As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The GAME WALL

13»

• CorsairCorsair Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That's a slick Genesis collection you got there Slash.

Edit: Also Cj your Sega collection is pretty awesome as well. Makes me sad I sold my collection when I was kid.

Corsair on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Actually those aren't photos of my stuff, but of various people who have cased their collections. Just as an example of cases/covers the Project entails.

I do, though, personally have my GBA, GB, GBC and N64 games as well as PS1 and PC games cased and covered in this manner.

I have not gotten around to my SNES and Gens games yet..

slash000 on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Did they do something for the paper box Sega CD games(like the original Night Trap and Secret of Monkey Island)? I might be interested in new packaging for those, though I'll still keep the original boxes for collectible sake.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • WntermuteWntermute Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sorry for the late reply, been working on other stuff recently. Took about 7 tries to redo my Vista partition on my iMac so it actually works and shows up under OSX. Anyway, here's my response to some of the comments that have been made. No quote marks to call anyone out, just wanted to touch on some points here..

Pack Rat - well, yes, I am. I have decided that if I have a game, I'm not going to give it up anymore. It started when I had a large 2600 collection (about 100 games or so), an Intellivision II (about 30 games), and a modded Genesis (about 5 games) that I gave to my nephew Cody when he was growing up. The 2600 was originally a present from my grandfather to myself and my 2 sisters, Kim & Kelly. Cody's dad took the systems and games to Park & Swap and sold all of them without telling Kelly or asking if it was OK. Years later, I had to make ends meet and sold about 11 games for PS2 to GameStop.. I got about 80 bucks in credit there, not cash as I was hoping. It was then that I decided I wasn't going to sell any games again. Eventually, the collection will go to my son Troy, but for now, I enjoy having whatever game I want to play on hand.
    Duplicates, maybe I'll sell those.. but give up a game completely, never.

2 Copies of..
    Far Cry? - Nope, but I do have demos of Far Cry and Far Cry Instincts Predator
    Dynasty Warriors 4? - Nope, I have Dynasty Warriors 4 and Dynasty Warriors 4 Empires. They're different games.
    Front Mission 4? - One is my copy and one is my nephew's copy he gave me to take care of.
    NBA 95? - The bulk of my Genesis/Sega CD collection stems from 2
    Anything - In fact most of the "duplicates" you see are either my nephew's or my son's copies. In the case of the Inuyasha game, Jak II, and James Bond Agent Under Fire.. one of the copies was actually damaged and one is the replacement copy.

Oblivion for PC, PS3, and 360? - Is that so hard to believe? Anyway.. I got Oblivion for PS3 first, enjoyed it for a little bit, then Troy started hogging it. I found a copy for the 360 at the local Half-Price Books store, so I figured, it was a fun game plus achievements are fun, so I got it. A couple months later, a friend of Troy's had gotten tired of the PC version and gave it to him. That's how I have it for 3 systems. But that's nothing.. I have Pac-Man for 11 systems. :P

Silent Bomber - Yes, it's a fun game. I enjoyed the demo, so I bought it. That's the case with a lot of my games.

Scooby Doo game - Yes, it was Troy's when he was growing up. I was actually offered a chance to write a walkthrough for a UK magazine (who had already published my Jak & Daxter walkthrough for 60 pounds/1000 words) after I told them I'd finished it 100%. It's a decent platformer but with some finicky controls.

No General Chaos for Genesis - um.. yes, I do have it.. it's the second black box from the left on the upper Genesis shelf.

High-Res Pics - What did you have in mind.. 1024x768 of each shelf individually?

More PC games - Given the fact that I just recently (within the last year) got a system that will play PC games (read: my iMac under Boot Camp), I'd say I'm already off to a good start. Gametap alone gives me 1000+ games under Windows. I think if I'm going to get too many more, I'll probably need a USB 5.25"/3.5" combo floppy drive because I really like some of the older stuff like X-wing.

No Saturn? - Not yet, at least. There are some interesting games for it, not to mention the "full" version of Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night.

Tell Ikea - Why would I? None of the shelves were from Ikea. Actually, both sets of shelves were from Target. (1 quad wall set and 2 discontinued DVD shelves)

Bubblegum Crisis / BGC 2040 - Yes, it's a good series. Both versions were very well done.

