As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mercenaries 2: Alot of people are gonna die...

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, a few months back when we had a Mercenaries thread people were talking about issues with being in the Chinese area on the 360 or something like that. From the wikipedia page on Xbox compatibility[/quote]:

Map can sometimes turn solid blue and sound can skip. PAL version freezes 360 completely when entering top of the map. NTSC version becomes buggy and can crash when in the northern part of the map, causing the Chinese portion of the game to be very difficult to complete.

SteevL on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Witchsight wrote: »
    You could also hijack the Mafia helis as they came in to drop off your supplies. Really, its the most economical thing to do.

Late, but that's the way I did it for the second ace.

It was a bitch to snipe down but the mission was a cakewalk after I got it down.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited June 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »
    You could also hijack the Mafia helis as they came in to drop off your supplies. Really, its the most economical thing to do.

It was a bitch to snipe down but the mission was a cakewalk after I got it down.

Wow. I never knew you could do that. Definitely would've come in handy.

SteevL on
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i hated the fact that i couldn't understand a word the swedish guy was saying. he's voice was so low and mumbly.

Burden of Proof on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Tiemler wrote: »
    Man, I don't even play Mattias when I play Mercenaries.

<3 Jennifer Mui. Sneaking around as a cool ridiculously hot Asian British spy chick with the dragunov ftw.

if that accent were a weapon, consider me dead.

I like that gal at ExOps' voice, too. Between the two of them and that orchestral score, this game is ear candy.

Speaking of that the first time I learned of the Han Solo code I was playing as her. And naturally I'm like "Woah totally bad ass I get to play as Han Solo!" so I punch the code in and start running around only to realize "Uhh the voice is the same... D:D:D:"

Worse than that, the skin just drops over the top of the existing character model so he runs like a girl. It's pretty disturbing watching harrison ford running around with a wiggle in his booty.

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited June 2008
    i hated the fact that i couldn't understand a word the swedish guy was saying. he's voice was so low and mumbly.

I enabled subtitles, but yeah. I was honestly kind of disappointed with Peter Stormare's performance, and I like him as an actor. he sounds a bit better in the Mercenaries 2 trailer, I think.

SteevL on
  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I ALMOST ruined Mercs 1 for myself that way though. Going with the "If it feels good do it, even if you shouldnt" attitude of Mercs, i found myself starting every game session with securing a helicopter somehow (preferably one of those Apaches in the northern map).

It started to make the game stale, but it was just so much easier than driving everywhere. Until i recognized that driving through battle zones is totally badass.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You people like news about games, right?
    http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=151083

There's some screenshots, too.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Do we have word about whether there are cards in this one?

I remember in the first there were missions and cards, weren't there? I just can't remember if any cards have been mentioned in previews or suchlike.

Missions I don't remember being that interesting, but cards were always great.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I ALMOST ruined Mercs 1 for myself that way though. Going with the "If it feels good do it, even if you shouldnt" attitude of Mercs, i found myself starting every game session with securing a helicopter somehow (preferably one of those Apaches in the northern map).

It started to make the game stale, but it was just so much easier than driving everywhere. Until i recognized that driving through battle zones is totally badass.

I did that, too. Step one, steal humvee. Step 2, drive to South Korean airbase. Step 3, steal Commanche knock-off.

Eventually I realized just how goddamned cheap that was, so I'd order a blackhawk helicopter when I started a play session...then I'd fly to the airbase and steal a Commanche knock-off. Yeah, it was still basically the same thing, but the point is I DID PAY FOR A HELICOPTER...just not the one I ended up using.

No cards. They're doing something new.

SammyF on
  • TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, there's nothing on the ESRB site as far as a rating goes. Is it safe to assume that it will probably be Teen so they can put some LucasArts references into it again?

Trevor on
  • ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    LucasArts has nothing to do with Mercenaries 2. EA owns the rights to the game now.

Error on
    edited June 2008
    SammyF wrote: »

D:

SilkyNumNuts on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

D:

It's still got the core concept, it's just that the random dumbasses to grab won't be organized as the deck of 52. From what I heard, each organization you can take jobs from will have their own organizational system for bounties.

yalborap on
    edited June 2008
    yalborap wrote: »

D:

It's still got the core concept, it's just that the random dumbasses to grab won't be organized as the deck of 52. From what I heard, each organization you can take jobs from will have their own organizational system for bounties.

Hmm... I'm still skeptical.

SilkyNumNuts on
    edited June 2008
    The cards thing was really cool, especially as it mimicked the deck of cards that was distributed by the US armed forces during the Iraq war for people to memorise the faces of all of Iraq's most wanted military and government power players, but I think I can live without it. It made for a slightly absurd pokemon feel to hunting down and killing or apprehending genocidal bastards.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Jennifer used Carpet Bombing!

