As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What the Hell Happened to Sony?

Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
I liked my original title more. :)

Anyway I just wrote an enormous editorial on Sony for eToychest and thought it was something that might be worth linking to over here. For those that are afraid of verbal diarrhea, be warned that this is only the first half or so. It goes up to where Sony is now, looking at the PS2 and PSP. The more forward-looking part about the PS3 is still to come...

Chris FOM on

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    In short, what happened was Sony assuming that the customers will always be there no matter what they make or how much they charge for it, simply because they're #1 by so big a margin.

They got cocky, basically. Then they went insane.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dude.. I'm to your second paragraph, and I'm seeing a shit-ton of bias already. If I were a Sony fan, i'd stop reading there.. and hell, even as a fan of gaming this would turn me off a bit.

Save the bashing for later, once you've backed it up. =/

Sorry. I'll get off my high horse now. *goes back to reading*

Edit: By the by, headers would REALLY help. Even if it's just a bold title for the second name.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i recently saw a great forum thread summing up the last year for Sony.

it was from Gamespot's System Wars forum of all places:
    http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25247543

don't worry, the OP is really just a series of links to articles and editorials key to Sony's last year.

basically, Sony really fucked up. and not just with their gaming division. i already came to the decision a while ago, but all the links from that thread sum up my feelings about Sony: i will not buy their products. nothing produced by them, or manufactured for third parties like their exploding batteries or mobile phones.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    nicely written, covers all the main points.

LewieP on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This isn't specifically a Sony-exclusive trend. Whenever a company starts dominating the industry, they get cocky.

And eventually, they get slapped down. It's a vicious cycle.

It happened to Nintendo. It'll happen to Sony too. Circle of life.

Or something.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • HAKdragonHAKdragon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I read it and I thought it was good, but there's an error dealing with the Progressive Scan DVD playback on the PS2. I sent an email to the mail bag, but I'll post it here since I didn't know the author was a member of the board.
    My email wrote:
    In a recent article posted on eToychest, entitled "What in World Happened to Sony?" the author mentions that the PS2 did not gain support for the playback of DVDs in progressive scan mode until the "PStwo" redesign.

"...PS2 was never more than a mediocre DVD player at best, not even supporting progressive scan until the PStwo re-release."

While I am not trying to argue the points that the author brings up about the PS2s flaws, it should be mentioned that earlier versions of the console did support progressive scan playback of DVDs. To quote wikipedia,

"...V9 (model number SCPH-50000/SCPH-50001), which added the Infrared port for the optional DVD Remote control, removed the FireWire port, added the capability to read DVD-RW and +RW discs, added progressive-scan output of DVD movies, and a quieter fan."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2#Original_case_design

HAKdragon on
    hakdragon.png
  • MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    cj iwakura wrote:
    This isn't specifically a Sony-exclusive trend. Whenever a company starts dominating the industry, they get cocky.

And eventually, they get slapped down. It's a vicious cycle.

It happened to Nintendo. It'll happen to Sony too. Circle of life.

Or something.

The exception will be if they can establish enough lock-in. This is hard to do in the console marketplace, but if anyone can do it, Microsoft can. It will be interesting to see what lock-in strategies they can establish over the next couple of years.

That said, Sony really do make Microsoft look like the "good guys".

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oops, my bad. :oops: I could sworn the big PS2 never supported 480p and it was only the PStwo version that did. Damn it. Obviously doesn't affect the article any, but I still hate getting facts like that incorrect.

And Athenor, I hope you do keep reading. While very critical of Sony, that's because I've seen them screw up left and right since E3 2005, and I think they deserve the criticism. I tried very hard to give credit where it's due, and in the case of the PS1 and PS2 Sony deservers a hell of a lot. The first paragraph and most of the talk about the PS2 is saying everything Sony did right. But it seems clear to me that starting with the PSp and to an extent the PS3 Sony has made a ton of screw-ups that have really hurt them on a number of levels.

Chris FOM on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Okay, this article is getting better, and a lot of facts backing up some of the more out there statements.

But seriously, man. A little less vitriol in the beginning will save your mail filter a lot of time. ;-)

Edit: It's cool, man. I rarely, if ever, will stop reading a well-written article.. and this is well written, I'll give it that.

A paragraph of good stuff isn't gonna cut it, I'm afraid. Perhaps wrap it in something like "what could've been," and show that Sony's heart was in the right place... I dunno. Admittedly, i'm a Nintendo fanboy, but that hat goes off the second I start critiquing something. It's just my nature, and it's why I'm going to school to be a teacher. =)

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • aesiraesir __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Im gonna wait a bit more till Sony's stock drops some more, and then Im gonna buy a ton because you just KNOW that sony will bounce back regardless of whatever dumb shit they do.

aesir on
  • NaromNarom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    cj iwakura wrote:
    I'm of the opinion that companies don't actually ever "get cocky", but that's another discussion entirely.

