As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LTTP: Final Fantasy 3 DS

ClayburnClayburn Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
Well, I dont make many threads so here goes.

Ff3dsbattle.jpg

Obligatory description from wiki:

The DS version of Final Fantasy III retains the gameplay of the original Famicom version, and tries to keep true to the original game while still addressing some of the more outdated and unbalanced elements. Like the original Final Fantasy III, this game features the upgraded turn-based combat system that was also seen in the first two Final Fantasy games. The experience point system featured in Final Fantasy remains in the game, unlike in Final Fantasy II and its remakes. The job system also remains, mostly identical to its original form. Like the original, jobs are interchangeable classes. However, in the original version, all four characters start out as "Onion Knights," but for the remake the characters start out as Freelancers, akin to the Bare class from Final Fantasy V. Final Fantasy III is the first game in the series to feature special battle commands such as "Steal" or "Jump," each of which is associated with a particular job ("Steal" being the Thief's specialty, while "Jump" is the Dragoon's forte). In the remake, these commands have been rebalanced, and certain classes now have new commands to utilize.

Additionally, the player is now free to switch the characters' jobs as often as they want (between combats), but there is a small penalty associated with doing so.[5] Every time the characters switch their jobs, they incur decreased statistics for the next 1 to 10 battles (0 for similar job levels over 20), called a "Job Transition Phase", based on "job compatibility" and the difference in levels between the new job and old job.

I like the online aspect of it, and was wondering if anyone has any tips or secrets about this game they want to share.

I just got a DS so im trying to delve into some of the games I missed out on, any suggestions?

Friend Code: 2964-7131-6062

clayburn.png
PS3 FriendNameThing: Caerus | Steam: clayburnp
"He who fights monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...For when you gaze into the Abyss, the Abyss also gazes into you."
"Ónen i-Estel mellyn, ú-chebin estel anim"
Clayburn on

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    DS Recommendations:

Phoenix Wright series
    Castlevania: DOS
    Trauma Center UTK
    Kirby Canvas Curse
    Ouendan
    Advance Wars DS
    Animal Crossing WW
    Meteos
    Elite BEat Agents
    Brain Age
    Mario and Luigi PIT
    Starfox Command
    Sonic Rush, SR Adventure
    Megaman ZX
    Castlevania Portrait of Ruin
    Metroid Prime Pinball
    Final Fantasy 3
    Bleach DS
    Nanostray (if you want a shmup)
    Dragon Quest Heroes RS
    Clubhouse games
    Yoshi's Island DS
    Puzzle Quest
    Tetris DS
    Picross DS
    Konami Classics Series Arcade Hits
    Lunar Knights
    Geometry Wars Galaxies
    FF XII RW
    Contra 4
    Planet Puzzle League
    Call of Duty 4
    Megaman ZX Advent
    Worms Open Warfare
    Contra 4
    Contra 4
    Contra 4

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yeah ive got a lot of those games in my list, im currently playing animal crossing WW as well ;). Trying to see if anyone else here still plays but not having much luck. So many games coming out for every system there just isnt enough time to play them all.

Clayburn on
    clayburn.png
    "He who fights monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...For when you gaze into the Abyss, the Abyss also gazes into you."
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I want to get this because it's cheap and an RPG, but how's the writing? Will I play mostly for the battle system?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think you should add Contra 4 to that list...

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I want to get this because it's cheap and an RPG, but how's the writing? Will I play mostly for the battle system?

It's FFIII, there's not really much of a story. You're the Warriors of Light trying to stop the evil. That's about it I believe.

I personally didn't have much fun with the game. It's mostly just going through dungeons, and there's not many save points, or sometimes none at all in the dungeon, so it can be a bit frustrating sometimes. Basically it's a lot like the first Final Fantasy

Also, I like FFV's job system better. I started playing III and V at about the same time and I quickly dropped III to play V more

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm actually just about to start playing this again. Once I do I'll be sure to post my FC.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    Tonberry KingTonberry King Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Off the top of my head...abuse Red Mages in the early parts of the game. Don't bother with the Warrior job because the Red Mage is just as powerful, plus he has the added benefits of both black and white magic. Black mages and white mages are also excellent choices for a job. White mages are a must for your party but the black mage is a preference choice. You might just want to have a second red mage in your party.

I suggest you try out bows for some of your characters. I personally think they are the shit but they're not for everyone's particular play style. Don't forget to put those archers in back row!

