As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Okami

BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
920500_20040701_screen008.jpg

100 Years have passed since the 8 headed demon, Orochi, was slain by a man, a sword, a wolf, and the celestial brush. On the eve of the festival to celebrate the demon's demise a familiar shadow has fallen across the land. The people have disregarded the gods. the soil and vegetation have rotted. the air hangs thick with ominous haze.

enter Amaterasu.
920500_20060510_screen012.jpg
probably one of the coolest videogame heroes ever. a god, the mother of all gods, in fiery wolf/artist form.

okami is a 3rd person adventure game for the PS2 made by clover studios (viewtiful joe, god hand) and published by capcom. at first it feels like another zelda-esque adventure game. but soon enough, its own style of gameplay emerges and redefines the genre in the form of the celestial brush.

920500_20060425_screen009.jpg

while holding R1 a scroll unwraps over the screen, the left analog stick controls the brush (which looks like amaterasu's tail), and square/triangle control the ink flow. throughout the course of the game you unlock more and more brush techniques used to bring back life and color to the world of Nippon. the brush can be used to bring dead trees back to life, create water fountains, bombs, fires, vines, and so much more. the celestial brush is not a gimmick, it is ESSENTIAL to progression and combat, its intuitive, and its just damned fun to use.

another unique aspect of okami is how you gain experience: by being a friendly god, helping out people, feeding animals, and bringing life back to the world will reward you with respect. the respect you earn can be used to upgrade your hp, how many jars of ink you can use, how much money you can carry, and how much food your astral pouch can hold. the astral pouch is essentially your extra lives. if you die in battle, the food in your astral pouch will bring you back to life.

the story is neck-deep in japanese folk lore, and at first it can be a bit bewildering. but after an hour or two, it really picks up. there is a sidekick, named issun, who tags along with "ammy" so he can learn the god's brush techniques, save hot babes, and generally just talk alot.

i had heard alot of good things about okami before i bought it, but every minute i spend playing it, it surprises me more and more with how amazing it is. im about 24 hours into it, and i honestly dont want it to end. every new area, enemy, puzzle, and technique is just so much fun and so unique that i hope this game finds its way to everyone with a ps2.

so, please, discuss. keep spoilers marked, aswell.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
BaronVonSnakPak on

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    European Release: 9th February
    Australian Release: 14th February

Just in case anyone was wondering. I'm really looking forward to it.

-SPI- on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I already knew I wanted this, and there is really no good reason for me not to. I have been done with Zelda for about a month now.

How much is it new?

earthwormadam on
  • YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Easily one of my favorite PS2 games, probably the prettiest game I've ever played. Incredible all around, only slightly spoiled by the terribly easy difficulty and somewhat lame endgame.

Wonderfully unique, and doesn't need no fancy controllers to be innovative. Along with Katamari, MGS and Ueda's games, one of the best for the PS2.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ahhh, thanks -spi-, i knew i had overlooked something.

and another piece of info: there is no voice-acting. aside from animal noises, and the weird gibberish they use for the people's voices. it can be offputting, but i find it adds to the game's charm.

edit: $40 american for a shiney new copy.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Shit.

I might have to get it used than. Money is tight now that the Wii has arrived. I guess I don't have to feel too bad for buying used, now that Clover no longer exists.

earthwormadam on
    edited January 2007
    i have a question for those that finished the game, or are further than i am:

[spoiler:f8a30cf0c1]In Sei An city, im trying to get all the cherry blossoms....blossomed, so the little tree-head dude will do his dance to bring back the possessed trees. ive looked EVERYWHERE and im still missing 1 tree. yes, i looked inside tree-head's house, but i cant find the last fuckin tree.[/spoiler:f8a30cf0c1]

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Unfortunately this was released just after Disgaea 2 and just before Twilight Princess.