I have one point I'd like to address in the article--I disagree with the implied assumption that Sony somehow screwed up with the PSP, and that that is the explanation for its relatively poor performance. UMD aside, Sony really didn't do anything wrong with the PSP; if anything, their strategy would probably have been very successful against a standard handheld gaming device. However, Nintendo didn't release a standard handheld device. The PSP "failed" simply because Nintendo had a more successful strategy.

Narom on
    <cursive>Narom</cursive>
  • lazerbeardlazerbeard Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I never saw Microsoft as a "bad guy" anyway, they're just a company that got huge because people bought their stuff. Yeah, IE is kinda sucky, but they've never tried to pull off some major scale bullshit over on their consumers or as far as I know never were dicks.

lazerbeard on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Athenor wrote:
    Okay, this article is getting better, and a lot of facts backing up some of the more out there statements.

But seriously, man. A little less vitriol in the beginning will save your mail filter a lot of time. ;-)

Edit: It's cool, man. I rarely, if ever, will stop reading a well-written article.. and this is well written, I'll give it that.

A paragraph of good stuff isn't gonna cut it, I'm afraid. Perhaps wrap it in something like "what could've been," and show that Sony's heart was in the right place... I dunno. Admittedly, i'm a Nintendo fanboy, but that hat goes off the second I start critiquing something. It's just my nature, and it's why I'm going to school to be a teacher. =)
    To be fair though, editorials aren't news pieces, and they don't need to be free of bias.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Just givin some general editing advice here, dissociated from the actual content.

"The DS is the exact opposite, where the top 10 is not only dominated by DS games that stay around for months."

This sentence is disjointed. "Not only" implies a secondary statement, but the sentence is not formatted to show the statement occured. The brain runs right over both going "huh, where's the statement, wait that made no sense."
    Lose the not only? I can't see where it's necessary.

"And then there is the media format itself. But really, the less said about UMD the better."

What is this for? Is it a professional report? I don't know what etoychest is. Anyway, this statement gives people ammunition, even if its bad ammunition, its still there, because you didn't explain anything. I don't think you should assume your reader knows what you are talking about.
    Also its a whole paragraph consisting of two lines and starting with an "and", it looks sloppy. :P Perhaps actually explain, it wouldn't take more than a line or two, or cut them out.
    To be honest, those two sentences smack of lazy arguing and look really bad, both in presentation and content. They seem out of place.

Also you say the sales for the psp is dammning because the software and the hardware sales seem unrelated, but have no mention of the ds. I'm sure the ds has a much better relationship but perhaps add a line with the contrasting sales. Say, ff3? I'm sure that sold a lot of ds just by itself. I'm not saying your arguments are bad btw, it's just that that paragraph is a little island of psp sony woe with no nintendo comparison, so uninformed people might look at it and say "Well, what are the ds figures in comparison, maybe thats normal for a hand held?" then dismiss your article. :(

These are just grammatical and general editing I feel would make your piece much stronger, I don't have much fault with it since it's obvious the casual tone is intentional. It's engaging and well written, those things just struck me as being odd man outs in the general jibe of the article.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited January 2007
    Narom wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:
    I'm of the opinion that companies don't actually ever "get cocky", but that's another discussion entirely.

I have one point I'd like to address in the article--I disagree with the implied assumption that Sony somehow screwed up with the PSP, and that that is the explanation for its relatively poor performance. UMD aside, Sony really didn't do anything wrong with the PSP; if anything, their strategy would probably have been very successful against a standard handheld gaming device. However, Nintendo didn't release a standard handheld device. The PSP "failed" simply because Nintendo had a more successful strategy.
    Then I have to wonder, why does the GBA still out sell it?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • AndorienAndorien Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Narom wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:

I dunno, I think using an optical drive (moving parts + battery drain + higher load times) combined with the fragility of the system and the high development costs are pretty damning by themselves. I was fooled like the rest of the world and bought one at launch. I held onto it until last December, until I finally sold it in disgust and grabbed a DS Lite.

Andorien on
  • Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Just givin some general editing advice here, dissociated from the actual content.

"The DS is the exact opposite, where the top 10 is not only dominated by DS games that stay around for months."

This sentence is disjointed. "Not only" implies a secondary statement, but the sentence is not formatted to show the statement occured. The brain runs right over both going "huh, where's the statement, wait that made no sense."

