As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Burnout Paradise - Where we're going, we don't need roads.

WillethWilleth Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Games and Technology
title.jpg
Metacritic: Xbox 360 - 88 | PS3 - 87

...is the fifth Burnout game for consoles, and the first for Windows. It is available NOW in all regions for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, with the PC version coming on February 6th.

Burnout Paradise - The Ultimate Box is a rerelease of the game that contains all the previously-released free packs (new cars, challenges, online modes and bikes with a day/night cycle and weather), as well as the Party Pack, a collection of local play modes, all on-disc. It's available now worldwide for PC, and in Europe and Asia for Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

Burnout Paradise is also available on Playstation Network for twenty bucks.

The Party Pack is also available to buy separately as console DLC if you already own the game for 800MSP/£7.99 (or equivalent).

Also coming on Thursday Feb 19th: Legendary Cars!
medium_3019605846_784aa4f17c_o.jpg

Knock-offs of the DeLorean, KITT, Ecto-1 and the General Lee coming to a console near you for an indetermined price!

ORIGINAL MASSIVE OP:
Not your father's Burnout

Criterion decided to go in a different direction for Paradise. Instead of a grinding progression of event after event, you are dropped into a city. Paradise City. Every junction is a new event, which you start by parking up and spinning your wheels, and they end at one of eight places, at each compass point. Explore the city, get to know the shortcuts, get to know the dodgy corners. Take every event as it comes. How to progress is entirely up to you. Fail an event? Start a new one that's around where you failed, or trek back if you want.

But I liked Revenge! They've changed too much!

Well then, no-one's stopping you playing Revenge. Some of the major features that you might miss are the lack of a Crash Mode and the lack of local multiplayer. But this is an entirely different game, and works as a whole very well. The open world setting also means that grand prix lap races have been axed, as well. Traffic Checking now works much better - instead of firing cars all over the road like a pinball machine, it'll now depend on your class of car a lot more. You can still send them careening in a 4X4 if you want, though.
What you won't miss is Stryker, the obnoxious DJ wanker.
You now have DJ Atomika, fresh from Radio BIG and slightly less obnoxious and wanky.

No local multi? I had so much fun with my friends in Crash Mode!

It does suck a little. But trust me, once you get stuck in, it won't matter at all. The philosophy behind Burnout Paradise was that you should never see a menu if at all possible, and never be removed from the gameplay. What little menus are required you can pull up with the d-pad, and you can hop straight into online without a hitch. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
Unfortunately the nature of the open world means that it would be a massive drain on the system to have local multiplayer, and would mean that the locked 60 frames-per-second that is necessary for such a twitch-based game would have to be compromised. Crash Mode as it was in previous Burnouts doesn't fit this open-world, do anywhere setting. By its nature, it's very constrained.
There is a replacement for both of these, though - Showtime, and a very robust set of online features.

What else is new?

There's a handbrake. Miss a turn in a vast city and you're suddenly lost. Hit the brake and scream round and you're suddenly back on track. Or if you want, just find another shortcut to the finish line. Or quit out of the event and find some parked cars, and Power Park into the space. Up to you.

As well as Race and Road Rage, there are a few new events.

Marked Man is a race from a junction to a finish point, and is kind of a mix between Road Rage and Race. You don't need to get there first, but you do need to get there - as unmarked black cars are all trying to ram you off the road. Get taken out too much and you fail. Survive to win.

Stunt Run is best described as Tony Hawk in a car. It sounds awful, but the only thing that really affects this is the combo mechanic. After doing any type of stunt - a jump, a flat spin, a barrel roll, whatever - you'll get a multiplier and some points. Drifts and boosts will gain you points. Almost everything will gain you points. And you'll also get a 'timer pie' at the top of the screen. This gives you five seconds in which to do another stunt. Fail to do so and you lose your combo. Do so, and refill your timer pie and keep your combo going! Fail to get the requisite amount of points within the time limit and you fail. Fail.

Showtime is the reimagining of Crash Mode for an open world that I mentioned earlier. Hit R1 and L1 together (or RB and LB) and you'll launch into the air, bouncing your car along the street. A dollar damage amount for hitting other cars and billboards, and multipliers for buses, as well as boost for multiples of 5 crashes. Run out of boost, show's over, and your total is calculated.

