As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stories of terrible teachers

• JoonJoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So the online submission thing for my anthropology class fucked up and all of the papers that were submitted are gone. So now we have to submit them again. Except the power supply just died in the computer that I have all of my papers on. So now I get to write all of them again. Fucking spectacular.

Joon on
    bartsig.png
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    get a new power supply

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • beefbeef Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    When I was a sophomore, I took the PSAT and scored in the 99th percentile.

Apparently, this is good enough to apply for a $50,000 scholarship that only goes to people that score this high.

Too bad I didn't know this because my idiot principle didn't give me the letter until right before I graduated.

whoops.jpg

And joon, why don't you find another power supply?

beef on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    get a new power supply

Seriously. The power supply in my desktop died earlier in the year and it wasn't a big deal to go down to the local Best Buy and pick up another power supply. My current one is even more energy-efficient than the last one and has much better-organized wires.

Took me all of 2.5 hours total to drive to the store, shop for the part, buy it, drive back, take out the old power supply, put the new one in and hook it all up. Computer ran like a dream as soon as I flipped it on.

TankHammer on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    At least half of the time when someone complains of having a bad teacher, it's not really the teacher but the student who is a jackass and doesn't understand the concept that actions have consequences.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ehh.. most stories so far weren't like that

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • ethicalseanethicalsean Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The Geek wrote: »
    At least half of the time when someone complains of having a bad teacher, it's not really the teacher but the student who is a jackass and doesn't understand the concept that actions have consequences.

Pfft, it wouldn't be fun for us teachers if students thought that way.

Student:FUCK THIS SCHOOL AND PEOPLE TELLIN ME WHAT TO DO IM GOING TO THE MARINES
    Teacher:You know they make you go through bootcamp where they tell you what to eat, when to use the restroom, and where to work?
    Student:NAH IM CONNECTED IM GONNA BE A GENERAL I GOT FAMILY IN THERE SO I DONT GOTTA DO THAT
    Teacher:Well, you know better than me, General.

ethicalsean on
  • CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My college algebra professor during the fall semester was a douche and failed me in that class. Granted when it comes to math I own up that I'm pretty much terrible at it going beyond anything other than basic practical stuff and that in order for me to pass any math class I have to fight tooth and nail just to get D's and C's (especially so on exams), and that part of the F grade was mostly on my incompetence.

However I failed on a borderline grade (i was literally like .something off of getting a 60 which was all that was needed to pass), and the guy couldn't bother bumping it up to a 60 despite the fact that i had gone to get help from him several times and showed up to every class (early friday mornings no less), and did his end of the semester extra credit assignment.

Yes it was his call in the end but it would've been nice if he wasn't an apathetic prick cause oh noes im the new professor on staff and have to get stuck with an early class with kids who are at below-average ability with math, so im gonna fail this kid who's at a 59.0something or other despite the fact that he clearly gives a shit about doing the work in my class regardless of him struggling with the material.

Ugh at least the statistics professor who taught the summer course i finished last month was a grounded, and funny, old timer who was one of the heads of the CC"s math department i was commuting to. Got a C in that class too, but I'll attribute that to it not being algebra and being able to have a small 3x5 note card with formulas on the exams.

CptKemzik on
  • ScreamingGerbilScreamingGerbil Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My animation teacher was pretty awesome. I never actually followed what he said so he kept asking me if I want to learn or not. Since I already knew how to use photoshop and 3DMax I said no.

He just said "ok" and kept teaching.

He gave me an A in the end of the last year.

ScreamingGerbil on
  • darkdemondarkdemon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Barefoot Gen was written as a manga by a survivor of the Hiroshima blast. He wanted to spread the word so nothing like it would happen again. If Grave of the Fireflies made you cry, imagine going to the Atomic Bombing Museum in Nagasaki or Hiroshima. Actually seeing a carbon "shadow" on a wall that used to be a person. I lived in Nagasaki for 4 months as an exchange student. It was a wonderful time, but the first time you go to the museum, words can't really do it justice.

