As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jake's art dump (updated 24.02.09) Alice in wonderland

Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Artist's Corner
I figure that as I spend so long in this forum anyway, i might as well show some stuff besides photography.

laura.jpg

lauracard.jpg

inside.jpg

Jake! on

• Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    omg the paper robot shrine thing is adorable!
    the little pumas!!!

beavotron on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That puppet/doll thingy you made is so funny. I like the little Puma shoes. Have you made more of those? I'd like to see them :)

BTW the top image looks badass too. Maybe curve the shape of the hair a little more. Tried colouring the image?

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I'll find some pictures when I get home. I usually make them as gifts (the little robot was for my girlfriend's birthday for instance), and I forget to take photo's of most of them, but there's definitely some I can show you.

With the hair I think you're totally right, it's the bit I'm least happy with. I've not coloured it because I'm crap at that, but if you (or anyone) wants to, I'll upload a larger version.

edit: thanks for the crits/praise btw!

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    the models I make I'm really crap at recording, mostly because I figure 'well, I've got the nets, I could always remake it'.

birds.jpg

These were test models for a limited edition pop-up book. They have elastic bands inside that make them pop up, and fold down completely flat. They went inside presentation boxes, with poems attached on long paper tails.

deer.jpg

another birthday card, this one crapped maltesers (you could put more in by pulling the face out).

lamp.jpg

A lampshade. I attached the small guys with fishing wire in the end, made it look a hell of a lot better.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    oh. my. fucking. god
    you are fantastic

beavotron on
  • Options
    KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    oh. my. fucking. god
    you are fantastic

Such sweet stuff.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Your stuff is awesome! I lovelovelove hand-made, pop-ups and cardboard stuff, and that robot is +1 sweet!

I drew something with 'hair' very similar to your first illo... not my usual style and waaaaaay too time consuming. Great stuff.

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Cheers guys, especially Beavotron and Grenn because I especially admire your stuff.

Grenn: Funny, because I was looking at some of the stuff on your site the other day thinking, that must take ages... It doesn't take me too long to do one now, although it's a bit laborious. I just do a pencil sketch to plan out the major paths, then work down across the image in stages. After that, I just neaten it up in photoshop... I guess it does take a while but it's very therapeutic!

Below's a t-shirt I did for some guys I cycled across the states with (line art and the tidy finished version). I rushed it at the end unfortunately, I think the longitude and latitude lines obscure the route line, but you get the jist.

Picture4.png

Picture3.png

Jake! on
  • Options
    super...super... __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    sweet another papercrafter!

great stuff dude

looking forward to seeing more!

super... on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    these are ridiculously wonderful

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Holy shits. I will pay you eleventy billion dollars for the lampshade.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Jake! wrote: »
    Grenn: Funny, because I was looking at some of the stuff on your site the other day thinking, that must take ages... It doesn't take me too long to do one now, although it's a bit laborious. I just do a pencil sketch to plan out the major paths, then work down across the image in stages. After that, I just neaten it up in photoshop... I guess it does take a while but it's very therapeutic!

haha -- some of my work takes minutes! I like taking tiny illos from my sketchbook and vectoring them to see how they turn out. :P

For the lengthier stuff, I probably don't notice how long it takes... I agree it's very therapeutic, at least for me working with brush and ink.

So for your cardboard stuff, do you work out the nets/colours etc. in photoshop/illustrator and then just print onto card? I have to give that a go sometime...

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Cheers Tam, I could always, you know, just post the net up. It's on my old computer (currently with parents) but next time I'm there I'll send it your way. You need an a3 printer, that's the only thing.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    yourmum.jpg

So I'm working on a net for a project, and here are the current results. I almost like it more flat to be honest.

Jake! on
  • Options
    sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    oh man those little paper things are awesome! i love the robot

sharky t on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    please post more, you have piqued an interest in this "papercraft" business in me.
    others have tried but failed
    so bravo, good sir!

beavotron on
  • Options
    AtreyuAtreyu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I figure that as I spend so long in this forum anyway, i might as well show some stuff besides photography.

laura.jpg

lauracard.jpg

inside.jpg
    Sweet kicks haha nice pumas thats rockin!

Atreyu on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Cheers Tam, I could always, you know, just post the net up. It's on my old computer (currently with parents) but next time I'm there I'll send it your way. You need an a3 printer, that's the only thing.

YES

Oh man, I can't wait.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    wreath.jpg

So it looks like my last thread died, oh well.

Jake! on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    The last thread was still there, you just have to search for it by setting the thread view for something larger than the past 2 weeks.

And because I love the stuff in this thread so much, I wanted to make sure we could always see it when looking at your latest stuff!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Cheers, my bad.

Jake! on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Nah, don't sweat it. There isn't anywhere the explicitly states how to find old threads. Hell, for the longest time I thought we still pruned them!

So what is this crazy x-mas picture all about? It reminds me of cabbage patch kids, but strikes me as something that would be awesome to send to your mother!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yes, moar Jake please!