Road Rules exist for every road in the game. They all have names and they can all be owned in two ways - a Showtime score beginning on that road, or the fastest time set on that road (a Time Road Rule). The game will automatically compare your scores to those of your friends and let you know if one of them beats your score. Beat a friend's score online in the same match, and you get to send a Mugshot to them, mocking them.

Mugshots can be taken if you have an Xbox Live Vision Camera or a PS3-compatible USB camera (like the Playstation Eye). Get taken down by someone online? You've got three seconds to give them the finger before it takes a snapshot of you and it pops up on their screen. Great little feature and an opportunity to try on lots of pretty hats.

Freeburn is new to Burnout. It sounds like what it is. Just open up your 'Easy Drive' menu, which pops up in the corner of your screen while you're driving around, and select 'Online Freeburn'. Bam.
You're now in an online game with some other people.

Yes, it's that seamless.

You are driving around the same city, with the same level of detail, in the same place, with virtually no lag and no frame drops. Except you now have seven other people somewhere else in the city. It's very impressive.
Now you're in Freeburn, try out some Freeburn challenges. There are fifty two-player challenges, fifty three-player ones, and so on, up to eight-player, for a total of 250 challenges. These range from 'Everyone get 200 yards of drift' to 'Jump over each other while barrel rolling' to 'Crash into each other while airborne over the broken bridge'. And it's a ton of fun.

For completionists, there's a ton of collectibles. 500 gates, 200 billboards, and fifty jumps to find. Stuck on any of 'em? On PS3? Lob your save on a USB stick and use the Save Game Analyser, which will tell you where all the ones you need are located. And if that's not enough, there's eighty or so cars to collect - you'll see them boosting around the city like a maniac, and if you take 'em down, they're yours.

Oh wait, there's more - each car has a different boost type. Aggression cars tend to be heavier and gain more boost from Oncoming and Traffic Checking (and can earn more boost in total), Stunt cars get more from... stunts, and Speed cars earn Boost like Stunt cars but can only use it once the boost is maxed out. Use all of a Speed car's boost in one go and you'll get a Burnout, and it'll refill part-way - all the way if you've done enough boost earning while losing the first lot. Keep doing this to get a Boost Chain and boost constantly.

I want to get involved, and get up-to-the-minute info!

Then check out the official website. They also have a podcast that they release every week or so, called Crash FM. Here's the RSS feed.

Criterion also runs contests for game content - some of the new stuff coming soon is community-created.

--

Didn't this come out already?

Paradise has been out for a good while. You might already have completed it to 100% - or 101%. But on July 10th, the 'Cagney' update was released through PSN, and Xbox Live gets it on August 4th, which adds more stuff. On September 18th, the Davis Bike Pack will be launched. Which adds even more.
Cagney:
I'm here to crash cars, not win Oscars!

No, no. Cagney is the codename for Criterion's first substantial batch of DLC (what they call 'Game-Changing Content,' or GCC), out on PS3 and 360 right now. This adds a bunch more functionality to the game that was not available at release - for free!

- Online Road Rage, Stunt Run, Marked Man
- 70 New Freeburn Challenges, including time limits and challenges with multiple goals
- At least two new vehicles (One very fast and heavy, but with no boost at all)
- At least five new paint jobs for your car, including two created by members of the community
- Rebalancing of ranked races
- Custom Soundtrack support on PS3
- Bug fixes and improvements to the UI and certain behaviour balancing
- Always recording Time Road Rules

To get the update on PS3, simply pop the disc in while online. Your system will tell you there's an update available, and will download it. On 360, first go to Xbox Live Marketplace and download the Burnout Paradise Cagney Pack. Once it's completed, load up the game while online and it will prompt you for a Title Update. Once it's done you're good to go.

Bike Pack (Davis) - September 18th:

Night driving and crotch rockets!

2487249182_3315d9125a.jpg

2851457582_a39ff50202.jpg

2851456870_25840d8e31.jpg

A full new single-player mode for motorcycles, with a male or female rider, including against-the-clock events and races.
A fully customisable day/night cycle that traffic adheres to - if it's night, there's a lot less of it, and so on. If you want you can sync it to your system clock.
Dynamic weather. Watch it on Dead Man's Edge on a rainy night.
70 Bike-specific Freeburn Challenges - bringing the total to 490.
Did I mention that it's free?