They showed that clip posted earlier on Dutch children's news (Yeah really appropriate for kids...) like 10 years ago...and it stuck with me until now. Never knew what it was called but now I finally know. You know your images struck a nerve when they hang with someone for a decade.

darkdemon on
    heyquitit.PNG
  • IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    darkdemon wrote: »
    Barefoot Gen was written as a manga by a survivor of the Hiroshima blast. He wanted to spread the word so nothing like it would happen again. If Grave of the Fireflies made you cry, imagine going to the Atomic Bombing Museum in Nagasaki or Hiroshima. Actually seeing a carbon "shadow" on a wall that used to be a person. I lived in Nagasaki for 4 months as an exchange student. It was a wonderful time, but the first time you go to the museum, words can't really do it justice.

They showed that clip posted earlier on Dutch children's news (Yeah really appropriate for kids...) like 10 years ago...and it stuck with me until now. Never knew what it was called but now I finally know. You know your images struck a nerve when they hang with someone for a decade.

I think that was the point. To make it so horrific that you can't just easily dismiss what happened.

Iloveslimes on
  • zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I had a teacher in the fifth grade. She had one eye, and she was finally getting around to getting a replacement for her eye. Because of that, she walked around for the majority of the year wearing an eyepatch over her left eye. Though it was pretty funny, all of the stress must have gotten to her or something because she would hear things. She would think there was a kid screaming and she'd just spaz out running around the room trying to figure out why someone was screaming. Once she finally got the replacement she cooled down a little, and I know it wasnt her fault, but she was still a terrible teacher for the majority of the year :/

zanmatto on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I used to think my third grade teacher was a witch and she scared the shit outta me

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    you're a pretty terrible person

edit: that was to zan

Faricazy on
  • zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well okay, the thing is that even when she finally got her eye replaced that she would just totally milk it for attention. She would go on random tangents that would last whole hours, telling random disgusting stories about how one day the spacer for her left eye popped out in the middle of the street and a little girl walked by and started screaming and random junk. I mean I'm sorry, but admittedly as terrible as that situation was, she could have at least TAUGHT at the school. Oh and I heard that the year after I went to middle school a couple kids stole the teachers car because she was such a terrible teacher, so maybe the eye wasnt the problem, and she was just using it as an excuse :/ Tis a mystery.

zanmatto on
    edited July 2008
    zanmatto wrote: »
    Well okay, the thing is that even when she finally got her eye replaced that she would just totally milk it for attention. She would go on random tangents that would last whole hours, telling random disgusting stories about how one day the spacer for her left eye popped out in the middle of the street and a little girl walked by and started screaming and random junk. I mean I'm sorry, but admittedly as terrible as that situation was, she could have at least TAUGHT at the school. Oh and I heard that the year after I went to middle school a couple kids stole the teachers car because she was such a terrible teacher, so maybe the eye wasnt the problem, and she was just using it as an excuse :/ Tis a mystery.

You should've offered her $50 to effectively cross a balance beam

whoops

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I had a french teacher in the sixth or seventh grade for a little while who seemed normal enough at first. Turns out, she claimed to have found a crashed spaceship and took the alien inside home with her and named it Fred. She would also draw a rocking horse for the entire class and give the picture to the kid who was best bahaved, telling them that it would be worth something someday. One time someone tore it into pieces infront of her and she quit her job.

I really wish I was lying.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
    edited July 2008
    Haha, there was a crazy teacher at my high school. I think she was schizo or something. I'll do this with bullet points

-She told students the school was a site of an ancient dragon burial ground and, with a dead serious face, would tell them she was channelling said dragons
    -She kept all kinds of mystical shit in her room to ward evil spirits away from the students
    -Once during a student assembly, she took over the whole performance and stood on stage thrumming her guitar spacedly for five minutes humming in front of everyone
    -She didn't grade work, but handed out grades according to how liberal students were. IE, if they thought positive energy could be stored in crystals, A+, if they were a fiscal conservative, F

