As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Football (Soccer) Thread: I hollerd lordy lordy have mercy on me!

Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Obligatory Torres is a BAMF picture:
fernando-torres.jpg
We now present the SECOND incarnation of the infamous "soccer" thread.
Now with 100% less Portuguese Bloke who plays for that Manchester team.
What is Football?
Football is a simple game where upon 22 men chase a ball around, and in the end the Germans win.
Wait, isn't that soccer?
Only in backwards countries like the United States and...Australia.
Man, I got so hot for Chelsea, they are my favorite team and Man United fans are piles of sticks!
You sir, can leave our cultured FOOTBALL thread where upon there shall only be the highest of discourse. I present you an example from the last thread of the way gentlemen speak about the game:
Arikado wrote:
Man, Rigobert Song is a fcking moron. He did like 5 things wrong on the play that let Egypt win.

Okay, maybe not then. But just try and remember that everyone has different opinions, and just because your team won the League and the Champions League and has that Portugese Winger Fellow, doesn't meant that they are "the best evar" or that we should "suck it."

Mission Statement: In this thread we en devour to:
* Witness trash talk between EvilBob and Lord Of The Pants, as Adelaide sell all their good young players, and as Sydney buy shit old ones.
* Call for the death of Graham Arnold, as he couldn't manage his way out of a wet paper bag.
* NOT debate the strengths and weaknesses of various Arsenal defenders, way to go to wreck a thread.
* Quote Kevin Keeganisms whenever possible. (You can't do any better than a draw away from home.)
* Smile patronizingly as that Irish guy (Tav) tries to engage us in conversation about the Irish league.
* Generally spoil any and every major sporting event that happens in Football. Normally with a thread title change. That's how we roll. We expect you are up with it, so don't whine when the thread title is "Where is your Cultured Portuguese Winger Now?"
* Not listen when people claim the England squad has a left hand side.
* Mention Football Manager, and Football Manager Live at infrequent intervals.
* Talk about our fantasy leagues, in which people will organize soon.
* Not mention any of these following blacklisted players:
``Christiano Ronaldo
``David Beckham
``Zeljko Kalac
``John Terry
``Alloooisssiii Johhhhnnny Alloooisssiiii!
*Continue to post witty youtube clips, like
so:
Fantasy Details

Premier League Fantasy

Register at the Premier League's website. You will create your team right away.

Then, find the area where you can join a league. It will as you for a join code. The Penny-Arcade join code is 127455-31740.

We also started a mini-league for "I Know the Score," where we guess the scores of each match of each gameweek. The join code for our mini-league is FAA0D-LJQ.

And finally, chill out!

Remember: Football is one of those things where you can be right in an argument and still get beaten up.

Oh and you can talk about the MLS. We have no problems with that. Except we're are mostly Europeans and Convicts in this thread.

steam_sig.png
Lord Of The Pants on

• themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This could be a disaster but I admire your (difficult to spell or pronounce) huttzpa. Also:
    Blue is the colour, football is the game
    We're all together and winning is our aim
    So cheer us on through the sun and rain
    Cos Chelsea, Chelsea is our name.

Here at the Bridge, whether rain or fine
    We can shine all the time
    Home or away, come and see us play
    You're welcome any day

Cos Chelsea, Chelsea is our name

Come to the Shed and we'll welcome you
    Wear your blue and see us through
    Sing loud and clear until the game is done
    Sing Chelsea everyone

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
    edited July 2008
    Also where is the blonde dude?????

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Remember that time Arsenal threw away the season? Oh man, good times.

:(

projectmayhem on
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I prefered it when Newcastle did.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• GenericFanGenericFan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yay, only a week and five days till the first A-league pre season game. So Keen

Go phoenix! Hopefully better then eighth! I know we can do better than those Perth guys!

I think I may need a better supporting thing to yell, more succinct possibly.

GenericFan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    I demand moar pictures of hotties

Medopine on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2008
    thanatossansbeard.jpg

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    GenericFan wrote: »
    Yay, only a week and five days till the first A-league pre season game. So Keen

Go phoenix! Hopefully better then eighth! I know we can do better than those Perth guys!

You didn't deserve to finish last. You played with more guys than the Perth boys did. :P

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • GenericFanGenericFan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Last years A-League was really close wasn't it? Both at the top and bottom.

Anyone keen to start making some guesses on who will win some of the leagues this year?

I'm thinking that maybe Queensland will do quite well, although I obviously hope Phoenix win, a second season victory may be pushing it.

As for the premier league, I hope hope hope hope that the portuguese winger plays horribly below expectations and everyones like man, why didn't they take Real Madrids Robinho, Ramos etc deal. And then maybe Arsenal will win... I hope liverpool does, but I think we're going to be over reliant on our Gerrard/Torres combination, one injury and we're fucked.

GenericFan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    I think Liverpool needs to stop handing Man Utd 6 points if they want to have a chance of winning it.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

edited July 2008
    evilbob wrote: »
    I think Liverpool needs to stop handing Man Utd 6 points if they want to have a chance of winning it.