Kotaku have the official Criterion trailer here,
Eastwood (expected Autumn/Fall 2008):
A new island to cruise around on!

2449984310_0298efceeb.jpg

2536923884_d17e14c221.jpg

2496871983_13d4d97e3d.jpg

2496872221_71d0a85ff0.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yENL_Udt7gc

Try before you buy

The demo is available on the Xbox Live Marketplace and Playstation Network, but as of April 17th 2008 the online multiplayer mode is unavailable through the demo. You play with a Hunter Cavalry, the first car available in the game, through a series of events - a custom Burning Route for the demo, a race against AI cars, and a Stunt Run event. All of these events take place in a smaller section of the map than the full game, and contains a small amount of jumps, smashes, and billboards. If you get the Japanese demo you can drive the Nakamura Ikusa GT instead of the Cavalry, which handles slightly differently.

I have the game, and I want to play with you guys!

palicence.jpg
Burnout+PA.png

For Xbox Live, send a Friend Request to Burnout PA - it's checked daily. (NOTE: If you were on the previous PAburnout friends list, you will have an invite to the new one waiting in your inbox and you can delete PAburnout as this is no longer maintained. If you do not accept this invite by the time of Cagney's release then you will be removed from the list and will have to re-invite yourself.) This works by using the Friends of Friends feature - simply go to the Burnout PA list, select View Friends from the right-hand tab, and see who's playing from PA.

If you are on PSN, send me (Willeth) a PM on the PA boards and I'll add you to the list below, which I'll fill out fully ASAP.

Xbox Live:
Forum name - Gamertag
Lothars - LOTHAR71
urahonky - IMAPWNJ00
Willeth - Willeth

PSN:
Forum name - PSN ID
Ah_Pook - Ah_Pook
bficky - BFicky
bigwah - Bigwah03
The Reverend Dr Galactus - RevDrGalactus
The_Spaniard - Span_Wolf

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
@gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
Willeth on

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wait... they got rid of Crash mode!? D: Oh man noooooo! That is easily my favorite part about Burnout :(

I suck at everything else. Oh well... These new updates sound pretty sweet. I'll have the game sometime next week, so you can add me: IMAPWNJ00 (00 = zeros).

e: That sounded like I was hating on the game, but the main reason I like burnout is that it doesn't take itself seriously at all. It WANTS you to blow shit up and wreck around other people.

urahonky on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    add me: IMAPWNJ00 (00 = zeros).

Send an invite.

And yeah, I was bummed about Crash dying too, but now I don't miss it at all. Not even the massive loading between each turn.

Willeth on
  • wakeboarderbluntwakeboarderblunt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There was a gamertag PAburnout that was a collection of PA forumers, it probably still has room on it.

wakeboarderblunt on
    stripessig.jpg
    WBblunt.gif
    edited June 2008
    There was a gamertag PAburnout that was a collection of PA forumers, it probably still has room on it.

It does, but I haven't seen smashism in a while and I wanted to get everything under one umbrella. If he's happy to continue maintaining it then forget about the new one, but my control freakery kinda took over here. This way at least we get people who'll be playing it for Cagney or who've bought it recently.

EDIT: Just got a PM from smashism, he doesn't play any more, so we're going to use the new one from now on.

Willeth on
  • LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I picked this up finally for 360, is anyone still playing?

Lothars on
    edited June 2008
    I got it too, but I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet. I don't like how "open" the game is, believe it or not. It's kind of a pain to do races since you're not quite sure when to turn and whatnot (I know it tells you when, but I pay attention to the road more than anything). That and smashing the back of traffic now makes you crash, instead of knocking them ahead like in Revenge.

That said, the game is beautiful and the driving is a little smoother.

urahonky on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    this is the game i got when i got my ps3, and im still playing it like crack however many months later. just an incredibly great game, probably my 3rd favorite racing game ever at this point (after Burnout 3 and F-Zero GX you know). so yea... the new DLC is making me reaaaaaally excited. bikes! nighttime! online marked man! new island! custom soundtrack!! man... and its all free too, thats pretty incredible.

so... if anyone wants to play some burnout online sometime my PSN is in my sig there.

