As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wait a minute, there's a new DS Trauma Center?

YaYaYaYa Decent.Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
traumacent270004.jpg

And it's out in like a week!

Where the hell did that come from? Under the Knife is one of my favourite games ever!

Are we excited?

YaYa on

• Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yes, it was announced some time ago. It's a direct sequel to the original Under the Knife, starring the original Dr. Styles and Nurse Angie...

Better get a screen protector ready...

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just barely beat the first one after a week of constant expletives streaming from my mouth. I blame this game for breaking both my original DS and first Lite.

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have never beaten the first one, because of that damn Titri strain.

I should go try it again.

Gorilla Salad on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ... God damn it. Another one? I haven't finished the first one. It's too difficult. D:

Henroid on
  • BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just barely beat the first one after a week of constant expletives streaming from my mouth. I blame this game for breaking both my original DS and first Lite.

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited.

I didn't break any DSes, but this pretty much mirrors my feelings about TC. Before I finally beat the final sin (man fuck the X missions I don't even want to talk about it), I'm pretty sure my girlfriend was going to hold an intervention. God knows I was going to develop hypertension or something due to that shit.

Ballman on
    edited June 2008
    Jesus Christ I forgot about the X missions. I played one for a few minutes and decided I was a bit young to die of a stress-induced brain aneurysm. I turned the game off and placed it gently in its case. There it has remained.

About the DS breakage: I don't think it was Trauma Center per se, but the original DS was pretty far gone already and the overuse caused by TC killed it. The touch screen stopped responding properly. I promptly bought a lite and it developed The Crack. I just blamed Trauma Center because I was fighting Savato and felt like it was responsible, regardless of facts or logic.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So I picked this up on a whim on the 1st along with Shiren, and I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot more than I thought I would. I've never played a Trauma Center game before, but since sinking a bit of time into this I've realized the error of my ways. I've also discovered some of the DS throwing frustration this series can invoke, especially during
    the first PGS operation in chapter 2. I could get to the last 4 tumors easily but just could not scalpel the veins and stabilize the patient before my Healing Touch expired.
    I had to switch to easy to clear it, which I did with an S ranking on the first try.

I'm definitely picking the first TC up after I get through this one and then will probably make my way onto the Wii versions after. If I'm having as much fun with this as I am as a n00b to the series then I'mn sure vets will enjoy it as well.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    The fuck? There are difficulty levels?

Gorilla Salad on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Yes. Difficulty levels were introduced with Trauma Center Second Opinion, in which you could switch between Easy, Medium, and Hard, at any time during the story mode. So if you got frustrated or stuck on a certain surgery, you could lower the difficulty to pass it, then move on, and set the difficulty back up to Medium or Hard. You could then, if you like, go back to those missions you played on Easy and tackle them on Medium or Hard when you feel up to it.

It's an excellent decision on Atlus's part in implementing difficulties like that.

Anyway, I'll be getting this game, just not super soon. I have trauma center UTK, Second Opinion, and New Blood.

New Blood is the best by good measure. It even has more features and different surgeries than Under the Knife 2. I highly recommend it to anyone.

slash000 on
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    New Blood was a great game, but this one's more fun...at least to me. The wii controls always felt just a tad off, and the touch screen works better in that regard. I kinda liked the rumble feature of the wii though. It made things feel a little more coherent.

The game's pretty brutal though. I haven't had too many problems, but the one surgery
    against the new strain of Perita (sp?) the fluid based Guilt, is a pain. I've yet to beat it

We can't be the only people who bought this.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    edited July 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

Yes. Difficulty levels were introduced with Trauma Center Second Opinion, in which you could switch between Easy, Medium, and Hard, at any time during the story mode. So if you got frustrated or stuck on a certain surgery, you could lower the difficulty to pass it, then move on, and set the difficulty back up to Medium or Hard. You could then, if you like, go back to those missions you played on Easy and tackle them on Medium or Hard when you feel up to it.

It's an excellent decision on Atlus's part in implementing difficulties like that.
    Motherfucker! Should have just got second opinion, then. I could get past this damn surgery then!

Gorilla Salad on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Already picked it up on general principle. I guess I'll switch to it once I'm at a good pausing point in EO2.