Finally, have at least one monk. They suck at first but quickly become useful, especially if you like power levelling. They will pretty much last you throughout the early parts of the game. After that I'm not sure. I only got so far in that game until I got brutally raped by one of the game's major bosses. I suggest you grind a lot so you don't make the same mistakes I do.

Tonberry King on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

It's FFIII, there's not really much of a story. You're the Warriors of Light trying to stop the evil. That's about it I believe.

I personally didn't have much fun with the game. It's mostly just going through dungeons, and there's not many save points, or sometimes none at all in the dungeon, so it can be a bit frustrating sometimes. Basically it's a lot like the first Final Fantasy

Also, I like FFV's job system better. I started playing III and V at about the same time and I quickly dropped III to play V more

The writing isnt horrible, but it is very light, as most games of the era were. The battle / job system is quite fun and worth it though.

Clayburn on
    clayburn.png
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I picked this up a while ago with McDonald's monopoly money (On sale at TRU==16.95 for a 40 dollar game. Awesome).

I got into Final Fantasy games late in my gaming life...like a year ago. I've played 1, 2, and 4 on the GBA. So now I'm working on III.

I'm only about 6 hours into the game (Not very far at all) but I'm enjoying it so far. I wasn't a fan of the Active Time Battle system in FFIV (all it did was stress me out during battles. I like being able to play and watch TV at the same time...), so I'm glad it's still old-school.

Still a little confused about the Job system.. how often do you have to change later in the game?

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Awesome, I just beat this last week, there were some parts that I thought I needed to grind, but by the time I thought I was high enough to beat the end boss, I went in and forgot to switch to my better jobs, and still kicked ass.

The Job system isn't too bad, if you want a quick play-through, you don't really need to switch jobs once you get your first crystal, since you do need to grind a little for the new jobs. There is one area where it makes things a LOT easier if you switch to a certain jumpin' job, but that will be obvious. There's just some jobs I had to try, like the Geomancer and the Black Belt.

I find a Thief is damn useful, all the way up to the end. I loved stealing shit, even though I never used the items that acted as magic. It saved me a ton in Hi-Potions, so more money in the pocket.

I am totally down for swapping messages over the weekend once I figure out how. I've done pretty much everything you can do without sending messages.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    As far as the earlier posted list of recommendations - Castlevania DoS kicks ass. I just picked it up and it's all kinds of fun. I hadn't played a metroidvania in almost a decade (or so it feels) and it's just awesome.

I need to start a DS Castlevania thread when I get home from work. There's a new one coming, too, so we can all get in the mood for a kick ass new title.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    TrukkleTrukkle Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    After finding out about all the stuff you have to use the awful messaging system to get, I lost interest in this and picked up FF6 for the GBA. I may be a bit OCD though, so YMMV.

I've got a Phat. It's a bit of a clunker but it's great. I love my R4DS too. I got a little tool for it that looks for access points (saved me a lot of time faffing with the laptop to check for conflicting channels) and being able to play all my games and my music without having to lug around/drop all their carts on the bus/plane with a seperate MP3 player is nifty.

Sod it. In for a penny, in for a pound.
    FFIII Friend code: 2363 2427 9904

Trukkle on
    trukkle.png :|:...:
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    lordswing wrote: »
    Awesome, I just beat this last week, there were some parts that I thought I needed to grind, but by the time I thought I was high enough to beat the end boss, I went in and forgot to switch to my better jobs, and still kicked ass.

The Job system isn't too bad, if you want a quick play-through, you don't really need to switch jobs once you get your first crystal, since you do need to grind a little for the new jobs. There is one area where it makes things a LOT easier if you switch to a certain jumpin' job, but that will be obvious. There's just some jobs I had to try, like the Geomancer and the Black Belt.

I find a Thief is damn useful, all the way up to the end. I loved stealing shit, even though I never used the items that acted as magic. It saved me a ton in Hi-Potions, so more money in the pocket.

I am totally down for swapping messages over the weekend once I figure out how. I've done pretty much everything you can do without sending messages.

Yeah, ill be happy to swap some messages with ya, add me as a friend 2964-7131-6062 and we'll get the ball rolling.

Clayburn on
    clayburn.png
  • Options
    dnilbdnilb Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Honestly you don't need to switch very much at all if you don't want to. I stuck with my Warrior, Monk, Dragoon, and White Mage/Devout the entire game an I did just fine. Although I do remember having to grind alot, especially near the end.

