As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[AoC] Age of Conan: Now F2P and stuff

• Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2008
    Figgy wrote: »
    AOC brought Christ into my life. Thanks AOC!

so sigging this

or something

Unknown User on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    offtopic: I love that douglas adamns quote in your sig darkewolfe.

Lly on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lly wrote: »
    offtopic: I love that douglas adamns quote in your sig darkewolfe.

Thanks! Yeah, I try to remember where my towel is at always.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I understand a lot of you are upset with the state of AoC's high end game but try not to make negative posts void of any substance. Complaining about X or Y and talking about improvements for them is fine but just jumping on to say, "AoC is great because it makes me spend time with my family since I can't play it" isn't helping anyone or being constructive in the least.

Accualt on
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm upset with the state of the game past lvl 20. It's not worth the perseverance to make it to the "high end game".

JWFokker on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    JWFokker wrote: »
    I'm upset with the state of the game past lvl 20. It's not worth the perseverance to make it to the "high end game".

To improve this, they should add end game content and more pvp rewards.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    I happen to disagree that you need to be BETTER THAN WORLD OF WARCRAFT.

You need to be better than WoW if you are trying to steal WoW's market: The raiders, the hardcore faction engineers and the content pushers.

For Age of Conan, they need to do PvP better than WoW, better than DAoC, better than Guild Wars etc. That is what their game is sold around and they need to attract those types of players. If they don't bring over the hardcore PvE types it's not a big deal because that isn't their market. However, if they fail to sway and entertain the PvP/Siege/Politics crowd they will most certainly fail.

I make the same argument for WAR. While the two games (WAR/WoW) have very similar concepts, at their core they appeal to a different set of players. If you cannot hold onto your core, your game is a failure.

Well the most common argument I am presented with is that AoC is more pvp oriented while WoW is more PVE oriented. Currently, a large number of player abilities are nonfunctional or bugged rendering many pvp engagements meaningless. In addition the battlegrounds never work and there is no pvp rewards system.

WoW has working battlegrounds, arena, and damn fine rewards. I've grinded WoW's pvp system to the nub so I cannot stand it and would not play it unless forced, but in no measure is Age of Conan's pvp experience better (except perhaps the glimmers of awesomeness you get in a 1on1 open world fight that goes back and forth for a while before one of you eventually outmaneuvers the other and wins)

override367 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yeah so far my experience with the pvp in the game has been lacklustre. I actually enjoy the pve content so far, although i wish it didn't have quite so much leg work involved. But you are right that they need to get the pvp working better as it is supposed to be the main selling point of the game. Obviously i haven't got to endgame yet but as far as i can tell endgame pvp isn't really working anyway.

Lly on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't think you get the right to call your game a PvP MMO unless you include an option to level up through PvP.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Or at least actually have rewards for pvping.

Lly on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Also, the entire combo system is obviously made for PvE, there's no way they designed it actually thinking about how it would work in PvP first and foremost.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I know a game that lets you level through PvP :P

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    Also, the entire combo system is obviously made for PvE, there's no way they designed it actually thinking about how it would work in PvP first and foremost.

Yeah does anyone actually bother changing their shields in every fight? I doubt it.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    In a PvP fight...? Um, yes. Ever go up against a Reaver (DW) Barb? All shields up, their Cyclone of Steel is nearly worthless (their only viable combo). Same thing with Rangers, their Salvo hits top. Dark Templar? Well, if you fear any damage from them (haha), put em all to the left. Shields are only used in PvP, in PvE, they are basically worthless so far as I have been able to gather. Perhaps certain bosses only do moves to one direction or another, but for the most part, it's random.

Galielmus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Oooooh, I'll remember that.

No. No I won't. :(

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Shields seem to only cripple melee further

See, I played a DW barb and smart people who put 3 shields on top nullified me.

It was not fun.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Shield tip... bind the secondary command for shields to your numberpad. Like, left shield is 1, mid is 2, right is 3 and even distribute is 5. That way you can quickly double-tap the key to throw your shields around.

And yeah, the entire system gimps melee. Combos only doing damage on the last hit, and after a "cast time." Having to be still to launch that final attack on the combo. Having to press 2-4 keys prior to launching your actual attack. An interruption on mid-combo "refunds" damage already dealt by the combo, this is easily done by a quick stun or knockback move. And whoever figured out the math for stamina during the design phase was on drugs. Let's have a percentile decrease on stamina while sprinting, and a fixed rate for it regenerating. That way casters and melee run out of stamina at the time when sprinting, but casters regenerate it faster. Must be all the studying... oh, and yes, casters don't use stamina for anything but running whereas melee must rely on it for combos.

