As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

BBQ ideas!

GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm throwing a BBQ / surprise party for a friend this weekend and I want to make it awesome.

So what are some good things to BBQ? What are some good recipes? I want it to be tasty as hell and I'm not afraid to go all out. I'm wanting to possibly cook things with beer too, because I've never done that.

I have a quite large propane grill.

steam_sig.png
Grundlterror on

• tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    get some large zipper back shrimp, with the shells on (thawed out if frozen)
    soak some wooden skewers
    marinade the shrimp (in the fridge, for at least 30 min) in equal parts olive oil and lemon juice , cyanne (sp?) pepper (a pinch or so), Dill weed (same), and black pepper (same).
    Cram those babies onto the the skewers
    Grill until pink and cooked all the way through (about 2-4 per side, medium-high heat), brushing with remaining marinade.

EDIT: upon reflection, the olive oil and lemon juice should be in equal amounts

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Hot Dog Roll Ups

Mmm mm mmm, delicious.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you wanna cook things with beer, google for: Beer can chicken

If you have the time and some way you can smoke some ribs for several hours... well, damn, do it. My friend has copper pots he puts in the oven for a while with ribs and some other stuff, spices and whatnot, leaves it there for hours, and then we grill it with BBQ sauce to finish it up.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have a quite large propane grill.

Get some wood chips in there for flavor.

Kebabs are easy and impressive. Also this recipie for ribs: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_11125_,00.html

but finish on the grill instead of under the broiler.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • PrecursorPrecursor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you wanna cook things with beer, google for: Beer can chicken

If you have the time and some way you can smoke some ribs for several hours... well, damn, do it. My friend has copper pots he puts in the oven for a while with ribs and some other stuff, spices and whatnot, leaves it there for hours, and then we grill it with BBQ sauce to finish it up.
    I was going to say just this. Just be aware, beer can chicken is difficult to do well. The legs and wings cook MUCH faster than the rest of the bird so strategic use of foil might be needed.

Also ribs. Alton Brown has a kickass recipe for ribs. It's from one of his cook books so I can't post it here, but i'm sure google will turn up something.

Edit: Beer cooking: http://www.beerbuddiestv.com/recipes.htm

Precursor on
    Quashdom.png
  • tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    From what I remember reading about a properly cooked beer can chicken, you put the chicken where there is NO fire (ie burner off), and turn the other side up to full.
    I could be wrong, as I've not tried this method, but I recall it had a lengthly cooking time as well.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Precursor wrote: »
    Also ribs. Alton Brown has a kickass recipe for ribs. It's from one of his cook books so I can't post it here, but i'm sure google will turn up something.
    If you're talking about "I'm Just Here For The Food," those ribs are cooked in the oven and not on the grill. But, let's go ahead and get this out of the way. Are you looking to barbecue (cooking long via low indirect heat/smoke) or grill (cooking via fire down below)? That will really make a difference on what is suggested.

It sounds like you're grilling, and I'd suggest making some burgers and brats. Even though that sounds pretty standard, it's not. Buy uncooked brats, boil them in beer until cooked, and then grill them. Serve on wheat buns with some spicy mustard. It goes pretty well with beer. Also, for burgers, don't buy ground meat. Buy chuck steak and a) have them grind it at the store or b) cut it into cubes and grind it in your food processor. It will make the best burgers you've ever had, and you won't ever go back.

(Pro Tip: Ground chuck and "ground chuck steak" as above taste differently, as ground chuck doesn't have to be chuck steak.)

Then you can make some skewers if you wish. 1 cube of pork chop + 1 piece of cubed pineapple + 1 piece of bacon + 1 piece of green pepper X2 per skewer. Good stuff.

Raggaholic on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You can't go wrong with a 10 lb brisket.

Sir Carcass on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    if you bake the ribs on low heat until the meat pulls away from the edge it limits the time you need to grill them.

through some sort of rub on then bake for, i want to say 1hr at 350, then grill at 300-400 on indirect heat, flipping every 15 minutes and basting with your bbq sauce until ribs are floppy when you grab them in the middle.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Corn on the Cob is always nice to add to a BBQ. Its really easy too. I usually wrap it in foil with about 1 tbsp of butter, salt and pepper, then grill it for about 30 minutes.

wmelon on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2008
    If you want to do burgers, stuff them with cheese. You take the meat you'd normally use for a patty, only make two thin patties instead. Put the cheese in between them, then pinch the edges of the burger together to seal in the cheese. By the time it's cooked, the chees will have melted and diffused throughout the meat, creating a single mass of cheesy, meaty goodness. Just make sure you cook them a little longer, because the cheese makes the center cook more slowly.

Also, most vegetables are awesome when grilled. Take zucchini, or asparagus, or any summer squash, and put it on a grilling pan (or on foil if you don't have one). Brush with a mixture of melted butter, olive oil and garlic. Lightly salt and pepper them, then grill 'til they start to brown a bit.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • yourspaceholidayyourspaceholiday Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you're looking for something sweet, grilled pineapple is one of the best things I've ever tasted. Whenever I've had hamburgers stuffed with bacon and cheese, like ElJeffe suggested, I always get sick, mostly because they taste so good and I eat way more than I should. Definitely do that.

yourspaceholiday on
  • AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Everyone forgets about dessert at a barbecue. It can't always just be chips!

Barbecued Peach Crisp a la Mode

Recipe Ingredients
    2 large ripe peaches, halved
    1 tsp Pure Olive Oil
    1/2 cup Oats
    1/4 cup melted butter
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1 cup of your favourite ice cream, or the standard vanilla

Preheat barbecue to medium-high; clean grill well.
    Brush peach halves with oil. Place peaches, cut side down on grill and cook until lightly marked, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
    Combine oats, butter and brown sugar. Divide oat mixture between peach halves. Place peaches on grill, close lid and cook until peaches are tender and topping is golden, about 8 minutes.
    Serve with a scoop of ice cream.

