As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[AoC] Age of Conan: Now F2P and stuff

• Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2008
    I like this whole xfire hullabaloo that's going on. The same people that used it as a benchmark to show how amazing AoC was doing when it first released, are now trashing its credibility when the numbers have dipped by 50%. Aaah, to be young and a fanboy.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Djiem wrote: »

I dunno, had they not used the word "gank", the fact they did this on a RP-PVP server is awesome. Instead of only having regular assassins and robbers, we now get rapists on the roads of Hyboria.

I dunno it seems more like adolecent males practicing a rape fantasy more then I'd prefer. But then again I have a thing against rape in any way shape or form.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    so if the loot sucks (which it does) why bother playing this game anymore, to see your barbarian go from ugly to less ugly?

I must say I've never been so unimpressed with an MMO since auto assault, and at least you coujld get a flamethrower in AA :winky:

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    Arsenic CanaryArsenic Canary A Whirlwind of Joy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Does anyone know if Despoil the Soul, a Necromancer talent, actually does anything?

If I sacrifice all my beautiful minions to this spell, it says I get something like +160 damage to spells. Which sounds badass, but in practice seems to do...nothing at all.

Is this just another of the legion of broken talents?

Arsenic Canary on
    Steam: arsenic_canary
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am currently angry at age of conan, I logged in and after mulling about grinding for exp for a bit expressed some disinterest in the quality of entertainment I was partaking in (particularly that pvp is nearly nonexistant and eiglophan mountains is a ghost town) to which my guild suggested that I should "go back to wow" or play Halo

So I dunno if I'll ever be running age of conan again, the community is the worst I've seen since Vanguard. If a developer logged in and asked for feedback he'd have 99 people verbally fellating him and 1 person giving him the truth

override367 on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If a developer logged in and asked for feedback he'd have 99 people verbally fellating him and 1 person giving him the truth

This.

And what is with this trend that you need to hate on whicheves mmo you're not currently playing?

5 lines of text can't go by in Aoc OOC without "WOW sux lol"

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Figgy wrote: »
    And what is with this trend that you need to hate on whicheves mmo you're not currently playing?

Yeah, I've been feeling this a lot recently. I'll be honest, I'm not playing AoC or WoW because of a variety of different reasons, but there are lots of things about both games (more hypotheticals in the former) that you really can't dog on. Although it is certainly fun to jokingly poke fun at both of them :P

"So this game is sort of like WoW?" Yeah, and what exactly is wrong with mimicking and improving on many aspects of the best selling MMO ever?

Hell, last night I was in a conversation with Morskittar and ended up raving about how awesome the concept of Spellweaving was, what with the amplified damage and various buffs/debuffs.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Nalouto wrote: »
    so if the loot sucks (which it does) why bother playing this game anymore, to see your barbarian go from ugly to less ugly?

I must say I've never been so unimpressed with an MMO since auto assault, and at least you coujld get a flamethrower in AA :winky:

So if you have little to add to the thread why bother posting in it? I like the look of my assasin at 80 I wish there were more friends my level available to run some instances but the game is still new so I started up my hox again, (well that and I got an awesome levle 76 epic and I want to see that bad ass stuck in enemies).

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If a developer logged in and asked for feedback he'd have 99 people verbally fellating him and 1 person giving him the truth

This.

5 lines of text can't go by in Aoc OOC without "WOW sux lol"

My god I know, it infuriates the hell out of me. You can't have a discussion in AOC with anyone about the state or future of the game without someone bringing up WoW. The most amazing thing is, it's the AoC fanboys that bring up WoW, not the people hating on it.

me:"Ugh I wish there were more quests"
    them:"Did you play WoW at launch? THAT GAME WAS UNPLAYABLE"
    me:"How is that relevant? I'm not happy that I have to grind for 20 levels"
    them:"You must be new to mmos the game is LESS THAN TWO MONTHS OLD"

etc, ignoring the fact that if an MMO wants to be successful in 2008 in needs to be BETTER THAN WORLD OF WARCRAFT, certainly better than WoW was in 2005

override367 on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Nalouto wrote: »

Hey now, don't hate on AutoAssault. I may not have played it for more than a week, but one of my fondest MMO memories ever will be of ramping my scout car off a dirt ramp, screaming "YEEHAW!" into the headset and firing a machine gun at a group of motorcycles. AutoAssault didn't really get it in terms of making a good game, but it attempted to fulfill one of my deepest childhood fantasies (Mad Max really struck a chord with me) and will always have a place in my heart. ;P

Which makes me think of that (probably going to be terrible) movie that comes out soon about a prison with a Car Wars meets Running Man theme. Mmm....