Though I really should finish New Blood first(I skipped SO since I have it on DS).

If this is worse than New Blood, then it must be nightmarish(New Blood has third degree burn skin transplant operations).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Jesus Christ I forgot about the X missions. I played one for a few minutes and decided I was a bit young to die of a stress-induced brain aneurysm. I turned the game off and placed it gently in its case. There it has remained.

About the DS breakage: I don't think it was Trauma Center per se, but the original DS was pretty far gone already and the overuse caused by TC killed it. The touch screen stopped responding properly. I promptly bought a lite and it developed The Crack. I just blamed Trauma Center because I was fighting Savato and felt like it was responsible, regardless of facts or logic.

Ah yes, the X missions....I could get pretty far into the first one but then it was just like jesus smited me down and said "fuck you!" so...fuck the shit out of those, the anger....THE ANGER!

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Already picked it up on general principle. I guess I'll switch to it once I'm at a good pausing point in EO2.

Though I really should finish New Blood first(I skipped SO since I have it on DS).

If this is worse than New Blood, then it must be nightmarish(New Blood has third degree burn skin transplant operations).
    UtK2 has them as well, as well as a liver transplant with a nasty surprise.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    A bit off-topic, but has anyone tried Lifesigns? I always thought it looked more appealing and down-to-earth than Trauma Center. Not that I don't like Trauma Center, but it gets a bit much at times.

As far as I can understand, Lifesigns is the same thing, but with a focus on patient-doctor relationship rather than constant surgery.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited July 2008
    Lifesigns is boring. SO BORING. All they do is talk, on and on forever. It's also very Japanesey, complete with generic anime art style and cumbersome dialogue. The actual surgery part is much more like a variety of puzzle-like, skill-test-type minigames (instructions are given as you play, there are no scores popping up on screen) than the arcade/action gameplay of trauma center. I suppose you could call the game more realistic. The art style and surgeries are more down-to-earth at least. It's less difficult. But it's not a surgery game, it's more like an interactive novel with surgery minigames.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • ScrabbleDudeScrabbleDude Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh crap, I forgot this was out. I'll have to be grabbing it.

ScrabbleDude on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't know if my DS can handle another Trauma Center game, but I will be picking this up as soon as I can.

The last one was mysteriously rough on the touchscreen. I have no idea what could have caused it either.
    FUCK YOU SAVATO! FUCK YOU! *STAB STAB STAB*

Asiina on
    edited July 2008
    Yeah I need to get this game, I love the first one, I just never beat those X missions is all. My friends couldnt seem to beat the game...I had trouble with some
    like that one thats...that regrowing one and you need to rip them off fast and they just keep coming back and then suck up that shit that comes out...that ones was a fuckin test of patience and luck and omg anger, I never understood how to beat it but the time I did it was because they just stopped regrowing I dunno...bah, Im gettin this game...have to..

mastrius on
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm really enjoying this game. I loved the first one, though I never did beat the X missions. New Blood was a lot of fun too, but I don't like the Wii controls. Changing tools with the nunchuk is awesome, but I am so much faster and more precise with the stylus than the wiimote. I'm still somewhere in the middle of New Blood, but I might go back to it after I finish UTK2.

elevature on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    At least Stigma(NB's evil virus o' death) isn't as bad as GUILT. It's more annoying, but not nearly as time-consuming(die, Triti, die).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    elevature wrote: »
    New Blood was a lot of fun too, but I don't like the Wii controls. Changing tools with the nunchuk is awesome, but I am so much faster and more precise with the stylus than the wiimote.
    I'll echo this (although I was a bit disappointed with New Blood, so maybe I'd replace that with "Second Opinion".) I could never keep my hands steady enough to play the Wii versions.

UtK2 is great. I consider it superior to New Blood if only because the story doesn't suck. (Was I the only one who just didn't care about the characters in NB?) Gameplay-wise, it is somewhat of an incremental upgrade over NB, but for anyone who missed out on the Wii versions, it'll be a huge jump. It's also harder than NB, which is saying a lot because NB was bloody hard.