And the main problem with all of this being, of course, that casters have to deal with none of it (though do have a few of their own inherent problems). At least today's patch that's happening tomorrow is supposed to fix the memory leaks and add some server stability, so perhaps the game mechanics issues can start getting looked at.

Galielmus on
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i gotta say, these AoC threads have been the most depressing game threads i've read on here ever. i understand a lot of people probably had super high hopes for this game being the best mmo ever, so theres some disappointment, but for people considering giving the game a try its poison. i read a lot of the other thread last week before i picked up the game and i really wasn't sure i wanted to get it afterward. but a bunch of my friends were playing, so i still went ahead and gave it a shot.

i'm playing on a pvp server and yes it sucked at first when i would get killed spawning into a zone. but then i learned to hide, learned to wait before respawning, basically learned how you have to be careful on a PVP server. and yeah, if it was really hindering, i switched instances. i know not everyone has the patience for that shit, but thats why there is pve servers i guess.

ganking aside, i found the game surprisingly fun. i took some time to tweak my settings so it ran smooth and still looked great. there is an overload of quests early on, and i managed to level my guy up to 41 pretty damn quick. and to break up the time doing all the quests, i'd group with my buddies and run around helping them complete quests while killing anyone that we came across. add this all up and its the making of a good time for sure. maybe everyone bitching and moaning is coming from WoW endgame and wanting the same experience - but thats most likely not the right mentality.

i guess i'm posting this because after reading the thread it made me think that i didn't like the game, but after playing the actual game i knew i did. so go play something else (while not bitching about not playing it here) and let people make their own minds up?

krylon666 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    This wouldn't be a discussion thread if all of the people on one side of the fence weren't allowed to post anymore.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    By the way, does anyone have the patch notes for tomorrow that everyone is bitching about? blocked here at work.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    And do remember, these are from the testlive server, so not necessarily what's going to be tomorrow, but most likely.
    *These notes to not necessarily reflect the final version that will be deployed on Live*

Preliminary Update Notes – 10th of July

CLASSES

Mage (General)
    * Dark Meditation is now a self-only channeled spell and will no longer stun the user.
    * Dark Meditation now has new effects associated with it.

Rogue (General)
    * Mountaineer will now reduce duration of the effects of Bruised Body by 50%/100% and Broken Bones by 25%/50% per respective rank.

Soldiers (General)
    *Surging Health will now increase in power with more feat points invested.

Assassin
    * Golden Lotus Extract now has a new particle effect.

Barbarian
    * Clickable abilities - Unstable Mind, Reaver Stance, Blood Rage Stance, Haste, Dance of Death, Armageddon Falls, Impale, and Adrenaline Rush now have spell effects.
    * Fearsome Agility will now proc more consistently at all ranks, rather than reducing in rate for rank 4.
    * Fearsome Agility will now trigger off any melee hits, not just hits that land
    * The bonus granted by Fearsome Agility has been increased from 5% to 10% evade chance at max rank, and stack.

Dark Templar
    * The variance on damage dealt by unholy-based Soul Covenants has been reduced to make the damage more consistent. Average damage was not modified by this change.
    * Covenant of Arms should now have the correct base damage across all levels
    * Covenant of Arms should no longer disappear from the player's spell book or fail to appear after training multiple ranks
    * Covenant of Putrescence should now have the correct base damage across all levels
    * Covenant of Putrescence now deals unholy damage instead of poison damage Unholy-based
    * Soul Covenants now gain a significant percentage of the Dark Templar's unholy or magical damage.
    * Malacodor's Blight, Sadistic Soul, Blighted Touch, Blighted Soul, Touch of Death, and Curse of Gwahlur now gain a minor amount of the Dark Templar's unholy or magical damage
    * Talisman Mastery now applies a visible buff next to the Dark Templar's stance in the debuff window when active
    * Talisman Mastery has been improved to additionally grant a moderate amount of +unholy magical damage when active
    * Talisman Mastery has been modified to be a percentage increase of the modified damage of a Soul Covenant instead of the base damage
    * Pact of Malacodor will now cost 1% of health every 2 seconds over the duration of the effect. This reduces the health cost to 15% over 30 seconds instead of 25%.
    * Reaper of Malacodor will now cost 2% of health every 2 seconds over the duration of the effect. This reduces the health cost to 30% over 30 seconds instead of 50%.
    * Fixed an issue which caused Reaper of Malacodor to not always proc on secondary targets.

