As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assassins Thread - Tell us what you liked/disliked!

MarsCheliosMarsChelios Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in PAX Archive
Registration Problem Detected!
I have found a problem with the registration system How to Register
To sign up, go to http://phenixone.com/register to make an account on the site (just a username and email is needed), then go to http://phenixone.com/user to view your profile; available games will be shown with a list of schedule events. Click the 'Register' link for the Penny Arcade event and you’re in!

A note for people who participated in Patient Zero last year. User accounts were not brought over by default, so you can either create a new account or if you would like your account reinstated, pm me and I will do so. The achievement system is not set up in this new version of the site (coming soon!), but players who played in PZ will have those achievements brought over.

Assassins Gameplay
Some people were expressing some concern with Assassins being run in such a high population environment, and gave some great suggestions on how to do that. I've taken those suggestions and put something together that will hopefully keep the core gameplay but give people more options.

Basically, their are now two tiers of gameplay, with the primary tier being core Assassins and the secondary tier being a free-for-all. Both tiers attribute to a metascore for ranking and prizes.

Primary Tier
Players will be given a card (and a way to wear it) with a unique but highly visible symbol on it. This card also has a smaller piece (think a keychain VIP type card) on it that breaks off; that piece has a mini version of your symbol and that of your target. A sample is below.
assassin_demo.png
So your card tells you who your first target is, and should you find them, you take their current breakaway card, which has their target. In the event that they have already found that target, you'll take the breakaway card with their current target. And so on.

For each "kill" you make you will have a breakaway card for it, so in the event you are eliminated, you will have a record of your kills. There will also be a way to record your kills online.

The Booty Clause (Optional Rule from The Reflection)
Basically everyone involved brings a piece of booty. An action figure, stuffed animal, or some little cool thing to act as a trophy; i.e. something you are willing to give away.

When you kill someone, they give you their piece of booty to keep as a trophy. Like a little something to remind them, 'Hey, I remember killing that one guy at PAX!'. If you collect some booty then get wacked, you just give up the booty you brought; the ones you have collected are yours for keeps.

Secondary Tier
The secondary tier is a free-for-all system, where players will perform "stealth kills" on players by locating a numeric code on another players card and texting it to an email address or recording it online. I'm debating whether to make each player "stealth killable" once, or once per day.

Pickup Spots
You can pick up your kit at the Pre-PAX Dinner Thursday night or Friday morning in the Sheraton Lobby from 8-12ish.

An email will go out soon to registered players with ways of getting in contact with me should miss one of these windows, but do not count on using it. If you do not pick up your kit before the game starts, I cannot guarantee you a spot, since we will most likely be at max capacity.

Rules!
Expect a massive update to the rules this weekend that should finish them off. It would benefit you to check on this and print out a version of the final draft for reference.

Official rules for the game are found here, check back often for updates.
http://phenixone.com/ASSASSINS_RULES_CURRENT.pdf

MarsChelios on

• The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    uh, somethings wrone with your site as i see no way to register.

The_Reflection on
  • MarsCheliosMarsChelios Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sorry about that, it was a cache problem. Should work now for you, but if you get any more errors, pm me and I'll sort it out.

MarsChelios on
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    okay, all registered. This sounds like it'll be fun. So how do we get these cards? Are they mailed to us, do we buy them, what?

George Fornby Grill on
  • MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Registered!
    Looks like a good time! Plus I just beat Assassin's Creed.

And I second the question about the cards.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, to "Kill" our target, we have come up and take the target's card? I'm a mite confused on how that works.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    edited July 2008
    all right im registered. Let the bloodbath begin.

The_Reflection on
  • ReighvinReighvin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm registered. I can't wait to see how this whole thing plays out. :-)

Reighvin on
    edited July 2008
    Great, this game has caused me to completely revamp my idea for cosplay....looks like it's time for De Killer to shine. :P

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    registered. sounds likes a lot of fun. i missed out in the past, but i'm ready to be target practice this year!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm totally up for this. PZ was fun last year, but just too complicated to work quickly enough with such a small group of players in such a large group of attendees.

