As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Amazing Joy Buzzards

DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
edited July 2008 in Graphic Violence
So I ordered Amazing Joy Buzzards, volume 1 Here Come the Spiders.
The world's greatest rock 'n roll adventure band makes their original graphic novel debut With girl-magnet Biff on guitar and vocals, tough guy Stevo on bass, and four-eyed genius Gabe on drums - not to mention their mythical Mexican wrestler genie, El Campeon - the Amazing Joy Buzzards hop from one fast-paced adventure to the next, living life to the fullest! As their world tour commences, their battle with the nefarious Spider Syndicate gets into full swing with the fate of the world in the balance!

ajbcoverfg9.jpg

It is the work of Mark Smith, who posts here from time to time to talk about his new books, and Dan Hipp, who has also done Gyakushu. I think it first came out in 2005. I remember Whippy and some other guys raving about it.

There have been some questions about this volume 1, when there already was a volume 1 a few years ago.
humble wrote: »
is that a reprint of the first vol of amazing joy buzzards?

Um... kind of. I guess it is a re-do, kind of.

Mark Smith said:
Also being reprinted are The Amazing Joy Buzzards Volumes 1 & 2 in one Volume titled: HERE COME THE SPIDERS. This volume is only the continuity issues of Amazing Joy Buzzards with none of the guest material, so the story reads straight through all the way, and leads into the next volume MONSTER LOVE. This is the Joy Buzzards remastered edition which will be out in May at 300 pages. The new volume is printed in the Sin City Digest format.

Everything is in the right order and things have been changed around. Make sure you order the right one, because I guess the original volume 1 is still available, and it is easy to get confused, especially if you order trades on Amazon or some place similar.

You can preview it at Hipp's website, under the AJB tab, or here; read reviews with preview art (like this one; or just read a review. Much like Scott Pilgrim and Sharknife, the band also has a Myspace.

DouglasDanger on

• Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i'll order this as soon as my other stuff gets here

Sars_Boy on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Just got this yesterday. Gonna read it as soon as I finish the rest of my Walking Dead trades.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    it is going to be a while until my copy arrives
    my store did not receive any copies from diamond.
    :(

DouglasDanger on
  • humblehumble Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i got one at my store set aside i just need to get it when i get back from vacation

i have both vol 1 and 2 trades, but i love the AJB so much i want this as well

plus my vol 1 had some issues being printed and pages fell out, so its an excuse for me to buy it

humble on
    edited June 2008
    Just started digging into this. It's freakin awseome.

One minor complaint though.
    The very first arc had Stevo turn into a gila monster within the first few pages. I thought that it was kind of weird to start off the book with one of the central characters, who we know nothing about, turning into a giant monster.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Mark Andrew SmithMark Andrew Smith Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This one is a redo mostly because with the second volume we had single issues and we fell behind schedule and did a lot of guest stories. So with the second trade there was a lot of guest material but it wasn't the order that the book was really supposed to be read in.

Also on the first volume at shows the book would fall apart sometimes as soon as someone cracked it open, much to the embarrassment of Dan and I. The printer on the first volume did such a terrible job! So we wanted a good version in a digest like what Dan was doing with Gyakushu but also with really good binding, and something that has some endurance.

I think the comment with the Gila Monster is true and the first book is such a slow build of reveals and a bit all over the place. If I could go back there is a lot that I would have done with that first volume differently.

Part of the fun with the book is that it is all over the place and random, but for this next one there will be a lot less random as we get into the main story and we will ground it a lot more and the new volume Monsterlove will be much more cinematic like an Amazing Joy Buzzards film. It's still going to be good with a lot of cool characterization. The villains are my favorite and there's plenty of those ahead.

Mark Andrew Smith on
    edited July 2008
    hey mark, its cool that you took the time to post here and give us the heads up.

amazing joy buzzards was one of the first series i picked up when i got back into comics, and it was a nice change of pace from everything else out there. when you have the other two big companies putting out big series (at the time i think it was House of M and leading up to Infinite Crisis) it is really daunting for someone to jump into some books and try and figure out whats going on. AJB was just 100% fun to read, and i really love dan's art.

i know it sounds cliche and everything, but if it wasn't for AJB i don't know if i would have gotten back into comics, so thanks.

humble on
    edited July 2008
    I know what you're saying, for me I was out of comics for a good 8 years and then one day walked into a shop and picked up some Oni books, in particular, Voodoom #1 by Scott Morse and Jim Mahfood, after reading those I had to find everything by them and then it sort of snowballed to where I got into comics in a big way and finding out what they were all about now that I was older. Then I devoured everything by creator and discovered a bunch of really cool stuff.

Mark Andrew Smith on
    edited July 2008
    how many issues is vol 3 going to be? 4 again or is it going to be a longer run?

humble on
    edited July 2008
    i really hope this gets here in the mail today

Sars_Boy on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    are you talking about the new volume 1? Here Come the Spiders? It was my first AJB experience and man it was soooo good. I wish I could find some AJB wallpaper.

DouglasDanger on
    edited July 2008
    I'm totally looking forward to Monster Love.
    Here Come the Spiders just really came together for me at the end and I started to care for the characters.
    And I can't stress my love for Stevo.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited July 2008
    humble wrote: »
    how many issues is vol 3 going to be? 4 again or is it going to be a longer run?

Volume 3 is number 2 now and it's called Monsterlove, so it's confusing because there was already a number 2 volume. It's going to be an OGN this time out at around 200 pages.

Mark Andrew Smith on
    edited July 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I'm totally looking forward to Monster Love.
    Here Come the Spiders just really came together for me at the end and I started to care for the characters.
    And I can't stress my love for Stevo.

Yeah Stevo's one of my favorites and I don't use him enough, it was really Dan's idea to go so nuts with him and further him a lot so he wasn't such a background character. The new volume is going to be more along the lines a direct continuation of the second part of Here Come the Spiders but paced a little more where it's less compacted and condensed storytelling. So less zany like the first half of Here Come the Spiders and more cinematic like the second half of it but more moody and cool.

Mark Andrew Smith on
    edited July 2008
    Very glad to hear that.
    And will we find out how Gabe got the amulet?

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited July 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Very glad to hear that.
    And will we find out how Gabe got the amulet?

The story about how he got the amulet is in the original volume 2 called the Devil's Zappatos but it's guest material so it's not in the reprint. I should try to get all of the guest stories online and collect them pretty soon. It's a really early story about when Gabe first meets up with El Campeon in Costa Rica.

Mark Andrew Smith on
    edited July 2008
    hey, i got this yesterday

awesome stuff

I have to ask though, is there going to be any AMJ content in popgun 2?

Sars_Boy on
    edited July 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    hey, i got this yesterday

awesome stuff

I have to ask though, is there going to be any AMJ content in popgun 2?

I think we're going to try to come up with something for Popgun 3. I edit Popgun and I got in a bit of trouble for having so much stuff in the first one. Dan Hipp is doing the interior covers and those have Biff on them, but they're a few illustrations and it's not the same as a story. Popgun did get us a lot of new readers from having the Fearless Vampire Hunters short in there so it does make sense to try to get more color shorts in there.

I think just because you suggested it here I'm going to write it down and start going to work on one.

Mark Andrew Smith on