She would give me weird looks a lot and I'm fairly certain she was a huge stoner

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited July 2008
    do you know what really ticks me off?

no regard for other people's property. cars especially. if i ever catch someone trying to steal my car well i don't know how this person got into a coma officer

Faricazy on
    edited July 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Haha, there was a crazy teacher at my high school. I think she was schizo or something. I'll do this with bullet points

-She told students the school was a site of an ancient dragon burial ground and, with a dead serious face, would tell them she was channelling said dragons
    -She kept all kinds of mystical shit in her room to ward evil spirits away from the students
    -Once during a student assembly, she took over the whole performance and stood on stage thrumming her guitar spacedly for five minutes humming in front of everyone
    -She didn't grade work, but handed out grades according to how liberal students were. IE, if they thought positive energy could be stored in crystals, A+, if they were a fiscal conservative, F

She would give me weird looks a lot and I'm fairly certain she was a huge stoner

Well damn. My crazy teacher is much less crazy than your crazy teacher. How did your crazy teacher keep her job? Or is this a big sham and you're a fat liar who has been lying to me all along.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
    edited July 2008
    my teacher in 5th grade was rather sexists

she was really sweet to girls in the class but if a boy did the same thing well

one time she flipped over four desks because a boy was chewing gum

fun

Faricazy on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    CptKemzik wrote: »
    My college algebra professor during the fall semester was a douche and failed me in that class. Granted when it comes to math I own up that I'm pretty much terrible at it going beyond anything other than basic practical stuff and that in order for me to pass any math class I have to fight tooth and nail just to get D's and C's (especially so on exams), and that part of the F grade was mostly on my incompetence.

However I failed on a borderline grade (i was literally like .something off of getting a 60 which was all that was needed to pass), and the guy couldn't bother bumping it up to a 60 despite the fact that i had gone to get help from him several times and showed up to every class (early friday mornings no less), and did his end of the semester extra credit assignment.

Yes it was his call in the end but it would've been nice if he wasn't an apathetic prick cause oh noes im the new professor on staff and have to get stuck with an early class with kids who are at below-average ability with math, so im gonna fail this kid who's at a 59.0something or other despite the fact that he clearly gives a shit about doing the work in my class regardless of him struggling with the material.

Ugh at least the statistics professor who taught the summer course i finished last month was a grounded, and funny, old timer who was one of the heads of the CC"s math department i was commuting to. Got a C in that class too, but I'll attribute that to it not being algebra and being able to have a small 3x5 note card with formulas on the exams.

Call me crazy

But giving you an F when you couldn't maintain a 60% in the class doesn't really sound unfair.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

edited July 2008

Well damn. My crazy teacher is much less crazy than your crazy teacher. How did your crazy teacher keep her job? Or is this a big sham and you're a fat liar who has been lying to me all along.

She didn't keep her job. They let her stay 'cus it was a governors school for the arts for awhile, but eventually her shenaniganery got the best of them and she was fired in my sophomore year

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Faricazy wrote: »

fun

I think we've all that teacher. Mine was grade 6. One time I didn't do my homework and she told me how irresponsible and whatever whatever I am and writes it down in her marking book. Then she walked up to a girl only a few desks away who also didn't have it done and told her she was sure it was an accident and it won't happen again and fuck you bitch. I have never hated a human more than that one.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
    edited July 2008
    shenaniganery, fandy?

Goatmon on

edited July 2008
    She was just totally full of the crazies

They basically realised they couldn't have a stoned, manic, judgemental, irresponsible guitar-playing hippie nutsack teacher any longer

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited July 2008
    also this one time i was supposed to be getting some sort of stupid award pin for academic something or other

and the teacher (still 5th grade) pulled me outside of class and scolded me for like five minutes about how i better not do anything stupid or they wont give me the stupid award and my life will be ruined or something

and i was like, well, that's a weird way to tell me i'm getting an award

Faricazy on
  • FabricateFabricate __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008

Hhahahahahahahaha

She was an otherkin.

thats great.