The Deliverator on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Registered as well. Looking forward to this. Is there a cost involved, I doubt you'll be making these cards for free.

redhalo on
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, am I thinking this out correctly

Once you get killed via the primary system, you're done. You get to keep all your kills, but your current target is taken away. However, you can still participate in the free for all?

Forgive my repetition, but I just want to make sure I'm thinking this out the right way

JonnyNero on
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I signed up.

But I think I need a rules clarification as well.

Also what is the prize?

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

edited July 2008
    JonnyNero wrote: »
    So, am I thinking this out correctly

Once you get killed via the primary system, you're done. You get to keep all your kills, but your current target is taken away. However, you can still participate in the free for all?

Yes, that's exactly the way it works.
    trentsteel wrote: »
    Also what is the prize?

Not sure about the prize distributions yet, but this will go to the player with the highest metascore.
    lrg_mini.metro_Red_Blk.jpg

MarsChelios on
    edited July 2008
    Oooh, nice prize Mars.

redhalo on
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    registered...and thanks for the clarification Mars

JonnyNero on
  • HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    redhalo wrote: »
    Oooh, nice prize Mars.

I borrowed that last year, and it rocks. If it's the same model, the strap latches with an old school seatbelt buckle. Love that thing.

edit: Oh, and registered. I notice you seem to have a player cap of 50. I wouldn't recommend a cap of any kind.I don't really expect we'll get 50, but at an event this large, we need as many as possible. I understand you pay the cost for the tags and prizes yourself, but if the player base wants to break 50, I say let it and find ways to defray the cost. Solicit donations and whatnot. The game will be better for it.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i vote for a $5 per person pool so that the winner gets $250, or $200 and second place gets $50 prize, or some variation. maybe winner of primary and free-for-all games get $100 prize while runners up get $25 prizes. this will also allow you to take a cut out for costs of the game. better do this quick, though, if you would plan to. wait too long and it'll get hard to collect.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • ReighvinReighvin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm up for paying a fee also to help offset the costs of this. Just let us all know.

Reighvin on
    edited July 2008
    HotSake wrote: »
    I notice you seem to have a player cap of 50. I wouldn't recommend a cap of any kind.I don't really expect we'll get 50, but at an event this large, we need as many as possible. I understand you pay the cost for the tags and prizes yourself, but if the player base wants to break 50, I say let it and find ways to defray the cost. Solicit donations and whatnot. The game will be better for it.

I've bumped it up to 100, but I'll support as many players who want to play.
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    i vote for a $5 per person pool so that the winner gets $250, or $200 and second place gets $50 prize, or some variation. maybe winner of primary and free-for-all games get $100 prize while runners up get $25 prizes. this will also allow you to take a cut out for costs of the game. better do this quick, though, if you would plan to. wait too long and it'll get hard to collect.

I won't be charging anything for this game. I will be putting a donate/support button on the site, and while it's not necessary it certainly will be appreciated.

On a completely unrelated note, since the button trading thing has blown up, I'm going to be making some Assassins buttons for those who play. I've got a few designs, so let me know which one you like the best.
    Design 1
    assassins_button_choice_1.png
    Design 2
    assassins_button_choice_2.png
    Design 3
    assassins_button_choice_3.png

MarsChelios on
  • The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh man, buttons for Assassins too? Those all look good, but I think I like the first one with just the symbol best. I'm barely gonna be able to walk with all the buttons I'm gonna have stuck on me.

The Deliverator on
  • WhytmageWhytmage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I notice you seem to have a player cap of 50. I wouldn't recommend a cap of any kind.I don't really expect we'll get 50, but at an event this large, we need as many as possible. I understand you pay the cost for the tags and prizes yourself, but if the player base wants to break 50, I say let it and find ways to defray the cost. Solicit donations and whatnot. The game will be better for it.

I won't be charging anything for this game. I will be putting a donate/support button on the site, and while it's not necessary it certainly will be appreciated.

