As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Superman: Man of Style!

• Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yes, I love that white cape Superman.

I love it so much I ripped off the basic idea for one of my characters in CoX.

Accualt on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    bobgorila wrote: »
    I've also read comics in which he works out in a red-sun room with Batman, doing martial arts and shit too.

Really? He doesn't really seem to do much more beyond flying really hard at guys, fist first.

Lux on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lux wrote: »
    I've also read comics in which he works out in a red-sun room with Batman, doing martial arts and shit too.

Really? He doesn't really seem to do much more beyond flying really hard at guys, fist first.

Yup. Few writers seem to have picked up on the idea that he supposedly knows several martial arts, including Kryptonian ones he has studied.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    when i imagine a kryptonian martial art, i envision it as something like bartitsu

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Yup. Few writers seem to have picked up on the idea that he supposedly knows several martial arts, including Kryptonian ones he has studied.

I find it odd that Kryptonians have a martial arts. Granted I haven't really read all that many Superman books in the past decade or so, but my idea of Krypton is that it's this super advanced society that had become so clinical in their scientific and cultural pursuits that there was barely even any emotion anymore. To think they'd be engaging in random fist fights or martial arts just doesn't go with how I always envision their planet.

I know they've retconned into civil wars with Zod and Jor-El and how Krypton once conquered everyone with Super powers before getting confined to the planet, but they seem so much more barbaric these days than what I still think of Krypton as.

KVW on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I would be prepared to believe it if the arts had become fairly rigid and formalised, almost unto a neverending series of katas rather than a fighting discipline per se.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2008
    I think it was explained as a mental defense more than anything, but I can't be sure.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That doesn't sound very martial at all.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    KVW wrote: »

I find it odd that Kryptonians have a martial arts. Granted I haven't really read all that many Superman books in the past decade or so, but my idea of Krypton is that it's this super advanced society that had become so clinical in their scientific and cultural pursuits that there was barely even any emotion anymore. To think they'd be engaging in random fist fights or martial arts just doesn't go with how I always envision their planet.

I know they've retconned into civil wars with Zod and Jor-El and how Krypton once conquered everyone with Super powers before getting confined to the planet, but they seem so much more barbaric these days than what I still think of Krypton as.

Martial Arts don't have to have any practical application. They are, after all, an art. It could just be a cultural legacy, practiced and taught with the intention of preserving a tradition. I mean, do you think martial arts today, in our advanced society of guns & missiles, is used to get into random fist fights or fight wars?

Lux on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What makes you think martial arts = barbaric? I've always found them to be very elegant

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You're very elegant.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Martial Arts don't have to have any practical application. They are, after all, an art. It could just be a cultural legacy, practiced and taught with the intention of preserving a tradition. I mean, do you think martial arts today, in our advanced society of guns & missiles, is used to get into random fist fights or fight wars?

Chuck Norris would like to have a word with you.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

off the top of my head:
    1. fitness
    2. self defense
    3. self discipline
    4. winning comic book arguments over the internet

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    You're very elegant.

Oh stop!
    Don't stop :winky:

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    wyrlsswyrlss Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

off the top of my head:
    1. fitness
    2. self defense
    3. self discipline

Yeah, the only martial arts guys I know either keep it in the dojo or only "play" with people who know what they're doing. I'd imagine that's a decent reason that writers aren't using for Supes not using his Kryptonian Judo. Superman, fighting, balls to the wall, would have to be the most terrifyingly awesome thing.
    I have to admit, I liked the Red Son suit's colors. I mean, the bright primary colors thing is nice too, but toning it down makes him look less... comicbooky.

wyrlss on
    K9Violator.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008

off the top of my head:
    1. fitness
    2. self defense
    3. self discipline

I'm not saying martials arts have no practical application, just that they don't need to have one to practice it.

You know what my favorite Superman costume variant is? The one that just replaced the yellow with black on the emblem. I think it was after Our Worlds At War? For some reason, it just seemed refreshing enough to look at without being too radical.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

off the top of my head:
    1. fitness
    2. self defense
    3. self discipline

I'm not saying martials arts have no practical application, just that they don't need to have one to practice it.

You know what my favorite Superman costume variant is? The one that just replaced the yellow with black on the emblem. I think it was after Our Worlds At War? For some reason, it just seemed refreshing enough to look at without being too radical.

that design choice is actually from the old fleicher superman cartoons-

Fleishersuperman.jpg

edit- i agree it's pretty cool, though. all those old cartoons are public domain, incidentally, so i highly recommend getting them off the web. they're still good!

