As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PHALLA] AL•PHA•LLA - Five Games of Hidden Identities

MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Critical Failures
Al-Pha-Lla.png
A MrBlarney Production

What do the GM accounts of Phalla games do once their work is done? Well, they kind of sit there, actually. But not anymore! It’s time to let the GM accounts have some fun and let them play in games for themselves!

OVERVIEW: AL•PHA•LLA is a series of specially sanctioned Mini-Phalla games featuring the GM accounts of games past. Rather than using their usual usernames, players will be allowed the use of an account used to moderate a previous Phalla game. However, the identities of the users will be hidden until the end of each game, which will make for an interesting experience…

SIGNING UP: In order to sign up for a game, rather than the usual in-game post indicating interest to play, you will send me (MrBlarney) a PM noting your credentials and your agreement to the terms below. Players will be allowed based on the following criteria:

a) Contributing a GM account for participation in the game
b) History and experience in playing Phalla games
c) Record of activity and good sportsmanship

You should indicate which of the five games you would be interested in joining. You are allowed to sign up for multiple games, though you may not be selected for all of them - leave a preference of which game you would most like to play in. If you want to, instead of play, provide narration and running help, feel free to let me know as well. I am more than happy to have assistance in running this event.

PLAYER’S AGREEMENT: Being that you will be using an alternate account created and used by another forum member, you must be responsible in using the account. That means the following:

1) You will only use the account for posting in game.
2) You will not change any major account settings, including avatars, signatures, and passwords. Invisible mode may be activated for the accounts if desired.

Misuse of the accounts provided for this game will result in punishment on your main account. Thanatos has been kind enough to allow this game to go through, so please be responsible!

HOST’S AGREEMENT: Being that I have been generously entrusted with temporary control of these alternate accounts, I pledge to not misuse the accounts and will relinquish control of them once the games have ended.

COMMON RULES: While there will be a number of different games played here, each with a different set of rules, there are some common rules that will remain the same between all of them. These are, for the most part, the rules of etiquette… No quoting of complete role PMs or using screenshots of game PMs, though paraphrasing and other indirect methods of information distribution are allowed. No anonymous contact allowed, and any communication must be traceable to a specific player or account. A corollary for these games: contact between players may ONLY be made through the alternate accounts, and no messages may be sent from or to any main player accounts. Let me know of any off-forum proboards that are created, and please do not use them to try and get around these rules. Mail addresses should remain hidden, and usernames should reflect alternate accounts, not main accounts. Reveals are still allowed, but verifications and confirmations may not be done with these communication methods. Be sensible when it comes to this rule – play by the spirit, not just the letter.

In addition, a rule about proxies from Thanatos:
Thanatos wrote: »
Hey guys, because these are alts, I'm forbidding the use of anonymizers/proxies while posting from these accounts, even if you normally use one for posting on the forums.

Sorry that I'm only now bringing it up, but I only now thought of it.

And a helpful tip from thorgot regarding setting up proboards:
thorgot wrote: »
I'm sure the games with bigger mafia or large groups will have proboards. Just remember that admins can see email addresses, so sign up with 10 minute mail or something.

GAMES OVERVIEW: An overview of the five-course meal follows - more details will be given as the individual games come up.

GAME 1: Mafia VS Werewolf

OVERVIEW: In the remote Italian city of Phalla, problems are brewing. A powerful mafia family has begun to overtly exercise its influence, seeking to control the entire city by any means – including eliminating all those who stand to get in their way. Even worse, a supernatural phenomenon has struck members of the populace, changing them into werewolves. Not limited to just nights of the full moon, the werewolf pack systematically kills the populace of the city, seeking to eventually bring it to ruins. And in the middle of it all, the citizens of the city attempt to put together their talents to weed out the anarchic elements of the city and bring back peace. Mafia or werewolf, which will be victorious?

This is a relatively straightforward Phalla pitting the uninformed majority (village) against two knowledgable minority factions (Mafia and Werewolf). The village wins if they can completely eliminate both the Mafia and Werewolf factions, while the Mafia and Werewolf factions win by eliminating the rival faction and making their numbers at least as large as the remaining village members.

GAME 2: Assassins

OVERVIEW: A team of rogues have stolen plans to the superweapon Phalla and must be stopped before they can hand them off to those who would misuse them. As rival agents, you are charged with hunting them down, but you’ve also got other plans to attend to. Among those who are trying to take down the rogues, there are agents who you are instructed to take out for yourself… and you know that there will also be others who have you in their sights as well. Take care to ensure the safety of the world while keeping your other objectives in mind.