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Well not even just that, but the simple mentality that if you used to play WOW, you need to hate it.

I played WOW from release until BWL, and I simply quit. I look back and realize it was an excellent game with many great points, but I got bored of the end-game. That's all.

Unfortunately, the above is rare to see.. instead:

I played WOW until I realized it sucked LOL! That game was nothing but a grind! There's nothing to do and PVP sucks!

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

etc, ignoring the fact that if an MMO wants to be successful in 2008 in needs to be BETTER THAN WORLD OF WARCRAFT, certainly better than WoW was in 2005

That's really killing me. I knew I should hold off on AoC for a few months, let them iron out the bugs. I wish you could wait to get into an MMO till six months in, but that's not how the system currently works. Your success or demise in obscurity occurs a month or two in. AoC will probably actually be a really fantastic game in a couple months, but the bugs and lack of certain PvP content doesn't really make me want to play it. However, the community might be gone in six months when I come back. I jumped over to Vanguard, and I'm having a fun time, but I can also see where Sony hasn't fixed certain bugs, just because the lack of a subscriber base has made it a "low management style" game. No reason to put money into something that isn't making money.

And then there's the MMO player mentality, to which there is some truth, that you don't want to play a game if you're going to be way behind the leveling curve when tons of people are maxed out. If I weren't such a die-hard fan boy, I'd wait till WAR was out six months, hopefully roll on a fresh server when they release one (assuming it's successful like WoW and requires additional servers sometimes. If not, the whole point is moot) and then be leveling along side all the other top players. But I won't/can't do that.

Grumble.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I happen to disagree that you need to be BETTER THAN WORLD OF WARCRAFT.

You need to be better than WoW if you are trying to steal WoW's market: The raiders, the hardcore faction engineers and the content pushers.

For Age of Conan, they need to do PvP better than WoW, better than DAoC, better than Guild Wars etc. That is what their game is sold around and they need to attract those types of players. If they don't bring over the hardcore PvE types it's not a big deal because that isn't their market. However, if they fail to sway and entertain the PvP/Siege/Politics crowd they will most certainly fail.

I make the same argument for WAR. While the two games (WAR/WoW) have very similar concepts, at their core they appeal to a different set of players. If you cannot hold onto your core, your game is a failure.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Well Aoc has the unique combat option and gorey deaths going for it right now. If I want to play an MMO with those this is that game and I can say I enjoy both aspects immensely, probably a bit more with the fatalities then I should (hox's get a fatality at 60 where you thrust your hand into a man chest and set him on fire from the inside).

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well Aoc has the unique combat option and gorey deaths going for it right now. If I want to play an MMO with those this is that game and I can say I enjoy both aspects immensely, probably a bit more with the fatalities then I should (hox's get a fatality at 60 where you thrust your hand into a man chest and set him on fire from the inside).

Those are hardly core mechanics. I don't think AOC is banking on capturing the "fatality loving crowd" in order to keep the servers up.

They advertised the game as featuring epic, large-scale battles. They keep saying these features are coming, improving, and being added to. I think the future success of this game is banking on that promise.

Figgy on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So I saw a GM next to a hill. I walked up to him and attempted to knock him off of the hill (RAWR! BEAR SHAMAN MOTHER FUCKER!). It did not work. So my Guardian buddy and I started hitting him and were going to town on him for a massive 20 damage total or something hillarious (we were around level 70). All he said was, "Back off." Weak. He should have destroyed us. I guess we could have kept going, but figuring the level of customer service this game has, he probably would have just banned us. So we just killed the guy he was helping. :| It was also funny to see other people run over to the GM as if he was a gank-free zone. I knocked one of them off the cliff. Score.

Anyone else have any experiences with GMs?

Shens on
  • Options
    strahd618strahd618 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I enjoyed AOC for the first few weeks I had it but since getting my HOX to level 61 I've gotten a bit bored with the game overall. The loot drops are bleh and I've never really felt any danger when in combat unless were taking on way too many mobs at one time.
    I love the graphics and overall look and combat is a blast, but at times I feel like I'm playing a newly updated 3D version of Diablo or Titan Quest. That's my experience on a PVE server.