"And then there is the media format itself. But really, the less said about UMD the better."

What is this for? Is it a professional report? I don't know what etoychest is. Anyway, this statement gives people ammunition, even if its bad ammunition, its still there, because you didn't explain anything. I don't think you should assume your reader knows what you are talking about.
    Also its a whole paragraph consisting of two lines and starting with an "and", it looks sloppy. :P Perhaps actually explain, it wouldn't take more than a line or two, or cut them out.
    To be honest, those two sentences smack of lazy arguing and look really bad, both in presentation and content. They seem out of place.

Also you say the sales for the psp is dammning because the software and the hardware sales seem unrelated, but have no mention of the ds. I'm sure the ds has a much better relationship but perhaps add a line with the contrasting sales. Say, ff3? I'm sure that sold a lot of ds just by itself. I'm not saying your arguments are bad btw, it's just that that paragraph is a little island of psp sony woe with no nintendo comparison, so uninformed people might look at it and say "Well, what are the ds figures in comparison, maybe thats normal for a hand held?" then dismiss your article. :(

These are just grammatical and general editing I feel would make your piece much stronger, I don't have much fault with it since it's obvious the casual tone is intentional. It's engaging and well written, those things just struck me as being odd man outs in the general jibe of the article.

I left out stuff on the DS sales because at that point I was finished contrasting the PSP with the DS and was sticking strictly to the PSP. I didn't want to keep cross-pollinating where I went back and forth between comparisons and individual discussions.

As for the other two grammatical complaints, they're valid complaints, but not in the original editorial. Those were placed in by editors after I submitted the piece. I didn't get to proofread any changes after I turned it in, and those aren't the only changes that were made. The title was modified, a few new paragraph breaks were inserted, and other phrasings were changed as well.

Anyway, the statement on DS software sales was supposed to read "The DS is the exact opposite, where the top 10 is not only dominated by DS games but they stay for months (emphasis added)." IE PSP games rarely make the top 10 list, and when they do, they disappear almost immediately. DS games not only dominate that same list, but they stay in the top 10 forever, selling huge amounts week after week. The DS whips the PSP both on number of titles in the top 10 and longevity. That "but" that got eliminated makes the use of "not only" acceptable, but for some reason got removed after submission. For the UMD paragraph, it originally read "Of course, the less said about UMD, the better." It was intentionally a single sentence that was designed to slam UMD for the absolute joke it quickly became. UMD movie sales were an abject disaster on every level possible, studios cut releases, stores slashed displays, etc. Rather than spend a ton of time in an already long editorial arguing a point that was [relatively] obvious, I chose to instead save space and go for a simple dismissal because it's really, truly a situation where nothing more needs to be said. The market's total rejection of UMD movies makes my case for me, and there's just nothing I can add.

Chris FOM on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Chris FOM wrote:

I left out stuff on the DS sales because at that point I was finished contrasting the PSP with the DS and was sticking strictly to the PSP. I didn't want to keep cross-pollinating where I went back and forth between comparisons and individual discussions.

As for the other two grammatical complaints, they're valid complaints, but not in the original editorial. Those were placed in by editors after I submitted the piece. I didn't get to proofread any changes after I turned it in, and those aren't the only changes that were made. The title was modified, a few new paragraph breaks were inserted, and other phrasings were changed as well.

Anyway, the statement on DS software sales was supposed to read "The DS is the exact opposite, where the top 10 is not only dominated by DS games but they stay for months (emphasis added)." IE PSP games rarely make the top 10 list, and when they do, they disappear. DS games not only dominate that same list, but they stay in the top 10 forever, selling huge amounts week after week. The DS whips the PSP both on number of titles in the top 10 and longevity. That "but" that got eliminated makes the use of "not only" acceptable, but for some reason got removed after submission. For the UMD paragraph, it originally read "Of course, the less said about UMD, the better." It was intentionally a single sentence that was designed to slam UMD for the absolute joke it quickly became. UMD movie sales were an abject disaster on every level possible, studios cut releases, stores slashed displays, etc. Rather than spend a ton of time in an already long editorial arguing a point that was [relatively] obvious, I chose to instead save space and go for a simple dismissal because it's really, truly a situation where nothing more needs to be said. The market's total rejection of UMD movies makes my case for me, and there's just nothing I can add.