Herald of Xotli
    * Desecrating Essence should now scale more consistently across all levels. Additionally, the variance between minimum and maximum damage has been decreased to be more consistent.
    * Burn to Death now receives a substantial portion of the Herald's bonus magical damage on its damage over time effect.
    * Burn to Death now applies a separate debuff for all Herald of Xotli players.
    * Spreading Flames will now always tick 5 times, instead of occasionally only ticking 4 times.
    * Inferno, Tongue of Xotli, and Phoenix Cloak's gain from bonus magical damage has been increased.
    * The area of effect damage from Inferno has been renamed to Inferno instead of Lash Field.
    * Phoenix Cloak and Burning Skull have had their base damage slightly increased.
    * The following abilities now properly scale with the Herald's bonus magical damage: -Avatar of Xotli -Bonds of Anguish -Burning Hex -Burning Skull -Burning Words (Word of Command) -Chains of Anguish -Desecrating Essence -Fiery Weapons -Flame Cleave -Hatred of the Living -Hellstep -Improved Burning Skull -Knowledge of the Underworld -Searing Curse -Searing Hatred -Spitfire

Necromancer
    * Frozen Hatred pulsing AoE is now an AoE proc with a 100% chance instead of a passive effect.
    * Frozen Hatred pets will now benefit from the Unholy Power feat.
    * Parasitic Souls will now benefit from the Unholy Power feat.
    * Flesh of the Wight now has an animation associated with it.
    * Void now has a persistent effect on the pet while the buff is running.
    * Melee pets will now do splashdamage.
    * Scythe Shield now lasts 1 hour instead of 30 minutes
    * Scythe Shield's casting time has been reduced from 3 seconds to 1.5 seconds
    * Quell the Ether's casting time has been reduced from 3 seconds to 1.5 seconds
    * The casting time of Set's Ruin, Set's Cold Hatred, and Blasphemy have been reduced from 4 seconds to 2 seconds
    * One with Death now lasts 1 hour instead of 15 minutes
    * One with Death has been changed to debuff invulnerability ratings by 50% per stack instead of health
    * The Unholy Power feat will now increase the magical damage dealt by the Undead Minion: Corruptor and Undead Minion: Necrotic Bomb
    * Siphon Unlife's damage component should now scale better relative to the heath of undead minions across all levels. This solves some issues with Siphon Unlife dealing inconsistent damage to the minion in some level ranges.
    * Siphon Unlife and Frenzy will now avoid selecting undead minions which have been recently affected by Siphon Unlife or Frenzy. This should solve issues with the same pet being targeted shortly after Siphon Unlife or Frenzy expiring, instead of targeting pets with higher health.
    * The core buffs placed on all Necromancer pets are now visible in the pet's buff GUI. This should allow Necromancers to better see the impact of their pet-oriented feats, as they are not displayed on the player.
    * Deathless Acolyte: Arcanist will now gain the correct bonus from Unnatural Dexterity ranks 2 and 3

Priest of Mitra
    *Blessing of Mitra now has an effect and animation.

Ranger
    * Using your bow/crossbow while not in combat mode will not block you from moving for the length of that animation anymore. Instead, your attack will now be aborted.
    * Linebreaker should now have a knockback effect.
    * Piercing Shot combo line should scale properly
    * Shield Bash now has an animation.
    * Epic armor is now available with a new look for each tier.

CHARACTER
    * Female characters should now properly display dodge, parry and block animations again.
    * Female characters using a weapon-combination consisting of either a One-Handed Blunt weapon or a One-Handed Edged weapon in their right hand, and a Dagger in their left hand, should no longer swing the Dagger as if it was a One-Handed Edged weapon.
    * Neither Male nor Female characters should have animation issues causing their legs to slide around without animation when fighting with a weapon combination consisting of a One-Handed Blunt weapon equipped in their right hand and a Dagger equipped in their left hand or no weapon in their right hand and a Dagger in their left hand.
    * Thrown weapons have had their range increased: Light throwing weapons now have a range of 15 meters, up from 12. Heavy throwing weapons now have a range of 18 meters, up from 16.

