As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Video Card Thread(56k go away)

• Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I doubt it'll be ignored by developers, as there's little reason to avoid learning it (if just in prep for 11).

For consumers, I agree. There's little incentive to go there, unless you happen to have the hardware anyway.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The last time I was up-to-date on video cards was when the 8800gt just came out. Can someone bring me up to speed?

Marty81 on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Marty81 wrote: »
    The last time I was up-to-date on video cards was when the 8800gt just came out. Can someone bring me up to speed?

Nvidia launched the 9000 series, which was generally viewed as a disappointment since they were more-or-less the same as the 8000 series. The 9800 GX2 was the flagship card and was powerful but stupidly expensive and sucked more power than an air conditioner.

ATI came out with the 3870 series which were okay but still lots out to 8800s so no one really bothered with them.

A few months later (around may) Nvidia announced some new cards, the 260 and the 280. These are using new architecture and are dramatically different from the chips inside the 8000 and 9000 series.

In june a whole bunch of cards came out - ATI launched the 4870 and 4850, which are priced to no longer compete with Nvidia's high-end flagship cards. The $299 4970 beats the 9800GTX and GTX+ pretty soundly, while the 4850 is a match for the 8800GT or 9600GT.

The new Nvidia cards are still the fastest single GPU solutions, with the GT280 being more powerful than any single GPU card but also costing $600, which makes it a pretty horrible value. The GT260 is somewhere in between, but since it's still more expensive than a 4870 it's not really worth it either.

After the past few years of being beat up by Nvidia, ATI seems to be making a solid comeback.

Brolo on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The 4850 seems to be benching higher than the GTX (and GTX+) in a few cases.

I still can't believe I'm so sold on an ATI card.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Rolo wrote: »
    The $299 4970 beats the 9800GTX and GTX+ pretty soundly, while the 4850 is a match for the 8800GT or 9600GT.

The 9800GTX can be had for $199. Even NewEgg has it for just a little over $200. The 9800GTX competes with the 4850, not the $299 4870.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Nvidia launched the 9000 series, which was generally viewed as a disappointment since they were more-or-less the same as the 8000 series. The 9800 GX2 was the flagship card and was powerful but stupidly expensive and sucked more power than an air conditioner.

ATI came out with the 3870 series which were okay but still lots out to 8800s so no one really bothered with them.

A few months later (around may) Nvidia announced some new cards, the 260 and the 280. These are using new architecture and are dramatically different from the chips inside the 8000 and 9000 series.

In june a whole bunch of cards came out - ATI launched the 4870 and 4850, which are priced to no longer compete with Nvidia's high-end flagship cards. The $299 4970 beats the 9800GTX and GTX+ pretty soundly, while the 4850 is a match for the 8800GT or 9600GT.

The new Nvidia cards are still the fastest single GPU solutions, with the GT280 being more powerful than any single GPU card but also costing $600, which makes it a pretty horrible value. The GT260 is somewhere in between, but since it's still more expensive than a 4870 it's not really worth it either.

After the past few years of being beat up by Nvidia, ATI seems to be making a solid comeback.

There are a few problems with what you said. the 4870 is actually not competing with the 9800GTX(+) cards, but the GTX 260. the GTX 260 is $100 more than the 4870, and the 4870 is about 5% faster than it. The 4850 competes with the 9800GTX and GTX+, and performs about equal to them, for the same price, smaller formfactor, and less power. the 4850 is faster than the 8800GT and 9600GT.

ATI will also be releasing in the near-ish future a 4870X2, which will have two 4870GPU's on one board, will probably perform about the same/better than the GTX 280, and cost about the same as the 280. the advantage the 4870 has over other dual GPU solutions like the 9800GX2 is that the 9800GX2 is basically two 9800's in SLI that plug into the same PCI-e slot, where the 4870X2 is seen as one card, so this way games that don't play nice with Crossfire/SLI will still use both GPU's instead of the situation with the 9800GX2 where if a game doesn't support SLI it'll only use one of the GPU's in the card.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    personally paying a bit more is worth not having to deal with ATI's drivers.

That's my problem there my first two cards were ATI and the drivers were like the plague, my friend just got a 4850 though and the card was running at 78 degrees celcius in idle. It was rediculous, you hae to fiddle around with it to get the fan speed back to normal but not everyone will be compfortable doing this so what the hell do they do, we didn't play any games on it until we got the idle temp down as he was afraid it might damage the card under load.

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Dixon wrote: »

That's my problem there my first two cards were ATI and the drivers were like the plague, my friend just got a 4850 though and the card was running at 78 degrees celcius in idle. It was rediculous, you hae to fiddle around with it to get the fan speed back to normal but not everyone will be compfortable doing this so what the hell do they do, we didn't play any games on it until we got the idle temp down as he was afraid it might damage the card under load.

that's a bit hot, and while the 48x0 series cards run a bit hot, 78 is a bit much. I'd look at RMA'ing the card.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »

There are a few problems with what you said. the 4870 is actually not competing with the 9800GTX(+) cards, but the GTX 260. the GTX 260 is $100 more than the 4870, and the 4870 is about 5% faster than it. The 4850 competes with the 9800GTX and GTX+, and performs about equal to them, for the same price, smaller formfactor, and less power. the 4850 is faster than the 8800GT and 9600GT.