Man, your editors suck. :)
    I understand the UMD disaster. You understand it. I was just pointing out that others might not. Not everyone has the information you and I do, hell some people actually look to these kinds of editorials for information and really don't know anything else. Isn't that who you're writing for? If not, then yeah, its fine. I didn't mean to cause any offense, I've been helpin my gf do her reports all year so its natural to suggest basic stuff.
    Your editors really suck, sticking a grammatical error back in.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • NaromNarom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Andorien wrote:
    Narom wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:

I dunno, I think using an optical drive (moving parts + battery drain + higher load times) combined with the fragility of the system and the high development costs are pretty damning by themselves. I was fooled like the rest of the world and bought one at launch. I held onto it until last December, until I finally sold it in disgust and grabbed a DS Lite.
    Well, I did make a specific mention of my statement not covering UMD (at least as far as a movie format). However, I wouldn't consider the other issues listed to be damning. Fragility may instantly seem like a flaw, but that's only if you look at it from the perspective of a "toy" (rather than an electronic device). As for high development costs, that was not enough to deter the early stream of support it recieved.

Judging from the features included in the PSP, it was clear that Sony wanted to create a system with broader appeal than a normal handheld gaming device, and it could have worked.

Narom on
    <cursive>Narom</cursive>
  • Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SONY SUX LOOL!!!

Yea, we get it

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
    edited January 2007
    Narom wrote:
    Andorien wrote:
    Narom wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:

Well, I did make a specific mention of my statement not covering UMD (at least as far as a movie format). However, I wouldn't consider the other issues listed to be damning. Fragility may instantly seem like a flaw, but that's only if you look at it from the perspective of a "toy" (rather than an electronic device). As for high development costs, that was not enough to deter the early stream of support it recieved.

Judging from the features included in the PSP, it was clear that Sony wanted to create a system with broader appeal than a normal handheld gaming device, and it could have worked.

I'd argue that the fragility IS damning. It really doesn't matter whether you look at it as a toy or as a serious piece of computing equipment. Since we're hardly perfect, to imagine that stuff isn't going to be occasionally dropped, mishandled, sat upon, or jammed into pockets containing god knows what seems rather short sighted. When making a portable device designed to leave the home, you should equip it to handle a minimum level of stress.

I don't recall mentioning the UMD format, only the optical drive, which brings problems regardless of the format used, so I assume by UMD you originally meant the decision to use that type of media at all. If that's the case, it seems silly to just brush aside such a major issue and say "oh yeah, it would have been great otherwise." Well, of course. A hospital patient might be able to run a triathlon if it weren't for that whole "cancer and AIDS combined" nonsense.

As for the ease of development, you're right, it didn't deter them at first. It wouldn't have been a problem if it stood alone (such as with the PS2). Since before the launch of the system its other problems weren't near as apparent and consumer apathy hadn't reared its ugly face yet, it simply wasn't much of an issue. But when the problems were made manifest, devs had to take a serious look at their income made on the PSP compared with the development costs. If people had actually been buying software to make up for it, things would have been fine. If it were the reverse (not so much software, but cheap to make), again, it wouldn't have been as much of a problem. But when things are shitty on both sides, it creates a situation where in order to remain profitable, the company must scale back development accordingly.

Andorien on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I almost teared up during the part of your epic story where Nintendo valiantly and against all odds smote the PSP, rendering it a dead system in one fell avalanche of software even though everyone had known that Nintendo was about to go bankrupt.

Truly, you write moving fiction. Perhaps you should try to publish a full novel?

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm barely in and you've already made the mistake about progressive scan, claimed the PS2 was "a mediocre DVD player at best" when it was the only DVD player in the household for millions of people until a few years ago, and then you downplayed analog buttons, whose underuse is a fault of developers, not Sony themselves. (An analogy would be blaming Nintendo for third party Wii games not taking advantage of the Wii Remote).

And now you're talking about Nintendo dominating the handheld market like it's a surprise.

And now you're talking with an authority you don't posess concerning a sequel to the PSP. Ok. And now you seem to have an intimate knowledge of how Sony would react in this hypothetical situation. Do you have insider information you aren't sharing?

So, so far you've showed me that you can't be bothered to get your facts straight, check your grammar, or acknowledge that you have no clue how a gargantuan corporation... and that you have a shady understanding of the history of console/portable gaming.

Bravo. I look forward to the next installment.

Maybe if you had some semblance of neutrality your writing wouldn't sound like it was straight out of a Nintendo fanboy's GameFaqs post. You've got most of the information, you just don't seem to know what to do with it. You've got most of the ideas, but you're presenting them in a very one-sided manner.

Einhander on
  • KarfKarf The Past Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    As I see it, it's a very one sided story.

Sony makes PSP. PSP flops. Nintendo has massive success. Nintendo eats babies to celebrate, Jesus weeps.