MASSIVE PVP
    * Border Kingdoms - Several World Design and collision tweaks here.
    * Thieves' Guild building now has an icon.
    * Siege weapons should now work properly, and will display a message if your target is out of range.
    * You should now learn the proper resurrection points in massive siege battlefields.
    * You will receive notification when you are about to be teleported out of a siege battle zone during a battle you are not involved in.
    * Players should no longer be teleported out of a Massive PvP battle if they log back in directly after they lost connection.

PVP
    * If your pet does the most damage to a target for a minigame, you will now get credited for the kill instead of the pet.

PLAYFIELDS
    * Fixed some collision issues in Kyilliki's Crypt.
    * Many collision fixes in Oasis of Zaara.

NPC / MOBS
    * Raid bosses and Group bosses will now die in a dignified way, and refuse to be fatalitied anymore.
    * NPC combo "Rupture" is now named "Breach" and will now use the appropriate icon.
    * Tiggle Knucklebone has been removed from Lacheish Plains.
    * Yakhmar will now spawn minions at a correct interval. These minions are also weaker than before.
    * The Half Giant in Conall's Valley will no longer slide around.
    * It is now possible to spawn the Dark Beast boss in Sanctum of the Burning Souls just by interacting with the Sacrificial Altar while holding a Ritual Chalice. The specific quest requirement has been removed.
    * The camera movement has been toned down when moving around on a War Mammoth at walk-speed.

TRADESKILLS
    * Larozzo should now show that he has a tradeskill quest for players.
    * The correct message should now be displayed when mining Aurichalcum.
    * Stonecutter: Players should be able to hand in Basalt and Adamant again.

QUESTS
    * Walkthrough tips for the Tortage Beach tutorial are now more visible.
    * Minor visual adjustments to the cutscene played in Mithrelle's Mansion during the Rogue Destiny quest Awakening II - "Mansion of the Wizard"
    * Eiglophian Mountains - "Cannibal Commotion": The goal marker for Attadeus now points directly to Attadeus rather than the entrance of his cave.
    * Khopshef Province - "Stygian Superstitions": Quest marker moved closer to quest objective.
    * Khopshef Province - "Troubles of Thuthmekri": Derekhar should now agro when attacked.
    * Khopshef Province - "Lusts of the Flesh": You will now get a cask of Tainted Ale to give to Tuthmekri. Players who want to finish this quest will unfortunately have to delete it from their quest journal and get it again.
    * Poitain - "Order Silks in Poitain": Completed quest now has a description.
    * Tarantia Noble District - "The Chef": This quest will now complete properly. If you picked up the recipe, you can ask Juan about it. If you've not picked up the recipe, Juan will not ask for it at all.
    * Tarantia Noble District - "The Love of a Countess": Goal markers have been modified for simplicity.
    * Tarantia Noble District - "The Love of a Countess": Player should have an easier time talking to this NPC, without her getting too upset.
    * Tarantia Noble District - "Paetus & the Nemedian Crown III": This quest now has coordinates to get to Pallantides.
    * Tarantia Noble District - "Patterns in Insanity": The Junk Seller will not give you a pattern if you already have one.
    * Tarantia Noble District - "Obtaining the Noble Arena Key" now works. Aquilus will now duel the player, and complete the quest. The goal text has been modified as well.
    * Tortage - "Tarisha's Sacrifice": Changed goalmarker for the Pirate's Gold Earring to an X instead of the small radius so it will be easier to locate now.
    * Tortage - "Tarisha's Sacrifice": Collecting a Cannibal's Tooth waypoint has been altered to cover the entire area of the Cannibals.

ITEMS
    * Long robes and dresses should appear with less graphical errors when the player is wearing one and running or attacking.
    * When an item gives invulnerability bonus for several different reasons, the bonuses will now be summed up and not shown individually in the tooltip.