But I did have a lot of fun with it, and I thought the end was pretty epic.

Not being able to save can get frustrating but I liked the challenge it added. I think for me it made it more fun, but I like that kind of stuff.

dnilb on
    dnilb.png
  • Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, not being able to save was kind of annoying at the very end, where you have to go in huge set of dungeons and bosses with no save points in between. I ended up having to level up a lot just so I didn't end up wasting all of my time if I died somewhere in the middle.

0blique on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Thieves are incredible in this game. Their attacks may be weaker, technically, but they get so many swings per turn that it doesn't matter.

The game is old with a modern update in the asthetics; you'll have to grind, go through long dungeons, all that shit.

Henroid on
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Kraken rapes me so hard

I love the multi-attack system.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Tonberry KingTonberry King Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    skace wrote: »
    Kraken rapes me so hard

After that I'm not sure. I only got so far in that game until I got brutally raped by one of the game's major bosses.
    :o

Tonberry King on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Kraken rapes me so hard

Refresh my memory -- the what?

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    :o

Yea, figured that was who you were talking about. He's all like, time for everybody to die, hope you brought your 16 phoenix downs with you. Hope you saved... oh you couldn't. It's all good though, I'm training like Rockie for a rematch.

Manhmut, the what? Multi-attack system? I just meant that in this game, as you gain job levels, your guys attack consecutively. It creates a cool effect where your guy will attack something like 16 times in a row and he graphically swings. Kind of makes otherwise boring attacks look pretty impressive and powerful. Especially since everyone in your group can dual weild. Nothing like a front line white mage dual weilding canes and going postal on a monster. (Can't do that anymore since the difficulty scaled)

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    Kraken rapes me so hard

Refresh my memory -- the what?

As you become more proficient in your job, each time you select 'attack' your character actually swings the weapon multiple times. That's why slower classes like Vikings weren't DPS members despite having high ATK, and classes like Thieves and Ninjas could tear shit up.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ah -- right. I do remember that my WHM looked wicked cool doing low damage with his two staves.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    CorsairCorsair Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This thread has reminded me that I need to finish this game. I am at the last dungeon, but I stopped playing awhile ago because of the amount of grinding I will need to do, plus I wasn't sure how I wanted to set up my party.

My current team consists of a Theif/White Mage/Dark Knight/Geomancer. Any opinions on how this set up will work for the last stretch of the game? I am definitely going to keep the Thief because I've had him since the beginning and he is job level 99 (plus he rocks). I turned the White Mage into a Devout, but he cannot cast near as many spells as the White Mage could, though I assume this will change if I just level him a bit? The Geomancer was great for most of the game, but seems kind of weak now. I should probably change him to something else, but I am not sure what. Maybe another fighter type or a Black Mage. Any suggestions?

Corsair on
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Corsair wrote: »
    This thread has reminded me that I need to finish this game. I am at the last dungeon, but I stopped playing awhile ago because of the amount of grinding I will need to do, plus I wasn't sure how I wanted to set up my party.

My current team consists of a Theif/White Mage/Dark Knight/Geomancer. Any opinions on how this set up will work for the last stretch of the game? I am definitely going to keep the Thief because I've had him since the beginning and he is job level 99 (plus he rocks). I turned the White Mage into a Devout, but he cannot cast near as many spells as the White Mage could, though I assume this will change if I just level him a bit? The Geomancer was great for most of the game, but seems kind of weak now. I should probably change him to something else, but I am not sure what. Maybe another fighter type or a Black Mage. Any suggestions?

Stick with your devout, once it's around level 40, you'll have no problem with magic. The Devout's magic is actually pretty well spread out compared to a WM or a Summoner (they have a pyramid system going on). I hope you got the Elder Rod? the one that casts Curaga, I just kept my Devout in the back rows casting that on my party, while my Summoner just defended, and I did most of my damage with my Knight and Black Belt.

If you didn't do some of the optional quests like getting the high level summons, I say go with a Black Belt. They level up pretty fast, have decent magic defense, ok physical defense, and do a shitload of damage. Boost is pretty neat, I don't know how much more damage it does since it'd go over 9999 the first time I do it, but it's more job xp.