It's Super Effective!

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
    edited July 2008
    HOLY SHIT.

HOLY SHIT YEAH.

New developer walkthrough!

So pretty.

Grappling hooks!

Ladders!

Apparantly customizable vehicles which includes a dune buggy-thing strapped with 4 rocket launchers!

Jet strike beacons which you could throw onto vehicles and suicide the thing into enemy territory? Of course!

Jennifer Mui being sexily covert? If you're into that sort thing than yes!

This is going to be the bestest game ever.

Antihippy on
    edited July 2008
    Holy frig. Awesome. Only thing i'm not liking is the quick reaction stuff. I hate that shit.

Error on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Error wrote: »
    Holy frig. Awesome. Only thing i'm not liking is the quick reaction stuff. I hate that shit.

At least it's just "Mash a button for a second or two" instead of "Simon Says: The Flash edition!".

BlueDestiny on
  • Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wow, this looks great!

Definintely a day one purchase for me.

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
    edited July 2008
    Wow, this looks great!

Definintely a day one purchase for me.

Totally. Even just based on the first one.

Although Farcry 2 or whatever it's called sounds like it's going to turn into some sort of delicious hybrid of Mercenaries and STALKER, so that's got my interest-o-meter registering at piqued too.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Error wrote: »

At least it's just "Mash a button for a second or two" instead of "Simon Says: The Flash edition!".

It's still lazy and anachronistic. And it breaks immersion. Once I've adjusted to the quirks of a game's control scheme, I don't like it to call attention to itself with onscreen prompts or stupid little minigames.

Tiemler on
    edited July 2008
    It's just there to make the hijacking more involving then "go next to vehicle and press Y".

Ain't gonna be that annoying.

Antihippy on
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's just there to make the hijacking more involving then "go next to vehicle and press Y".

Going up and pressing Y works well enough for GTAIV, and that's a game specifically about hijacking vehicles. "Being different" is a shitty reason for needlessly complicating a game mechanic.

Tiemler on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Can anyone say fuck yes to grappling hooks? Hijacking choppers could be such a pain in the ass in the first one, especially when you were trying for the death machines hovering over the UN base in the 2nd province. Explosive cannon shells mince you right up before they get into hijack range. :(

Arrath on
    edited July 2008
    Didn't you have to bash the car windows open in GTA4 and hotwire them? I've never played it, so I wouldn't really know, but I heard that that's the way that it's done.

Anyway, I really don't see how you can find it complicated. It's not even a bloody QTE. YOU initiate it, for god sakes. It's not as if it's random.

Antihippy on
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Didn't you have to bash the car windows open in GTA4 and hotwire them? I've never played it, so I wouldn't really know, but I heard that that's the way that it's done.

Yeah, but the breaking the window is automatic, and the hotwiring button press is optional -- it simply lets you start the car about a half-second faster.

Recoil42 on
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I can see how doing that little minigame every time you want a tank can be annoying.

I also hope grappling isn't as easy as it looks.

Burden of Proof on
    edited July 2008
    Well I'm glad they appear to have removed that bs from the air strikes at least. I saw an earlier preview where you had to press a button to a timer to call in a missile strike.

Error on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Damnit, I want this now.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
    edited July 2008
    Stop whining about the QTE's people and LOOK, CUSTOMIZABLE VEHICLES.

CUSTOMIZABLE VEHICLES.
    CUSTOMIZABLE VEHICLES.

Antihippy on
    edited July 2008
    I don't play Mercenaries for the customizable vehicles. I play it for the blowing up of things and the air strikes. Now what do you think i'm going to be more interested in?

Error on
    edited July 2008
    Building customizable vehicles that can blow shit up?

Antihippy on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Ding Ding we have a winner!

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • LamoidLamoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's horrible that for some reason my 360 was always deathly allergic to mercenaries. My old one started crapping out whenever I played it, that might have been because it was close to death but it seems mercenaries borks my 360 like nothing else. Also, loading up a chopper with mafia types then plowing into a NK base after a card is still up there in my all time favourite video game moments.

Lamoid on
    Laymoid.gif
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

The vehicle in the video did have a big honkin rocket launcher on it, after all.

Arrath on
  • SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Frame rate looks terrible, but I'm excited.

Sueve on
  • jimenexjimenex Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    being from Venezuela...I CANNOT wait to kill Chavez (or Chavez-like guy) in this game.

jimenex on
    bg.gif
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sueve wrote: »
    Frame rate looks terrible, but I'm excited.

Well, performance would be one of the later things to be fixed, plus do remember this is internet streaming video, which is usually 30fps at most.

yalborap on