As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stories of terrible teachers

191011121315»

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    One of the plus sides to Aspergers is that I developed things like reading really early.

I was in pre-school when I learned how to read. As in actual reading, not just kiddie books. Things like TV credits, movie signs, anything. When Kindergarden came along, my Mom found out that the teacher's lesson plan was designed for kids who had little to know reading skills, and she planned to teach the class one letter and one sound a week. A week. Basically she had nothing whatsoever to teach me, which meant I was going to make her class a living Hell.

My Mother warned her about this. She had told her that if you can't give me anything new to learn, I'm going to be bored, and I will make things difficult. She was certain she could handle me. The poor old woman had no idea what she was in for. At a very young age, if you didn't have my interest, you had no attention from me. And having certain parts of a normal person's social skills disabled in my case, this meant I no tact or reason in my head telling me "You probably shouldn't do this."

I honestly don't remember much back then, mostly what my Mom tells me. I just basically would get up and start messing around with stuff in the middle of her talking, as if she wasn't even there, and it drove her batshit crazy. This went on for a while, because she had absolutely nothing of interest for me to do.

So then the Parent Teacher Confence comes up, and she says to my Mom; "Okay, I'll admit that he can read."

My Mom scoffs and says "Admit? What do you mean, 'Admit'? Of course he can read!"

My Mom's a pretty awesome woman, y'know.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sometimes I wonder if I may have had Aspergers. Age seven, my idea of a good time was sneaking peeks at Law and Order (wasn't allowed to watch it) and reading the encyclopedia.

Shit I was weird.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Aspergers isn't really about being smart early on, it's about being overdeveloped for your age in academics, and having severely underdeveloped social skills.

Goatmon on

• Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you think you have undiagnosed Asperger's, you're probably just a nerd.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't think I have it, but I wasn't right for a child my age when I was young.

I'm just sassy now.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I was in pre-school when I learned how to read. As in actual reading, not just kiddie books. Things like TV credits, movie signs, anything. When Kindergarden came along, my Mom found out that the teacher's lesson plan was designed for kids who had little to know reading skills, and she planned to teach the class one letter and one sound a week. A week. Basically she had nothing whatsoever to teach me, which meant I was going to make her class a living Hell.

OH THE IRONING!

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I don't think I have it, but I wasn't right for a child my age when I was young.

I'm just sassy now.

Nerds.jpg

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Haha!

I'm a closet nerd now. It's a secret.

shh

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    and Castro's a closet Communist

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Haha!

I'm a closet nerd now. It's a secret.

shh
    You too? I thought I was the only one!

Have you seen the new C34 model coming out later this year?

418px-Wall_Closet.jpg

Just look at the shelving space and paneling on that baby... Makes my mouth water.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Le gasp! So many new and exciting possibilities :D

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    and Castro's a closet Communist corpse

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited July 2008
    Raúl, you fuckwit.

I'll fuck your wit.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited July 2008
    Fidel's still alive, if just barely, and Raúl's still kicking.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'll fuck your wit.

The furry thing is creepy, but that's just...I don't know what that is.

I don't think I should be seen with you.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    Clayton BigsbyClayton Bigsby Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wezoin wrote: »
    I had a teacher who taught "careers" (a bullshit course that they get the teachers who cant teach anything else to teach because they just say stuff like "The technology market is going to continue to expand, go into it" and they mark your resumes. Really I have no idea who would ever think making this a mandatory course was a good idea) She lost my ISP (worth 15% of final mark) and then proceeded to accuse me of never handing it in, she then told me she wasn't marking any of my work until I started taking her course seriously. Somehow (despite losing that 15% from the ISP, and having her refuse to mark any work I did thereafter, I ended up with an 87% in the course... and yes, I realise that it is mathematically impossible)

Late but this right here.

I had a similar experience my senior year of high school, in "Journalism" class, which from the very first day had about fuck-all to do with journalism. At first, it was more of a "I don't really know what we're supposed to do so you can just do nothing," then after a couple weeks "Well apparently I can't have you not do anything, so how about you write some poetry every now and then," and after that "Well I think you guys are taking advantage of me not telling you to do anything by not doing anything, so now you're gonna poetry every day." Eventually she would extend this "punishment" even further by stipulating that each poem had to be sonnet length, and read aloud to the class (we actually ended up having quite a bit of fun with that one but I digress).

She has us put all our poetry into a daily journal that we would hand in at the end of the semester and it would count as our final. And that was what became my undoing.

So I turn in my journal the day she asks for it. Was it a bunch of bullshit I whipped up at the last minute? For the most part, yes. IF she had at that point in the school year graded on quality, I'd have what was coming to me and I wouldn't be here bitching about it right now. But she didn't, so it wasn't an issue. She tells us to come by after school and she'd have it all graded. We go by after school, ask for our journals, she tells us to dig them out of a pile in the corner, and we do. As far as I know, everything's in order, and I have no reason to think otherwise.