Sailor Moon Uncut - Actually, my Sailor Moon season 1 & 2 sets are uncut imports. So Usagi's brother becomes a misogynistic little brat and the girls actually die for a little while.

Madden 95 < NBA Jam < Madden 96 - Actually, I'm not too much into sports games. Pretty much any sports game other than Hot Shots Golf I have was probably part of a larger purchase.

CoverProject boxes - Seems to me that if I use CoverProject boxes, these games will take up MORE room that I don't have. I'm fine with cartridges out of boxes since they didn't come with much protection anyway, but anything that came with a protective easy to use case that'll hold the manuals, they're right there. That's why I don't just pull all of the discs from the cases and throw them in a binder. I've tried that with discs, it's not very easy to use.

Wntermute on
    John "Wntermute" Gall
    Curator, Obroa-Skai Reference Guide
    http://www.obroa-skai.net
    http://www.videogames411.info
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wntermute wrote: »
    Tell Ikea - Why would I? None of the shelves were from Ikea. Actually, both sets of shelves were from Target. (1 quad wall set and 2 discontinued DVD shelves)

Do you have a link? Because I think I'm going to need a set about this big... :|
    I have 3 DVD racks that hold 170 DVDs each, one with movies, one with anime, and one with PS2, Wii, 360, and PS3 games, plus series box sets. I also have another similar size rack with SNES, Genesis, and N64 titles, and another with DS, GBA, and XBox games. And I have another set of shelving with NES, Gamecube, Dreamcast, and PC games in just jewel cases, and another with random stuff like PSX, NGPC, Lynx, GBC, and such. Oh, and two smallish bookshelves of PC games with boxes. And two smallish bookshelves of strategy guides and tabletop books.

What I'm saying is, your solution there looks damn sexy.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    One thing I have always regretted is the terrible way I've taken care of my games over the years. What few remainders I have left of my younger gaming days is pretty much ruined, and even now I only have maybe 8 or so fully intact PC game boxes (3 of which is WoW, and two CS:S). Of course, I've moved 5 or so times in the past four years so that doesn't really help much.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • HallucinogenHallucinogen Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man, if you guys have Leopard, you should get:

http://www.delicious-monster.com/

Seriously.

Hallucinogen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WntermuteWntermute Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Wntermute wrote: »

Do you have a link? Because I think I'm going to need a set about this big... :|
    I have 3 DVD racks that hold 170 DVDs each, one with movies, one with anime, and one with PS2, Wii, 360, and PS3 games, plus series box sets. I also have another similar size rack with SNES, Genesis, and N64 titles, and another with DS, GBA, and XBox games. And I have another set of shelving with NES, Gamecube, Dreamcast, and PC games in just jewel cases, and another with random stuff like PSX, NGPC, Lynx, GBC, and such. Oh, and two smallish bookshelves of PC games with boxes. And two smallish bookshelves of strategy guides and tabletop books.

What I'm saying is, your solution there looks damn sexy.

Like I said, the 2 DVD shelves on top are discontinued. I was going to get another pair of them at first, but none of the Targets near me had anything close. Here's the lower part of my shelves..
    http://www.target.com/Quad-Media-Tower-Oak-Black/dp/B0001P1GJS/ref=sc_ri_4/601-1797954-3692155
    "Holds 1520 CDs, 702 DVDs or 416 VHS tapes" .. so it'll hold a little less than 200 more DVDs than your 3 racks put together.

And to think this reorganization came about from the demise of the Game Tower from my desk. ( http://www.obroa-skai.net/collection/desk2.jpg ). I'll post pics when I get the systems all put together on the new shelves. My main problem right now is the switch box I bought for HDMI and Component isn't working right.

Wntermute on
    John "Wntermute" Gall
    Curator, Obroa-Skai Reference Guide
    http://www.obroa-skai.net
    http://www.videogames411.info
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    No Saturn? - Not yet, at least. There are some interesting games for it, not to mention the "full" version of Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night.

You can get this on the PSP now, technically; via the Dracula X Chronicles. It has the Saturn version of SOTN.
    Sailor Moon Uncut - Actually, my Sailor Moon season 1 & 2 sets are uncut imports. So Usagi's brother becomes a misogynistic little brat and the girls actually die for a little while.

