As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Displaying comic books

yourspaceholidayyourspaceholiday Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Graphic Violence
How do you guys display your comic books? I have a couple full runs (Y, Fables, and Starman specifically) that I'd love to keep somewhere other than a shortbox. They all have great cover art across the board, so having some sort of wall display would be great, as well as easy access when I want to read them. Any suggestions?

I should add that I just moved into a new apartment and the walls are bare and painted the most neutral shade of beige imaginable, so some James Jean could really add to the place

yourspaceholiday on

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have all of my hardcover and Absolute editions lined up on a bookshelf, which is nice. I've been looking for a way to display actual comic books, though, so I'll definitely check that link out.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    most of my singles end up buried and destroyed around my apartment and room. the few i think are worthy of specifically not neglecting unto destruction generally end up bagged and pinned up behind my tv, where the wall is covered by a sort of corkboard thing

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    I used to have some of my comics bagged and boarded and taped to the wall in my bedroom
    These were generally the first issues of series my uncle gave me, or something that was worth money that I got for myself or as a present
    The first appearance of Iron Fist is one of those
    When I buy those Moon Knight issues, I'm going to get a couple of binders, and put them right next to the bookshelf which is half trades anyway

Me Too! on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    One thing I know people have done - people, that is, who are not anal about collectibility - is to take their runs of single issues to a bookbinder's to have them done up in a nice, durable hardcover. Some places will even do custom embossing or gilt, so you can get your complete run of A DEATH IN THE FAMILY done up in tooled leather with a Bat-logo on the front or whatever.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've been thinking about putting a few comics that mean a lot to me up in a single big frame; Captain Atom #83, Defenders of Dynatron City (my first comic), Blue Beetle #1, and a few others. I wouldn't feel comfortable framing anything really recent though. Old stuff has that kind of pop art look to it, but something by like, Scott Campbell, Jim Lee, or whoever just seems like it'd be weird. I'm working on accumulating a collection of original art to display though.

Other than that, I keep my trades on a shelf, and I'm working on getting all my single issues into cardboard magazine holders, then putting them all on a few big bookshelves. I'm also planning to scan and discard a whole bunch of back issues at some point as well.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Oh wow I like that idea, Munch
    Much better than paying 30 bucks to get those binders
    Just get a couple of those for my Moon Knight and Star Trek books, and a frame for the Marvel Premiere with Iron Fist, and I'm all set

Me Too! on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You could also get your best comics CCG graded, and then you get a collectible display, sort of

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Does it cost money to get stuff graded, and where would I go to do it?
    Because I would like to get my Marvel Premiere graded

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    You could also get your best comics CCG graded, and then you get a collectible display, sort of

Ehhhh.

CGC grading is widely regarded as an enormous scam, which has only risen to prominence due to Wizard and the speculator market endorsing it. It costs $100 per issue minimum to do it, and after the process is completed, you can't really read the comic again without throwing away the money you spent getting it graded, since you have to pry it out of its temper-evident container. For someone like me, it's important to still be able to actually read old issues, even if I don't do it that often. Most of my valuable comics stay in a fireproof safe throughout the year, but I still get them out every now and then to read.

I also kind of hate CGC because they also assign an arbitrary score to your comics, based on a system they made up, and then assign an equally arbitrary price to it.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Goddamn for $100 fuck that. I don't touch that issue anyway, because it's in the Essential book but Jesus
    That is a ridiculous sum of money to get it graded

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    Other than that, I keep my trades on a shelf, and I'm working on getting all my single issues into cardboard magazine holders, then putting them all on a few big bookshelves. I'm also planning to scan and discard a whole bunch of back issues at some point as well.

Those work really well, I have a couple large shelves full of comics in them.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    holy lord $100 to get something graded?

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Actually I think I may have read their pricing chart wrong, but I don't care enough to try to make sense of it.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I tried that last night
    I think it's, the book has a max value of $100, it costs however much per book to get done, and you have to send a minimum of 30 books
    So for 20 bucks I could get Iron Fist graded
    If I gave a flying shit about the CGC

Me Too! on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I also kind of hate CGC because they also assign an arbitrary score to your comics, based on a system they made up, and then assign an equally arbitrary price to it.

For it to be arbitrary, they wouldn't be able to use a system to grade them. Since they rate every comic based on the condition they are in based on standards they've established, it's impossible for it to be arbitrary. And it's only like $25 to get a comic graded. You were probably looking at the bulk deals.

However, I agree on the scam and speculator part. No way a copy of Youngblood #1 in 10.0 condition is worth more than the 10 cents the non graded copy is worth, yet it would probably sell for $100 or some shit.

KVW on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is it actually possible for a comic to be in 10.0 condition? Highest I've ever seen is 9.8.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    KVW wrote: »
    For it to be arbitrary, they wouldn't be able to use a system to grade them. Since they rate every comic based on the condition they are in based on standards they've established, it's impossible for it to be arbitrary.

I phrased that poorly. What I meant was that, since it was a system they established, subject to no outsider oversight, it's effectively meaningless. If I tell you that your comic rates a 9.6 on the Munch's Superawesome Scale, based on a bunch of criteria I selected, then what does that mean?

Munch on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    For it to be arbitrary, they wouldn't be able to use a system to grade them. Since they rate every comic based on the condition they are in based on standards they've established, it's impossible for it to be arbitrary.

I phrased that poorly. What I meant was that, since it was a system they established, subject to no outsider oversight, it's effectively meaningless. If I tell you that your comic rates a 9.6 on the Munch's Superawesome Scale, based on a bunch of criteria I selected, then what does that mean?
    ... it's an old Blue Beetle single?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    haha

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    yourspaceholidayyourspaceholiday Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

To be fair, while the scale may be arbitrary, it's at least consistent. For the people that actually care about the condition of a comic book, it's a lot better to see "CGC 9.6" than "NM++ LIKE NEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" in an eBay auction. But, it also takes away the comic's main function, which is to, you know, read and enjoy it. So it's still stupid.

Anyways, I got some classy movie posters and some records I'm particularly fond of to frame to dress up my apartment. I'll probably get a couple of those comic frames too, so I can frame some covers I particularly enjoy (Fables #54, I'm looking at you)

yourspaceholiday on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »

I'm thinking it's more likely it guest-starred BB... old BB singles are 10.2's on the Munch scale IRRC

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I'm thinking it's more likely it guest-starred BB... old BB singles are 10.2's on the Munch scale IRRC
    Of course, my mistake.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Man, you're really making that joke last.

Munch on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    We're just all so aware of how special you feel BB is.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Plus, I don't have all that many jokes, I need to make the ones I do have last longer.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Plus, I don't have all that many jokes, I need to make the ones I do have last longer.

Times are tight, what with the recession and all.

There's only so much funny to go around.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Me Too! wrote: »
    I used to have some of my comics bagged and boarded and taped to the wall in my bedroom
    These were generally the first issues of series my uncle gave me, or something that was worth money that I got for myself or as a present
    The first appearance of Iron Fist is one of those
    When I buy those Moon Knight issues, I'm going to get a couple of binders, and put them right next to the bookshelf which is half trades anyway

I used to have my room like this when I was a kid, I am half tempted to do it to my whole house somedays, I have the comics for it! ( Stupid other people and their willingness to conform to society, let me nerd the house out!)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508