GUI
    * The pet GUI now show the correct icon to the left of each pet name.
    * The control mapping GUI should no longer falsely report a key as reserved any more.
    * Members of the group is now informed if the group leader change the loot options.
    * Fixed an issue causing the cooldown timer to sometimes appear out of sync on items/spells/abilities that was displayed multiple places.
    * A list of recent messages are now stored per chat channel so that when subscribing or unsubscribing chat channels to a chat window the content in the window will be instantly updated to display the history for the new set of susbscribed channels. When enabling or disabling timestamps on chat messages the entire scrollback buffer for the affected chat window is updated to show or hide timestamps.
    * The tooltip for "Cold Nerves" now shows up as intended, in green color and with a percent sign. Other feats affecting stats with percent values should also show up correctly.
    * A new tab named "Nametags" has been introduced in the Interface options. All nametag related options were moved there.
    * The options "Show target's target" and "Show team buffs" were moved to the "HUD Options" tab.
    * The option "Show quest effects" was moved to basic interface options.
    * The dropdown "Show vicinity tag" was removed.
    * The options "Enable target highlighting" and "Enable target decals" were moved to the Targeting section of the interface options.
    * Resolved an issue which was causing players to recieve a message stating that a spell was on cooldown and be unable to cast even though the cooldown had finished in the GUI.

GENERAL
    * The client should now disconnect from the chat server after camping.
    * The chat server interface queue will now clear when the client logs in.
    * The Crouch ability should now properly indicate when it is on cooldown.
    * Made the attributes give their correct modifications (lower) so skills like fasthealing needs more than 1 point to work properly.
    * If you move while sitting down, you will automaticly abort the sit down animation
    * 'Shield of the Risen' tooltip should now show the correct time remaining
    * Castingbar will not be stuck anymore if you move right as the spell finishes.
    * Fixed several minor server memory leaks and one major leak. This should improve the server stability.
    * Solo players will now have their kill XP proportionally reduced if other players damage their mobs (this was already happening for groups).
    * Pets will now have a lower chance of breaking crowd-control effects, in most cases.
    * Option to block team invites should now work again
    * If attacked while dancing and autodraw weapon option is off, you will go to idle instead of combat.
    * Heal spells are no more generating a small amount of hate when they ticked, even when not actually healing anything.

Galielmus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Galielmus wrote: »
    And do remember, these are from the testlive server, so not necessarily what's going to be tomorrow, but most likely.

Yeah, I just have no way of checkin em out here at work.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    where are they listed?

krylon666 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Galielmus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    thank you sir

krylon666 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    My posts do have a negative tint to them, but thats only because i had quite high hopes for the game, and while i am enjoying it, it is failing to suck me in like an MMO should. There are so many things that have been done well with the game, and yet so many key elements that haven't been done as well as i had hoped. However i am still playing and enjoying it.

Lly on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    krylon666 wrote: »
    i gotta say, these AoC threads have been the most depressing game threads i've read on here ever. i understand a lot of people probably had super high hopes for this game being the best mmo ever, so theres some disappointment, but for people considering giving the game a try its poison. i read a lot of the other thread last week before i picked up the game and i really wasn't sure i wanted to get it afterward. but a bunch of my friends were playing, so i still went ahead and gave it a shot.

i'm playing on a pvp server and yes it sucked at first when i would get killed spawning into a zone. but then i learned to hide, learned to wait before respawning, basically learned how you have to be careful on a PVP server. and yeah, if it was really hindering, i switched instances. i know not everyone has the patience for that shit, but thats why there is pve servers i guess.

ganking aside, i found the game surprisingly fun. i took some time to tweak my settings so it ran smooth and still looked great. there is an overload of quests early on, and i managed to level my guy up to 41 pretty damn quick. and to break up the time doing all the quests, i'd group with my buddies and run around helping them complete quests while killing anyone that we came across. add this all up and its the making of a good time for sure. maybe everyone bitching and moaning is coming from WoW endgame and wanting the same experience - but thats most likely not the right mentality.

i guess i'm posting this because after reading the thread it made me think that i didn't like the game, but after playing the actual game i knew i did. so go play something else (while not bitching about not playing it here) and let people make their own minds up?

I was on the fence about buying the game before reading all of the threads. I knew it was going to be a buggy mess with no end game from the Fileplanet beta and other tester's experience. I still bought it because friends were playing it and I found things I actually like in the game. The problem so far, is I really don't see how I will keep playing it for months and months. I do not come from WoW endgame and I can see the issues with the current end game. No PvP rewards (that is not just WoW. DAOC had great pvp rewards too), broken battle keep siege system, fundamental combat flaws (see melee vs casters), potions that grant an insane heal bonus that out-heals healer classes, and a possible gear grind for PvP (if they continue to nerf gems/crafted gear).

I really doubt everyone that is bitching about AOC is thinking of WoW in the back of their minds. This game has problems. Don't let other people's bitching ruin your fun though. This is a discussion. People will discuss the negatives. People will discuss the positives. No one has really been trolls about it, so it is nothing to complain about.