This will be a mostly traditional Phalla game with additional mechanics that allow for individuals to gain early-win victories.

GAME 3: Elemental Conflict

OVERVIEW: Hot and cold, dry and wet, these make up the four classic elements of Fire, Earth, Water, and Wind. The four kingdoms each follow the ideals of one element, keeping each other in check. But when Chaos arises, balance will be upset. While all recognize the need to eliminate the evil elements in their midst, they all secretly know that they cannot overlook the opportunity to overthrow their rivals and take control of more for themselves.

This will be a multi-factional game related to Gods of Phalla, Set Phalla, and Zodiac Phalla. Members of the elemental factions win when they eliminate all of a rival type (hot, cold, dry, and wet), but must also eliminate the Chaotic spirits before victory can be declared. The Chaos faction wins in the traditional fashion, when their number outnumbers or equals that of the remaining playerbase.

GAME 4: All-Star Battle

OVERVIEW: The universes have collided, and characters from Phalla past have joined together in a grand battle. Anything can happen in this game…

This will be a traditional Phalla game pitting the uninformed majority against a single baddie faction. Roles will be drawn from previous games, and items and events from the past will also make appearances.

GAME 5: AL•PHA•LLA Royale

OVERVIEW: The infamous program returns with some very special guests to the island. Teams of players are charged to eliminate all their rivals with deadly force, or be killed themselves. Welcome to Phalla Royale: Celebrity Edition. Which team will come out on top? Or will a single person take all the glory for themselves?

This will be a non-Phalla based off the previous Phalla Royale games played in CF and SE++, but with some changes to the mechanics.

SPECIAL THANKS: I'd like to give special thanks to all the alt account holders that have graciously given me permission to use their accounts in this game. In alphabetical order, they are Ardor, Bliss 101, cheez, cj iwakura, DarkPrimus, DevoutlyApathetic, Drez, Grundlterror, Hylianbunny, Infidel, robothero, Saburbia, Squashua, thorgot, tuxkamen, and visiblehowl. A very special thanks goes to Thanatos for allowing me to run this game.

PLEASE READ THE RULES ON SIGNING UP! ANY PUBLIC SIGNUPS WILL BE IGNORED!

4463rwiq7r47.png
MrBlarney on

• Options
    edited July 2008
    ACCOUNTS:
    Ares of Kobol
    Artux
    Bandwagon
    Comte de Calonne
    Deep Thought
    GM Balthazar
    Haunted House
    Hoggish Greedly

Kitano
    Mantorok
    Master Hand
    Mathieu Warwick
    Maxim
    Near
    Nephilim
    PipBoy2008
    Prinny Tribunal

Rosenqueen
    Shinigami
    The Karma Society
    The Monarch
    The Referee
    Tybalt
    Ultra GM
    VisiblyApathetic

Clarifications, Game Links, and other assorted links will be contained in this post.

GAME LINKS
    Game 1: Mafia vs. Werewolves
    Game 2: Assassins
    Game 3: Elemental Conflict
    Game 4: All-Star Battle
    Game 5: AL•PHA•LLA Royale
    PLEASE READ THE RULES ON SIGNING UP! ANY PUBLIC SIGNUPS WILL BE IGNORED!

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How long do you estimate each game to last, including any breaks between games? I'm trying to figure out how my upcoming traveling fits in.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    How long do you estimate each game to last, including any breaks between games? I'm trying to figure out how my upcoming traveling fits in.

Each game should be about a week or less in length - I expect to run the first two in July, and the last three in August before PAX. Tentatively:

Game 1 - July 8-14
    Game 2 - July 15-22
    Game 3 - August 4-10
    Game 4 - August 11-17
    Game 5 - August 18-24

Though Game 2 might be moved to August and Game 5 to September, depending on how soon Game 1 is ready to run and how long each game lasts.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Interesting.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, not only will we not know which alt is which player, we won't even know who the players are for each game? Awesome.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So, not only will we not know which alt is which player, we won't even know who the players are for each game? Awesome.

Correct and correct. Only at the end of the game will the full cast and characters be known.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    True total blindness.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Awesome concept. Can't wait to see how this works out.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just a note since there was some talk about it as the concept of this game was brought up.