On a completely unrelated note, since the button trading thing has blown up, I'm going to be making some Assassins buttons for those who play. I've got a few designs, so let me know which one you like the best.
    Design 1
    Design 2
    Design 3

I'm voting for the first one. :D

Whytmage on
    :!!: Current Addiction: World of Warcraft
    :!!: Progress: My mage can kick your mage's ass. My hunter can kick your mage's ass, and I'm positive my Shadow Priest can kick your mage's ass also.
    edited July 2008
    if you put the blood spatter on two on top of the word I would vote for that

The_Reflection on
  • AtomicFreakAtomicFreak Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Registered, and design 1 is my vote as well.

AtomicFreak on
    TheAtomicFreak.gif
    theatomicfreak.png
    edited July 2008

Design 1
    Design 2
    Design 3

I vote for design 1.

And thanks for your support of the button movement. Efforts like your contribution of this game of Assassins is what really makes for a strong community.

redhalo on
    edited July 2008
    Design 1 gets my vote as well.
    But maybe not so much blood. Just a little blood around the edges maybe.

jussa suggestion.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
    edited July 2008
    1 as well, but a little less blood so people can see the A.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited July 2008

Design 1
    Design 2
    Design 3
    i really like the first one. being an assassin means nobody around you knows what you do, except for others in your industry. having a button that nobody recognizes except other assassins sounds perfect. i would only recommend the splatter from #3 instead.<p />
    as for donating, atleast tell us how much it's costing you. i will give $10 or so, but would feel crappy if it costs you more than that. thanks.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I definitely vote 1, but with the design a little clearer. Right now the blood obscures it too much. 2 and 3 are a little too likely to be mistaken for Assassin's Creed ads, methinks.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
    edited July 2008
    I definitely vote 1, but with the design a little clearer. Right now the blood obscures it too much. 2 and 3 are a little too likely to be mistaken for Assassin's Creed ads, methinks.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but it seemed wrong not to do it that way. Anyway, I made the suggested changes to designs 1 and 2 and updated the original post with info on the buttons. Looks like we have 16 people signed up already!

MarsChelios on
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Alrighty, I'm in. Patient Zero was fun last year, even if it did cut off all circulation to my hand and make my poor Canadian cellphone cry. As far as buttons go, I like the first one as well.

One thing...whenever I try to change my password on the phenixone profile site, it gives me an error.

tr0tsky on
    edited July 2008
    yes, i love #1 now. it's perfecto.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    edited July 2008
    Trotsky, you should be good now.

MarsChelios on
    edited July 2008
    I still would like to know how we get these cards.
    Do we meet somewhere and you hand em out?

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
    edited July 2008
    still doesn't want to let me change my password. It doesn't really matter, since I have the email with my password in it.

tr0tsky on
    edited July 2008
    Woops, you're right! For some reason I was requiring a user to have a first name in there. I'll be adding some feedback on that page later today, but you should be able to change everything now.

Yeah, I'm thinking a meeting say on Thurday night, Friday morning should work. I'm doing the Pre-PAX dinner and I'll have everyones stuff there, but will probably set up one or two more location/times to meet up.

MarsChelios on
    edited July 2008
    Alright, it works now. Cheers.

tr0tsky on
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I'm thinking a meeting say on Thurday night, Friday morning should work. I'm doing the Pre-PAX dinner and I'll have everyones stuff there, but will probably set up one or two more location/times to meet up.

Ok then. I'll be at the dinner so that'll work fine.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Labrack2401Labrack2401 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Okay Im all registered and ready to kill.

I like design 1 the best

Labrack2401 on
    edited July 2008
    Woops, you're right! For some reason I was requiring a user to have a first name in there. I'll be adding some feedback on that page later today, but you should be able to change everything now.

the pre-pax dinner should be the official pre-game meeting spot. everyone should be there anyway, since it'll be a great event (and you should all sign up soon, since they have to put money up early).

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
This discussion has been closed.