Fabricate on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    my 5th grade teacher was a hippie

big time liberal artsy fag hippie

she was a kind woman, a very compassionate and good-hearted lady who loved children

but she also had a screwy idea about kids and what kids are

especially for teaching 5th grade, which is when kids start really getting pubescent n shit.

i was raised with very cynical, conservative, even outright harsh survivalist worldviews thanks to my crazy father

plus also my nutty brain

so she would ask the class questions about their feelings in a big sharing circle and it was like every time i spoke i drove a railroad spike of bitter upbringing into her soul with a hammer

Pony on
    edited July 2008
    Oh man, we also had this fantasticly awesome english teacher / assistant principle

They caught me sneaking out of the school building after the first bell rang to smoke a cigarette, and the principal sent me to him. He just guffawed and patted me on the back and told me not to get shot if I left the school. Once, one of my friends walked up to him and said "Mr. Joyner, I smoked a big, fat blunt before class" and he put his hands on his belly and chortled "I sure hope there weren't any drugs in it!"

Once when he was solemnly informing me I'd been suspended he paused mid-dissapointed advice and pulled a magazine add for the "BIGGEST BAR-B-QUE EXTRAVAGANZA IN THE STATE" and shouted "HOLY CRAP THERE'S GONNA BE SO MUCH BAR-B-QUE" followed by "but I'm really going to have to give you out of school suspension"

I also had a teacher that spent fifteen minutes telling me a joke that ended with another teacher having sex with a dog

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited July 2008
    HOLY CRAP THERE'S GONNA BE SO MUCH BAR-B-QUE

hahahahahaha

Pony on
    edited July 2008

fun

I think we've all that teacher. Mine was grade 6. One time I didn't do my homework and she told me how irresponsible and whatever whatever I am and writes it down in her marking book. Then she walked up to a girl only a few desks away who also didn't have it done and told her she was sure it was an accident and it won't happen again and fuck you bitch. I have never hated a human more than that one.

I had a college professor do the exact same shit to me. I heard her talking with a female student about being able to redo the assignment we just turned in, I asked if I could do the same (I'd fucked up the spacing or something, I really don't remember) and she looked over and said no, and that I was getting a zero.

It caught me pretty off guard and my reaction was some equivalent of "WTF", and she told me that if I had a problem with that, that I could leave. And so I did. Never saw the cunt again.

I had kind of suspected she wasn't as nice as she presented herself, right from the start. She seemed very nice, but something about her seemed kind of insincere. I guess in my time at college I had begun learning how to spot bitches. Or shitty teachers.

Goatmon on

edited July 2008
    Pony wrote: »

she was a kind woman, a very compassionate and good-hearted lady who loved children

especially for teaching 5th grade, which is when kids start really getting pubescent n shit.

i was raised with very cynical, conservative, even outright harsh survivalist worldviews thanks to my crazy father

plus also my nutty brain

so she would ask the class questions about their feelings in a big sharing circle and it was like every time i spoke i drove a railroad spike of bitter upbringing into her soul with a hammer

Man, you can't stop there.

Unless this is some deep personal shit you don't want to go into, you gotta give us some examples.

Goatmon on

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have a friend who failed 2 terms of school, I'm talking simply stopped going.
    Her house was across the street, but she was just lazy and couldn't be bothered to go.

She failed the last term last year, and failed the most recent term this year.

She got Status for the whole thing. As in, not a mark, but still a pass. As much as she is my friend, I couldn't beleive she got away with such bullshit. Because she had issues or somesuch, her issue being her boyfriend and related problems. Him cheating and such. Also she skipped school to see him alot.

The Black Hunter on
    edited July 2008
    Goatmon wrote: »

fun

I had a college professor do the exact same shit to me. I heard her talking with a female student about being able to redo the assignment we just turned in, I asked if I could do the same (I'd fucked up the spacing or something, I really don't remember) and she looked over and said no, and that I was getting a zero.