Anyone interested in playing who has any interest in this should absolutely sign up via PM to MrBlarney. This isn't just for the people who have played a bunch of phalla games in the past. Whether you are new or just having a small number of games you have played doesn't mean you won't get the chance to try.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Indeed. I'm not going to be very strict on credentials for playing, and I will do my best to give everyone who wants to play a shot to play in at least one game.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm bumping this thread to remind people that signups are still open for those who are still interested in playing. Don't worry too much about qualifications, I won't be requiring too much. (That said, I don't think this is really the best game to join if you're looking to try Phalla for the first time.) If you want to try out this style of game, then you really should sign up - it won't hurt, and it'll ultimately make the games much more interesting once they get started.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    JoschuaESQJoschuaESQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh blarg I would so do this If I didn't have the bar exam in early august /tears

JoschuaESQ on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Status update for today: I think I have enough people signed up for the first game, but I definitely would like more people for the later ones. Again, I encourage anyone with interest to just send me a PM to sign up for any game, including the first. I'll close signups in the morning, and hopefully I can get the game started by the evening. Thanks for your patience, sorry for the delays.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Alright folks, I'm gonna try to get things up and running within the next couple hours. Hopefully this turns out to be an interesting experiment and an interesting game to play and watch.

EDIT: Um, something came up, so we'll start a little later than expected now. It will still start tonight, though.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    ... ugh. I'm going to send out role PMs, put up a token opening post, and try to get this game back on rails.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    KitanoKitano Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hello, students.

It is a pleasure to be teaching another year at...wait, where am I?

Kitano on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    GAME 1: Mafia vs. Werewolves

In the remote Italian city of Phalla, problems are brewing. A powerful mafia family has begun to overtly exercise its influence, seeking to control the entire city by any means – including eliminating all those who stand to get in their way. Even worse, a supernatural phenomenon has struck members of the populace, changing them into werewolves. Not limited to just nights of the full moon, the werewolf pack systematically kills the populace of the city, seeking to eventually bring it to ruins. And in the middle of it all, the citizens of the city attempt to put together their talents to weed out the anarchic elements of the city and bring back peace. An emergency edict calling for one person to be imprisoned every night by popular vote has been enacted, sure to escalate the conflict and bring about a swift end. Mafia or Werewolf, which will be victorious? Or will the populace turn away the tide of evil and bring calm back to their city?

VICTORY CONDITIONS:
    The Villagers win if they eliminate all Mafia, Werewolves, and other potential threats to the city.
    The Mafia win if they eliminate all Werewolves and outnumber or equal the remaining village members.
    The Werewolves win if they eliminate all Mafia and outnumber or equal the remaining village members.

VOTING:
    Every player in the game is allowed to voice who they believe should be jailed indefinitely by making a !vote in bold red. Should a person wish to change their vote, they may do so by making another vote in red, optionally noting their !retraction in lime green. At the end of each game day, occurring at 11 AM PDT / 2 PM EDT / 6 PM UTC / 7 PM BST (oh, I hope that's correct), the player with the highest number of votes will be locked up and eliminated from the game. In addition, all actions are due at that time: Anything timestamped before the hour will count, anything on or after the hour will not.

In the case of a tie in the vote, one of the parties involved in the tie will randomly be eliminated. In no event will the vote 'trickle down': the only one at risk of elimination via vote is the player that receives the highest amount of votes.

STANDARD RULES
    As mentioned in the first post of the topic:
    No quoting of complete role PMs or using screenshots of game PMs, though paraphrasing and other indirect methods of information distribution are allowed. No anonymous contact allowed, and any communication must be traceable to a specific player or account. A corollary for these games: contact between players may ONLY be made through the alternate accounts, and no messages may be sent from or to any main player accounts. Let me know of any off-forum proboards that are created, and please do not use them to try and get around these rules. Mail addresses should remain hidden, and usernames should reflect alternate accounts, not main accounts. Reveals are still allowed, but verifications and confirmations may not be done with these communication methods. Be sensible when it comes to this rule – play by the spirit, not just the letter.

Clarification questions may be asked in bold orange or sent via PM to MrBlarney.

LIST OF LIVING PLAYERS
    Shinigami - Vigilante

LIST OF ELIMINATED PLAYERS

Bandwagon - Citizen
    Near - Detective
    The Monarch - Citizen

Comte de Calonne - Citizen
    PipBoy2008 - Citizen
    Rosenqueen - Brother

Artux - Citizen
    Haunted House - Mafia
    Mantorok - Citizen
    Prinny Tribunal - Anarchist

Ares of Kobol - Citizen
    Nephilim - Guardian
    The Referee - Seer
    Tybalt - Werewolf

Kitano - Bodyguard
    Master Hand - Citizen
    Maxim - Citizen
    VisiblyApathetic - Brother

The Karma Society - Werewolf
    Ultra GM - Mafia

The game has ended in a village victory!