ATI will also be releasing in the near-ish future a 4870X2, which will have two 4870GPU's on one board, will probably perform about the same/better than the GTX 280, and cost about the same as the 280. the advantage the 4870 has over other dual GPU solutions like the 9800GX2 is that the 9800GX2 is basically two 9800's in SLI that plug into the same PCI-e slot, where the 4870X2 is seen as one card, so this way games that don't play nice with Crossfire/SLI will still use both GPU's instead of the situation with the 9800GX2 where if a game doesn't support SLI it'll only use one of the GPU's in the card.

Sorry, I wrote that last night when I was not exactly coherent. I was talking from a price standpoint, which is the same way ATI has been marketing the 4000-series (4870 vs 9800 GTX, 4850 vs 8800/9600), although that has changed recently.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

that's a bit hot, and while the 48x0 series cards run a bit hot, 78 is a bit much. I'd look at RMA'ing the card.

Looking around through google this is pretty common so I doubt rma'ing the card would help, especially after fiddling with the fan speed we got the temp to 46 idle

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Looking around through google this is pretty common so I doubt rma'ing the card would help, especially after fiddling with the fan speed we got the temp to 46 idle

yea I'm seeing that a lot more. It's kinda weird, because my 4870 has been idling around 65C since I installed it. not great, but not horrible enough for me to start tinkering with fan speeds.

Note, I'm gonna change the thread title here to the Video Card thread, since that's kinda what it's become.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

yea I'm seeing that a lot more. It's kinda weird, because my 4870 has been idling around 65C since I installed it. not great, but not horrible enough for me to start tinkering with fan speeds.

Note, I'm gonna change the thread title here to the Video Card thread, since that's kinda what it's become.

I would imagine you have a better air flow in your case though, his old x800 was about 10 degrees hotter then the average listed temp. He has one of the Xion II cases, my old one actually :P It wasn't the best case for moving air as say something like the 900 which is pretty awesome

Dixon on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    OK, quick question.

Used video cards. Yay or nay?

I'm doing a half-assed upgrade to keep my four year old computer semidecent for anoter couple of years. I don't expect to run Crysis, but I am hoping to get Starcraft II looking decent.

My plan was to get a $99 or below card once the price drops from the new cards has shaken out, but since I'll be doing a real, full upgrade in a couple of years, I'd like to save a few bucks if I can.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    artooartoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    artoo on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    artoo wrote: »

It's the factory overclocked "XXX edition". Get a stock one instead, it should be cheaper.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

It's the factory overclocked "XXX edition". Get a stock one instead, it should be cheaper.

It was $205 bucks (with rebate) 4 days ago. :P

artoo on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, Nvidia dropped prices a lot on their cards. For example, a MSI-branded GTX280 can be had from Newegg for $499 after rebate, and it is factory OC'd higher than the EVGA SSC edition ($650). I am probably going to buy one, but there's a problem. While my PSU is up to the task in terms of amps/watts, it only has 2x6 pin connectors, while the 280 requires 1x6 and 1x8 connectors. The other, more expensive bundles include a 2x6 to 1x8 adapter. Does anyone know where I could buy one of these adapters separately? Newegg doesn't have them, and a bit of googling has turned up nothing.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Contact your PSU maker. If it's Corsair they will more than likely send you one for free. I expect most quality companies will as well.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500037

Buy this and overclock it yourself. Or get the AMP'd Edition thats at 750 Mhz for only $199.00.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This is what I'm most pissed off about: These are the recent price drops nVidia has made in response to the 48xx series Radeons...

GTX 280: $600->$500
    GTX 260: $400->$330
    9800GTX: $330->$200
    9600GT: $130->$130

Do you see the issue?

I've been waiting for months for the price to drop on the 9600gt in response to all these new cards and it just hasn't. It only has one more week to drop and then I'm buying it one way or another.

But I'm not pleased.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Buy this and overclock it yourself. Or get the AMP'd Edition thats at 750 Mhz for only $199.00.

Zotac a good brand?

artoo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    They are owned by Sapphire. I would get an EVGA, XFX, or BFG before a Zotac though.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    This is what I'm most pissed off about: These are the recent price drops nVidia has made in response to the 48xx series Radeons...

GTX 280: $600->$500
    GTX 260: $400->$330
    9800GTX: $330->$200
    9600GT: $130->$130

Do you see the issue?

I've been waiting for months for the price to drop on the 9600gt in response to all these new cards and it just hasn't. It only has one more week to drop and then I'm buying it one way or another.

But I'm not pleased.

they really have no need to drop the price of that part though as it's really the only thing in it's price range that performs anywhere near that level. every other price drop has been because of pressure from ATI. as soon as ATI releases more lower end cards in the 4000 series I could see nVidia drop the price of the 9600GT, or hell, just replace it with another GT card based on the GTX 2x0 at the same price.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Zotac a good brand?

Zotac/Sapphire is an excellent brand. Before EVGA, Zotac's parent company, Sapphire, was considered one of the top 3rd party producers on the market.