Shens on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Are you still level 41? Thats barely out of Tortage.

Because I was excited as hell about this game, and it was spectacular at first. But the higher you get, the more problems you run into. Untill finally, you get to the point where there' s a single zone to level, and its being camped by 10 million Tempests of Set and you can't actually play.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Because I was excited as hell about this game, and it was spectacular at first. But the higher you get, the more problems you run into. Untill finally, you get to the point where there' s a single zone to level, and its being camped by 10 million Tempests of Set and you can't actually play.

Where was this? I am still leveling at a fast pace as a 72 Bear Shaman? Was this a PvP server?

Shens on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Shens wrote: »

Where was this? I am still leveling at a fast pace as a 72 Bear Shaman? Was this a PvP server?

I played on the PA PvP server yes.

Got to level 65. Once you hit 50+, you get into the buggy as hell zones that have about 4 real quests, and the rest of repeatable grinds. If you don't have a farming group, or you don't play a gank immune class like a priest, you can't play. The entire zones where camped pretty much nonstop by priest AoE farming groups.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Shens wrote: »

I played on the PA PvP server yes.

Got to level 65. Once you hit 50+, you get into the buggy as hell zones that have about 4 real quests, and the rest of repeatable grinds. If you don't have a farming group, or you don't play a gank immune class like a priest, you can't play. The entire zones where camped pretty much nonstop by priest AoE farming groups.

What I did around 65 was group with some others in my guild and kill the other groups trying to level around Aztel Fortress constantly. Eventually they all leave the instance and you have a huge (3 separate areas) camp to kill things in. That was actually the most fun I have had with the game so far. Solo.. yeah Aztel was pretty horrible. I got ganked a lot while farming mobs. It goes with the territory of a PvP server though.

Shens on
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

maybe everyone bitching and moaning is coming from WoW endgame and wanting the same experience - but thats most likely not the right mentality.

I never did the WoW endgame thing. I never really played in a guild and never did the whole instance grinding for armor sets thing. I just kept rerolling and leveling up all over again, trying new classes and professions and playing in the battlegrounds. Doing the 1-60 thing in WoW was actually fun. I haven't really had much of any fun in AoC, especially since the reward for grinding away at missions and having to run all over the place constantly is pretty lame. If they can't even get decent loot in the game so I have some tangible reward, it's not worth playing and especially not in the bug ridden state that it's currently in.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    JWFokker wrote: »

maybe everyone bitching and moaning is coming from WoW endgame and wanting the same experience - but thats most likely not the right mentality.

I never did the WoW endgame thing. I never really played in a guild and never did the whole instance grinding for armor sets thing. I just kept rerolling and leveling up all over again, trying new classes and professions and playing in the battlegrounds. Doing the 1-60 thing in WoW was actually fun. I haven't really had much of any fun in AoC, especially since the reward for grinding away at missions and having to run all over the place constantly is pretty lame. If they can't even get decent loot in the game so I have some tangible reward, it's not worth playing and especially not in the bug ridden state that it's currently in.

my WoW experience was very similar to yours then, except i never reached 60 on any of my guys - got too distracted by other games. i'm digging how nice the zones look in AoC which makes my questing experience pretty enjoyable. i'm not hung up on the loot thing, but i guess thats because i still feel like i'm really effective in both pve and pvp. but whatever, we're all different and some games will give different things to different people. so my initial post about all this probably seemed harsher than i meant. i just think there is enjoyability to be found in AoC - as long as you realize they're not providing all the late game content yet. so dont rush to 80, instead group with friends, do instances, run around kill other players, etc.

krylon666 on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    * One with Death has been changed to debuff invulnerability ratings by 50% per stack instead of health

Much better. though I could have lived with a mana hit per stack.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    StealthcStealthc Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Still playing, but i've left Stormrage and headed over to Bloodspire (the Oceanic recommended server). First impressions are that Stormrage is a very underpopulated server, I can't walk 50m on Bloodspire without running into someone.

Sure i've got to start over again but I was thinking about rolling a ToS and a Ranger anyway

Stealthc on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    My PoM is lvl 69 and I just can't seem to bring myself to keep grinding with her. I'm gonna reroll a HoX on Hyperborea RP-PVP and see how that goes. When I get tired of grinding my priest (lame) that's where I'll be until they add some more high level quests and better loot.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    HoX is fun, I rolled about every class up to 15-20 or so, HoX has stuck on me. I'm lvl 15 and growing on stormrage. I don't think this is a bad game, most of the whining I will never really care about. I play like an hour or so every few days and will probably never get to 80 or when i do get to high level, there should be some content.

