a little more for a hotel room.

I love hitting up the bars (if there arnt awesome parties from the convention already) and plan on doing it almost every night. Anyone else share this same objective?

24 M from Oregon. Riding the train up on Thursday the 28th.

Look forward to my first PAX :D

Nepo on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This place is full/overbooked, last I called. you can try it, though.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, thanks to the thread, the place is booked up solid. You might check there nightly for beds opened up by "no shows" during PAX itself, but I would not hold much hope. I didn't have any luck with that last year, hence I make plans months ago for this year.

That_Guy on
  • NessNess Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So I booked an 8-person room and I might be having a couple extra people in my party, is there a way to smuggle people in, or is the hostel anal about stuff like that?

Ness on
    edited July 2008
    Assuming GT does not throw a kegger for us, I was thinking we could all go in on a keg of our own. Since the Pyramid Brewery is just up the street, would you all be interested in a keg-o-Heff?

That_Guy on
    edited July 2008
    I just updated the OP with some new info and party plans. Check it out.

That_Guy on
    edited August 2008
  • super...super... __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm all for pizza!

I'm allergic to alcohol, but you kids have fun. i will just be enjoying your kegged up company

BTW

NONE OF MY FRIENDS ARE GOING TO PAX THIS YEAR I"M ALL ALONE BOOO HOOO

super... on
  • ZankenZanken Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man, reading this thread makes it me want to come back to PAX baddly.
    Thats about a $5000 trip though. :(

Tortoise was so much fun last year. I also got extremely lucky just walking in off the street too. :)

Zanken on
    edited August 2008
    super... wrote: »

Tyler Tinsley! I WILL BE YOUR FRIEND!

Blain on
    edited August 2008
    Blain wrote: »

even though i'm fat and snore?

super... on
    edited August 2008
    Y'all can snore, I'm bringing me some earplugs....

That_Spoony_Bard on
    edited August 2008
    Blain wrote: »

even though i'm fat and snore?

There was an awesome guy in the dorm room I was in last year who was fat and snored, so that's no problem. Wait, are you the guy who was in the same dorm room as me last year?

Blain on
    edited August 2008
    nope! last year i shared a room at red lion with all of my freinds WHO ARE NOT COMING THIS YEAR, i guess i will make new pax freinds.

super... on
    edited August 2008
    DAMN RIGHT YOU WILL!

(Now PM me so we can figure out when we can hang out and stop spamming the thread.)

For anyone else looking to find cool folks to hang out with at PAX, here's what helped me last year.

1) Hit up the dinner or any other community events / parties that look fun, and keep up with the threads about them so you can get an idea of who might be cool to hang out with when you get there.

2) Join the discussion in the hostel common area. People are seeing all sorts of awesome shit at PAX that they want to talk about.

3) The console free play areas can also be a fun way to meet people. There were plenty of four player games with only three players that were happy to have people jump in.

Blain on
This discussion has been closed.