Proceed to accepting compliments from all of your guests. This is the perfect summer treat, warm at first, then cool. It's delicious.

Alpine on
  • GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Amazing suggestions guys, keep em coming!
    Raggaholic wrote: »
    But, let's go ahead and get this out of the way. Are you looking to barbecue (cooking long via low indirect heat/smoke) or grill (cooking via fire down below)? That will really make a difference on what is suggested

Well this is my first time really preparing a menu in advance, so I'm not really sure what I'm going for here. All I know is that I have a bunch of friends who are coming over and I have a grill. I want to make some delicious food. I think I'll definitely be making some burgers how you guys have suggested, most likely some brats and beer chicken. That dessert looks amazing as well. I'm really stoked for this weekend now! :D

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    depending on the type of grill he can easily cook both indirect and direct heat at the same time even. do the brats on the heat, chicken on the other

easy marinade for grilled vegetables is plain old italian dressing. if you cut them slightly bigger, you don't need the foil/grill pan. i would cook the veges ahead of time , they are good cold

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    I've got 3 burners and 1 side burner.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • StukovFortyTwoStukovFortyTwo Registered User new member
    edited July 2008
    I have always found that grilled pizza is a nice off the beaten path choice. Take frozen pizza dough (good homemade stuff if you are feeling ambitious) let it thaw and rise, shape it, the toss it on the grill for 5 to 10 minutes per side (medium high-ish heat). At that point it ought to be set up enough to toss on sauce and toppings of your choice.

StukovFortyTwo on
    +++Error Please Reinstall Universe and Reboot+++
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I love fajitas made with chicken fresh off the grill. You can take ElJeffe's suggestion and grill your veggies too. Just make sure to cook the stuff and then slice it up, otherwise you are going to be losing little bits of stuff down into your grill the whole time.

If you have any vegan/vegetarian friends, grilling portobello mushroom caps for use in "burgers" will make them pretty happy. Just make sure to cook their stuff before you do the meat.

Regina Fong on
    edited July 2008
    3 burners are a little trickier to do the indirect since turning one off usually doesn't leae you enough room and if you turn off 2 you don't maintain enough heat.

what i do is keep the 2 that are farthest away opposite, so one on high, one off, then turn the middle to low, that should keep the temp about 300-400 (you can turn it up or off depending. and the flame on the low doesn't mess around with indirect stuff

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My favorite is a kind of special burger recipie.

You will need shredded cheese meat and a the dry mix up pack of ranch sauce maker from hidden valley

mix all three together and cook to your liking. I hate ranch dressing on salads but for some reason when its mixed in with beef and cheese it takes a whole new flavor for me.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Properly made lamb-burgers stuffed with goat cheese and mint are highly delicious.

If you really want to go all out, may I suggest the following:

Ahi Tuna Burgers with Pineapple-Mustard Glaze and Green Chile-Pickle Relish

Yes, ahi steaks are expensive. Yes, they're phenomenal simply seared. Yes, this is a shit load of work. But my god, they are out of this world. I promise. Hell, the glaze and relish are worth making on their own.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    edited July 2008
    Oooh, sorry to bump this thread again I also wanted to mention that I and my friends love spicy food... so anything spicy would go over really really well

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Easy as hell recipe for any BBQ and tastes absolutely great is Teriyaki chicken. This is how simple it is:

-Get a pretty big container and empty some bonless chicken in it (Thighs with bones actually work too) You may wanna cut the fat off first.
    -Dump some teriyaki sauce and a large can of pineapples into it juice and all. (you can add some spicy asian herbs for that kick you and your friends are looking for too)
    -Let it marinate for a few hours in the fridge covered (the longer the better).
    -Then just toss em on the grill.

Its SUPER easy, tastes great, and is a lil different than just slathering BBQ sauce on everything.

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CreepyCreepy Tucson, AzRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    These are the best burgers I've ever had:

Spring Fair Onion Burgers

Wife suggests using more Montreal Seasoning than what the recipe suggests.

They're so good you don't even need condiments.

Creepy on
    Live: Broichan

PSN: Broichan
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Spicy?

Take the previous brat idea and replace them with spicy italians, then soak them in beer and onions instead of pre-cooking them.

Wrap the onions up in tin foil along with a stick of butter and cook them right alongside the italians. Good stuff.

chamberlain on
    edited July 2008
    or boil in the beer and onions and throw them on the grill to give them that bbq loveliness

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have never understood the obsession with pre-cooking brats. Does it really make a taste difference?

I never do, and the only side effect is having to cook them at a slightly lower heat to avoid shooting flames fueled by spurting grease.

chamberlain on
    edited July 2008
    i think it helps speed up grilling time so if you are tailgating or something you don't wste fuel as much.

less easy to burn
    infuse more flavor
    ?

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have never understood the obsession with pre-cooking brats. Does it really make a taste difference?
    The cook quicker and they taste better. You should really do it. It's like how I never understood the obsession with using dry rubs until I started using dry rubs.

Raggaholic on
  • tralevtralev Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Creepy wrote: »
    These are the best burgers I've ever had:

Spring Fair Onion Burgers

Wife suggests using more Montreal Seasoning than what the recipe suggests.

They're so good you don't even need condiments.

If you like A1 Steak sauce substitute it for the BBQ sauce in this recipe.

tralev on
    Steam: tralev PS3: GeekMcD