Day 1 Results
    Day 2 Results
    Day 3 Results
    Day 4 Results
    Day 5 Results
    Day 6 Results

Daily Actions
    Role Explanations
    Conversion Tables

The game has begin. The first day will close on Thursday, July 10, at 11 AM PDT / 2 PM EDT / 6 PM UTC / 7 PM BST.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Comte de CalonneComte de Calonne Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Mmmm, greetings gentlemen and ladies.

Comte de Calonne on
  • Options
    KitanoKitano Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It is always best to be early!

Kitano on
  • Options
    Master HandMaster Hand Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Master Hand has arrived.

Master Hand on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Will Mister Master Hand be continuing to speak in the third person?

Comte de Calonne on
  • Options
    Master HandMaster Hand Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Master Hand is all about speaking in the third person.

Master Hand on
  • Options
    MaximMaxim Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So what's happening in here?

Maxim on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Master Hand is all about speaking in the third person.

Very well, Monsieur.

As you were.

I hear tell of a fearful band of furries who mean to do us grievous bodily harm.

Comte de Calonne on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    And, apparently the criminal element is acting up as well.

Comte de Calonne on
  • Options
    VisiblyApatheticVisiblyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Not to mention these damnable uppity canines.

VisiblyApathetic on
  • Options
    TybaltTybalt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Good day. Ladies and gentlemen, I welcome you and hope to be welcomed by you. Let us hope we can uncover those behind the lessening of our fair city.

I will commence, and it is certainly my prerogative to do so, with a !vote against Bandwagon. I assure you, as my advisor Sir Reginald N. Goodman has assured me, he is not what he seems! Or perhaps it is the early morning drinking which has convinced me of this fact. Either way, he is a scoundrel and deserves not life.

I say again, good day!

Tybalt on
  • Options
    The MonarchThe Monarch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Release the butterflies!

Who's job was it to feed the butterflies?

The Monarch on
  • Options
    BandwagonBandwagon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    'sup?

Bandwagon on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Tybalt wrote: »
    Good day. Ladies and gentlemen, I welcome you and hope to be welcomed by you. Let us hope we can uncover those behind the lessening of our fair city.

I will commence, and it is certainly my prerogative to do so, with a !vote against Bandwagon. I assure you, as my advisor Sir Reginald N. Goodman has assured me, he is not what he seems! Or perhaps it is the early morning drinking which has convinced me of this fact. Either way, he is a scoundrel and deserves not life.

I say again, good day!

That's BS and u know it.

Bandwagon on
  • Options
    The Karma SocietyThe Karma Society Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ah, it seems we have started.

I suppose I could put aside my work till we figure out what is happening in this city.

The Karma Society on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    well obviously "bandwagon" is going to be a good comedic target 'oh hey lets bandwagon bandwagon' so i certenly see why you would do that but whatver funny guy

Bandwagon on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey guys, because these are alts, I'm forbidding the use of anonymizers/proxies while posting from these accounts, even if you normally use one for posting on the forums.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    !thanatos

Bandwagon on
  • Options
    NephilimNephilim Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hello all! I refuse to bandwagon poor Bandwagon, I figure that would be all too easy for an evil person/wolf-man to get behind.

Nephilim on
  • Options
    NearNear Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    According to the information at our disposal, it would be ideal to allow the adversaries in our midst to dismember one another, unlikely though that may be.

A target will be decided upon as more data is gathered.

Near on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I too must respectfully disagree with the potential Bandwagon bandwagon. It is uncooth and predictable.

PipBoy2008's magic green and black screen frightens me, since I am a god-fearing christain of the 1800s.

Comte de Calonne on
  • Options
    TybaltTybalt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Bandwagon wrote: »
    well obviously "bandwagon" is going to be a good comedic target 'oh hey lets bandwagon bandwagon' so i certenly see why you would do that but whatver funny guy

I was not suggesting we transform into station wagons and follow you! Autobots, place votes early, even if you have the intention of changing them later. The more of us vote early in the day, the more likely it is the first day will be put to good use in rooting out the Decepticons, even if our first votes are determined using the RNG built into our mainframes.

Tybalt on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    wth

idk what u are trying to say

Bandwagon on
  • Options
    The RefereeThe Referee Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »

Thanks again for letting us do this, Thanatos. :^:

The Referee on