...yeah.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited January 2007

[spoiler:97fece10be]In Sei An city, im trying to get all the cherry blossoms....blossomed, so the little tree-head dude will do his dance to bring back the possessed trees. ive looked EVERYWHERE and im still missing 1 tree. yes, i looked inside tree-head's house, but i cant find the last fuckin tree.[/spoiler:97fece10be]
    Off the top of my head, you're almost there.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2007
    YesNoMu wrote:

[spoiler:42cbe0a9f3]In Sei An city, im trying to get all the cherry blossoms....blossomed, so the little tree-head dude will do his dance to bring back the possessed trees. ive looked EVERYWHERE and im still missing 1 tree. yes, i looked inside tree-head's house, but i cant find the last fuckin tree.[/spoiler:42cbe0a9f3]

NO

FUCK NO

[spoiler:42cbe0a9f3]i tried that about 5 times, and every time the ink knocked him over. DAMMIT[/spoiler:42cbe0a9f3]

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    -SPI- wrote:
    European Release: 9th February
    Australian Release: 14th February

Just in case anyone was wondering. I'm really looking forward to it.
    £25 pre-order at amazon. Best Price I can find

LewieP on
    edited January 2007
    YesNoMu wrote:

[spoiler:ab3ad0e6d2]In Sei An city, im trying to get all the cherry blossoms....blossomed, so the little tree-head dude will do his dance to bring back the possessed trees. ive looked EVERYWHERE and im still missing 1 tree. yes, i looked inside tree-head's house, but i cant find the last fuckin tree.[/spoiler:ab3ad0e6d2]

NO

FUCK NO

[spoiler:ab3ad0e6d2]i tried that about 5 times, and every time the ink knocked him over. DAMMIT[/spoiler:ab3ad0e6d2]
    Glad I could help. :lol:

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It gets everybody, Baron. But you did notice and try to circle it. Brownie points.

Renzo on
    edited January 2007
    Renzo wrote:
    It gets everybody, Baron. But you did notice and try to circle it. Brownie points.

yeah, the problem was that i was trying to make the circle too specific, so it wasnt registering.

on a different note, has anyone gotten all the stray beads? ive only got 21 so far...

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    How long is the average completion time for this game? I've put in only a measely 8 hours and it feels like I've already done a lot...

ze swift class on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I love this game. Were it a Zelda, it'd be my favorite. (I haven't played Twilight Princess yet, though.)

Darlan on
    edited January 2007
    Darlan wrote:
    I love this game. Were it a Zelda, it'd be my favorite. (I haven't played Twilight Princess yet, though.)

why does it have to be a zelda to be your favorite? seems kinda silly to me. as much as i like zelda games, i find okami better in practically every way.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DralloDrallo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    38 hours for story comletion.

Drallo on
    katamarisig.jpg
    edited January 2007
    Darlan wrote:

why does it have to be a zelda to be your favorite? seems kinda silly to me. as much as i like zelda games, i find okami better in practically every way.
    What I meant to say is that it'd be my favorite of the Zelda series if it were in the Zelda series. So we're pretty much on the same wavelength.

Darlan on
  • RandomVinceRandomVince Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just preordered this game for $76 AUD incl shipping. If any other Aussies want to know where, the RRP is $79.95 and I got it from dvdcrave. No doubt other stores will have it too.

RandomVince on
    ULTIMATUM, n. In diplomacy, a last demand before resorting to concessions.
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    How long is the average completion time for this game? I've put in only a measely 8 hours and it feels like I've already done a lot...

I finished it in something like 60 hours but I was very thourough. 35-45 hours would be more around the norm, at least if I remember how the last okami thread went anyway.

Edit: Also, this is my favorite game of this generation. If it weren't so easy, it would probably be my favorite of all time.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Darlan wrote:

I dunno theres a few problems. Like Okami being ungodly easy, I mean Wind Waker was easy too but damn you can like never ever die in Okami. And occasionally I find the heavy cell shading makes it hard to see a thing or two or looks very bad in some spots. Like the giant black shadow that covers you when you jump. Theres times when it looks zomgwtfamazing and others when its kind of in the way.

I also thought it was kind of odd being so corralled in during battles when theres no problem with big areas. But minor nit picks aside its a great game that could of been so much better if it weren't so easy.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm confused why are we talking about a game that came out months ago?