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It's the second one. Went walking a few weeks ago, and ended up messing around with my fisheye on the train home. Here's the matching one. I'm just going to use them as christmas cards.

laurax.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    natratnatrat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ahaa! I know I'd be giving a christmas card like THAT the best spot on my mantle. Your paperworks are awesome.

natrat on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Haha. Five fingers.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I thought I'd add these to my dump. I've been posting them as I go in the photo thread. The idea is that each person poses with their favourite/least favourite objects and clothing. Doing two more today hopefully.

katherinedouble.jpg
    lauradouble.jpg
    issidouble.jpg
    bethdouble.jpg
    saradouble.jpg
    amydouble.jpg
    chrisdouble.jpg
    amandadouble.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hmm, not always clear which object/clothing combo is the persons favourite. Could you consider decorating the environment to reflect the persons attitude too? For instance, night-time in one photo, day in another? Posters reflecting positive/negative stuff? Or changing curtain colours to symbolise like/dislike? Red/Green? Sort of obvious, I guess, but could help.

The one with the girl in the massive paisley explosions infront of the pink/purple patterned curtain is hellish to look at :P it's also unclear what she likes or doesn't like -- in that I can't see the objects nor does her body language convey anything I can decipher.

Bin girl, alcoholic man, and bicycle girl are great though. Not sure what's going on with bin girl though; she doesn't like being inside bins?

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    WastingPenguinsWastingPenguins Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah seriously, at least tell them to frown in the 'bad' picture or something. I spent way too much time trying to figure out which stuff some of those people like and which they don't.

WastingPenguins on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    some of the girl's least favorite vs. favorite clothes baffle me

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    In honesty, I didn't want to make anyone pose looking sad or dejected, but instead let the personalities show. When they're displayed they'll be mounted on opposite walls.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well that will work I guess, but it sucks that you need the gallery space to inform the viewer as to what the photograph means when it should probably be able to speak for itself.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well, I see it as a piece of photo journalism; where the photo's are there to give visual impact to the stories behind the choices, rather than theatrical shots where someone cries over a pencil. The stories are the really interesting part anyway. Some are obvious; disliking ironing boards for instance, or liking a mobile phone. But why would someone's least favourite object be a wheelie bin, or a blue biro?

Jake! on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You heartless bastard, you're totally discounting the poor suffering children diagnosed with Blue Birostisis and Wheelie Binola.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think you'll find that I make a more than ample attempt to highlight their plight in the next in the series, as you can see in this half arsed photoshop.

badges.jpg

jessdouble.jpg
    dannidouble.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well, I see it as a piece of photo journalism; where the photo's are there to give visual impact to the stories behind the choices, rather than theatrical shots where someone cries over a pencil. The stories are the really interesting part anyway. Some are obvious; disliking ironing boards for instance, or liking a mobile phone. But why would someone's least favourite object be a wheelie bin, or a blue biro?

Well so long as the gallery and the blurb explains that the girl hates the thing she is hugging and smiling about I guess they're great! :P

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I understand that this is partly my fault for not posting the full details of the project with the pictures, but that said there's really no need to be a dick.

Let me explain;

Favourite object; that's usually easy but it tells you a lot about a person's personality; they're musical, into exercise, they're sociable or whatever.

Least Favourite object: If someone owns something, but they don't like it, then they must own it for a very particular reason.

For instance, Amanda (the girl sitting/jumping); she's a hairdresser, and had a difficult time picking her hair scissors, not because there's something else she likes less, just because it's also one of her favourite things. Danni (the last set) doesn't like her blue pen because she likes to write in black. It doesn't have a lid, so she sometimes mistakes it for a black one, and doesn't want to throw it away because it's still useful. So it's her least favourite possession.

Doesn't say much about her, it isn't something worth hating, but it does tell a little story, one which couldn't be told with a photograph.

So yeah, I could have each of the 'hate' ones with the person crying in the corner and leave out the stories altogether, but don't you think that's a bit blunt and a bit simple?

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hmm. You presented the photos with a pretty limited explanation, and then acted like my criticism was invalid because I didn't read your mind. A mild ribbing is more than appropriate 8-)

But hey, with more context your photos are much more reasonable, since they're just illustrating the contents of a story. I don't think I ever suggested all the 'hate' photos should have people crying in the corner, rather that the props/costume/lighting/set/body language be used more creatively to convey a sense of negativity. Night/Day, Contrasting curtain patterns, different wall colours, different make-up...

Basically it was just a suggestion to amplify the art direction in the photos a little bit.

I'm starting to think that it's too late for criticism though?

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I've not posted once to claim your criticism is invalid, each time you posted I did the same with further exlaination, until you responded with sarcasm.

I'm also happy to receive criticism. For instance, I agree with out completely that the background on the patterned shot is too busy; I realise that was a mistake particularly with the clothing itself being so busy.

On the flip-side, I think the poses are fine (facing away from the object she dislikes, holding it with her fingertips arm away from the body; bringing the one she likes close to her, leaning in towards it). Indeed, the only two anyone that I've shown has mixed up are the last two sets posted. I also think that your ideas to add positive/negative posters and that kind of thing are cartoonish and silly.

The fact that I disagree with some of what you've said doesn't mean I won't take any of it on board or bear it in mind.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think they're great and like the fact some of them aren't obvious. It prompts thought and discussion over which photo is fave/least fave and instigates some engagement with the viewer.

I think asking people to pose with various objects and not prompting them in any way can actually make for more interesting shots, as the chosen pose of the subject counts for a lot. (Although, obviously I don't know how many shots you took to get natural looking results :P)

The concept is sound; asking the subjects to 'try and make it obvious' is superfluous and you lose out on the interaction between the subject and the object.

Aren't there already enough 'hold-the-audiences-hand' hollywood movies to insult people's intelligence, without applying this to photography as well!? :winky:

Grenn on