*edit*Forgot, if you're grinding, the fastest way is to look for 2 Kum Kums in the Crystal Tower and just hit Guard/Defend until they summon a magician. Once they do, attack the magician, then go back to defending. Rinse and repeat, you don't need to walk around and get attacked, just keep killing the summons. I was doing this while watching TV, you can easily gain 10 levels in a few hours by doing this.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    btw once you meet the wandering blacksmith If you get messages from people with job cards (meaning they hit lvl 99 in that job) you can get the ultimate weapon for that class before you hit lvl 99 in it

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Only way to play any Final Fantasy game with a job system is to model your characters after Final Fantasy IV's end team. Ok I guess there are other ways but that's the real way.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Played it.

mildly enjoyed it.

FF4 is the only RPG for me I guess. Though a better story might have helped a bit.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hm.. To get this, or Worms Open Warfare 2.. Or a Castlevania game.. :P

Rizzi on
  • Options
    AhhseeAhhsee Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Both castlevania games. That said, dawn of sorrow was my 1st ds game, and I played it within 2 minutes of buying the system at a gamestop (my friend ran a tuxedo place next door, so I was in his office in a minute with it plugged in and playing).

There's a lot of good games, so it'd be very hard to narrow it down if you're looking for ONE that will hold your interest a long time. Pickup and play? There's a ton...

Ahhsee on
    newsigji1.jpg
    Click image for my huge backlog :\\\
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Had a lot of fun with FFIII, but yeah, I have to echo a lot of these sentiments. It's a grindfest, and it's all about the battles... But damn if the leveling isn't fun and if the battle system isn't pretty sick (and some of the graphics! That gold temple deal in the OP? Beautiful!). I'm at the end, but yeah, grinding is necessary and I kept getting raped so I stopped (plus I made it far and lack of save made me frustrated far through the dungeon). Maybe I'll pick it up again. Thieves ARE pretty badass, as are Knights, because they defend and block attacks.. Necessary tanks. White mage (Devout!) necessary.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Had a lot of fun with FFIII, but yeah, I have to echo a lot of these sentiments. It's a grindfest, and it's all about the battles... But damn if the leveling isn't fun and if the battle system isn't pretty sick (and some of the graphics! That gold temple deal in the OP? Beautiful!). I'm at the end, but yeah, grinding is necessary and I kept getting raped so I stopped (plus I made it far and lack of save made me frustrated far through the dungeon). Maybe I'll pick it up again. Thieves ARE pretty badass, as are Knights, because they defend and block attacks.. Necessary tanks. White mage (Devout!) necessary.

The end is a nightmare. Literally hours of nonstop fighting in between save points.

Saddler on
  • Options
    BantryBantry Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    THe no savepoints thing didn't bother me untill I reached the last dungeon.
    I tore through like ten awesome-item-guarding mini-bosses, then the final boss apears and wastes my team in one shot. Luckilly, it turns out it's juat a scripted battle, and I make my way through four more bosses before I get to face the final boss properly. She wastes my team in one shot again. 2 hours wasted. Thanks game.

Although the mini/toad areas were a pretty neat thing I don't remember seeing in any other FF.

Bantry on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    God, that last dungeon and it's lack of saves. After one horrible death I resorted to trecking all the way back out to the surface to save a couple of times after beating some of the item bosses. Annoying as hell but avoided me repeating the intenses desire to throw the DS in a fire due to hours of progress being lost.

Of course after I did that I didn't die again but such is the way it goes.

Apart from that though it was your standard portable FF fun but with added 'ooh pretty' so I was happy.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Hm.. To get this, or Worms Open Warfare 2.. Or a Castlevania game.. :P

This is probably going to be my next DS purchase although really only because I have a feeling I'll get more playtime out of it than Zelda.

I picked up Worms over FFIII awhile back and kind of regret it. Don't get me wrong, Worms is a lot of fun but the frightening skill of the AI has caused me to put it aside in favor of other games for the time being.

Castlevania DoS is a great time. The main game is fun and I actually loved the old school mode as well. Can't really coment on Portrait of Ruin though since none of the damn stores around here seem to have it in stock whenever I need a new DS game. :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sorry to dredge this thread up from the depths, but I am just now getting around to finishing it. I just got the last set of jobs and I've been grinding for about a week. At level 61 with a Dragoon(job lvl 80something)/Geomancer (job lvl 99)/Red Mage (job Lvl 99)/and a Sage (just switched, job lvl 10 or so).

Anyone still playing this? I'd like to do the Wifi sidequest junk and need to trade Friend codes with somebody. PM me if you're interested...

I've heard you need to be about level 60 to beat the game...so I decided to just grind way past that if I can stay patient enough for it. Don't really want to have to play the last dungeon again if I die.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.