My only problem with Okami is that the story line felt disconnected. Maybe thats not the right word but I felt throughout the game that you weren't connected to the world. Amaterasu really seems to have no motive to help the world. The difference between this and say Zelda is that Zelda has some sort of action that draws you.

TP early game spoiler
    [spoiler:33e8aa7850]In TP for instance the kids are kidnapped and your the only that can go rescue them[/spoiler:33e8aa7850]

I guess in Okami you could say your doing it for that one goddess, but it jsut seemed that since Amaterasu was a god and has been asleep for a long time that he's not at all connected to the world that he's trying to save.

Also as random said the game is for the most part extremely easy.

Don't get me wrong with all this. It's a great game and I suggest people buy it, but since the vast majority of people are going to praise it I feel the need to present a different opinion.

khain on
    edited January 2007
    why wouldnt we talk about a game that came out months ago? we talk about games that came out years and even decades ago.

i guess for me, i dont see it as a bad thing that okami isnt difficult. some games i play for the challenge, others for the experience, and this is definitely one of those experience games. it does seem like clover has a hard time finding a good balance though, i found viewtiful joe way too hard, and i heard god hand can be absurd.

edit: i dunno, khain. i feel extremely connected with the world every time i help someone, or feed an animal, or bring back an entire forest to life. it makes me feel like im doing something for that world, instead of fetch quests and random puzzles.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Only game that makes me feel bad for only owning Nintendo consoles. And I can't even hope for a Wii port.

Alfred J. Kwak on
    edited January 2007
    I agree that it's easy, but have you guys gone back and played Ocarina of Time and older Zeldas lately? It's even more ridiculously easy, I'd forgotten about what push overs those bosses really were. Of course, this is rather tangential and doesn't excuse Okami's ease in any way, shape, or form, but it seems worth noting.

Darlan on
    edited January 2007
    this might sound like a cop out excuse for the difficulty...but, you are a god. id be kinda putoff if i was a god and died because of a couple of monkeys wearing masks and carrying instruments.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's not so much that the difficulty detracts from the game as it is the only real nitpick I have with the game. With the exception of a couple of the demon gate gauntlets, I was never really challenged at all in the game. I'm not saying it should have been hard, like VJ or dmc3 or NG:B, but it really could have stood to be harder. Up until the last gauntlet I may have needed to use 5 healing items (though that last gate made me use all of mine).

Actually, there is one other thing that pissed me off and that is the absolutely ridiculous number of times you see repeat bosses.

[spoiler:7806d4c267]All the bosses twice, orochi 3 times, and that stupid easy ass spider 6 times. Btw, the easiest way to kill that dumb spider is to power slash all her things at once.[/spoiler:7806d4c267]

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Is it really that terrible if you go though the game with out dying/dying once or twice? This isn't Ikaruga or F-Zero GX where's you're expected to fail and try again and again and again until you become amazing.
    I mean, if the thing took 7 hours to beat and you could do it in your sleep, it's one thing. But this game has great style, pretty visuals, entertaining story, fun game play, and tries out an interesting new concept. I don't remember when people decided that games of this genre had to be incredible hard. It's like saying...well...

20040607h.jpg

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    wenchkilla wrote:
    Is it really that terrible if you go though the game with out dying/dying once or twice?

In my opinion yes it is or at the very least you should be using healing items which I never found the need to. I think the last gate made me use one. Zelda at least I have to use the fairy every now and then. I don't think you should be dying left and right but I do think there should be some sort of challenge in fights which I really didn't find. I think this is a problem in all games of this genre though, and Okami has it as well.

Darlan: I kind of agree with OoT, but some of the older Zeldas are a lot more difficult.

khain on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    YesNoMu wrote:

[spoiler:8ba252f62a]In Sei An city, im trying to get all the cherry blossoms....blossomed, so the little tree-head dude will do his dance to bring back the possessed trees. ive looked EVERYWHERE and im still missing 1 tree. yes, i looked inside tree-head's house, but i cant find the last fuckin tree.[/spoiler:8ba252f62a]

Thief

Magus` on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    damn you can like never ever die in Okami.
    Three words: Kamui Demon Gate.