Ah_Pook on
    edited June 2008
    Lothars wrote: »
    So I picked this up finally for 360, is anyone still playing?

Add yourself to Burnout PA and you can invite people or join people from that list. Once my 360's back from the shop (tomorrow, most likely) I'll be on.

urahonky, it definitely pays to get to know the city. I'd jump online and do some challenges if I were you. Now, when an event says 'go to the waterfront' I know pretty much the best way to get to it from anywhere. I've never really used the compass or paid any attention to the blinking signs.

Unfortunately it's most likely that the island will be paid, and bikes may well be too. :(

Willeth on
    edited June 2008
    Yeah. That's my only thing about racing games -- learning. :P But I'll probably be playing it more this weekend. I do like being able to flip your car into traffic. That's always fun. :P

urahonky on
    edited June 2008
    i was under the impression from somewhere or another that all the updates were supposed to be free, but now that im looking at it i dont really know where i got that from

but i mean, i would totally pay for bikes and nighttime and a new island so i guess it doesnt matter much in the end

Ah_Pook on
    edited June 2008
    Criterion have been very vocal about how they want to keep expanding their game and make it as accessible as possible, but they've been very careful not to call it free. I'm amazed that, being published by EA, that they've managed to release this much content for free already. They must be under tremendous pressure to charge for it. One of the achievements even refers to new challenges as paid DLC.

Willeth on
    edited June 2008
    looking through the complete changelog for the cagney update theres a bunch of neat little things going in, in addition to the excellent big stuff. some things that stuck out to me personally

• Online cars now show damage - roll up to the start in a half-destroyed Hunter Cavalry and everyone else will see it!
    • 1080i support for "almost HD" sets - PS3 only

Ah_Pook on
  • sackofjoysackofjoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I got this last month I think played it solid for a week(actually mostly just aimless driving lol) then got a bit bored. I think its because I mostly have played racing games where I get to keep my car and upgrade that instead of just a new car buuut online was super fun

sackofjoy on
    [ Steam: sackofjoy ] [ Xbox: sackofjoy ]
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    PSN
    The_Spaniard - Span_Wolf

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited July 2008
    Cagney's been delayed until July 14th for 360 users. Their podcast is going up today with details about their new calendar feature, which I will update the OP with once it's out.

Willeth on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    lul360

Wait, I have the 360 version. fuck.

Big Classy on
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lame. I've been waiting for this ever since it was announced.

EskimoDave on
    edited July 2008
    EskimoDave wrote: »
    Lame. I've been waiting for this ever since it was announced.
    And you're still going to get it.

Also, Crash FM seems to be borked on the RSS feed. If anyone wants to grab the file of iTunes and wing it over to me before they get it fixed, I'd appreciate it.

Willeth on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'll probably pick this up at the end of august. Or maybe I'll wait for the PC version in case someone mods in a decent GPS.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    this is the game i got when i got my ps3, and im still playing it like crack however many months later.

Same here, though it was only last month for me. These upcoming patches/content packs are like having a birthday less than a month after Christmas, then another in February and another in March.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I'll probably pick this up at the end of august. Or maybe I'll wait for the PC version in case someone mods in a decent GPS.

It's still $20 in the Gamefly used store, if that helps. Also, their used games - by all accounts I've ever heard, including my own - are as clean or cleaner than most new games.

freakish light on
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sent a friend request to Burnout PA via my Live account "WorldClassHack".

I'm surprised Cagney is coming out, actually. I almost had it pegged as one of those "over the rainbow" things that is perpetually on the horizon. Damage showing up in multiplayer, though? Sweet. Looking forward to it.

Legba on
  • reddogreddog The Mountain Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just added the BurnoutPA to my live account. I'm RockinTheRedDog.

I just picked this game up from Gamefly for only $17.99 and I can't stop playing this. They still have it up there if anyone wants to get it.

Did anyone see on Kotaku that Burnout might introduce planes next?

reddog on
    reddog.png
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited July 2008
    So I was just rocking some showtime after losing a road rage event downtown, and racked up a nice amount of damage on 7th street, which the game then told me was a new "best offline score."