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Karf wrote:

Sony makes PSP. PSP flops. Nintendo has massive success. Nintendo eats babies to celebrate, Jesus weeps.

MOER LIEK JESUS BUYS A WII M I RITE???

Edit: Oh God what a terrible way to start a new page...

Einhander on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What happened to Sony? They shifted their business from making video game consoles to making internet memes. They're doing a pretty damn good job too, in 2006 they were the industry leader.

-SPI- on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    -SPI- wrote:
    What happened to Sony? They shifted their business from making video game consoles to making internet memes. They're doing a pretty damn good job too, in 2006 they were the industry leader.
    olol, where will they be in 5 years time, playing ridge racer with giant enemy crabs, for massive damage?

[spoiler:542461ffef]£599!!!!!!!!! Ridge Racer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/spoiler:542461ffef]

LewieP on
  • RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I spent about an hour walking around Sony's booth at CES today. I'm no Sony fan, mind you, but a lot of the stuff they had out there was pretty impressive. In truth, the PSP and PS3 sections were some of the weakest in the booth (take with a grain of salt, as I'm not a huge fan of either).

In short, consumers are still buying by name. That won't change until Sony puts out a TV that goatses you evey time you turn it on.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2007
    Ronen wrote:
    In short, consumers are still buying by name. That won't change until Sony puts out a TV that goatses you evey time you turn it on.
    Who told you about the PS4 splash screen?

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited January 2007
    Sony is still a good company, but some of their decisions for the game side of the business has just been weird recently. I have no doubts that the PS3 will gain momentum, though. It just won't be as big as the PS2 because of the price. Even if there were 20 A++ games out right now, it wouldn't move as many units because of the tag. Sales will go up tons when price is no longer a factor.

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    syndalis wrote:
    Ronen wrote:
    Who told you about the PS4 splash screen?

PS9: So Sony can now goatse you in the brain.TM

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
    edited January 2007
    It's like goatse you can watch outside!

I don't think I'm doing this right at all.

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited January 2007
    Karf wrote:

Sony creates device that can capture goatse out of thin air.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
    edited January 2007
    -SPI- wrote:

untitled1rw9.png

Andorien on
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Einhander wrote:
    I'm barely in and you've already made the mistake about progressive scan, claimed the PS2 was "a mediocre DVD player at best" when it was the only DVD player in the household for millions of people until a few years ago

I don't see where popularity and quality connect. In both my use of PS2s and Xboxes, it's fairly routine (about once per movie viewing) to see a skip as the player transitions from one chapter to another. I will say, however, that "modiocre...at best," might be a bit much.
    And now you're talking about Nintendo dominating the handheld market like it's a surprise.

Alot of people (including me) saw the DS and thought it was the next Virtual Boy. Instead it's had periods where it outsold the "real" consoles. I'd say that's a bit of a surprise.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • sethsezsethsez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Woodroez wrote:
    Einhander wrote:
    I'm barely in and you've already made the mistake about progressive scan, claimed the PS2 was "a mediocre DVD player at best" when it was the only DVD player in the household for millions of people until a few years ago

I don't see where popularity and quality connect.
    It was really quite decent for the price at the time compared to what else was on the market. By 2004, obviously not so much, but by that point its ability to play DVDs was a non-factor anyway.

sethsez on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    why is the OP article linked to and not quoted? screams sitewhoring. lol etoychest is a sitewhore. :o

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nintendo is in the process of rebuilding it's name. Sony is in the process of burning it down. :lol:

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
    edited January 2007
    Einhander wrote:
    Two years ago, it was a surprise. Everybody, even here, thought the Playstation brand was going to fucking dominate the handheld market, just the same as it dominated the console market. But for all the Sony hate, people never seem quite willing to predict they might fail at something.
    Maybe if you had some semblance of neutrality your writing wouldn't sound like it was straight out of a Nintendo fanboy's GameFaqs post. You've got most of the information, you just don't seem to know what to do with it. You've got most of the ideas, but you're presenting them in a very one-sided manner.
    And once again, welcome to a fucking editorial. Editorials aren't meant to be unbiased. The whole fucking point of an editorial is to present an opinion.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Woodroez wrote:
    Einhander wrote:

I don't see where popularity and quality connect. In both my use of PS2s and Xboxes, it's fairly routine (about once per movie viewing) to see a skip as the player transitions from one chapter to another. I will say, however, that "modiocre...at best," might be a bit much.

Are you sure that's not the layer change? If so that's pretty much ubiquitous in DVD players due to the limitations of the technology. Gotta refocus that laser at somepoint.

Rook on