By the way, for anyone trying to figure out the difference between EVGA, XFX, BFG, Zotac, MSI, or any of the other nVidia 3rd party manufacturers - for the most part, you're not buying "anything different" in their individual cards - you're pretty much just buying their unique warranty. Pretty much the cards are the same, aside from differences in the addition of a 3rd party cooler, or stock OC'ing.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

do they have a way to increase the fan speed yet? i was looking for a way and coulding find one a week ago.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just a quicky: So is it worth paying the extra hundred bucks to get a 4870 over a 4850?

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The 4870 will perform better at higher resolutions and with more AA. It will be more future proof than the 4850 when it comes to more graphically intensive games as well.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I hate that I have to look for a specific, unstated case measurement "Distance between the back of the case and %NEAREST_OBJECT%" to see if a video card will fit these days.

Also, WTB 4850 with a factory dual-slot cooler plz.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Bryse Eayo wrote: »
    Just a quicky: So is it worth paying the extra hundred bucks to get a 4870 over a 4850?

i would say yes, especially if you're gaming on a 1680x1050 screen or higher. If you have the extra $100 to spend, go for it.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I gotta say, with the price drops, a 280 GTX is tempting me more now. It takes 2 4870's in crossfire mode (not always supported and 100 dollars more expensive) just to slightly beat one 280 GTX. Then later when games get more demanding, and prices drop, I can add a second (hopefully, I am aware it has to be an identical card).

Really pulling my hair out this time trying to put together my shopping list for a high end machine without just throwing away money on shit that won't show much return.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yoshua wrote: »
    I gotta say, with the price drops, a 280 GTX is tempting me more now. It takes 2 4870's in crossfire mode (not always supported and 100 dollars more expensive) just to slightly beat one 280 GTX. Then later when games get more demanding, and prices drop, I can add a second (hopefully, I am aware it has to be an identical card).

Really pulling my hair out this time trying to put together my shopping list for a high end machine without just throwing away money on shit that won't show much return.

ATI will have a 4870x2 come august that can most likely crossfire with the 4870. i somehow doubt they will be able to make a 280x2 this year. most likely they will come out with a 380x2 next year that will incorporated a 45nm process and cost 1200 dollars.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Yoshua wrote: »

ATI will have a 4870x2 come august that can most likely crossfire with the 4870. i somehow doubt they will be able to make a 280x2 this year. most likely they will come out with a 380x2 next year that will incorporated a 45nm process and cost 1200 dollars.

yea, the 4870X2 will (supposedly) be competitive with the GTX 280 and not have to worry about any of the SLI/crossfire support issues because games will recognize it as one card instead of current solutions like the 9800GX2 which is just SLI'd cards using a single PCI-e connector.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I just bought 4870 for my computer, but I forgot to check the power supply. Is 450W supply enough? I don't have any other external cards in my motherboard.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    elkatas wrote: »
    I just bought 4870 for my computer, but I forgot to check the power supply. Is 450W supply enough? I don't have any other external cards in my motherboard.

that *should* be enough. what are the rest of your specs?

the 4870 requires 2 of the 6 pin PCI-e connectors. it comes with 1 adapter so you can take two 4 pin molex and convert that to a single PCI-e power.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    that *should* be enough. what are the rest of your specs?

image1fn5.jpg

1 GB memory, DDR2, bandwith 400 MHZ

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Zotac a good brand?

Zotac/Sapphire is an excellent brand. Before EVGA, Zotac's parent company, Sapphire, was considered one of the top 3rd party producers on the market.

By the way, for anyone trying to figure out the difference between EVGA, XFX, BFG, Zotac, MSI, or any of the other nVidia 3rd party manufacturers - for the most part, you're not buying "anything different" in their individual cards - you're pretty much just buying their unique warranty. Pretty much the cards are the same, aside from differences in the addition of a 3rd party cooler, or stock OC'ing.

Um, looks like I'm ordering this card. But I got a question, do I have to use drivers from Zotac? Or can I use any drivers for a 9800 GTX?

artoo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    elkatas wrote: »

Give us the model of your power supply. The most important thing are the amps on the 12v rail. IF they do not meet the 4870s requirements it either will not work or your PSU will die in a short amount of time. Which could take everything else with it.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Zotac a good brand?

Um, looks like I'm ordering this card. But I got a question, do I have to use drivers from Zotac? Or can I use any drivers for a 9800 GTX?

You get your drivers from Nvidias website. I would suggest you buy from an American company (if you are in NA) that has a lifetime warranty.

Like this XFX one:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3747036&CatId=3670

XFX has a lifetime warranty that covers overclocking and it is transferable.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Macro9 wrote: »

Zotac a good brand?

You get your drivers from Nvidias website. I would suggest you buy from an American company (if you are in NA) that has a lifetime warranty.

Like this XFX one:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3747036&CatId=3670

XFX has a lifetime warranty that covers overclocking and it is transferable.

Ok, Im ordering this one tonight!! :winky:

artoo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    GET A 4850 INSTEAD OF A GTX!

thats the last time im gonna say it

Dunadan019 on