It caught me pretty off guard and my reaction was some equivalent of "WTF", and she told me that if I had a problem with that, that I could leave. And so I did. Never saw the cunt again.

I had kind of suspected she wasn't as nice as she presented herself, right from the start. She seemed very nice, but something about her seemed kind of insincere. I guess in my time at college I had begun learning how to spot bitches. Or shitty teachers.

Chicks are for fags.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
    edited July 2008
    I have a friend who failed 2 terms of school, I'm talking simply stopped going.
    Her house was across the street, but she was just lazy and couldn't be bothered to go.

She failed the last term last year, and failed the most recent term this year.

She got Status for the whole thing. As in, not a mark, but still a pass. As much as she is my friend, I couldn't beleive she got away with such bullshit. Because she had issues or somesuch, her issue being her boyfriend and related problems. Him cheating and such. Also she skipped school to see him alot.

Failing high school is part of life

I left with a GPA of 0.9 for my junior year and I somehow I still got into college

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Pony wrote: »

plus also my nutty brain

Man, you can't stop there.

Unless this is some deep personal shit you don't want to go into, you gotta give us some examples.

oh okay.

we were having sharing circle, which was our big sit in a circle and everyone talks about their feelings thing.

one of the girls in my class shares with everyone that she has recently decided to become a vegetarian because she went to visit her uncle during march break on his farm and she saw how cows are slaughtered and it was so horrible and she got a little teary and everyone was like d'awwww.

and i was like, i really respect her choice! she was faced with the reality of where meat came from, was not comfortable with the suffering involved, and made the decision not to eat meat. that's brave! and more brave than most folk who will buy a hamburger but try as hard as they can not to think about where the meat came from but still eat it.

basically, i was quoting my father's viewpoint on the subject.

and the teacher is all like "would you like to add to what she has shared?" which was like the prompt to follow up someone else's point or topic.

so i talk about how i go hunting with my father. how my dad teaches me the importance of valuing the life we take, etc. and how the people who can't stand to take life themselves should really think hard about whether it's right of them to benefit from it and enjoy it.

and i tell my first hunting story, about how my father took me out deer hunting and tried to get me to shoot a deer and i was lousy and he took one down but it was still alive and screaming and then he explained to me that it would be wrong to let the deer bleed to death there. that a man who lets anything, anyone, suffer more than it has to when he has the power to stop it is a cruel man, and that a merciful man doesn't just do the kind thing, sometimes he does the horrible thing now, to get it over with.

then he handed me the machete, and had me finish the deer, and then made me watch as he skinned it, showed me how to do it, how to make the best incisions and perserve as much of the animal as possible so you can use everything, or at least give every part to the people who will use it (we'd hit some natives on our way back hunting and they'd buy the organs and stuff).

i am explaining all of this during sharing circle, in calm, cold detail. for me, it's a cool story with a life lesson and totally worth bringing up in sharing circle

my classmates and my teacher are horrified. just big ole D: faces all around.

my teacher's trying to put a positive spin on it, talk about how hunting is just as important as farming and how my dad had a point and etc. but then she's like "that must've been very hard, finishing the deer off like that"

and i was like "no, it was easy, and it felt good and right, because the deer wanted to die and it would've been wrong to let it bleed to death, and it made me feel more in tune with nature and how the world works"

then she got kinda pale and quiet

and sharing circle ended

Pony on
    edited July 2008
    Man.

You donkey punched her inner child and didn't even know.

Goatmon on

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    8th grade, my history teacher suspended a grade on a paper I wrote for a project. Pretty important, mind ya. Apparently I wrote too nice so he thought it was plagiarism. It wasn't, so it was quite satisfying when he gave it back. My past teachers had vouched for me.

Awesome.

Muse Among Men on
    edited July 2008
    Man.

You donkey punched her inner child and didn't even know.

basically yeah

she told my mom at interviews that i should see a counselor or something

my mom was like

f u bitch

thanks mom

the teacher was right

Pony on