Except that somehow, at some point between her receiving the notebook from me, and seeing that I did the work and grading it appropriately, she must have slipped into a massive stroke that wiped those events from her mind completely, because the next thing I knew, my A slipped to a D (finals were worth 20% IIRC)

And the worst part? Due to some other, unrelated act of retardation among the school's brass, I never actually got my report card for that semester (or the next one, actually), though the grades themselves still stood. Therefore, I didn't get to find out about my grade in that class until well into the next semester, so nothing could be done about it (Though it somehow didn't make much difference, since it didn't affect my standing in the national honors society, or my acceptance of my scholarship, and all it did do was drop my class rank a tiny bit).

Really, I'm only mad because of this: throughout the entire school year I've had this lady in class, she never taught anything (every other teacher I had, no matter how much bullshit the class was, at least attempted to teach us something, and I can respect them for at least that much). In fact, she never did anything other than mark down roll or maybe provide a movie for us to watch on a slow day. She never even gave us a poem topic to write about whenever she demanded one, but took the suggestion from the loudest person to provide one. In more than one way, grading those damn notebooks was the ONE thing she ever had to do all year to justify her paycheck, ONE thing she ever had to do all year to show us she had even the barest level of competence in what she chose for a career. And she FAILED. She FUCKING FAILED.

And to my knowledge, she still teaches there.

facepalm.jpg

Wow. this was a lot longer than I intended it.

tl;dr-Bullshit teacher comes close to singlehandedly wrecking my GPA because she's a stupid cunt. Yet somehow everything worked out.

Clayton Bigsby on
  • Options
    DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I had a math teacher in high school who divided the distance traveled by the fuel used, and came up with the unit "gallons per mile." When I corrected him, he and the rest of the class said "it's the same thing" and "it doesn't matter."

I'm like ARE YOU INSANE? If you did this in any other math class, let alone a PHYSICS class, you would fail. With that little attention to detail you might as well be teaching english.

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    .05 Gallons per Mile

20 Miles per Gallon.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ruckus wrote: »
    .05 Gallons per Mile

20 Miles per Gallon.

yeah, but his was 20 gallons/mile when it should have been 20 miles/gallon

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think everyone realised this and discounted it as it was still following the same line.

You were being literalist

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I think everyone realised this and discounted it as it was still following the same line.

You were being literalist

no, you see, the result was being used in another equation after that...

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, just pretend the car was a superhummer or something.

As for grades, I got the 0.0 Z score for english.

Dead fucking center. I yelled bullseye and everyone kinda looked at me

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    haha, awesome

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    All the other kids talk about how they got jipped on their latest assignment, or how a teacher marks weirdly and that's why they do badly, but I always talk about how I make ridiculous grade comebacks and other silly things.

The nerds take it so seriousely, and they get really pissed off, but I just smile and laugh and tell stories. For example, my english essays were total dogshit, but my grade was always saved by my oral presentations, all slideshows with dancing bear gifs and shit.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Clayton BigsbyClayton Bigsby Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I don't get it.

What's a Z score?

edit: nvm I googled it

Clayton Bigsby on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

I don't get it.

What's a Z score?

z for zero point zero?

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'll fuck your wit.

The furry thing is creepy, but that's just...I don't know what that is.

I don't think I should be seen with you.

Man, why'd you go and do that for? You delete a post like a conversation never happened, but then post about it afterwards. That doesn't even make sense.

Besides, it's not like I can't just go and edit your post back into mine.

Goatmon on

• Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I'm just sassy now.

I uh

I still find reading articles about various chemicals and physics theories on wikipedia interesting

and maps are awesome

All the other kids talk about how they got jipped on their latest assignment, or how a teacher marks weirdly and that's why they do badly, but I always talk about how I make ridiculous grade comebacks and other silly things.

The nerds take it so seriousely, and they get really pissed off, but I just smile and laugh and tell stories. For example, my english essays were total dogshit, but my grade was always saved by my oral presentations, all slideshows with dancing bear gifs and shit.

This year of school I can still do barely any work and get top marks, which really pisses off the nerd who is in all of my classes

first year uni is going to be a right cunt of a year.

L|ama on
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    L|ama wrote: »

I'm just sassy now.

I uh

I still find reading articles about various chemicals and physics theories on wikipedia interesting

and maps are awesome

This year of school I can still do barely any work and get top marks, which really pisses off the nerd who is in all of my classes

first year uni is going to be a right cunt of a year.

Maybe you should work hard and get a head start on it instead of slacking off your senior year of high school?
    I speak from experience. Granted, I got through my first year of Uni just fine, but I really wish I had used my senior year of high school productively.

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    But I'm really enjoying getting immensely drunk every other weekend and not doing anything outside of school :(

L|ama on
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    L|ama wrote: »
    But I'm really enjoying getting immensely drunk every other weekend and not doing anything outside of school :(

Just do that in the summer, dude...

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346