For starters.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

edited July 2008
    I'm ruling out Glory. Phoenix, Adelaide are unlikely imho. Melbourne can, but will they. Sydney can, but if they do it will be through boring football. Newcastle could with solid recruiting, Mariners could, they were pretty hot pre-Aloisi.

Did I miss anyone?

I'd tip Arsenal for the Premiership. I'd like a sexy futbol Chelsea to win though.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    Evilbob, i'm asuming the Coast Sydney game is in there... :)

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    How long is it since Liverpool scored against united? I'm pretty sure it's a few hours at least.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

edited July 2008
    Evilbob, i'm asuming the Coast Sydney game is in there... :)
    Don't think it is actually. I chose those rounds for something that happens in all of them. See if you can figure out what it is.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I strongly disagree with that mission statement, but shall abide by it... for now.

Everyone heard about Hleb's whining the other day? About how Wenger doesn't play him in the exact position he wants, and how Fabregas actually shoots sometimes rather than passing it around forever in front of goal and wah wah wah I want to go to Serie A where I won't get tackled!

In other news, what the hell Harry Kewell? Was Galatasary really the best offer you got? Enjoy being stoned to death next time you miss an open goal.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    wah wah wah I want to go to Serie A where I won't get tackled!

You're either new to football or you misspelled La Liga with Seria A.

zeeny on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am offended by the blatant Liverpool bias being shown in the OP by showing that Spanish bloke. I say that we avoid all confrontation between any of the followers of the top clubs (Well, ya know, Liverpool aren't really a "top" club) and have the OP include a picture of the biggest bamf in the league, Daryl Murphy!

EMP-4899007.jpg

Irish players ftw

Tav on
    edited July 2008
    zeeny wrote: »

Didn't he have AC Milan in mind at the end of last season? Forgive me if I don't keep up with every whim of that whiny, overated prick.
    He shouldnt have bad-mouthed my Fabregas, that was his biggest mistake.

Sunday_Assassin on
    edited July 2008
    I think he was disagreeing with your assertion that he wouldn't get tackled in Serie A, not where Hleb wanted to go. Seriously, if you don't want to be tackled hard, Serie A is the last place you'd want to go.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

edited July 2008

Didn't he have AC Milan in mind at the end of last season? Forgive me if I don't keep up with every whim of that whiny, overated prick.
    He shouldnt have bad-mouthed my Fabregas, that was his biggest mistake.

Yeah, what evilbob said.
    Also, I thought that you may have made a genuine mistake as Hleb did name Barca as his preferred move.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3792213,00.html

zeeny on
    edited July 2008
    Hmm, guess he has changed his mind. I guess after seeing Flamini go to Milan he decided they weren't hip enough for him any more.

Serie A seriously has hard tackling? Really? The league where everyone walks for the first 75 minutes of every game? I admit I don't watch much of it (because Five's coverage is shockingly bad. Hot Italian girl who can't speak english? Check! John Barnes on commentary? Check! Chappers from Radio One? Check! Just fucking awful), but I've never seen anything resembling the kind of intensity of tackling we see in the Premiership.

Italians are good defenders because they're disciplined, intelligent and athletic. They aren't the british hard-man types who will kick you to shit for having the nerve to go past them.

Sunday_Assassin on
    edited July 2008
    I humbly disagree. I find the Seria A football at least as fast and probably more physically demanding than the EPL. The concentration of offensive talent right now certainly makes English football more attractive, but hard tackling is exactly part of the charm of the Seria.
    That discussion reminded me of the Taribo West tackle vs Kanchelskis from ages ago, but unfortunately I can't find a clip of it on the internet;o(((

Edit:
    Italians are good defenders because they're disciplined, intelligent and athletic. They aren't the british hard-man types who will kick you to shit for having the nerve to go past them.

Also, I don't know where that comes from, but my guess is taht's something that only you British believe. Spaniards & British have a soft defenders reputation pretty much all around Europe.

zeeny on
    edited July 2008
    taribo_west.jpg
    taribo_west.jpg

Tav on
    edited July 2008
    Now that's just mean....why...why would you do that?;o)
    Dude, also had that scary look when he was about to tackle somebody......those were the days....OF MADNESS.

zeeny on
    edited July 2008

Also, I don't know where that comes from, but my guess is taht's something that only you British believe. Spaniards & British have a soft defenders reputation pretty much all around Europe.

Like I said, I don't watch Serie A often, but I've never seen anything to contradict the popular (british) opinion of it being a far more tentative, patient, cultured game than we have over here. More quality, less fucking about.

But the fucking about's the entertaining part.

What exactly do you mean by soft? If you mean shit, then I agree. British (and Spanish) defenders are well worth their reputations as a largely incompetent bunch. Doesn't mean they're not going to dive in and close down and hack Mikel Arteta's legs from under him once every 15.4 seconds.

Continental football is more of a chess match, particularly in Serie A. The intensity of the english game is what frightens off a lot of players.