How far out does this competition go? I can't believe that would actually be like the best in the country or something, but if anyone on PS3 could give that a look on their map... 7th street is slightly northwest of the central business district, by the river; set it to Display > Road Rules / Type > Showtime.

That doesn't actually have my name and $977,000, right?

valar-moreshellus.png
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, I haven't tried it, but the term offline says to me that you're not on leaderboards.

freakish light on
  • rippa2krippa2k Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, Offline means highest personal score... now go into freeburn mode (online) and do it again, you can start setting real scores on the leaderboard

rippa2k on
    My Niko is going to start wearing purple, wearing purple, da-da-da-da-da!

latekillerbean.png
    edited July 2008
    That's what I thought, but I just found it weird that all the streets have apparently random usernames with high scores attached.

Where did these ones come from?

valar-moreshellus.png
    edited July 2008
    Usernames are either made-up or the usernames of Criterion staffers. An 'offline' time is a preset time for you to beat, an 'online' time is set by you and your friends.

Willeth on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I should get back into this.

Veevee on
    edited July 2008
    Veevee wrote: »

I recommend that you do.

EDIT: Looks like Microsoft found some bugs in the 360 version of Cagney. Current working date for release is July 24th. The PS3 update is out now in Japan, and will go out 9AM GMT in all other regions. I've updated the OP.

Willeth on
  • LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Willeth wrote: »

I recommend that you do.

EDIT: Looks like Microsoft found some bugs in the 360 version of Cagney. Current working date for release is July 24th. The PS3 update is out now in Japan, and will go out 9AM GMT in all other regions. I've updated the OP.

That really sucks, I love how it's now gonna be 2 weeks late for 360, the joys of MS certification.

Lothars on
    edited July 2008
    so if i sign in with my japanese account can i update this and play it regularly after that? ive never messed with DLC for a game cross region. im assuming its not that easy, but ive been wrong before.

Ah_Pook on
    edited July 2008
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    so if i sign in with my japanese account can i update this and play it regularly after that? ive never messed with DLC for a game cross region. im assuming its not that easy, but ive been wrong before.

I suppose this is too late, but I wouldn't bother. It's out now in every region for the PS3, so just grab it.

Willeth on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I recommend that you do.

That really sucks, I love how it's now gonna be 2 weeks late for 360, the joys of MS certification.

Ehm, if they found BUGS in the update and are now fixing them, I will gladly wait a few days.

Are you really telling me that them having found and now fixing bugs is a BAD thing? You would rather get a buggy update? Really?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Klyka wrote: »

I recommend that you do.

Ehm, if they found BUGS in the update and are now fixing them, I will gladly wait a few days.

Are you really telling me that them having found and now fixing bugs is a BAD thing? You would rather get a buggy update? Really?

The joys of PC gaming.

Oh wait.

Veevee on
    edited July 2008
    Three hunna sixtah megs wortha patch, that's wut.

valar-moreshellus.png
    edited July 2008
    impressions

new menus/intro screen/news screen are all very nice. the new weekly events and such look fun too. custom soundtracks are just awesome, though its kind of a shame it doesnt do it like the music in the real game (fade out when you crash etc). also the music volume goes up to 11, i dont know if it was always like that or what but it gave me a chuckle. new paint jobs are cool. looking forward to the new cars, i guess theyre unlocked through special events (the olympus is something this weekend for example). i really like how road rules are always on now, so you can get time road rules while youre just messing around without having to actually activate it. havent tried the new online modes yet, but im sure theyre awesome. hopefully tonight, hit me up PA dudes. i'll be around.

so yea, this patch is great. bring on the bikes!

edit: oh shit the citizen has sirens now. yesssssss.

edit edit: being able to crank NWOBHM while smashing into things at extreme speeds makes this game approximately 100x more radical. to the max.

Ah_Pook on
    edited July 2008
    me and xwonderboyx just tried out some online, the timed challenges seem pretty great. the road rage and marked man dont really work very well 1v1, but they seem like they will be intensely good with a decent amount of people.

we need to get some big PA games going this weekend. tonight, tomorrow night... all the nights. it must be done.

Ah_Pook on
  • PlacerPlacer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Holy shit, reading about what they're doing with the DLC makes this a must buy as soon as i have the cash to spare.

Placer on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]