As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Unfriendly search option

theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
Now I understand why you make people wait a minute between each search - no search function works particularly smoothly. But what I don't understand is why when I enter a bad search term, for example one that returns an error because I searched for a three letter word why I should still wait a minute. I mean, nothing was searched, you just scanned the string. This does not clog up the servers, so the one minute rule is not required, and incredibly annoying.

theSquid on

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I would assume that it was easier to code, that way.

More stable, and the like.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have difficulty believing that what I suggested makes it unstable at the risk of complexity. In fact I have difficulty believing it would take more than the addition of a single boolean.

theSquid on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2008
    you realise that we didn't actually code the boards from scratch? You should be complaining to VBulletin

Tube on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Now you're just slacking tube /sarcasm :)

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    theSquid wrote: »
    I have difficulty believing that what I suggested makes it unstable at the risk of complexity. In fact I have difficulty believing it would take more than the addition of a single boolean.

At the very least I think it would require the introduction of a new conditional statement, but your point is taken. Another interesting point is that every line of code we write that directly modifies the vBulletin engine. When vBulletin rolls a new version we must hand merge file that we have altered rather than simply using the distributed files/patches.

In that light, the complexity becomes a lot more believable.

As far as an answer, I personally am in favor of replacing the current search technology with something that performs better. As it stands, the forum's search feature takes up more database and webserver processing time than any other application here at Penny Arcade.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    If I'm stepping on anyones toes or saying something stupid feel free to call me an idiot. But since you guys pay for vbulletin, would it be worthwhile to complain about the clunkiness of their search code?

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    If I'm stepping on anyones toes or saying something stupid feel free to call me an idiot. But since you guys pay for vbulletin, would it be worthwhile to complain about the clunkiness of their search code?
    I believe that Ramius is planning on removing their search code entirely and replacing it.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    As much recoding as you guys have done for the forums. I'm amazed you didn't take a free based forum code and reworked it, instead of paying for vBulletin.

Edit.

Not saying you guys should or anything, and I realize it would of been a lot of work, just surprised you didn't.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The previous version of the boards was exactly that - phpBB hacked together to try to make it scalable.

They got fed up with it and replaced with vBulletin.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    KenninatorKenninator Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    The previous version of the boards was exactly that - phpBB hacked together to try to make it scalable.

They got fed up with it and replaced with vBulletin.

I lurked in those days. It was easy to see why.

The forums now are way better, even if the search is cumbersome.

Kenninator on