As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What you didn't know about the games you play

• firesidefireside Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TibrisXVII wrote:
    Davoid wrote:
    plufim wrote:
    Davoid wrote:
    apotheos wrote:
    No way Zoras could have evolved that fast in 100 years).

Hey now. Hyrule is creationism country. Next thing you'll tell me is the Kokiri evolved from monkeys.

What I never got is why the Zoras had to evolve in the first place.

"We live in the water and we're happy with that. SHIT, the whole country is flooding! Quickly, evolve wings and lungs!"

Possibly they couldn't survive in the ocean habitat like they could in a river/lake habitat.

A lot of people say that, but unless the Termian Zoras are a wildly different sepcies, Majora's Mask says otherwise. All Zoras in that game live in "The Great Bay", which is salt water.

Yea, I was going to bring that up, but figured I'd get jumped on because "Termina isn't Hyrule."

But to get back on topic, Metroid Secret Worlds are still my favourite game glitch. Metroid 2's completely extended the replayability into like, infinity for me.
    It was the Goddesses who sealed and flooded Old Hyrule so I always thought that the forced the transformation of the Zoras into the Rito in order to prevent them from prematurely breaking the seal somehow before the hero returned. As far as whether or not the Zora can survive in Salt water, I think I recall, in Twilight Princess, [spoiler:f5edc59044]mention of the "barbaric Ocean Zora" leading me to think that in, Hyrule at least, River and Ocean Zora are two different species and that the River Zora are the more civilized of the two. [/spoiler:f5edc59044]
    Wait, who says that in Twilight Princess?

fireside on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    When I would encounter something like this when I was young, it would give me such a feeling of...wrongness. Like a physical reaction of disgust. It happened alot with the old 2600, if the contacts on the cartrige were dirty or whatever and it didn't load properly, the screen would sometimes just turn into vertical stripes of solid colors. I absolutely hated that.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I thought I was the only person who owned/played/BEAT Metroid 2. You hardly ever hear anyone talk about it. Secret Worlds?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Apparently there's a glitch in Golden Sun 2 that lets you explore the continents from the first game. I had it happen once, and quickly powered down immediately because I was afraid of losing my 25 hour save file.

Perhaps it'd be worth exploring a little more, though.

Samphis on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Reynolds wrote:
    I thought I was the only person who owned/played/BEAT Metroid 2. You hardly ever hear anyone talk about it. Secret Worlds?

I played the shit out of it. I thought everyone had.

Family was prone to long road trips when I was growing up: My Gameboy was my sole refuge, and Metroid 2 was one of the few games I owned.

xzzy on
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    xzzy wrote:
    Reynolds wrote:

Family was prone to long road trips when I was growing up: My Gameboy was my sole refuge, and Metroid 2 was one of the few games I owned.

Secret worlds were when you glitched out the game and left what would normally be considered "game area". While moving vertically, hit select like, a billion times. If done right, some of the tiles in the game should fuck up, allowing you in some cases to pass through to unprogrammed areas. Most of these areas were "shadows", meaning they were ordinary areas with different tilesets, but sometimes the tilesets the game chose for them were completely insane and would let you explore new, crazy areas unhibited.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
    edited January 2007
    I was never able to get into them.. my select pounding fu was lackluster.

xzzy on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tiemler wrote:
    Has Nintendo ever suggested that all the Zelda games were a single timeline, or was this a fan-created idea?

Miyamoto has stated somewhere that they are one timeline.

[img.]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o152/Tiemler/turnazelda.jpg[/img]

Miyamoto claimed all one storyline. Nintendo of America made up the exceedingly shitty "all one Link" story on their zelda webpage, right before Wind Waker came out and blew that out of the water. Like.. literally, 3-4 months before the Japanese launch.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited January 2007
    They were delightfully surreal. There was nothing weirder than navigating an entire temple made of the "spike" tile while being chased by blocks of the game font. ...Or discovering caves made up of save stations.

Or the infamous Chozo Maze.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Athenor wrote:
    Tiemler wrote:
    Has Nintendo ever suggested that all the Zelda games were a single timeline, or was this a fan-created idea?

Miyamoto claimed all one storyline. Nintendo of America made up the exceedingly shitty "all one Link" story on their zelda webpage, right before Wind Waker came out and blew that out of the water. Like.. literally, 3-4 months before the Japanese launch.

What does any of this timeline debate have to do with glitches?