Elendil on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Drallo wrote:
    38 hours for story comletion.
    50 for me. Which is odd, since I finished Zelda in about 37, where everybody was predicting 60-70 hours for completion.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ah, now this was a fantastic game. Its dungeon puzzles weren't nearly as tight and challenging as Zelda, but the game world just sucked me in and wouldn't let me go. Absolutely superb, especially the soundtrack. Track it down, you'll be glad you did.

Anyway, does anyone know how well this actually sold in the U.S.? vgcharts.org doesn't have figures for it for some reason. I have a feeling it did horribly... there was no advertising support and the subject matter will likely frighten the Maddenites.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Arkady wrote:
    It's not so much that the difficulty detracts from the game as it is the only real nitpick I have with the game. With the exception of a couple of the demon gate gauntlets, I was never really challenged at all in the game. I'm not saying it should have been hard, like VJ or dmc3 or NG:B, but it really could have stood to be harder. Up until the last gauntlet I may have needed to use 5 healing items (though that last gate made me use all of mine).

Actually, there is one other thing that pissed me off and that is the absolutely ridiculous number of times you see repeat bosses.

[spoiler:8b69ef5734]All the bosses twice, orochi 3 times, and that stupid easy ass spider 6 times. Btw, the easiest way to kill that dumb spider is to power slash all her things at once.[/spoiler:8b69ef5734]
    True, but considering how fun each boss fight was, I didn't mind repeating them.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • minor threatminor threat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

it took me just over 60 hours to complete, but i went for total completion. if you just follow the main story it could be low 30s. i fell in love with it, though, and had to beat it in every way that a game can be beat.

minor threat on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fuck that one race, BTW.

Magus` on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Magus` wrote:
    Fuck that one race, BTW.
    Not nearly as bad as Le Grande Blockhead.

Elendil on
  • hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Okami is spectacular. IMO, GOTY 2006.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • quibblebarfquibblebarf Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I bought a PS2 to play this game, mostly on recommendations from this board. Also becuase I couldn't find a Wii and I was dying for a new (to me) console. Anyway.

This game is beautiful. The cell shading 95% of the time is, really, really nice. The music is wonderful at all times. The nonsense-sounds "voice acting" and the dialogue is the only real flaw in the game aestetics, and is really annoying at first. The cutsences are occasinally cheezy, but mostly worth watching. The characters are heavily stylized, but it fits well in the game world.

The game is, as others have said, really easy. I don't think that significantly detracts from it. If I want a hard game, I'll play Ninja Gaiden. Okami is very relaxing, and nice for unwinding after work, for example. My wife likes to just watch the game being played.

The main quest is not very complicated, and the quest log always keeps track of what you're supposed to be doing. Your narrator/buddy/sidekick is very hand-holdy and usually gives you pretty direct instructions on how to do things. Combat is pretty one-sided most of the time, and the bosses are all about figuring out the puzzle that lets you hurt them; again, these puzzles are generally not very hard. The final boss was the only one where I really burned through healing items, and I might not need to if I did it again.

However, despite all that, I found the game very engaging and rewarding to play. Doing the side quests and finding the hidden items adds pleny of hours to the game, if you're into that, or it can be skipped. Some of the stray bead locations are pretty crazy and difficult to get to. There are also bonus powers that can be found if you look hard enough.

The end credits are a rewarding experience, and I watched the whole sequence (mostly for the music, which is pretty excellent). There are a couple of cool bonus features that are unlocked when you beat the game.

Summary: If you are at all in tune with the Japanese aestetic, buy this game because you will like it. Don't expect challenging gameplay. Probably good for introducing young players to Zelda-style games.

quibblebarf on
  • Animal SpiritsAnimal Spirits Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Elendil wrote:
    Magus` wrote:
    Fuck that one race, BTW.
    Not nearly as bad as Le Grande Blockhead.
    My wife and I split that one up. I took the first four, she memorized the last four.
    [spoiler:d8c939e72f]Still took half an hour.[/spoiler:d8c939e72f]

Animal Spirits on
    wiisnake2jj0.jpg