As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Jail Time for German Gamers?

Juergen HubertJuergen Hubert Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
Read this.

This time, Stoiber and Beckstein (the prime minister and minister of the interior of Bavaria) have outdone themselves. Up to 12 months in jail for shooting humanoid-looking enemies in 3D shooters? What are they smoking?

UrbisBanner.jpg
Juergen Hubert on

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Why not virtual jail? The punishment should fit the crime!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    posted Dec 12....

...there's a good chance we did read it and did discuss it to death

... in fact i know we did, and the thread is probably still around

Deusfaux on
  • BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    first ive heard of it.

funniest thing ive heard in awhile.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    How come every time a minor kills someone, everyone goes zomg videogames!

Is that all kids do? Play videogames? Is that the only source of influence in a child's life?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    the prime minister and minister of the interior of Bavaria

There's your problem right there.

Just kidding. I love Bavaria, but sometimes the old stereotypes are justified.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What's next? Burning video games? Putting video gamers into special camps?

FreddyD on
  • TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    "Proposed legislation targets pixelated mayhem and virtual violence;"

How come whenever there's an article about video game violence or video game movies or something anywhere, people always have to try to sound clever and pull phrases out of their Stan Lee Thesaurus?

TM2 Rampage on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Applies to developers, too, even retailers. Oh God, don't jail Crytek! I want my Crysis!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    If we outlaw imaginary guns, only outlaws will have imaginary guns.

mcc on
    edited January 2007
    mcc wrote:

Imaginary outlaws.

Imaginary guns don't kill people, imaginary people kill imaginary people.

Marlor on
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dashui wrote:
    Applies to developers, too, even retailers. Oh God, don't jail Crytek! I want my Crysis!

Wasn't Crytek moving from Germany because half their team was detained and treated like criminals?

khain on
  • BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:

in 2016 a conclusive study will show once and for all that while videogames do directly correlate to a fraction of homicidal violence, being german correlates to mental incompetance 100% of the time. 2016 also saw the passing of a german legislature that mandated every german born must kill him/herself to prevent future retardation.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Marlor wrote:
    mcc wrote:

Imaginary outlaws.

Imaginary guns don't kill b]imaginary[/b people, imaginary people kill imaginary people.

you left out an imaginary.

Kriz on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You can't deny that there is a loosy connection between the increasing number shooting rampages in schools and violence in media.

Also, you shouldn't take Stoiber any serious.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You can't deny that there is a loosy connection between the increasing number shooting rampages in school and violence in media.

Also, you shouldn't take Stoiber any serious.
    Yeah, all those violent shootings get repeated on the news over and over.

FreddyD on
  • TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:

in 2016 a conclusive study will show once and for all that while videogames do directly correlate to a fraction of homicidal violence, being german correlates to mental incompetance 100% of the time. 2016 also saw the passing of a german legislature that mandated every german born must kill him/herself to prevent future retardation.
    Heh but really I think if the Nazis originated in the US and we did the holocaust and stuff, our country would probably be like what Germany is now. I mean, it takes something to happen really close to home for people to really care. Remember that big tsunami that killed a lot of people and stuff? Well, I bet that 9/11 is a bigger deal here... hrm. Then again the tsunami was an act of nature and 9/11 wasn't... but hey... hrm.

TM2 Rampage on
  • Freezie KOFreezie KO Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hey, cool. Fascism returns to Germany.

Freezie KO on
    Want to trade levels in Mario vs DK2 for Nintendo DS WiFi extravaganza?
    Freezie KO - 4811.1637.7460
    PM me.
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Freezie KO wrote:
    Guess the Krauts missed it. Letting people decide what to do for themselves is after all such an unfashionable thing.

Silpheed on
    edited January 2007
    Kriz wrote:
    Marlor wrote:
    Imaginary guns don't kill b]imaginary[/b people, imaginary people kill imaginary people.

you left out an imaginary.

So I did.

Anyway, about this law...

We get crap like this proposed all the time here in Australia, but we are always secure in the knowledge it will never be enacted (instead, it will just be reported in the worldwide IT press, and make us all look like yokels).

Politicians may be stupid enough to propose this sort of thing, but the public servants who run the country are generally intelligent enough to ensure it never gets past the soundbite stage. Hopefully this is the same thing in Germany... just posturing to get the technophobic masses onside for some election or another.

Marlor on
    edited January 2007
    Marlor wrote:
    mcc wrote:

Imaginary outlaws.

I think the imaginary gun helps. I think if an imaginary person stood in an imaginary crowd yelling "BANG! BANG!" I don't think too many imaginary people would die.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Marlor wrote:
    mcc wrote:

Imaginary outlaws.