Wish the PA guild on stormrage would have not died, im lonely lol.

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Remember that the blokes in the Sacrilege guild are still your friends. Mostly good people, some former Broodax Imperiate members. My priest Dahlya is in it.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    i'm also playing on bloodspire, my main is Xomm - feel free to send me a holler if you like. i'm in a guild currently, but thinking of leaving it to start my own with some friends.

krylon666 on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Undocumented patch notes:
    General
    - Invisible walls everywhere, it's now impossible to climb an average slope.
    - Impossible to cast buffs while under the loading-invulnerability effect
    - Loading times much longer than before
    - Mapping keys seems to no longer work, (Example: Can't Change W to Y)
    - Report's of decreased framerate (Also reports of increased framerate for some people)
    - You now get a prompt if you zone into a different instance than your group leader, and get the option to teleport to the correct instance
    - Show Target of Target option no longer exists
    - Cant toggle names on/off with Shift+N

GUI
    - Gems now show what items they can fit into.
    - You can now right click player names in the public chat channels (does not work in whispers, group or guild chats) and get the option Player Information to see their class, level, guild and location.
    - Login screen shows server load.
    - Cursor changes to a red open door when scrolling over zoning area's
    - Price tags in bank removed from the items already auctioned (newly auctioned items do have pricetags over them)
    - Nearby resources are now shown on map.
    - Objects in the inventory now have specular shading reflection
    - You can now see players new armor after they replace it (Instead of having to rezone)

PVE Mobs
    - Ranged mobs range seem'd to have been increased.
    - Ranger mobs now use their bow as much as they can (Making it harder for people to pull ranger mobs away from packs of mobs).
    - Melee and ranged mobs seem to hit harder, not mages
    - Some solo bosses has gained the ability Bladestorm that instantly kills players

Mage Classes
    - Mana regeneration nerfed (Some say for priest class's only)
    - Casters, cant buff with path of the risen due to it silencing you but melee can.

Solider Classes
    - Stances getting stuck

Guilds
    - Guild ranks seem to have reset (Some people only)

Resources
    - Rare resource drops increased

Quests
    - Arena quests have been reported fixed by some people
    - Aquilius bugged
    - Vila quests give approximately 7k exp on lvl 72

Items
    - Mana tap items seem to have the correct % display

Rangers
    - Immolation is broken. Reports indicate that the DoT associated with Immo, breaks the fear effect as soon as it is applied.

Dark Templars
    - Leech life no longer is leeching life
    - Dark templars seem to take more damage then pre-patch (reported two to three times more)
    - Drain life is no longer draining life

Conquerors
    - Small root added to the charge for conquerors

Barbarian
    - Reports that you can no longer use finishing blow on knocked down enemys you can only use it once they have gotten back up.

Herald of Xolti
    - HoX got a previous, slightly changed animation of Hellfire Breath skill

All Classes
    - Stamina Regeneration Decreased
    - Reports of fast recovery only doing half the regeneration it did before.

Instances
    - Can no longer kill the bosses in Catacombs using the barrels, they kill you but not the bosses
    - Villa mobs are buffed

This is all i have managed to get so far, if you have anything to add post here and ill search it up and add it! keep it clean.

- THESE ARE JUST CONJURED NOTES FROM THE EUROPEAN FORUMS THEY MIGHT NOT ACTUALLY BE ON THE LIVE PATCH -[/quote]
    Of note:

- Invisible walls everywhere, it's now impossible to climb an average slope.
    I really liked how you could actually climb certain terrain instead of having to spend 20 minutes going all the way around. I'm not talking about glitching a hill, but simply slowly walking up a 70 degree slope. No more! Wild Lands adventurers suck a dick

- Loading times much longer than before

- Some solo bosses has gained the ability Bladestorm that instantly kills players
    Huh? I have to see this

- Stamina Regeneration Decreased
    - Reports of fast recovery only doing half the regeneration it did before.
    Both of these = bullshit. Like melee classes didn't have a hard enough time conserving stamina

- Mapping keys seems to no longer work, (Example: Can't Change W to Y)

- Show Target of Target option no longer exists

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
This discussion has been closed.