Take it to the zelda thread plzolol

Icemopper on
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Icemopper wrote:
    Athenor wrote:
    Tiemler wrote:

What does any of this timeline debate have to do with glitches?

Take it to the zelda thread plzolol

They explain that Ganon really is a pig during the point where you initiate the sword glitch.

CZroe on
    edited January 2007
    Davoid wrote:
    xzzy wrote:
    Reynolds wrote:

Secret worlds were when you glitched out the game and left what would normally be considered "game area". While moving vertically, hit select like, a billion times. If done right, some of the tiles in the game should fuck up, allowing you in some cases to pass through to unprogrammed areas. Most of these areas were "shadows", meaning they were ordinary areas with different tilesets, but sometimes the tilesets the game chose for them were completely insane and would let you explore new, crazy areas unhibited.

Sounds like the Zelda LA trick warp. I recently repurchased this game (imported from Japan) and I'll have to check all that out.

CZroe on
    edited January 2007
    CZroe wrote:
    Davoid wrote:
    xzzy wrote:
    Reynolds wrote:

Sounds like the Zelda LA trick warp. I recently repurchased this game (imported from Japan) and I'll have to check all that out.

It is alot like the LA warp trick, except completely insane. Like, at least in LA you could somewhat recognize areas afterwards. Metroid 2 is just completely crazy.

http://m2sw.zophar.net/ I contributed once or twice to this place, actually, a long time ago.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    Im not positive, but I think it was Duke Nukem 3D that had a nook way, way up on a cliff that you could only access with the flight cheat code that had a texture with big white letters that said "YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HERE"

I always loved that.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Im not positive, but I think it was Duke Nukem 3D that had a nook way, way up on a cliff that you could only access with the flight cheat code that had a texture with big white letters that said "YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HERE"

I always loved that.

gta203secretsignlm4.jpg

That's GTA3, by the way.

TheSonicRetard on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Half-Life has some nice glitches. I'll explain the test chamber trick that Spider-Waffle came up with because I think it's one of the most fun and elaborate shortcuts ever.

So step one is jamming the test chamber door open. You push a scientist to walk toward the door, then run into the test chamber to get the door trigger to fire and get stuck on the scientist. He's then standing there with the door mostly open and whirring obnoxiously.

Things proceed as normal until you push the sample in. Then you pull the cart out as far as it will go and run and hide in the side room that your scientist buddy kept open. This allows you to avoid all of the teleport triggers that would normally take you to Xen or other spooky places.

During one phase of the resonance cascade effects, alien slaves are spawned at the top of the room and fall down to teleport out when they get to the floor. These guys aren't just effects, but real actual enemies that you fight later on. They normally don't stay in the level long enough to shoot you. However, you pulled the cart out, so one spawns and drops onto the sample cart, avoiding its teleport out cue.

Now there's a real alien slave in the room, however it will be a while until you use him. In the meantime he's going to shoot whoever he sees, including your scientist buddy who's graciously holding the door open. So you have to pop out to draw fire and duck back behind a corner to avoid damage.

After the last teleport triggers, you're free to come out of the side room and jump from the center structure on top of the alien slave. You then crouch (which provides more boost for some reason) and jump right as he hits you with lightning. This gives you enough of a vertical boost so you can then hang on to an invisible ledge outside the observation window until the new, destroyed "Unforseen Consequences" map loads. At that point, you can climb in the window and start the sequence of green lightning, shaving a couple minutes of the run.

If you're interested in seeing it in action, the trick is done in the latest Half-Life speedrun:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7868139471476323322

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

I always loved that.

gta203secretsignlm4.jpg

That's GTA3, by the way.

That one was a glitch/wall-walking thing. I DO recall a Duke Nukem code.

;) Although it's not like these places are exactly "uncommon". I'm surprised Mario 64 didn't have one.

The Muffin Man on
    edited January 2007
    Davoid wrote:
    It is alot like the LA warp trick, except completely insane. Like, at least in LA you could somewhat recognize areas afterwards. Metroid 2 is just completely crazy.

Well, that's what you get for confusing the game into treating non-map related pieces of memory as map areas.

Early Metroid was a bit interesting in that the player's location in the world was nothing more than a pointer to an address space, which told the game which tiles to draw where on the screen. Every time you went through a door, it would increment or decrement the pointer some predefined amount.

Since they did very little sanity checking in those titles, if you corrupted where the pointer was pointing (by incrementing the pointer in an unintended way), it would quite cheerfully render whatever data it was pointed at to draw as part of the world. It could have been a sound file, or maybe some AI code, or maybe it was a data structure for an upgrade.