Now with my Conqueor and two buddies who play with me on a PVP server I have a lot more fun. The tension of possibly being killed is there but I'm not an easy target since I have two folks with me at all times. And the fact that combat is a bit more involving makes PVP that much more fun. Pkus other two guys are an Assassin and Ranger so they just stealth so I look like I am by myself all the time, so some have found out its not the best idea to try and kill me.

So whomever said that Funcom should be Banking on delivering awesome World PVP to make the game shine hit the nail right on the head.

strahd618 on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Unfortunately, as someone put it on another forum put it, Conan is not an epic clash of barbarian clans, its a bunch of e-thugs comparing the size of their penii.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Shens wrote: »
    So I saw a GM next to a hill. I walked up to him and attempted to knock him off of the hill (RAWR! BEAR SHAMAN MOTHER FUCKER!). It did not work. So my Guardian buddy and I started hitting him and were going to town on him for a massive 20 damage total or something hillarious (we were around level 70). All he said was, "Back off." Weak. He should have destroyed us. I guess we could have kept going, but figuring the level of customer service this game has, he probably would have just banned us. So we just killed the guy he was helping. :| It was also funny to see other people run over to the GM as if he was a gank-free zone. I knocked one of them off the cliff. Score.

Anyone else have any experiences with GMs?

Nice. My only GM experience was a petition, "Halp, halp, quest reward broke, makes me sad!" GM response, "QQ more."

Sad panda...

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Unfortunately, as someone put it on another forum put it, Conan is not an epic clash of barbarian clans, its a bunch of e-thugs comparing the size of their penii.

...?

What's the difference? Motives may be different, but it's still a bunch of people killing each other.

Figgy on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

...?

What's the difference? Motives may be different, but it's still a bunch of people killing each other.

plus pvp and e-peens pretty much go hand in hand. in any game

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    Chad SexingtonChad Sexington Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't understand the preoccupation with loot. Who really cares?

Chad Sexington on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

people who care about loot care?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Well, there are two methods of progress in MMO's usually... loot and experience. I mean, if one of them sucks, you're kinda shortchanged.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Soo... anyone have an extra friend trial or are there any rumors about actual trials? This game kinda pissed me off in beta and I'm wondering if it improved.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    JackanapesJackanapes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Soo... anyone have an extra friend trial or are there any rumors about actual trials? This game kinda pissed me off in beta and I'm wondering if it improved.

Friend keys do not currently work, I have been informed.

Funcom doesnt want your money! Its no good here! :x

Jackanapes on
  • Options
    GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Game hasn't terribly improved since beta. There's been a lot of client stabilization, but there's still a huge memory leak for a lot of folk and something where the ping jumps up to 10k every so often and either boots you or just irritates you. And then there's the whole content thing, which still isn't there.

Give it a few more months, Law.

Galielmus on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Jackanapes wrote: »

Funcom doesn't want trial passes to see it is still a buggy mess. I'd imagine in a month or two we will see them open that program up.

Shens on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Shens wrote: »
    Jackanapes wrote: »

Funcom doesn't want trial passes to see it is still a buggy mess. I'd imagine in a month or two we will see them open that program up.

Kinda like how the NDA lasted right up to the last day of beta. They know they've got a piss-poor presentation after Tortage.

Figgy on
  • Options
    GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    NDA actually lasted until after the game was released, I thought. Actually, I never got an email confirming the removal of the NDA...

Galielmus on
  • Options
    TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    I thought the game was pretty good, overall. It just crashed too damned much for me, despite the hundred updates and modifications I tried.

Teth on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The NDA still has not been removed

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    robothero wrote: »

You are all reported!

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I think its pretty funny the test server still has an NDA

I hear it doesn't even get patch notes anymore because of rampant leaking.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Chad SexingtonChad Sexington Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Wren wrote: »

I think its pretty funny the test server still has an NDA

I hear it doesn't even get patch notes anymore because of rampant leaking.

The test server is open to all subscribers now.

Chad Sexington on
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    This game has gotten me so good at CoD4, cause i play it so much now. You know. For PVP.

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    This game has gotten me so good at CoD4, cause i play it so much now. You know. For PVP.

Right before I quit, I got so pissed off at the game that I finally built the furniture I'd been meaning to build since moving in. No kidding, this game drove me to carpentry.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    A carpenter, you say?

Be you the son of a Jewish King?

Did playing Age of Conan help you find yourself? (Jesus?)

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    AOC brought Christ into my life. Thanks AOC!

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    As much as I'd like to proclaim myself as the Messiah at this point, I think that'd be vaunting my awesomeness a bit early. But give me time, yes...

Darkewolfe on
This discussion has been closed.