(Yes, there are some Italian defenders with epic mean streaks to them. But they're usually cast as pantomime villains in the strange intertextual meta-narrative of Alessandro Del Piero's life)

Sunday_Assassin on
    edited July 2008
    edited July 2008
    Yes, there are some Italian defenders with epic mean streaks to them... pantomime villains.

Sunday_Assassin on
    edited July 2008
    What exactly do you mean by soft? If you mean shit, then I agree. British (and Spanish) defenders are well worth their reputations as a largely incompetent bunch.

I meant soft as in "Most likely to admire skill instead of making the guy sorry he even tried to pull that shit on them". I wouldn't go as far as saying they are incompetent(well, some Spanish ones are.....), as both countries & leagues have superb players on every position. However, if you want HARD tackles & defending, you go to Italy.
    Last thing I could bring to the table:
    EPL 07/08 - Total Yellow cards: 1201 Red Cards: 61(38)
    Calcio 07/08 - Total Yellow cards: 1721 Red Cards: 116(76)
    I really, really, really don't think that such a difference can be made up from referee strictness.

I have nothing more to add to the argument, but saying you should give the Seria A another chance. I have a shitload of English friends and every time I try to get them to watch a Calcio match with me the answer is "Zzzzzzzzzz....". There was a very low scoring, tactical period in the Calacio at the start of the 2000's, but now it has moved on,(scoring is about .10 per match less than the EPL on the season) and the pace is definitely there.

zeeny on
    edited July 2008
    I really, really, really don't think that such a difference can be made up from referee strictness.

Really? There is world of difference between refereeing in the Premiership and Champions league, for example, with a whole host of things being different as far as allowed-not allowed goes (to the extent that it's all Mark Lawrenson can usually talk about in commentary).

Now I don't know where Serie A currently stands on that scale, but it's certainly possible.

There's far more protection for players by referees in some environments. just look at the Euros. Every single bloody corner had to be held up for the referee to tell the players to stop touching each other. In the Premiership that doesn't happen unless somebody's throwing down (or gone down, like that pussy John T- oh wait I'm not allowed to talk about him).

That probably should have been my original point re: fuck you Hleb. The precious snowflake wants protection from the Paul Scholes, Jon Obi Mikels and Joey Bartons of the world. Figures he'll get it in italy (or, if I'm keeping up with the news, Spain)

Actual physical levels may well be the same.

Sunday_Assassin on
    edited July 2008
    Matterazi being tentative, patient and cultured.

:lol:

Tav on
    edited July 2008
    Yes, well spotted, the cards number could be based on internal league directives to referees.

zeeny on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wasn't there some bloke who described defending in the Premiership as flinging your body in front of the ball to block the shot? I thought that was amusing. FOR KING AND COUNTRY.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited July 2008
    It's pretty much true. We tend to just stick the biggest blokes at the back because there's more chance they'll get in the way.

Sunday_Assassin on
    edited July 2008
    Yes, there are some Italian defenders with epic mean streaks to them... pantomime villains.
    That's not really how they're characterised at all, except for by people like you who don't watch Serie A. The Matterazis and Gattusos aren't that uncommon.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The few matches of Serie A I've had a chance to watch I've liked, but unfortunately US programming is terrible for anything not MLS, EPL, or US Men's. I'd have to break down and order GolTV to see much more.

thanimations on
    edited July 2008
    That's not really how they're characterised at all, except for by people like you who don't watch Serie A. The Matterazis and Gattusos aren't that uncommon.

Hey, I'm not really going to argue with you (just bored and haven't got anything better to do than wax philosophical about footy nonsense), but I'm going to suggest you're wrong.

The hard-tackling no nonsense bastards in Serie A are like pantomime villains. They're just as strong and vicious as anyone, but because you're allowed to do a lot less on the continent, they're always on the wrong end of yellow and red cards.

Uh oh, it's Materazzi, what's he going to do this time! etc. etc.

Over here everyone tackles hard and gets stuck in (except the few precious flowers every team has), and far less is punished. The only players we have on the same level of infamy are the guys who genuinely can't tackle, like the aforementioned Scholes and Mikel, who will almost always get i trouble when they go to ground, and guys who have been/are in jail who are just violent bastards all round.

Sunday_Assassin on
    edited July 2008
    This whole argument is just going back & forth. I don't see a criteria by which we could convince each other.
    I can't agree with your view of Italian defenders as it's opinion based, not factual. We should have some match threads during the season and see if we can agree then.
    zeeny: what is your opinion?
    zeeny: (I mean as in harder tackles, more physical etc.)
    Rich: hmmmm
    zeeny: also, why the fuck does the Calcio have such a bad rep over there?
    zeeny: in your silly island nation.
    Rich: I think english players are more phyical in a challenge, but I think the italians are dirtier

...meh, you islanders are all the same....

zeeny on
    edited July 2008
    I've actually changed my stance at least once already so far.

Like most football fans, I feel the most important thing is to be putting forth an opinion. It doesn't have to be right, or make sense, or maintain any sort of consistency.

Like english refereeing.

Sunday_Assassin on