As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good Vent Headset?

2»

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Bigity wrote: »
    How am I supposed to tie my tie while texting while driving?

I know people that text while driving. I think they're insane.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »

My friend did it once.
    I told her if she does that again, I'm grabbing the wheel and steering us into a telephone pole.
    "Why!?"
    "I wanna get it out of the way when I expect it."

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Crazy49erCrazy49er Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »

I had a friend text me while she was driving on the interstate.....with an already broken foot no less... I told her she was insane and didn't answer any of her texts after that to get her to shut up.

Crazy49er on
    Nova Incantus
    Merch Industrial - An EVE ONLINE community
    Need to know more? Just ask
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    A friend and I were driving to blockbuster late at night when there aren't too many people on the road and there was a truck in front of us. It was driving a little slow and weaving some, and then it just rolled through one red light and then a second one.

We couldn't believe it. We thought maybe the guy was drunk or impaired or in need of assistance. At the next red light he gets over to turn right and when we pull up next to him it turns out he was just leaned over texting on his cell phone.

God damn I wish a semi would have fucking creamed him so bad when he ran that red light.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ha, thread derailment FTW. That might be the best tangent ever, anyway...

I never found a good substitute for the 360 headset/controller setup. A bluetooth earpiece would be great, but my system doesn't pick up bluetooth (I upgrade stuff piecemeal and just never bothered to get anything that was bluetooth compatible) and neither does my buddy's.

As to how to get vent to do the sound separation... Someone earlier said it. If you're splitting after the hardware, i.e. just using headphones plugged into your speakers or a splitter cable, you can't do it. If you have your speakers plugged into your soundcard and a headset plugged into your USB, or if you have two soundcards running (one of them the windows default card, the other not affiliated with anything yet) when you go into skype you can direct it to use specific input/output devices. I just have a usb headset, but I bet if you bought a soundcard, set it as windows default, and then used onboard mobo sound for just skype, that'd probably work as well.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ObjectZeroObjectZero Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just picked these up: Dynex headset

USB, one ear headset. all vent traffic goes through the headset thanks to USB. All other noise goes through computer speakers. I hate wearing headphones all the time. If no one is in Vent, or i don't care about whats going on, i take them off and i still hear the game and all other noise.

picked them up at Best Buy. $30.00

ObjectZero on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    ObjectZero wrote: »
    Just picked these up: Dynex headset

USB, one ear headset. all vent traffic goes through the headset thanks to USB. All other noise goes through computer speakers. I hate wearing headphones all the time. If no one is in Vent, or i don't care about whats going on, i take them off and i still hear the game and all other noise.

picked them up at Best Buy. $30.00

Precisely what I'm looking for. Thanks!

I used a bunch of logitech ones like these, I think logitech just makes terrible, terrible headsets. They break every ten minutes it seems.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Ha, thread derailment FTW. That might be the best tangent ever, anyway...

I never found a good substitute for the 360 headset/controller setup. A bluetooth earpiece would be great, but my system doesn't pick up bluetooth (I upgrade stuff piecemeal and just never bothered to get anything that was bluetooth compatible) and neither does my buddy's.

As to how to get vent to do the sound separation... Someone earlier said it. If you're splitting after the hardware, i.e. just using headphones plugged into your speakers or a splitter cable, you can't do it. If you have your speakers plugged into your soundcard and a headset plugged into your USB, or if you have two soundcards running (one of them the windows default card, the other not affiliated with anything yet) when you go into skype you can direct it to use specific input/output devices. I just have a usb headset, but I bet if you bought a soundcard, set it as windows default, and then used onboard mobo sound for just skype, that'd probably work as well.

Ok so... then can I use my onboard sound for my headphones and leave my Audigy for everything else? Wouldn't this cause some sort of conflicts? Ghostbuster stream-crossing style?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Figgy wrote: »

Ok so... then can I use my onboard sound for my headphones and leave my Audigy for everything else? Wouldn't this cause some sort of conflicts? Ghostbuster stream-crossing style?

As long as the onboard isn't associated with anything but the chat program you have your headphones connected to, I don't think it would. But, I don't know! I recommend you try it, and let us know if anything catches on fire.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »

As long as the onboard isn't associated with anything but the chat program you have your headphones connected to, I don't think it would. But, I don't know! I recommend you try it, and let us know if anything catches on fire.

Alright, I got it working. No fire!

How to channel Vent sounds separately through your headphones if you don't have a USB headset.

Required: Both onboard sound as well as a PCI Sound Card. (Or, two PCI Sound Cards)

This is assuming you are using your sound card currently and have the onboard disabled:

- Go into BIOS and enable onboard audio
    - Load windows (my drivers installed automatically for it. Since I'm using that soundcard for vent ONLY I'm not worried about the latest and greatest drivers... so I left it for now to what Vista installed on boot up)
    - Load Vent
    - Enter Setup
    - Check "USe Direct Sound" above "Output Device" if it's not already checked.
    - Change "Output Device" to the onboard device. Mine was listed as "Speakers High Definition Audio Device" as opposed to my Audigy device which had "Creative SB Audigy" as the suffix for each selection.

I loaded up some random pub server to test it. Works like a charm. Best of all, my headphones have a little volume knob on the cord, so I can adjust the volume of people talking in vent without alt-tabbing and adjusting the output levels and without changing my regular game sounds coming through my speakers.

Thanks for the tip, Dark.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, I need another headset now. I just tripped over the cord for mine and ripped out the mic jack.

50 bucks down the drain.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Chiming in to say I just bought a Sennheiser PC151, and it seems the noise cancelling is also making the mic ineffective at capturing my voice. Seriously, the output is quiet. The PC131s I bought for my sister had more sensitivity than these :v:

I tested in them in Vent, with the Line in volume set to max. It was getting 10-15 on my normal volume, and I had to shout to register 50. PC131s got 100+ no problem, as did my old shitty £7 headset :|

On the bright side, they sound great, I guess I just have to speak louder or increase the sensitivity on Vent/Skype.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, I need another headset now. I just tripped over the cord for mine and ripped out the mic jack.

50 bucks down the drain.

I keep telling my friend to just invest in a wireless set. He's tripped over his cable or rolled over it in a chair three times now. The other solution is to buy a headset with a decently log cord and go behind and over the desk. It takes a day to get used to the headset cable coming across the desk, but it doesn't get in the way and saves a lot more money on broken headsets.

Also, when you're taking off your headphones, get into the habit of putting them on your desk and not on the arm of your chair. I used to do that until I got tired of rolling over my cords.

zanetheinsane on