Billmaan on
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I really enjoyed the original ds game - but on my lite the touchscreen seems off - the more to the right of the screen, the larger the gap gets. I'm not sure it can stand up to the precision required, though I guess I could just put my copy of the first game in and see how it holds up.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the original ds game - but on my lite the touchscreen seems off - the more to the right of the screen, the larger the gap gets. I'm not sure it can stand up to the precision required, though I guess I could just put my copy of the first game in and see how it holds up.

Have you tried calibrating the touch screen?

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What. WHAT

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • FrabbaFrabba Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Conquered the original :booyah:

Will pick this up when i get bored with FFTA2.

Frabba on
    I'm big in Internet Spaceships.
    edited July 2008
    At least Stigma(NB's evil virus o' death) isn't as bad as GUILT. It's more annoying, but not nearly as time-consuming(die, Triti, die).

Yeah Triti, that was the one I had trouble with...thats also where my friends stopped playing the game lol. Imagine the X mission with Triti???? O.o

mastrius on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Triti isn't hard if you understand the pattern it grows in. Basically anytime there are two spikes together and an empty space for a triangle to grow, a triangle will grow. So just make sure that in the area you're working on there are never two spikes side by side. Then just work on it from one side of the organ to the other.

Triti is one of the ones I would do for fun after I beat the game. It's logical and relaxing. Savato on the other hand can eat a dick.

Asiina on
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Or you could just beat Titri the easy way.

Healing Touch, remove all of the pins, then you're free to cut and remove the triangles without worrying about them regenerating.

elevature on
    edited July 2008
    elevature wrote: »
    Or you could just beat Titri the easy way.

Healing Touch, remove all of the pins, then you're free to cut and remove the triangles without worrying about them regenerating.

Thats how I beat it when I did lol, it was awesome.

mastrius on
    edited July 2008
    Though in GUILT's defense, Stigma requires you to take on two different strains of it at once.

Imagine trying to do Savato and Triti at the same time. NB has a mission that's almost like that.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited July 2008
    Though in GUILT's defense, Stigma requires you to take on two different strains of it at once.

Imagine trying to do Savato and Triti at the same time. NB has a mission that's almost like that.

Two words: Fuck that.

mastrius on
    edited July 2008
    God, Sige is a bitch. Anyone managed to beat it on hard difficulty yet? There must be some trick I'm missing...I've failed this level more than all the others combined.

Billmaan on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I could beat the X missions on the DS, but fuck doing them on hard in Second Opinion. Fuck them in hell.

Lemming on
    edited July 2008
    Aha. There is a trick to Sige.
    After you excise it, it stops creating hemorrhages, so that's your chance to patch up the patient and heal to full.
    I kind of wish they'd hinted at that.

Billmaan on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So there is a demo of this available on the DS download service this week.

I never played the original on DS, only SO on Wii. Playing the Demo, I found myself frustrated by not being able to change tools quickly enough. I'm sure part of that was simply not being familiar with the location of the tools, but I have to wonder: after the success of the Wii versions' nunchuck selection method, why didn't they allow you to set tools to corresspond with either the d-Pad or the face buttons. You know, push left for laser, right for forceps, down for scalpel, up for stitches. That sort of thing. Maybe use the L or R button, too. The most commonly used tools would be face-button selectable, and the rest would be selected via touch screen. Users could map whatever tools they wanted to the buttons, or eschew the buttons for touch screen control.

It seems like that setup would be much more efficient and allow for greater control.

I don't know, I don't have the game so maybe Atlus did add some of this stuff, but it seems like it's kind of a wasted opportunity...more of the same, rather than improving the original....

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I bought the original trauma center for cheap like three days ago. I just beat chapter one.
    During the first healing touch mission, I got so tense I kept hitting scalpel instead of suture, then wondering why it wasn't working, then jabbing the patient with a needle, then rehitting scalpel. I cut my patient to death and jabbed him with a needle to make sure I could do it again in bullettime. D:

However I find it quite fun and am a sucker for hard games.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hmm I really liked Second Opinion, so I ordered this straight away. Oh well, at least I've got New Blood to keep me busy until it arrives-OH WAIT, IT'S NOT OUT HERE YET

Just gimme the damn game already :cry:

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If I wanted to be this frustrated, I'd nail my dick to my stomach.

The odd thing is, I'll still play the fucking thing.

Meiz on