You were quite literally in the code, not that you would be able to translate any of it. Very Matrixey.

xzzy on
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Samus = Neo ?

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • StriderEdgeStriderEdge Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tiemler wrote:

turnazelda.jpg

Hmm... does that mean Zelda is linked to G-Gundam too? Poor Link.

StriderEdge on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    bumpity bump bump.

San Andreas had one of those signs too, right?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Ninja BotNinja Bot Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, on top of the golden gate bridge. You need a jetpack though.

Ninja Bot on
    edited January 2007
    xzzy wrote:
    Davoid wrote:

Well, that's what you get for confusing the game into treating non-map related pieces of memory as map areas.

Early Metroid was a bit interesting in that the player's location in the world was nothing more than a pointer to an address space, which told the game which tiles to draw where on the screen. Every time you went through a door, it would increment or decrement the pointer some predefined amount.

Since they did very little sanity checking in those titles, if you corrupted where the pointer was pointing (by incrementing the pointer in an unintended way), it would quite cheerfully render whatever data it was pointed at to draw as part of the world. It could have been a sound file, or maybe some AI code, or maybe it was a data structure for an upgrade.

You were quite literally in the code, not that you would be able to translate any of it. Very Matrixey.

Yea, the Metroid 1 secret worlds were also pretty freaking insane. Both the M1 and M2 secret worlds were probably my single favourite game glitches, traversing those areas were a new challenge unto themselves.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Where is TSR, Man? I need more eniticing Sonic Secrets!

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Jesus McChristJesus McChrist Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yes, indeed.

But while we're waiting, that LA warp trick was crazy. There's a couple of places where you end up in a cave full of items if you use it, which is sweet and also very odd. I think one of them gives you Marin, so you end up with her following you, and it completely screws up everything.

Jesus McChrist on
    if you can read this i hope you have a good day partner
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Speaking of Duke Nuke, going to the creepy alternate universe by noclipping through a mirror was neat.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    WHY wrote:
    Speaking of Duke Nuke, going to the creepy alternate universe by noclipping through a mirror was neat.

Come again?

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just watched the BCS game. I've got to get up real early, so today I actually am gonna go to bed instead of staying up late and posting more. I promise to post about sonic 3 tomorrow.

TheSonicRetard on
  • DJDeeJayDJDeeJay Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just watched the BCS game. I've got to get up real early, so today I actually am gonna go to bed instead of staying up late and posting more. I promise to post about sonic 3 tomorrow.

/cheer

DJDeeJay on
    FrozenMonk.png
  • Project MayhemProject Mayhem Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This is probably futile, but I tried firing up some Sonic 3 + Sonic & Knuckles today... turns out my sonic 3 cartridge won't work. I've tried cleaning it, is there anything else I can do? This is quite sad, I hope my used game shop has it in stock.

Project Mayhem on
  • Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Davoid wrote:
    CZroe wrote:
    Davoid wrote:
    xzzy wrote:
    Reynolds wrote:

http://m2sw.zophar.net/ I contributed once or twice to this place, actually, a long time ago.

I had a serious love-hate relationship with this game. I got stuck at one point where I could see a Metroid I needed to kill through a secret wall, but I couldn't figure out how to get to it. I would play and play and get nowhere. One time, I actually got to what I thought was a completely new area, but I died before I could save there, and never found it again.

I hated that lava so much.

Future Blues on
    Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd just like to say that the fact that there are things related to Sonic the Hedgehog that can not be discussed here truly disturbs me.

Also i've never encountered a glitch that made me particularly happy.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    So I hit ESC to get back into the game, thinking I might play a round or two. So the game is at the initial spawn screen, I pick my kit and go at it. When I actually get in the game, NOTHING is going on. Not a single bot is moving or responding to orders, they're all clumped around the spawn points. I even went up to enemies and they didn't even react. Believe me, it was an amazing 5 minutes that I spent bombarding the hell out of those hapless bots with wave after wave of artillery.../quote]

When I got BF2 I played a bot match to get some practice. No more than five seconds into the game, I'm running over to a hummvee and one of my squad members jumps into it and runs me over.

Incredibly true to the experience of playing against real opponents.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • The TommyThe Tommy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd just like to say that the fact that there are things related to Sonic the Hedgehog that can not be discussed here truly disturbs me.