I think the imaginary gun helps. I think if an imaginary person stood in an imaginary crowd yelling "BANG! BANG!" I don't think too many imaginary people would die.

bangyt6.png

Kriz on
  • tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Marlor wrote:
    mcc wrote:

Imaginary outlaws.

That depends. Does he know the imaginary cloud kill spell?

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Silpheed wrote:
    Freezie KO wrote:
    Guess the Krauts missed it. Letting people decide what to do for themselves is after all such an unfashionable thing.

Actually I started a thread on the very same topic 1 month ago in D&D, which might have been a wise decision since none of the input over there was as retarded as the statements I quoted above...

Librarian on
  • Juergen HubertJuergen Hubert Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Silpheed wrote:
    Freezie KO wrote:

Only in Bavaria, as current political affairs unrelated to this prove.

And possibly in parts of the American South, or so I've heard.

Juergen Hubert on
    UrbisBanner.jpg
  • ROFISHROFISH AnehiixiiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Remember, in Europe violence is the 'it's sin of the world, think of the children!' compared to America's 'omfg no sex, think of the children!'

ROFISH on
    sig3.png
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ROFISH wrote:
    Remember, in Europe violence is the 'it's sin of the world, think of the children!' compared to America's 'omfg no sex, think of the children!'
    That's a difficult choice to make. Boobs or guns. Hmm.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
    edited January 2007
    For the record, I do think parents should have the right to control and/or supervise what kinds of games their non-adult children play on their computers (whether they have the technical expertise to do so is another question...).

But this kind of heavy-handed intrusion into the lives of citizens - including adult ones - is simply unacceptable. I hope the Supreme Court slaps these state governments silly at the first opportunity.

Juergen Hubert on
    UrbisBanner.jpg
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I think the crazy thing is, this sort of stuff in Germany is a direct backlash from their fear of a repeat of post-WWI German politics - ie, a return to fascism - but all they seem to be doing is re-introducing fascist ideals. They're trying to protect the citizens from the re-emergence of a fascist regime by imposing tight restrictions on free speech.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think the crazy thing is, this sort of stuff in Germany is a direct backlash from their fear of a repeat of post-WWI German politics - ie, a return to fascism - but all they seem to be doing is re-introducing fascist ideals. They're trying to protect the citizens from the re-emergence of a fascist regime by imposing tight restrictions on free speech.
    But we're only talking about this particular proposal because it's "too far in the right direction", if you will. Obviously this legislation hasn't passed, and I don't think it shows any signs of passing.

Other legislation that restricts the display of swastikas and other Nazi logos doesn't get as much news, because far fewer people disagree with it.

Captain K on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It has been said, but still: It's bavaria. While I generally like it and most clichés about it are what most clichés always are most of the time, untrue and stupid, sometimes they ARE true.

When a German says "Bavaria!", it should have a similar meaning as an American saying "Texas!"

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:

hahaha

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:

We already do that, and 'round these parts we call them a LAN-Party.

Dírhael on
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I predict Jack Thompson is going to move to Germany just to fell right.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Kriz wrote:
    Marlor wrote:
    mcc wrote:

Imaginary outlaws.

img

That is exactly what I thought. Weird.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It has been said, but still: It's bavaria. While I generally like it and most clichés about it are what most clichés always are most of the time, untrue and stupid, sometimes they ARE true.

When a German says "Bavaria!", it should have a similar meaning as an American saying "Texas!"

I told this to my wife, who spent a couple years in Germany and she wasn't surprised at all. She said that Bavaria is....strange.

Samphis on
  • AllonAllon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    GODDAMMIT!
    Everytime I find a nice little messageboard without crazed german GURPS fanatics, I can't even blink before it's infested with them again. :(

Hey Jürgen, welcome to the board, again. >_>
    *points in the direction of ODAM*

Fake edit:
    Bavaria != Germany

Allon on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So, what if there are no guns in the world? Then do they have to jail people for using swords, knives and steel pipes in videogames. Because, you know, guns don't kill people; they just make it a hell of a lot easier.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gyral wrote:
    So, what if there are no guns in the world? Then do they have to jail people for using swords, knives and steel pipes in videogames. Because, you know, guns don't kill people; they just make it a hell of a lot easier.
    so does jumping on their heads. And don't even get me started on looking for weak-spots.

massive damage

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited January 2007
    Allon wrote:
    GODDAMMIT!
    Everytime I find a nice little messageboard without crazed german GURPS fanatics, I can't even blink before it's infested with them again. :(

Hey, what am I supposed to say? Every time I find a new message board, someone else is there who already knows me! It's a conspiracy, I tell you! A conspiracy!

And I'll let you know that GURPS is far from being my only game...

Juergen Hubert on
    UrbisBanner.jpg
  • CheezyCheezy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wouldn't it be self defense in the majority of games where you can kill humans?

Cheezy on