They're worth every penny. There's also a couple episodes included that were never dubbed(and the finale of Season 1 is an hour long as opposed to DiC's thirty minute cut).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Richiter_BelmontRichiter_Belmont Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »

You can get this on the PSP now, technically; via the Dracula X Chronicles. It has the Saturn version of SOTN.

They're worth every penny. There's also a couple episodes included that were never dubbed(and the finale of Season 1 is an hour long as opposed to DiC's thirty minute cut).

Wrong, Its an enhanced version of the Playstation version. Maria plays like she does in Rondo of Blood, Unlike the saturn version where she fights using spells, not to mention this version does not have the extra rooms.

Also the new script and new voice actors, no more "What is a man?"

i registered just to say this.. i need to go back to lurking..

Richiter_Belmont on
    edited July 2008
    I did not know that. Ah well, more bonus points for the Saturn.

Speaking of which, since no one was bound to guess, that red box import is...
    Sailor Moon Super S: Various Emotion, a fighting game

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man, if you guys have Leopard, you should get:

http://www.delicious-monster.com/

Seriously.
    Looks great, but I don't have a Mac. :-X

Wish there was something comparable for other operating systems...

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I grew up on the show, and judging by how popular those Season 1 & 2 sets were at launch(they went out of print in record time, and they were pricey), a lot of people did. It's still better than most anime released nowadays, especially Stars.

Slightly more on topic, a gravity defying depiction of my Sega CD/Saturn assortment:
    IMG_0927.jpg

I should update that, since I added Soul Hackers and Wizardry 6 & 7 to the import Saturn games(the others are Dragon Force 2, Sakura Taisen 1 & 2, Magical School Lunar!, and bonus points to whoever guesses the red one).

No snatcher?

And hey, if you're a fan of PGSM, we could have love. Gay love.

Also glad no one caught why I was referencing sailor moon.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • ThrustinJThrustinJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You could also post them on flickr in the Game Room group. I have a link in my sig.

ThrustinJ on
    edited July 2008
    Snatcher's just about the only essential Sega CD game I don't own, shy of Sonic CD, Robo Aleste(I want this so much), and the other Working Designs games.

And I'd hardly say I'm a fan of Pretty Guardian; I just had to see what it was about. :P
    (For the uninitiated, that's the decidedly insane live action show released in Japan a few years back)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • astroboyastroboy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    For some reason, I thought "game walls" would be more common amongst the forumers 'round here.

astroboy on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: PlayerOne
    My Collection
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If folks would take care of their stuff more and avoid selling used games for $1 a pop they too could have an awesome wall of doom. I still have the box for my NES Keeping older consoles in their box and storing it up on top of my game bookshelves makes it easy to pull down and hook up when I get the itch to play an older game. Then again I'm really anal and even when I was younger I'd avoid buying used games unless they included the book :P

I just can't bring myself to sell a game for what little gamestop and whatnot will give you when I could hold onto it and a year or more down the road whip it out and play it or loan it to a friend or family member.

powersurge on
  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have most of my PC game boxes flatpacked somewhere at my parents' house.

I'm not sure where they are anymore, but the important thing is that I know they still exist.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    BGC2040 > BGC

A man after my own heart. :^:

subedii on
  • Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This kinda makes me want to organize my PC game collection I bet I've got 200-300 PC games lying around.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    This kinda makes me want to organize my PC game collection I bet I've got 200-300 PC games lying around.

You should organize them all and put them on display on some kind of rack or shelf.

I think that just seeing a full wall of meticulously organized games all lined up in alphabetical order is a really cool sight.

slash000 on
  • Mike RahlMike Rahl Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I wish I had an empty wall big enough to do something like that for my games. My DVD/Game collection is spread through my house. At last count I had something like 250 cartridge games, where all the good ones that aren't doubles are in a book case in my room, an undetermined amount of PS2/Gamecube games which take up another bookcase, Xbox/360/Wii games in various shelves on my basement and my living room has 2 bookcases that hold about 250 regular sized dvds each along with 3 DVD racks of about 40 movies each.

I'm also pretty sure that if I could track down all my NES/SNES systems I might be able to construct a small fortress.

Mike Rahl on