Also i've never encountered a glitch that made me particularly happy.
    I've seen some of this stuff before, and mostly it can't be discussed because it relates to emulation. I think. As far as I can tell.

The Tommy on
    modestmousesig2ab5.png
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Not to hikack the thread with Zelda timeline stuff, but I just wanted to comment on the Zora/Rito thing.

A lot of people say, "zomg, the Zora couldn't evolve into the Rito in only 100 years," but really, the only source for the 100-year thing is a quote from an interview from either Miyamoto or Iwata (I can't recall who said it). Frankly, they could have been misquoted or mistranslated. Also, it was a comment made during development, and aspects of the story were subject to change.

In fact, the final game directly contradicts the statement. The King Of Hyrule says that the flood happened hundreds of years ago. That alone implies that it was at the very least two centuries, which renders the 100-year statement void.

TibrisXVII's comment makes a lot of sense. The Goddesses flooded Hyrule because they wanted to seal it away. But that wouldn't be enough to keep the Zora out, so they used their magic to give the Zora lungs instead of gills (they don't evolve wings, they are a magic gift from Valoo).

I also think that LOZ and ALttP take place after TWW, and that the Zora in those games:

zora.gif

evolved from these guys:

fishman.gif

Dirty on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Athenor wrote:
    WHY wrote:

Come again?
    DNCLIP = Lets you walk through walls and walk through mirrors to enter the 4th Dimension
    Some glitches in Duke Nukem 3d:
    http://www.red-stars.net/content/Duke_Nukem_3D_Glitches

Couscous on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    RandomEngy wrote:
    Half-Life has some nice glitches. I'll explain the test chamber trick that Spider-Waffle came up with because I think it's one of the most fun and elaborate shortcuts ever.

So step one is jamming the test chamber door open. You push a scientist to walk toward the door, then run into the test chamber to get the door trigger to fire and get stuck on the scientist. He's then standing there with the door mostly open and whirring obnoxiously.

Things proceed as normal until you push the sample in. Then you pull the cart out as far as it will go and run and hide in the side room that your scientist buddy kept open. This allows you to avoid all of the teleport triggers that would normally take you to Xen or other spooky places.

During one phase of the resonance cascade effects, alien slaves are spawned at the top of the room and fall down to teleport out when they get to the floor. These guys aren't just effects, but real actual enemies that you fight later on. They normally don't stay in the level long enough to shoot you. However, you pulled the cart out, so one spawns and drops onto the sample cart, avoiding its teleport out cue.

Now there's a real alien slave in the room, however it will be a while until you use him. In the meantime he's going to shoot whoever he sees, including your scientist buddy who's graciously holding the door open. So you have to pop out to draw fire and duck back behind a corner to avoid damage.

After the last teleport triggers, you're free to come out of the side room and jump from the center structure on top of the alien slave. You then crouch (which provides more boost for some reason) and jump right as he hits you with lightning. This gives you enough of a vertical boost so you can then hang on to an invisible ledge outside the observation window until the new, destroyed "Unforseen Consequences" map loads. At that point, you can climb in the window and start the sequence of green lightning, shaving a couple minutes of the run.

If you're interested in seeing it in action, the trick is done in the latest Half-Life speedrun:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7868139471476323322

That grenade boost on the railway to go to hyperspeed bunnyhopping at 10 health is just class. Also finishing the game at 1 health.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • ZephZeph Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    One of the funniest glitches I've ever seen was the 'superman' bug in Battlefield 1942. IIRC, you did it by jumping toward some water and then pounding the jump key right as you hit it - this would cause you to quite literally fly through the air at a ridiculous height. You'd come down eventually, but you could cover a ton of ground doing so. The glitch was especially ridiculous for the Omaha Beach map because the allies could essentially drop paratroopers way behind enemy lines :roll:

It actually worked online for a short time before a patch was released, and it got pretty out of hand as it became increasingly common knowledge. Not quite so funny if you were in a serious competition (I wasn't), but in a random match it was utterly hilarious. Especially when someone would do it and then their entire team would stand around trying to do it too - I had some fun sniping people in the water when this happened :lol:

Zeph on
  • DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Is it just me, or does the negative level glitch not work in the Wii release of SMB?

Dourin on
    edited January 2007
    Dourin wrote:
    Is it just me, or does the negative level glitch not work in the Wii release of SMB?

Oh, it works. I've demonstrated it several times along with my world 1-1 music glitch, walkin' on one foot, etc.

CZroe on