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    with regard to superman being toned, i think he would be a chubby dude or extremely skinny. i mean, he so rarely has to go all out that i would think he would just put on the fat from all the sun-energy he's absorbing but not using or that he would be a toothpick from his lack of exercise.

edit: the fat superman i think is the more likely of the two.

PantheraOnca on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    except that excercise in general does not consist of going "all out". it's not a good idea to just sprint as fast as you fucking can until you collapse and call it exercise.

superman is an active s.o.b. he flies to other planets and shit like every day. he fights the toymaster and metallo. he couldn't be some fat sack of crap just because he never has a moment to sit on his ass with some pringles and jerry springer. every time he settles down, green lantern starts whining about the anti-dad eating the sun and superman has to go take care of some more shit

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    What muscle does he use to fly?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The muscles around his fingers & knuckles. They carry his whole body around when he's flying.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Jeez, I thought everyone knew that!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2008
    look at him when he flies! he's all stretched out! it's like flying yoga!

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Quick note from the Project Rooftop site - they've been having email problems, so if you submitted an entry but didn't receive a confirmation email then your submission went missing and you should try their new email address.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

That instantly made me think of Starship Troopers and "Put your hand on that wall!"

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited June 2008
    The muscles around his fingers & knuckles. They carry his whole body around when he's flying.

i actually always figured you'd clench your butt really hard.

i dunno why, that's just what i'd do

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2008
    The finalists are up. The winners will be revealed in an episode of The Stack

Some of my favorites:

supermanavibastermagiansz4.jpg

This looks like an adult Superboy, and I really like it. It's sleek and iconic. My only problems are how the cape connects (it just looks so "old" compared to the rest) and the size of the symbol. I love everything else. It's just so well drawn.

supermankylelatinobr8.jpg

I'm not sure I like the costume as much as I like the art style. It's just so Golden Age looking. I like the design of the jacket, but I don't see the point. Love the scarf, though.

supermandanielheardha3.jpg

This is just adorable. It goes to his farmboy roots instead of his Kryptonian. I love it except for the belt area; the red there just doesn't work for me.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    humblehumble Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i don't like the first one, but the other two are awesome

humble on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Superman-Charles-Rouse-Rodriguez.jpg

This is my favorite, unnecessary doo-dads or not.

To me, it's the only one that conveys the image of a "Man of Tomorrow" or benevolent authority figure from beyond the stars.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2008
    humble wrote: »
    i don't like the first one, but the other two are awesome

Really? I think the first one is going to win. It's the only one that really captured the look and feel of Superman and pushed it forward. A lot of designs were fun, but didn't work on that level.

Also, Mark Waid is very strict judge

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/projectrooftop/manofstyle/finalists/Superman-Charles-Rouse-Rodriguez.jpg

To me, it's the only one that conveys the image of a "Man of Tomorrow" or benevolent authority figure from beyond the stars.

I'd like this one a lot more without the gadgets or the cape. Put the symbol on the chest instead of up on that weird sash and I'd love it.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I love the Superjacket

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/projectrooftop/manofstyle/finalists/Superman-Charles-Rouse-Rodriguez.jpg

I'd like this one a lot more without the gadgets or the cape. Put the symbol on the chest instead of up on that weird sash and I'd love it.

I think I have a bias against the outfits that do go with the traditional placement of the symbol. That being the most aspect of the current costume, I feel like going that route with an alternate take means adhering too closely right from the start. From that point on, your design is just sort of existing as a knock-off rather than something that stands on its own.

But then, the contest itself seems to be about going with outfits that Superman could reasonably be expected to wear in the actual series, so it makes sense that the judges would view takes that are more traditional in nature as being superior.

And yeah, I think it's cool for a superhero symbol to be re-imagined as a badge, a move that suggests a subtle but important shift in the role of Superman from the original idea to this artist's idea.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Superman-Charles-Rouse-Rodriguez.jpg

i really like this one too. And the one with bomber jacket. Both of them could really work with a first-appearance type Superman, where he couldn't fly, but could leap over skyscrapers and stuff. I think most of his powers came from his super-dense body, from Krypton having much higher gravity than Earth.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    superman_ming_doyle_prsize.jpg

this one

is the best

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    superman_ming_doyle_prsize.jpg

this one

is the best

Agreed.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I like the costume.

Hate the art style.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The chest symbol is an indistinguishable mess.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    The chest symbol is an indistinguishable mess.

That was apparently done to make the character a bit more alien

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    the symbol is fine

Sars_Boy on